[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Forum Suggestions and Feedback

Comments

• KurtKurt
    Reactions: 1,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    If I remember right, the very first forums we had allowed signatures. Is this a feature we could get for these forums?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    Moved threads should leave some kind of pointer behind (like in the old forums).
    Otherwise, people think their threads got deleted, and sometimes remake them.
  • zSethzSeth
    Reactions: 800
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    i'd love to see a forum event... as celebration or so?, like a drawing contest ^^ didn't had any of these in years.

to the forum itself: im quite happy with it. except for the avatar's. custom ones are way better =(
    tangoran
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited September 2016
    KThxBaiNao

Hey everyone,

New forums means room for growth and improvement!
    What are some suggestions or feedback you have regarding the new forums?
    It could be anything from "I don't like the color" to "Can you implement X feature?"
    Hmmm. I've been away for a bit and didn't notice we switched until about 10 minutes ago.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about the new forums yet. I haven't had a chance to see how responsive they are etc...

Design wise however, the page looks like it was primarily designed for a mobile device (same as the new website....) and I am not a fan of that. Specifically, it seems that a lot of space is wasted, and I can see less content on a single screen now without being forced to scroll down. This is especially evident on the front page of the forums, where just the categories of the subforums takes up 3 pages on my laptop, and its a pretty big screen. I would like to see that view compacted some. Actual thread pages are much nicer to look at then they were on the old forum system. But moderator posts do not stand out nearly as much as I think they should. The Red border is nice, but a tad small and I didn't even notice it at first, combine that with the fact that you no longer have a unique avatar and I actually have to search for your comments in threads. I think that moderators, or at least Nexon Employees' posts should stand out immediately.

I have no clue what a reaction is, and am a bit disappointed that you guys felt the need to write an entirely new forum system instead of just redoing the old one (which would have kept all of those threads). Slightly off topic, but could you please keep it open for at least a year in read only mode. A lot of old discussions will be completely lost when you shut down the old forums.

Overall, I have to say the forums are much nicer, easier on the eyes for sure, but they do feel like you took out what little individuality the old forums allowed us (no unique avatars, no more titles, I haven't seen any signatures yet, no way of knowing who has actually been contributing to the forums for a while. On the new ones everyone is a "new" user. One last thing I would change, is at the top of each thread where it tells you which subforum you are in (eg Home/Suggestions and Feedback for this thread), could you please add on the actual post to the end of that link like it was in the old forums?
    Uzume
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited September 2016
    gamechanger

KThxBaiNao

Hey everyone,

New forums means room for growth and improvement!
    What are some suggestions or feedback you have regarding the new forums?
    It could be anything from "I don't like the color" to "Can you implement X feature?"
    Hmmm. I've been away for a bit and didn't notice we switched until about 10 minutes ago.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about the new forums yet. I haven't had a chance to see how responsive they are etc...

Design wise however, the page looks like it was primarily designed for a mobile device (same as the new website....) and I am not a fan of that. Specifically, it seems that a lot of space is wasted, and I can see less content on a single screen now without being forced to scroll down. This is especially evident on the front page of the forums, where just the categories of the subforums takes up 3 pages on my laptop, and its a pretty big screen. I would like to see that view compacted some. Actual thread pages are much nicer to look at then they were on the old forum system. But moderator posts do not stand out nearly as much as I think they should. The Red border is nice, but a tad small and I didn't even notice it at first, combine that with the fact that you no longer have a unique avatar and I actually have to search for your comments in threads. I think that moderators, or at least Nexon Employees' posts should stand out immediately.
    You'll get accustomed to it in short order. Nexon employees have a reddish-orange border around their posts, volunteers have a purple/burgundy/whatever color border, and miscellaneous Nexon employees(customer service, etc) have a blue one.

