[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.234 Destiny: Homecoming Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

New Rune System

YinYangXYinYangX
Reactions: 3,695
Posts: 1,353
Member, Private Tester
edited August 2017 in General Chat
So maybe I should put this in Suggestions/Requests, but thoughts on the Rune System modifications?

I might be understanding the patch notes wrong, but from what I'm getting, these changes will kill the Rune System:

1. Mobs have to be +lvl20 for runes to spawn. Maybe I'm just a nub with no damage, but I usually farm monsters at my lvl (Me: lvl 210, farms Dark Vanity in Kritias or Pineapple Deers in Chu Chu). Also, farm +lvl20 = no event/sudden mission count.
2. "the rune will disappear and the effect won't trigger if the rune is 20 levels above the character's level" So you can create runes but nothing will happen if you trigger them? (unless the mobs are exactly 20 lvls above, me: 210, mobs:230, not 229 or 231)
3. Neglected runes get cursed, so basically if someone decides to leave a rune, no one will ever activate it because they don't know if it's cursed or not, meaning curse will only get worse and every map will eventually have a cursed rune.

Someone please correct me if my understanding is wrong/flawed, ty.

Comments

  • ModestyModesty
    Reactions: 1,005
    Posts: 61
    Member
    edited August 2017
    It "SHOULD" be wrong, because it "SHOULD" only be: "In addition, you can now also spawn runes when hunting monsters 20+ levels above you. You can also now claim these runes, but you will not get any of the effects from the rune except that it will not be able to become cursed rune if claimed in a timely manner. A rune becoming a cursed runes will lower the EXP and DROP rate of the map. After claiming these cursed runes, the EXP and DROP rate will increase back to the base value."

    In other words, no cursed rune in map = good. So get all runes you see spawned.
  • Nick008Nick008
    Reactions: 925
    Posts: 59
    Member
    edited August 2017
    It says your a Maplestory private tester. You should understand these changes better than we do!
    YinYangXDarkPassenger
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,695
    Posts: 1,353
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Nick008 wrote: »
    It says your a Maplestory private tester. You should understand these changes better than we do!

    Haven't had a chance to get on PTS recently, so in that regard, I'm a failure, but I belive that's semi-beside the point. =L
    Nick008
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,695
    Posts: 1,353
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Modesty wrote: »
    It "SHOULD" be wrong, because it "SHOULD" only be: "In addition, you can now also spawn runes when hunting monsters 20+ levels above you. You can also now claim these runes, but you will not get any of the effects from the rune except that it will not be able to become cursed rune if claimed in a timely manner. A rune becoming a cursed runes will lower the EXP and DROP rate of the map. After claiming these cursed runes, the EXP and DROP rate will increase back to the base value."

    In other words, no cursed rune in map = good. So get all runes you see spawned.

    Okay, that semi-clears things up, thought it was "Runes will ONLY be created in areas"
    But your second part doesn't really address the problem I mentioned in 3. In general, getting all the runes you spawn is good, but if someone accidentally leaves one/doesn't bother, then the next person that comes to train on the same field sees a rune that's been there for some unknown time and won't want to risk activating a cursed rune, thus leaving it.
  • ModestyModesty
    Reactions: 1,005
    Posts: 61
    Member
    edited August 2017
    YinYangX wrote: »
    Modesty wrote: »
    It "SHOULD" be wrong, because it "SHOULD" only be: "In addition, you can now also spawn runes when hunting monsters 20+ levels above you. You can also now claim these runes, but you will not get any of the effects from the rune except that it will not be able to become cursed rune if claimed in a timely manner. A rune becoming a cursed runes will lower the EXP and DROP rate of the map. After claiming these cursed runes, the EXP and DROP rate will increase back to the base value."

    In other words, no cursed rune in map = good. So get all runes you see spawned.

