[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Taking damage when talking to NPCs?

JPG0809JPG0809
Reactions: 500
edited September 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
It's a thing I've noticed regularly(and the reason why I get killed half the time).

I clear the monsters near the NPC with a quest only to have more spawn while I'm in the conversation.

Can we do something about this, please?

Thank you!
SlicedTime

Comments

• pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited October 2017
    I would say to just get to a safe spot, but some maps don't have safe spots, which is a problem.
    SlicedTimeJPG0809Lizardnix
  • MiraMira
    Reactions: 4,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    I would say to just get to a safe spot, but some maps don't have safe spots, which is a problem.

I'd say it's odd having safe spots in every map. You're in a hunting field... naturally might be same Big Bad Monsters ready to kill you!

I don't think this suggestion is something that would get implemented.

Well, take Vanishing Journey for example. When you're doing the Tranquil Erdas section, even trying to skip through the dialogue as quickly as possible without reading can sometimes leave you dead. That doesn't really make for great gameplay when you risk death to complete a mandatory quest.
    Lizardnix
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017

I'd say it's odd having safe spots in every map. You're in a hunting field... naturally might be same Big Bad Monsters ready to kill you!

While you're right in principle, it's a bit unfair to lock you in conversation while enemies are pummeling you.
    As Mira pointed out, the Vanishing Journey quest line requires you to talk to multiple NPCs in the Cave of Repose, all the while taking increased damage from the Erdas because you only have 30 Arcane Force and the map requires 60.
    One possible solution would be to have a safe zone near NPCs in field maps.
    Another solution is for there to be some kind of invincibility cast on you while you are talking to an NPC in the field - provided it has a quest for you to accept or turn in.
  • AnythingAnything
    Reactions: 1,385
    edited October 2017

Because of things like this less and less people will go read what the NPCs has to say. I usually read the things, trying not to miss out on important things. Some information may not be found in the Questbook. To avoid dead, we just spam it away. And this is why the 'story' from MapleStory is not as catchy as RPG games with a great story.

And what Mira said as example, it's true. Those Tranquil and Lantern Erdas hurt so much when you doing the quest for the first time with only 30 Arc Force. I died so many times on my Kanna.
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited October 2017

I dunno, sometimes gameplay has to take priority. Getting hit by enemies while trying to talk to an NPC to finish a quest isn't fun. My dark knight can take the hits, but a squishier class is going to have issues.
  • scholar624scholar624
    Reactions: 3,315
    edited October 2017
    I actually found a few solid examples of this occurring while exploring the Kerning Tower theme dungeon.

The question now becomes what can be done to address the problem? Is it a simple matter of relocating several quest related NPCs to a safer location, or is there a better option that will not possibly create an AFK / Mule exploit?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    scholar624 wrote: »
    I actually found a few solid examples of this occurring while exploring the Kerning Tower theme dungeon.

The question now becomes what can be done to address the problem? Is it a simple matter of relocating several quest related NPCs to a safer location, or is there a better option that will not possibly create an AFK / Mule exploit?

"exploit"?
    Since when has being able to take a breather from your training and go to the bathroom been considered an "exploit"?
    AnythingZephyrusSpringSlicedTimeLizardnix
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited October 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

"exploit"?
    Since when has being able to take a breather from your training and go to the bathroom been considered an "exploit"?

They're most likely referring to the old LHC days, which is probably why the anti afk mobs even exist. (Even though party zones aren't a thing anymore (Except for random places for some odd reason))
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

"exploit"?

They're most likely referring to the old LHC days, which is probably why the anti afk mobs even exist. (Even though party zones aren't a thing anymore (Except for random places for some odd reason))

The anti-afk mobs exist because KMS has an issue with "map holding".
    Over there, apparently, if you're in a map, it's yours. Even if you're afk for hours.
    So they had a problem with people "reserving" a map hours before they actually start training, and especially before 2x.
    Obviously, GMS culture is completely different and we don't have this problem, but we copy everything from KMS.

Anyway, passive leech has been disabled. You can't get exp unless you're "in combat".
    So it's possible to make the safe spot for talking to the NPC on a rope. You can't be "in combat" while hanging on a rope, so while people could use that spot to take a break, they wouldn't be able to use it to leech.
    However, this would require moving some things around, especially in maps with enemies that have long distance attacks (like those infamous Tranquil and Lantern Erdas).
    SlicedTime
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    This problem also applies to the jane npc in vanishing journey.
    Why do they place such an important npc directly inside a mass of mobs.

• SparkleeSparklee
    Reactions: 2,630
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    One solution could be to just lessen the amount of dialogue npc's can dish out. I want to complete a quest, not read an essay about Vanishing Journey.
    Or another solution is to maybe have the NPC's in Nameless Town, but the NPC's give out scrolls to get you to whichever map (To help those without tele rocks) to help complete the Vanishing Journey quests without dying due to being stuck in numerous dialogues from NPC's in training maps

The whole lessening of the NPC dialogues could be implemented in many other areas to tbh. =]