I have no clue what a reaction is, and am a bit disappointed that you guys felt the need to write an entirely new forum system instead of just redoing the old one (which would have kept all of those threads). Slightly off topic, but could you please keep it open for at least a year in read only mode. A lot of old discussions will be completely lost when you shut down the old forums.
    No clue what reactions are either, something to do with badges and like/insightful stuff. I don't think they wrote a new forum system in the way you're thinking. This is an entirely different forum software we're on now. Vanilla instead of, I believe, vBulletin. And I don't think they've said anything yet about the old forums being trashed completely, just read-only mode

Overall, I have to say the forums are much nicer, easier on the eyes for sure, but they do feel like you took out what little individuality the old forums allowed us (no unique avatars, no more titles, I haven't seen any signatures yet, no way of knowing who has actually been contributing to the forums for a while. On the new ones everyone is a "new" user. One last thing I would change, is at the top of each thread where it tells you which subforum you are in (eg Home/Suggestions and Feedback for this thread), could you please add on the actual post to the end of that link like it was in the old forums?
    They're working on unique avatars, just gotta be patient man. Titles might be a thing, not sure yet. Signatures, honestly, are obnoxious if opened to the general population, so I'm glad there are none at the moment.
    Replies in bold
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    Change the color of either the "new" or "official" tags on threads, please.
    Too easy to confuse when not paying close attention.

Also, some badges seem to either be described wrong or not working right.
    Nobody has earned the "Level 2 Like" (25 Likes) badge, which is odd, to say the least.
    And only two people have earned the "5 Insightfuls" badge, which again seems wrong.
    I believe these badges require you to have 5 Insightfuls or 25 Likes on a single post, instead of in total.
    (I still think we should just remove the entire badge system. But if we have to have it, at least make it work correctly).
    Lilyflower
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    Not getting notifications on my quoted posts all the time fix it please.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    chaoscauser

Not getting notifications on my quoted posts all the time fix it please.
    We're not supposed to get notifications on quoted posts at all (which is stupid, in my opinion). Look at your Profile->Notifications and you'll see no checkbox for quotes.

Unrelated issue:
    Sometimes clicking on the title of a thread (in the section list) takes me to the first post, sometimes to the last post, and sometimes to the first unread post. It seems completely random.
    Lilyflower
  • tangorantangoran
    Reactions: 300
    edited September 2016
    Can there be separate sections for individual class (or job, but that's probably too specific for now) discussion? Perhaps a "Classes" section right under General Chat in Maple Discussion and then the class subsections within that. I feel like this is most people's incentive to use forums -- to learn and discuss within the scope of their own job or class. Otherwise everything will just get drowned out in the general Maple discussion and no one will want to read through those posts. If you hope for the forum to expand a lot more you should cater for more specific discussions. I would definitely come back and check the forum constantly just to see what my fellow Bowmen are talking about. I definitely wouldn't come back often to sift through everything going on in general chat.

Also I feel the background is too dark. I think people are more comfortable with coming back to a lighter, brighter website. The current white/black color contrast is claustrophobic. Maybe make it a lighter color by default and/or give an option of a few colors.

Finally, eventually maybe have something to replace the latest developer posts at the top of the home page. All that text makes the page look boring. Maybe banners or something else instead.

I love the new forums and wish to see it develop into the main forum for players to use, so I hope you can consider my long-term recommendations.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    tangoran
    tangoran said:

Can there be separate sections for individual class (or job, but that's probably too specific for now) discussion? Perhaps a "Classes" section right under General Chat in Maple Discussion and then the class subsections within that. I feel like this is most people's incentive to use forums -- to learn and discuss within the scope of their own job or class. Otherwise everything will just get drowned out in the general Maple discussion and no one will want to read through those posts. If you hope for the forum to expand a lot more you should cater for more specific discussions. I would definitely come back and check the forum constantly just to see what my fellow Bowmen are talking about. I definitely wouldn't come back often to sift through everything going on in general chat.
    But most discussion is class-independent. You don't talk about Archery in a void, you talk about how to tackle X boss or where to train or how to allocate your hyperstats - all of which are very similar among many classes.
    I think class subsections are outdated in today's Maple, where so many classes have wildly differing characteristics despite being the same "class type", and vice versa.

tangoran
    tangoran said:

Also I feel the background is too dark. I think people are more comfortable with coming back to a lighter, brighter website. The current white/black color contrast is claustrophobic. Maybe make it a lighter color by default and/or give an option of a few colors.
    I expect that the black side bars will soon be replaced with a background image relevant to whatever the current Maple patch is, as it was on the old forums at times and as it is on the r/MapleStory subreddit.

tangoran
    tangoran said:

Finally, eventually maybe have something to replace the latest developer posts at the top of the home page. All that text makes the page look boring. Maybe banners or something else instead.
    I prefer text to the huge banner at the top of the old forums that served no purpose other than to make you have to scroll down every time you navigated to a new page.