    Okay, that semi-clears things up, thought it was "Runes will ONLY be created in areas"
    But your second part doesn't really address the problem I mentioned in 3. In general, getting all the runes you spawn is good, but if someone accidentally leaves one/doesn't bother, then the next person that comes to train on the same field sees a rune that's been there for some unknown time and won't want to risk activating a cursed rune, thus leaving it.

    No no, after the new person picks up the rune, BAM, the map goes back to the base values. No more debuffs. So no runes in map = good.
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,695
    Posts: 1,353
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Modesty wrote: »

    No no, after the new person picks up the rune, BAM, the map goes back to the base values. No more debuffs. So no runes in map = good.

    "claimed in a timely manner" Meaning if someone picks up after 5mins, it's still a cursed rune, no?
    Here's the scenario I'm talking about:
    Player A farms on Map X, spawns a rune, forgets to grab it and leaves.
    10 minutes later
    Player B comes to farm Map X and sees a rune. Doesn't know how long it's been there and doesn't want to activate it because s/he doesn't know if it's cursed.
    Result, said rune is never activated because players don't want to get cursed.
  • ModestyModesty
    Reactions: 1,005
    Posts: 61
    Member
    edited August 2017
    YinYangX wrote: »
    Modesty wrote: »

    No no, after the new person picks up the rune, BAM, the map goes back to the base values. No more debuffs. So no runes in map = good.

    "claimed in a timely manner" Meaning if someone picks up after 5mins, it's still a cursed rune, no?
    Here's the scenario I'm talking about:
    Player A farms on Map X, spawns a rune, forgets to grab it and leaves.
    10 minutes later
    Player B comes to farm Map X and sees a rune. Doesn't know how long it's been there and doesn't want to activate it because s/he doesn't know if it's cursed.
    Result, said rune is never activated because players don't want to get cursed.

    Firstly, it will have purple dark aura coming out of it if it's cursed. It aura looks like Lotus Aura cash item.

    Secondly, if it is a cursed runes, the map automatically gets the EXP and DROP rate debuff IF not claimed. Thus, if you claim it, the debuff disappears because there's no more curse runes in the map to debuff the map.

    In conclusion, the cursed rune does not curse the player for using it. Instead it curses the map while in existence.

    I said "in a timely manner" because you should claim it before it becomes a cursed rune in order to avoid losing that tiny speck of exp from the 10 sec of cursed or whatever to run to the rune to pick it up instead of just picking it up while passing it by.
    YinYangX
  • ArgentArgent
    Reactions: 2,950
    Posts: 270
    Member
    edited August 2017
    YinYangX wrote: »
    Modesty wrote: »

    No no, after the new person picks up the rune, BAM, the map goes back to the base values. No more debuffs. So no runes in map = good.

    "claimed in a timely manner" Meaning if someone picks up after 5mins, it's still a cursed rune, no?
    Here's the scenario I'm talking about:
    Player A farms on Map X, spawns a rune, forgets to grab it and leaves.
    10 minutes later
    Player B comes to farm Map X and sees a rune. Doesn't know how long it's been there and doesn't want to activate it because s/he doesn't know if it's cursed.
    Result, said rune is never activated because players don't want to get cursed.

    Don't quote me on this but from how I understand it is:
    After 5 minutes the rune becomes "cursed" after 5 minutes of being unused. This reduces the experience and drop rates on the map until the time a player activates the rune. The rates return to normal for the map after that and the player who activates the rune gets their normal buffs.

    I still see this as a problem because of the delay on collecting runes. If a player grabs a rune on one map and then moves to another map that does have a rune, the rune would end up cursed before the cooldown ends.

    Not a great solution to botters, especially since many will have the ability to auto activate runes.
  • ModestyModesty
    Reactions: 1,005
    Posts: 61
    Member
    edited August 2017
    Argent wrote: »
    YinYangX wrote: »
    Modesty wrote: »

    No no, after the new person picks up the rune, BAM, the map goes back to the base values. No more debuffs. So no runes in map = good.

