[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Latest Visual C++ 2015 Give Pc A Virus

moonkittyxmoonkittyx
Reactions: 300
edited October 2017 in Tech Support
Hi,
I downloaded this update to Visual C++ 2015 a few days and it gave the computer a virus.
Any way to bypass this?

Comments

• moonkittyxmoonkittyx
    edited October 2017
    I just redownloaded the update from Microsoft and ran a virus scan.
  • moonkittyxmoonkittyx
    edited October 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    Heyo,

I'm not sure where you're downloading things from.. but C++ Redistributable is an Official Microsoft Platform and should only be downloaded from the direct source.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

The update came Nexon for Maplestory. I uninstalled it.
    I downloaded it from Microsoft.
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    edited October 2017
    The "virus" is probably a false positive (possibly caused by or derived from corrupted VC++ 2015 files). The launcher (as you said) wants to install (even if you already have it installed) Visual C++ 2015 Redists, and it gets hung-up during the installation, because, it "detects" a later version installed. It then throws an error and stops. ~ I ran into this situation myself (can't you tell?). //> To end this madness....

Uninstall the now corrupted (partially overwritten) Visual C++ 2015 Redistibutables. (image). ~ Uninstall the later version mentioned (which is "incredibly" the Visual C++ 2017 redist; leave it out). ~ Install the 2015 Redists when prompted by the launcher. ~ (Solved if you leave 2017 out, sigh). ~ -- (Also. I do believe it says somewhere to disable Anti-Virus and User Account Control when installing these). All prior versions of Visual C++ Redists have been interchangeable, in that we didn't have to remove the new to install the old or vice versa.

The launcher (for me) doesn't prompt for installation of 2015; (since removing 2017). ~ but , this kind of ticks me off because I need 2017 and I don't know if it's going to recycle the whole situation if I put them back. ~ That said. ~ If putting the 2017 Redists back in causes the launcher to stop recognizing 2015; it's time to complain to Microsoft, because they should be able to coexist like all prior redists do.
    Note: ~ I already had 2015 installed when I was first prompted by the launcher to install it again (I also had 2017 installed. ~ In fact, I had all of them installed; 2005 to 2017). This is why I fear (know for sure) having 2017 atop 2015 is the reason for this headache migraine.

• ArphenArphen
    Reactions: 210
    edited October 2017
    Hardmuscle wrote: »
    The "virus" is probably a false positive (possibly caused by or derived from corrupted VC++ 2015 files). The launcher (as you said) wants to install (even if you already have it installed) Visual C++ 2015 Redists, and it gets hung-up during the installation, because, it "detects" a later version installed. It then throws an error and stops. ~ I ran into this situation myself (can't you tell?). //> To end this madness....

Uninstall the now corrupted (partially overwritten) Visual C++ 2015 Redistibutables. (image). ~ Uninstall the later version mentioned (which is "incredibly" the Visual C++ 2017 redist; leave it out). ~ Install the 2015 Redists when prompted by the launcher. ~ (Solved if you leave 2017 out, sigh). ~ -- (Also. I do believe it says somewhere to disable Anti-Virus and User Account Control when installing these). All prior versions of Visual C++ Redists have been interchangeable, in that we didn't have to remove the new to install the old or vice versa.

The launcher (for me) doesn't prompt for installation of 2015; (since removing 2017). ~ but , this kind of ticks me off because I need 2017 and I don't know if it's going to recycle the whole situation if I put them back. ~ That said. ~ If putting the 2017 Redists back in causes the launcher to stop recognizing 2015; it's time to complain to Microsoft, because they should be able to coexist like all prior redists do.
    Note: ~ I already had 2015 installed when I was first prompted by the launcher to install it again (I also had 2017 installed. ~ In fact, I had all of them installed; 2005 to 2017). This is why I fear (know for sure) having 2017 atop 2015 is the reason for this headache migraine.

I feel you, I actually came to report this exact same behaviour. Sadly (or should I say as usual), the issue is on Nexons end, the Visual C++ 2017 is binary compatible with the Visual C++ 2015, in fact, it's a direct upgrade from it, that's why it removes previous Visual C++ 2015 installations. I'm on the 2017 Redist, and I can play Maple just fine, it's just the annoyance of having to accept the launcher trying to install the previous Redist. They need to patch the launcher to detect the current Redist, instead of forcing you to install the previous one for no reason, even though the new one is meant to replace the old one. I hope a dev reads this and fix this minor issue.
    Hardmuscle
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited October 2017
    Arphen wrote: »
    Hardmuscle wrote: »

I feel you, I actually came to report this exact same behaviour. Sadly (or should I say as usual), the issue is on Nexons end, the Visual C++ 2017 is binary compatible with the Visual C++ 2015, in fact, it's a direct upgrade from it, that's why it removes previous Visual C++ 2015 installations. I'm on the 2017 Redist, and I can play Maple just fine, it's just the annoyance of having to accept the launcher trying to install the previous Redist. They need to patch the launcher to detect the current Redist, instead of forcing you to install the previous one for no reason, even though the new one is meant to replace the old one. I hope a dev reads this and fix this minor issue.

Yep, my launcher tries to install the C++ redistributable each time I launch maple, too. In fact, it tries twice. I always just cancel it, but it's seriously annoying.