[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Runes Impossible for Colorblind players

SenorBurroSenorBurro
Reactions: 820
edited September 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Ever since Nexon has revamped the rune UI, they've made it impossible for certain color combinations to be seen for me in conjunction with certain maps. I have moderate colorblindness and the addition of the troublesome fuchsia and cyan colors combined with the new transparent look they've received make it incredibly difficult to decipher. I cannot even begin to imagine how much worse it is for others whose condition is more severe. I understand that methodology here was probably to offer some challenge by mixing up the directions and aesthetic, but for colorblind players like myself, you literally cannot see anything because they blend together.

I know GMS has a tendency to not make any specific UI changes unless they've been first introduced by other regions (specifically KMS), but is there some sort of compromise that we can make? Maybe disabling certain sensitive colors from appearing? It would be nice to not have to sit there an extra 20-30s, potentially losing a kill combo, rolling for rune inputs I'm able to read.

I had also posted this on Reddit for some additional feedback from other players there.

Comments

• LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    The rune changes are just awful in general. Cursed runes forcing you to use them is just pure retarded, it does not help stop bots or hackers, it is only hurting majority of the players, especially if you are on cooldown or one spawns while your rune cooldown is active. The need to make the rune arrows extremely hard to see is very stupid, don't see a reason as to why they even changed the colors. I also do not like how they changed the combinations from pressing each arrow once to completely random or multiple of same one. Honestly, they should revert the rune changes back but since Nexon America follows and copy pasta Nexon Korea, there's little to no chance they will do anything about it. World and Inventory transparency has been bugging me as well, they could at least add a toggle or some slider.
    Lilyflower
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    The rune changes are just awful in general. Cursed runes forcing you to use them is just pure retarded, it does not drop bots or hackers, it is only hurting majority of the players, especially if you are on cooldown or one spawns while your rune cooldown is active. The need to make the rune arrows extremely hard to see is very stupid, don't see a reason as to why they even changed the colors. I also do not like how they changed the combinations from pressing each arrow once to completely random or multiple of same one. Honestly, they should revert the rune changes back but since Nexon America follows and copy pasta Nexon Korea, there's little to no chance they will do anything about it.

While your rune cooldown is active, and you have the debuff icon on the top right of your screen, you will not be affected by cursed runes.
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    The rune changes are just awful in general. Cursed runes forcing you to use them is just pure retarded, it does not drop bots or hackers, it is only hurting majority of the players, especially if you are on cooldown or one spawns while your rune cooldown is active. The need to make the rune arrows extremely hard to see is very stupid, don't see a reason as to why they even changed the colors. I also do not like how they changed the combinations from pressing each arrow once to completely random or multiple of same one. Honestly, they should revert the rune changes back but since Nexon America follows and copy pasta Nexon Korea, there's little to no chance they will do anything about it.

While your rune cooldown is active, and you have the debuff icon on the top right of your screen, you will not be affected by cursed runes.

Ah, that's good to hear, thought it affected everyone on the map regardless of cooldown or not.
  • krskkrsk
    Reactions: 2,980
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    SenorBurro wrote: »
    Ever since Nexon has revamped the rune UI, they've made it impossible for certain color combinations to be seen for me in conjunction with certain maps. I have moderate colorblindness and the addition of the troublesome fuchsia and cyan colors combined with the new transparent look they've received make it incredibly difficult to decipher. I cannot even begin to imagine how much worse it is for others whose condition is more severe. I understand that methodology here was probably to offer some challenge by mixing up the directions and aesthetic, but for colorblind players like myself, you literally cannot see anything because they blend together.

I like the rune changes, though I am sorry to hear how they effect color blind players. For that reason I agree that certain sensitive colors should be removed from the rotation. I think that is a fair ask and hope that issue will be addressed.
    The rune changes are just awful in general. Cursed runes forcing you to use them is just pure retarded, it does not help stop bots or hackers, it is only hurting majority of the players, especially if you are on cooldown or one spawns while your rune cooldown is active. The need to make the rune arrows extremely hard to see is very stupid, don't see a reason as to why they even changed the colors. I also do not like how they changed the combinations from pressing each arrow once to completely random or multiple of same one. Honestly, they should revert the rune changes back but since Nexon America follows and copy pasta Nexon Korea, there's little to no chance they will do anything about it. World and Inventory transparency has been bugging me as well, they could at least add a toggle or some slider.