    "claimed in a timely manner" Meaning if someone picks up after 5mins, it's still a cursed rune, no?
    Here's the scenario I'm talking about:
    Player A farms on Map X, spawns a rune, forgets to grab it and leaves.
    10 minutes later
    Player B comes to farm Map X and sees a rune. Doesn't know how long it's been there and doesn't want to activate it because s/he doesn't know if it's cursed.
    Result, said rune is never activated because players don't want to get cursed.

    Don't quote me on this but from how I understand it is:
    After 5 minutes the rune becomes "cursed" after 5 minutes of being unused. This reduces the experience and drop rates on the map until the time a player activates the rune. The rates return to normal for the map after that and the player who activates the rune gets their normal buffs.

    I still see this as a problem because of the delay on collecting runes. If a player grabs a rune on one map and then moves to another map that does have a rune, the rune would end up cursed before the cooldown ends.

    Not a great solution to botters, especially since many will have the ability to auto activate runes.

    It's a step towards a good solution, since runes will now generate random key inputs instead of one up, down, left and right. It might be now be up>down>up>up then right>left>up>left for the next rune, etc.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    Posts: 588
    Member
    edited August 2017
    Runes now will decrease the drop rate and exp if not used for 5mins or more, the longer the more the penalty anyone that uses it will make the map go back to normal.

    The thing is you won't get the 100%bonus exp from em if you have more than 20lvs diference than the monsters in the map.
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 5,805
    Posts: 881
    Member
    edited August 2017
    YinYangX wrote: »
    3. Neglected runes get cursed, so basically if someone decides to leave a rune, no one will ever activate it because they don't know if it's cursed or not, meaning curse will only get worse and every map will eventually have a cursed rune.

    Tested this as server went live.

    Cursed Runes will be notified on the middle of the screen upon entering a map.

    If you used a Cursed Rune you will get the effects of the rune being shown along with a Sealed Power which prevents being affected by Cursed Runes effects. It is safe to use a Cursed Rune and there are no benefits of not using one.
    YinYangX
  • TheOutlanderTheOutlander
    Reactions: 1,230
    Posts: 83
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    This new rune system really annoys me, commands feel harder to implement for some reason and I noticed that a cursed rune can remove the burning field effect from a map. With the exception of the visible rune cooldown, I feel this update to Runes have made them more of a hindrance to leveling than a welcome change.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,865
    Posts: 6,269
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    This new rune system really annoys me, commands feel harder to implement for some reason and I noticed that a cursed rune can remove the burning field effect from a map. With the exception of the visible rune cooldown, I feel this update to Runes have made them more of a hindrance to leveling than a welcome change.

    They are supposed to hinder botters, not to directly improve anything for legits.
  • KoKoKimKoKoKim
    Reactions: 270
    Posts: 9
    Member
    edited August 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    This new rune system really annoys me, commands feel harder to implement for some reason and I noticed that a cursed rune can remove the burning field effect from a map. With the exception of the visible rune cooldown, I feel this update to Runes have made them more of a hindrance to leveling than a welcome change.

    They are supposed to hinder botters, not to directly improve anything for legits.

    Too bad it won't really affect botters since they can activate runes automatically..
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    Posts: 1,213
    Member
    edited August 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    This new rune system really annoys me, commands feel harder to implement for some reason and I noticed that a cursed rune can remove the burning field effect from a map. With the exception of the visible rune cooldown, I feel this update to Runes have made them more of a hindrance to leveling than a welcome change.

    They are supposed to hinder botters, not to directly improve anything for legits.

    actually that's wrong, the change was done to force people to use runes more in general and also force the use of the less desired runes. it had nothing to do with bots, as bots have had a way to bypass this for a long long time.

    much like how the flying mob with the debuff was released to deal with a problem of afk map hoggers in KMS and had nothing to do with trying to take down afk botters or keyweighters in GMS, this change was to deal with people not using runes if they were of a less desired rune.
    YinYangX
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,865
    Posts: 6,269
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »
    AKradian wrote: »
    This new rune system really annoys me, commands feel harder to implement for some reason and I noticed that a cursed rune can remove the burning field effect from a map. With the exception of the visible rune cooldown, I feel this update to Runes have made them more of a hindrance to leveling than a welcome change.

