[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Veteran of 12 years finally expressing an opinion

TheHunieTheHunie
Reactions: 365
edited September 2017 in General Chat
One of the few times i've ever posted on the forums and just wanted to talk about 12 years of experience and what this game used to be.

Remember this? S>slime bubbles 2k, tree branch 1k, sap of ancient tree 5k. I used to spam this in the fm for hours back when the fm was so crowded that i had to fight with 30 others just to have my message seen.

2006, does anyone remember when papulatus release? New players have probably never even killed this boss except for in dojo. Used to have to collect pieces and go down the depths of ludi to fight this boss. Everyone would go crazy when mastery books dropped or cape scrolls. Even common gear was a big thing. Sometimes just getting down to the boss entrance proved difficult with monsters hitting hard dmg.

2007, NLC is introduced. All you veterans, do you remember how big foot would trample over you and 1 shot kill you? Remember the frustration of getting ksed? Maybe even being a sin and using dark sight and hitting and running this boss. Leech services? We used to think those that could leech big foot were gods, which in their time, they were.

2008, The battle to reach lvl 200, FangBlade became an npc. I remember being there when the guy turned 200 and the amount of megas fired off. Literally half of maple was dressed like fangblade at one point.

2008, The introduction of monster carnival. Here is where the strength of the individual class would shine. Everyone was very similar in strength at the time and people would never invite you to their party if you belonged to a weak class. Rough times for the warrior classes that didn't reach power until later lvls

2008, Maplestory trade shop. So much Hype, as it offered a way for people to get nx for items they would sell on the tradeshop. Unfortunately taken down later when duper dotcurrency posted tons of high att purple snowshoes/racc masks etc.

2009, My favorite year because the best pq in the history of maple pqs was released. Crimsonwood keep party quest. Where a ton of different classes had to come together and work as a team to enter the treasure room with OP loots like mastery books, black fist cloak, khanjars, Crushed skull (a must have for paladins at the time), and element staffs.

2009, the release of Aran and the first time ever that I'd ever seen a commercial appear on tv advertising maplestory. Such big hype and so many new characters! This was just a great year in general and I felt maplestory was the most populated it had ever been this year.

2010, Where i think everything just fell apart...... The introduction of potentials and the serious pay2win mentality.

2010, Maplestory Big Bang. "The world you thought you knew.... is now over"

2011, Future henny. We finally see some sort of plot movement with the black mage.

2012, Magnus and the OP tyrant capes

2013, Ra Gear, gollux, terminus gear
2014, I honestly don't remember anything memorable about this year
2015, Lotus
2016 Damien
2017 Lucid

As you can probably see, my enthusiasm starts to die after 2009. Been a very long run and I intend to play until the very last days of maplestory, like a true veteran would. Though I do feel the end of this game comming. The forums are filled with nothing but hate and the gms announce promises that aren't met. Overall community seems unhappy and of the 100+ times i thought maple was gonna meet it's end, I've never felt it this strong.

bootlickerTachikawaHiyokogvnalmanzaSlicedTimeChingTheMonkeythekenturah

Comments

• FuschiaFuschia
    Reactions: 905
    edited September 2017
    tl'dr

all I see is "me, me, me, me.", no other constructive, well thought out explanation as to why this game is turning bad, which it is.
  • bootlickerbootlicker
    Reactions: 1,475
    edited September 2017
    Great post!
  • ArcheryiArcheryi
    Reactions: 1,370
    edited September 2017
    Potential is what honestly did this game in. It officially secured the "pay-to-win" formula to the wealthiest of players and makes it almost impossible for new ones to get anywhere unless they burn their wallet or get funded. Bosses that used to take entire parties to slay can be soloed, a player with enough potential can do over 100 million damage... heck Lucid has 10 trillion something HP. That alone says something.
    SlicedTimeqwerm
  • TachikawaHiyokoTachikawaHiyoko
    Reactions: 1,290
    edited September 2017
    I do remember all those things and I share the opinion than things aren't all that great now, even though I, too, continue to play, even though I'm not into most of the things that are a "must" nowadays. It's a pity, because I do feel some things have changed for the better. In my opinion, the problem is that the things that have made the game worse and harder for people who, like me, can't invest real money in the game, are a lot more than the good things. :S Maybe, there will be a balance someday between good and bad... I don't know. :S But I do remember how Maple used to be and how different it was than how it is now. :P