Maybe it is just me, but with the exception of someone who is color blind, I don't have an issue reading the runes. They may make me take a double take, but realistically if you get the rune wrong you can just re try it again in a couple of seconds.

As far as stopping botters, I do think forcing someone to use a rune does make it less effective for afk players to train for levels/drops in an affected area. I do agree they should add a toggle for the transparency issues on the world and inv. I'd love to see that as well.
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    krsk wrote: »

I like the rune changes, though I am sorry to hear how they effect color blind players. For that reason I agree that certain sensitive colors should be removed from the rotation. I think that is a fair ask and hope that issue will be addressed.

Maybe it is just me, but with the exception of someone who is color blind, I don't have an issue reading the runes. They may make me take a double take, but realistically if you get the rune wrong you can just re try it again in a couple of seconds.

As far as stopping botters, I do think forcing someone to use a rune does make it less effective for afk players to train for levels/drops in an affected area. I do agree they should add a toggle for the transparency issues on the world and inv. I'd love to see that as well.

You do realize botters have the ability to auto-rune right, so it solves nothing towards botters/afk farmers. It doesn't stop anyone but legits trying to grind at a map. I can't think of any other reason to why this was added other than an "attempt" to stop botters from farming the map but hackers already know how to activate runes the moment they respawn.

As for color blindness, even someone with perfect vision can't read the rune inputs well, Nexon made it way too transparent. It may not affect you but I can ensure you, the majority of players on reddit have the same issue.
  • krskkrsk
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017

You do realize botters have the ability to auto-rune right, so it solves nothing towards botters/afk farmers. It doesn't stop anyone but legits trying to grind at a map. I can't think of any other reason to why this was added other than an "attempt" to stop botters from farming the map but hackers already know how to activate runes the moment they respawn.

As for color blindness, even someone with perfect vision can't read the rune inputs well, Nexon made it way too transparent. It may not affect you but I can ensure you, the majority of players on reddit have the same issue.

I read the reddit post and it didn't really look like a majority of players. (there were what 29 replies?). I mean on any of these posts it's going to be the select group of people it applies to. No one i know personally has had an issue with this, but if it really is the census then perhaps this thread will get large enough for it to make a difference.

As far as botters and auto rune or w/e, I can't say I know anything about that. As someone who doesn't hack or bot, my knowledge of the process is limited. From what I could tell the runes would nerf exp and drop rate if they weren't activated in time, so it seemed like a possible deterrent. If it's not then oh well, at least it was an attempt to fix issues.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited September 2017

I read the reddit post and it didn't really look like a majority of players. (there were what 29 replies?). I mean on any of these posts it's going to be the select group of people it applies to. No one i know personally has had an issue with this, but if it really is the census then perhaps this thread will get large enough for it to make a difference.

As far as botters and auto rune or w/e, I can't say I know anything about that. As someone who doesn't hack or bot, my knowledge of the process is limited. From what I could tell the runes would nerf exp and drop rate if they weren't activated in time, so it seemed like a possible deterrent. If it's not then oh well, at least it was an attempt to fix issues.

it was never implemented to fight against botters, that was never it's purpose but people keep attributing the change to that, but, the purpose was to force people to use runes more, and to force people to use undesirable runes at all
  • krskkrsk
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »

it was never implemented to fight against botters, that was never it's purpose but people keep attributing the change to that, but, the purpose was to force people to use runes more, and to force people to use undesirable runes at all

Oh? Where is your source of information for this?
  • TheToxicDudeFromReneTheToxicDudeFromRene
    Reactions: 845
    edited September 2017
    Yep. I have mild color blindness as well, and the rune usage is torture lol. Everything else about the rune update is fine. I love using them to level up my Legion mules, and I haven't had a single issue being cursed whatsoever.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    edited September 2017

Oh? Where is your source of information for this?