    They are supposed to hinder botters, not to directly improve anything for legits.

    actually that's wrong, the change was done to force people to use runes more in general and also force the use of the less desired runes. it had nothing to do with bots, as bots have had a way to bypass this for a long long time.

    much like how the flying mob with the debuff was released to deal with a problem of afk map hoggers in KMS and had nothing to do with trying to take down afk botters or keyweighters in GMS, this change was to deal with people not using runes if they were of a less desired rune.

    Then why the transparency and uniform color on the rune arrows?

    If they wanted to force rune usage, they could have just made runes "self destruct" after a while and inflict their effects on the person in the map whether they're ready for it or not.

    There's a difference between botters (keyweighters and macro'ers) and hackers (people using 3rd party programs).
    Botters only repeat a fixed sequence of actions endlessly. They can't detect what's happening on the screen or in the game, and can't respond to it. So they can't pick up runes. (And they are also hampered by the changes to mining/harvesting)
    Hacking programs do detect what's happening in the game, and they could pick up runes up until now - and will probably be able to quickly adapt to the new rune interface.

  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,695
    Posts: 1,353
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »

    actually that's wrong, the change was done to force people to use runes more in general and also force the use of the less desired runes. it had nothing to do with bots, as bots have had a way to bypass this for a long long time.

    much like how the flying mob with the debuff was released to deal with a problem of afk map hoggers in KMS and had nothing to do with trying to take down afk botters or keyweighters in GMS, this change was to deal with people not using runes if they were of a less desired rune.

    Jw, can't remember from when runes first came out (Elite Bosses patch way back when I think), but wasn't the purpose of runes suppose to help people farm and get bonus exp to balance out the thing with elite mobs spawning? If that's the case shouldn't the solution to "less desired runes" be to have changed the effect of those runes instead of forcing people to use them?
    Not saying it was your idea to start out with, but doesn't seem really logically in my pov (given, Nexon has done a lot of odd/stupid things to try solving problem, so hey, who knows though. o.O).
    TheOutlander
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Posts: 301
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    If they are going to force people to use runes, at least remove the garbage ones that almost everyone will find useless.

    Rune of Riches - This is a awful rune, the benefit of it is absolutely trash. Definitely should remove it from the game.

    Rune of Might - Useless for higher levels. It can stay only for maps below level 100 but for higher levels, it needs to go. It does not improve training efficiency on big maps like arcane river.



    Rune of Recovery - Could use a upgrade. 20 status resistance is close to nothing, I'd change it to at least 50 or even better, temporary immune to status effects for a short time. The recovery rate of HP and MP could be slightly faster but it isn't too bad.

    Rune of Swift - No complaints here, although for classes that can hit the soft cap, it's not that useful.

    Rune of Decay - Improve the DoT damage, too weak to be any useful but I get it for the.50% damage boost.

    Rune of Greed - Remove it for maps level 100 or below, the monsters barely give any mesos to make this rune useful till high level maps.

    Rune of Thunder - Make the proc on a set 3-4 seconds as it sometimes tends to take like 10 seconds to even proc once. Otherwise, no complaints on effect itself, helps with grinding.

    Rune of Darkness - Always make it spawn 3 elites, sometimes it spawns 1-2 or even nothing.

    As for what I think of rune changes, it's really not good. Cursed rune system forcing us to use garbage runes on maps sucks. The color changes to input and how transparent it is just makes it harder and annoying for people to see the inputs at all. Especially if there are color blind players. The change from making the inputs based on 4 directions to completely random is rather stupid, I do not know why they had to make it harder to activate runes. Nexon should rethink the rune system and completely revert some of these changes.
    YinYangX