Good post! :)
  • TheToxicDudeFromReneTheToxicDudeFromRene
    Reactions: 845
    edited September 2017
    I agree. Potential definitely unbalanced the game and made it pay to win. I still enjoy it, but that was what made it a new game.
  • AlzakielAlzakiel
    Reactions: 940
    edited September 2017
    Well, just watch every game on the market and you'll find one thing they all have in common. They became simple and easyier. When i first played maplestory i was 13 years old(im now 25) and at the time, i could actually afford playing hours and hours and take the time to find people to play with. Now a day? Not so much.

As far i know you still need a group of people to do the latest content? Sound good enough, old content alway end up easy to farm someday.

Most boss weren't accessible to the common of mortal in the early days of maple. It was kinda stupid at time how much time one had to spend.

Monster Carnival was a breath of fresh air, but i've grown bored of it pretty fast though lol.

When NLC got released, i wasn't playing much anymore sooo yeah.

I remember when they announced Aran and i was sitting in front of my PC for hours just to create my character and go at it. It was really a fun class(not sure now a day how it look like, since i didn't play Aran for 2 years lol)

Then the game became more casual and they started to sell **** that gave massive advantage. I guess there wasn't much anybody starting the game anymore and they needed a way to bring people back.

So yeah, the early days were awesome. But im pretty sure if they made it like it was back then. The game would be already dead. There just that much you can do with a 2D Side-scroller. The story telling never been all that awesome either. And i've never been much of the ''Social guy'' anyway, so it doesn't change much for me(read the guild chat, ask to join, have fun).
    foussiremix
  • 엘소드엘소드
    Reactions: 775
    edited September 2017
    Fuschia wrote: »
    tl'dr

all I see is "me, me, me, me.", no other constructive, well thought out explanation as to why this game is turning bad, which it is.

Didn't know you had to type up an essay if you wanted to make a topic on the forums.

It's his topic, as long as it's placed in the correct subforum, he can post anything he damn well pleases (provided it follows the ToS/Code of Conduct).

TachikawaHiyokoRenni
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited September 2017
    as long as im here the game will survive i am maple and everything it embodies
  • ChingTheMonkeyChingTheMonkey
    Reactions: 1,165
    edited September 2017
    Well said! I agree, but I think things really started to decline when they started focusingg on the single player aspects of the game. You know, despite it being an MMOrpg
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Oh look it's another pre big bang is better thread........ not seen this before
    Rolls
  • MjaumjaukittenzMjaumjaukittenz
    Reactions: 300
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Well said! I agree, but I think things really started to decline when they started focusingg on the single player aspects of the game. You know, despite it being an MMOrpg

They are trying to make it more MMO like, especially with boss runs. The upcoming patch (or released one I dunno) in KMS, gives droplets from bosses that sells for meso. If you're in a party of 2 the meso gain is increased by 110% rather than just 100%.

It really is the community that dont wanna play with others, join the que, leave the party and just go in solo.
    Anyone who I've got partied with, leaves.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited September 2017
    They are trying to make it more MMO like, especially with boss runs. The upcoming patch (or released one I dunno) in KMS, gives droplets from bosses that sells for meso. If you're in a party of 2 the meso gain is increased by 110% rather than just 100%.

It really is the community that dont wanna play with others, join the que, leave the party and just go in solo.

I would normally agree with you, but the loot crystals are split between the party members. So while the crystal's sell price does go up, the current formula gives less mesos for a party of multiple players than a party of one.

