[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

White Hair Color

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited July 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Current Situation

Every hairstyle in Maplestory is sprited in 8 colors: Black, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, and brown.
30020_Rebel.png

In addition, the item "Mix Dye Hair Coupon" allows the user to mix any two of the listed colors, in any proportion desired, to create a unique shade of their own.

Problems with the current situation

1. White hair color does not have its own color-slot. Some styles are available in white, but in those cases, White replaces some other color. For example, the famous White Evan Hair is in the "Green" slot. This means that hairstyle is not available in green.
00F7J-7ef54c2b-5b88-46ac-9b40-e108d619080b.png
This also means that if a character has white Evan Hair and then uses a hairstyle coupon to get another style, their hair will become green instead of keeping its white color.

2. Some hairstyles, like the two pictured above, have colors that are vivid and saturated. Others have gentler, pastel shades, like Metrosexual:
30260_Metrosexual.png
Users have no control over this. If a player would like their character to have jet-black Metrosexual hair, they can't.

Suggestion

1. Add White as a color in its own right.

2. Make all hairstyles have saturated colors, as a base.

3. Add White as an option to Mix Dye Hair Coupon. This will enable people who like pastel-toned hair, to mix their hair color with white until it's as light as they like it.

Discussion

I am aware that this is not a trivial change. It would require:
1. Creating new White sprites for all existing hairstyles.
2. Recoloring all existing delicate-colored hairstyles.
3. Setting the hair color of existing characters (including saved hairstyles) to a mix with white which most closely approximates the pastel color they had before the change.

However, I believe that the change would be worth the effort. It would give players much more freedom to customize their appearance, and reason to spend more on getting their hair just the way they like it.
PetalmagicXenomataJettLuvsURollsFennekinShadowParadoxArgentIts2Sharp4UJulyNihilisticNyxand 7 others.

Comments

• PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited July 2017
    I support this. I want black hair for certain characters...alongside RED hair as in...RED, not pink.
    krsk
  • ChingTheMonkeyChingTheMonkey
    Reactions: 1,165
    edited July 2017
    Yes!
    I was trying to make an archer based on Archer from Fate/Stay Night, but there wasn't a white hair colour.
    Although the black Fuzz hair looks ridiculously like his hair in the past.
  • CrystalOraCrystalOra
    Reactions: 3,135
    edited July 2017
    0.0 more colors for existing hairs? Me like!
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    I wonder if it'd be possible to add this in a kinda... different way?
    Rather than adding a whole new set of sprites to the game, simply add an option to the Mix Dye that lets you alter the fading of a color, the shading, whether you want it colored or just colorless, whatever that's called. You know, so if you want blood-red Evan hair, you can alter the options. Or maybe you want to have white Rebel hair, the classic hairstyle that all male Explorers used to always use, just take out all the color and alter the brightness to maximum so it's pure white. Darker than dark default Cygnus hair would just be no color rock bottom brightness.
    I hope that could be understood...
    krsk
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Thanks, Alex!
    Xenomata wrote: »
    I wonder if it'd be possible to add this in a kinda... different way?
    Rather than adding a whole new set of sprites to the game, simply add an option to the Mix Dye that lets you alter the fading of a color, the shading, whether you want it colored or just colorless, whatever that's called. You know, so if you want blood-red Evan hair, you can alter the options. Or maybe you want to have white Rebel hair, the classic hairstyle that all male Explorers used to always use, just take out all the color and alter the brightness to maximum so it's pure white. Darker than dark default Cygnus hair would just be no color rock bottom brightness.
    I hope that could be understood...

So you're suggesting changing the Mix Dye coupon, from a single slider to a full HSL color-picker? I'd love to have that much freedom. Not entirely sure how feasible it is. I don't know whether the mechanism Nexon uses to "mix" the pixel colors between two sprites can be adapted to work with any color. Remember that all hairstyles, even the most basic, are not a solid color. They always have some areas that are lighter or darker than the rest, at the very least. Some have entirely different hues.
    But if it's feasible, I'm for it.
    Rolls
  • KlaraKlara
    Reactions: 3,385
    edited August 2017
    I remember suggesting a HSL option last year but it didn't get as much attention as I hoped. :c
    http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/3692/custom-hair-eye-colour-coupon

About having each hairstyle in a saturated colour, do you still mean a single specific hue for all styles? My main hair is a dulled teal/turquoise mix and not many styles are available in it, so I would be pretty upset to lose that colour and not be able to obtain a similar ones in future royals. There are some very unique colours in the game so those who have them from specific styles won't appreciate a change. Warmth/coolness is also a large factor which cannot always be altered with the mix dye coupon.
    krsk
  • ZephyrusSpringZephyrusSpring
    Reactions: 1,325
    edited August 2017
    This is a great suggestion, but I'd be shocked if they ever actual did it. We're talking about a company that has multiple versions of untradable power elixirs. It's way too much work for the likes of them.
  • AnstoryAnstory
    Reactions: 200
    edited July 2018
    I support this 200%. I really really want dark black for my character!! For some hair color which have "black become white", even if I mix brown and purple, it still can not achieve the dark black I wanted. Really support this!!!

Maybe they should just revamp the whole thing and make hair color fully tailor-able.