my source is KMS, which doesn't have the bot issue at all (due to the korean laws that demonize hacking, even in online games and allows the company to sue and even push for jail time for it) but were the ones that made this change happen to the rune system and added the flying mobs (to kill afk Map hoggers, not AFK bots or keyweighters)

anything that's added to fight against bots or hackers in GMS will not be implemented into KMS (like those magnus drop restrictions we had not long ago) because KMS doesn't have the hacker problem we do, and their ban lists are like 1/5th to 1/8th the size of GMS's
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017

Imo, they could of thought of another way and simply remove some of the useless runes. Like rune of riches, a useless and garbage rune, not sure why KMS hasn't thought of removing this, but instead they remove rune of hordes which was quite useful in my eyes. Rune of Might should really be restricted to maps level 100 and below because what good is it for higher levels since maps are big and you move rather slow to make it even worth using. If they want people to use runes more often, they should at least improve their effects rather than simply punishing their players for not using them because they are worthless and end up forcing you to wait 15 minutes to get another rune.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    edited September 2017

Imo, they could of thought of another way and simply remove some of the useless runes. Like rune of riches, a useless and garbage rune, not sure why KMS hasn't thought of removing this, but instead they remove rune of hordes which was quite useful in my eyes. Rune of Might should really be restricted to maps level 100 and below because what good is it for higher levels since maps are big and you move rather slow to make it even worth using. If they want people to use runes more often, they should at least improve their effects rather than simply punishing their players for not using them because they are worthless and end up forcing you to wait 15 minutes to get another rune.

just trying to fix this misinformed rumor that "these changes happened to hurt bots but only hurts players" which is not the case, these changes do exactly what they were meant to do (minus making it harder for colorblind people, that was probably not even considered)
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017

just trying to fix this misinformed rumor that "these changes happened to hurt bots but only hurts players" which is not the case, these changes do exactly what they were meant to do (minus making it harder for colorblind people, that was probably not even considered)

Ah I see what you mean.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited September 2017
    I forwarded the issue regarding colorblind players.

General rune feedback about the interface not relating to colorblindness should probably be posted in the New Rune System feedback thread, which was already forwarded before I found this. Personally, I'd rather have them as separate feedback threads, since the concerns (and possible solutions) are very different.
    JettLuvsUSenorBurro
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017

I understand that the curse mechanism is to force people to use them, but why make the rune controls harder to discern?
    JettLuvsUSlicedTime
  • SenorBurroSenorBurro
    Reactions: 820
    edited September 2017
    Neospector wrote: »
    I forwarded the issue regarding colorblind players.

General rune feedback about the interface not relating to colorblindness should probably be posted in the New Rune System feedback thread, which was already forwarded before I found this. Personally, I'd rather have them as separate feedback threads, since the concerns (and possible solutions) are very different.

Appreciate it. And yeah, the only reason I hadn't posted there was because it seemed more like a casual "what do you think about the new runes?" moreso than a more serious one that revolved around specific issues with the system, so I figured my reply would get buried in a post where I feel wasn't even posted in the proper section to get the right people to see it.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    edited September 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

I understand that the curse mechanism is to force people to use them, but why make the rune controls harder to discern?

probably to add some kind of layer of artificial difficulty, cause I don't know about you, but I was able to swiftly activate runes based on the colors I saw and didnt even need to pay attention to the arrows.
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited September 2017
    i saw a cursed rune when i mob the monsters idk but it seems its easy to me to locate the runes although the runes wont appear immediatly.
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Lilyflower wrote: »
    i saw a cursed rune when i mob the monsters idk but it seems its easy to me to locate the runes although the runes wont appear immediatly.

Runes tend to hide in areas that most people can't even see, it's ridiculous. Like when I'm at Brown/Red Bains in el nath, they are like hidden under the lava or some hard-to-reach areas. like how are some people suppose to know that, it's just ridiculous. Nexon really needs to add an way to tell where the runes are located and also move them onto platforms that we can actually see.
    LilyflowerSlicedTime
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited September 2017
    Lilyflower wrote: »

Runes tend to hide in areas that most people can't even see, it's ridiculous. Like when I'm at Brown/Red Bains in el nath, they are like hidden under the lava or some hard-to-reach areas. like how are some people suppose to know that, it's just ridiculous. Nexon really needs to add an way to tell where the runes are located and also move them onto platforms that we can actually see.
    ... your right about that srry.