However, I personally would compress those "developer posts" to a more concise "list of topics the developers have recently addressed" (something like the Nexon tracker in the old forums, except without duplicates for multiple posts in the same topic, and with a scrollbar). Those three huge boxes take up way too much space for how useful they are.

tangoran
    tangoran said:

I love the new forums and wish to see it develop into the main forum for players to use, so I hope you can consider my long-term recommendations.
    "Main forum" as opposed to where? As far as I know, the most active MapleStory fansite is currently r/MapleStory (reddit), in which all topics are jumbled together, there are minimal graphics, and the interface just plain sucks. It all comes down to to people being active and feeling like they're getting whatever they came to the forum for - information, socialization, etc. The UI can help, but it's not what will make the forum "main".
    Lilyflower
  • ZerukanZerukan
    Reactions: 780
    edited October 2016
    I haven't read the entirety of the thread, and I'm pretty sure someone has probably suggested these, but I'll say them anyways.
    -Signatures. I know they were removed because years ago there was some abuse with it, but that was years ago. I say we give it another chance, with rules on how large images can be and what not.
    -Discord group. I see more and more people moving to Discord, and it would be interesting to have the forum be able to have a place to chat.
    -If not discord, a shoutbox.
    -Colored backgrounds for stickied threads, so people can tell they're stickied easier.

Other than these, I don't see anything else that needs changed.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Would be nice if we could show our characters off in our profile sought of like how it worked on Basil Market. Also be able select those characters as avatars.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Is there a time estimate for when we'll get the custom avatars?

The forums are getting more active with more people, which is a good thing, but it means a lot of duplicate avatars, and that's confusing.
    Lilyflower
  • SparkzSparkz
    Reactions: 1,070
    edited October 2016
    Can you implement a thread preview via mouse cursor hover similar to the one we had in the old forum?
    astrosnotAKradianNiightseeker
  • Gennosuke7Gennosuke7
    Reactions: 630
    edited October 2016
    maple story should add unlimited friend list should add as much we want also make better training area from 1 -200 and high level area for 200-250
    it super hard to train
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited October 2016
    Ooh...what if we could use our character sprites as avatars (instead of having to make them on Bannedstory kek)...wouldn't that be cool? THey could be animated but thats not what I care about...I wanna show off my Faf to the world (lols I kid...but I would love ppl to see my character)
  • astrosnotastrosnot
    Reactions: 1,265
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Feature request: Have the "Like" and "Insightful" buttons on a post remain highlighted/lit after a user marks it so.

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I click those buttons multiple times to make sure that the counter increases (those numbers are tiny). If those buttons remained highlighted after one click, then it'd prevent those minor inconveniences.
  • KThxBaiNaoKThxBaiNao
    Reactions: 11,690
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for the suggestions and feedback, everyone.

I've got a decently sized list by the point so I'll go ahead and forward this and we'll see what comes from there. :)
    OneLetterLilyflower
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited October 2016
    Use the avatars of the OG Cygnus Knights instead of the knights themselves, they're ugly :(

I see Oz and Mihile but that's all.
  • UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited October 2016
    Petalmagic

Ooh...what if we could use our character sprites as avatars (instead of having to make them on Bannedstory kek)...wouldn't that be cool? THey could be animated but thats not what I care about...I wanna show off my Faf to the world (lols I kid...but I would love ppl to see my character)
    I'd rather that not be the case, considering I, and I'm sure others, don't play the game. If they allowed both custom and the character in game as available avatar options that's fine, but I feel as if we'd only have one or the other. I could be wrong though.