I put in a pre-emptive suggestion to Nexon NA about two weeks to consider changing the formula to split evenly instead, so more party members would net more mesos, in a way that would help balance off the boss entry limits KMS put in during the same update.
    If anyone wants to see that changed they should put up the suggestion as soon as possible.
  • TheOutlanderTheOutlander
    Reactions: 1,230
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017

While it is a good gesture of KMS to make advances in party play, my solution would be to increase the exp gained from mob kills while in a party, in some kind of balanced way of course . I mean, during the last 2 years I have become more of a solo player since no one wants to share maps or boss loot anymore, even the people in my buddy list would prefer to keep their training zones to themselves. It's just an opinion though, so I wont be rambling on in the suggestions tab that we should totally do this.
  • thekenturahthekenturah
    Reactions: 1,070
    edited September 2017
    Great original post and I remember all those things. I played originally in Bera and I remember the first zakum kill in Bera I WAS THERE! I remember the first horntail kill, which I missed and wanted to cry about :) but i made the second!. I remember Fangs level up to 200 in April 2008 and my own a couple months later. There was a huge sense of community in maple then (and a lot of drama) which is missing now and I think the game has suffered for it. I've continued to play, although I moved to reboot last year because I've always refused to spend a lot of real dollars on the game and reboot is much more friendly to that type of player. The loss of community is because nexon has made so many changes to the game that mean we don't need each other anymore, their game, their choice, its different but not always bad. Remember its a game, its their game, we play for free :) enjoy it as it is or move on to something else. I for one will probably be here till the end....

keturah
    bera bishop lvl 200 6/8/2008 - #8 in gms to reach 200 ( says #7 now but that's just because curry was dumb:)
    PS I WANT MY NPC BACK PLEASE !!
  • mrskannaxmrskannax
    Reactions: 740
    edited September 2017
    dude everyone complaining about how maplestory has changed its dumb. they have to advance and make everything easyer its like real life, do you have to go and hunt for your own food ?, no , you just go to a supermarket and buy it, you dont go to a river just to take a shower do u ?. and its really simple if you dont enjoy something anymore why would u play it ?. no logic. just quit and stop wining about everything, unless u buy a **** load of nx nexon its going to care if not why should they ? they aint getting anything from you.
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited September 2017
    Actually, Bigfoot came out in 2008, not 2007. New Leaf City came out late July 2007, Haunted House came out October 2007, and Phantom Forest + Crimsonwood Mountain (with Bigfoot) came out in August 2008. Yes, I do remember those dates.

• CarlCarl
    Reactions: 640
    edited September 2017
    Neospector wrote: »

I would normally agree with you, but the loot crystals are split between the party members. So while the crystal's sell price does go up, the current formula gives less mesos for a party of multiple players than a party of one.

I put in a pre-emptive suggestion to Nexon NA about two weeks to consider changing the formula to split evenly instead, so more party members would net more mesos, in a way that would help balance off the boss entry limits KMS put in during the same update.
    If anyone wants to see that changed they should put up the suggestion as soon as possible.

Suggestion:
    First, base on KMS patch note, they changed boss entry time per day(reduced), if GMS doing the same, we wont get as much reward points as b4.
    Second, GMS currency system has been corrupted by bots since long time ago, base on KMS meso reward, we can literary nothing from that.

Sum up: reduce the entry time for each day and increase the reward points we can get from each boss(Player saves time and total reward points remain the same). Increase meso reward from bosses(1.5X - 2Xwould work imo)
  • RonRon
    Reactions: 730
    edited September 2017
    LF>Ludi PQ
    LF>Orbis PQ
    S>GFA 60% Offer
    Tiger, suuushi
    <3 memories
    thekenturah
  • SilentJudicatorSilentJudicator
    Reactions: 880
    edited September 2017
    As another veteran of 12 years and a beta tester, I'd have to agree with the fact that the social aspect of the game died off years ago. It's still impressive how someone actually managed to write what happened when though.

For me, it died down in 2009 when a server breach happened and I lost all the wealth I've gathered on my account. Still, this game has turned slightly better in the recent years when the developers actually stopped ignoring the players completely and started to fix a few things. I'd appreciate it if the server problem is fixed though. I ran so smoothly before the tune up update, then after it, server instability -_-.