[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Need help with choosing a class.

New2MapleNew2Maple
Reactions: 200
edited October 2017 in General Chat
To narrow down my choices,I need some help with the diffrences with the warrior,theif,mage,bowmen,etc.....im kind of on the fence about theif and pirate,and mage,but i need to know,does the pirate have mobility?And if it does,what are some reccomended classes for dmg,hyper skills/stats,another question,which theif classes is the most "tankiest",because from my knowledge,theives are not the heartiest.

Comments

• pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited October 2017
    Eh, just make a bunch of characters, play each one for about 60 levels or so, and then pick what you like best. The ones you don't pick you can use as legion mules to boost your main. It's the only way to be sure. As for pirates mobility, it depends on the pirate. Some are more mobile than others. None of the thieves are particularly tanky as far as I am aware, but I guess there might be skills you can steal as phantom to up his survivability, and one of his abilities gives him a chance to not die if I remember right so there's that.
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited October 2017
    Eh, just make a bunch of characters, play each one for about 60 levels or so, and then pick what you like best. The ones you don't pick you can use as legion mules to boost your main. It's the only way to be sure. As for pirates mobility, it depends on the pirate. Some are more mobile than others. None of the thieves are particularly tanky as far as I am aware, but I guess there might be skills you can steal as phantom to up his survivability, and one of his abilities gives him a chance to not die if I remember right so there's that.

Well, I'd actually get them to 100. It really doesn't take that much longer, and it better shows what you're going to get out of a class. Some classes have gosh awful 3rd jobs, but awesome 4th jobs (AB comes to mind).
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited October 2017

Well, I'd actually get them to 100. It really doesn't take that much longer, and it better shows what you're going to get out of a class. Some classes have gosh awful 3rd jobs, but awesome 4th jobs (AB comes to mind).

True. I said 60 because that's when you can use them as legion mules, but it certainly doesn't hurt to get them to 100.
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited October 2017
    Explorer pirates have the best horizontal mobility with their flash jump, with cannoneer and corsair also being able to "fly" into the air vertically. Buccaneer and Corsair have high damage % mobbing skills that can kill mobs easily with lower range compared to most classes. What I like about Corsair and Buccaneer is that they have cooldown reducing abilities which help a lot with the crappy RNG that pirates are known for, with Corsair being the worst class affected by it. Buccaneer has a 100% cooldown reducing skill with 180 second cooldown while Corsair relies on nautilus strike (30 second cd) to reduce cooldowns of their summon skills and roll of the dice by 30% (also reduces roll of the die skill by 50% when rolling a 1).

The easiest of the 3 explorer pirates I'd say is Cannoneer because it's a STR class but uses a range weapon (should have been a resistance class if you ask me), but visually does the least amount of damage per line but has faster attack speed than both corsair and Buccaneer. Buccaneer is disgusting when it comes to mobbing but excels at bossing. Cannoneer also seems to be the "best of both worlds" class as it's basically a Buccaneer with Corsair's summon and mobbing capability.

Corsair would be the hardest to play out of the 3 explorer pirates, with the fact that they rely more on summons that do a significant % of their total damage, and requires more management to stay alive while trying to keep up with summons and their low duration, but may change in the future once they receive an additional 20% damage reduction from attacks on top of the 30% damage reduction they already have (-15% at 4th job and another 15% from their hyper skill). I do like this class more though because they have extremely high Critial Damage (mine has 73% from legion and corsair's own passives with 100% critical chance), and setting up summons in certain areas in training maps allow you to stay in a smaller movement area when training until it's time to resummon your summons, though it would be nice if Scurvy summons had a command ability that allows you to tell your crew mates to stand in 1 spot and attack rather than follow you and be inable to move more than 3 inches away without teleporting back to you. Corsair also has a lot of full map skills, one from 4th job, another at 170, and their latest 5th job skill, each with a 30 seconds or less cooldown. I would not recommend playing this class if you're playing in reboot because they need bullets and they're harder to come across since this class is the only one that uses them.

ₒʜ yₑₐʜ ₐNd Tʜₑᵣₑ's ₐʟsₒ Jₑᴛᴛ wʜₒ ʜₐs ₆₀% Dₑₓ fᵣₒᴍ ₃ᵣd Jₒb ₊ ᴍₐᴘʟₑ wₐᵣᵣᵢₒᵣ ₐNd ₐʟsₒ gₑᴛs ₂₂% ᴍₒᵣₑ fᵣₒᴍ ᴛʜₑᵢᵣ ₑₓᴘʟₒᵣₑᵣ sʜₐᵣₑd ₅ᴛʜ Jₒb ᴘᵢᵣₐᴛₑ fʟₐg sᵤᴍᴍₒN sᴋᵢʟʟ Bᴜᴛ sᴛɪʟʟ ᴅᴏᴇsɴ'ᴛ ᴅᴏ ᴀ ʟᴏᴛ ᴏғ ᴅᴀᴍᴀɢᴇ ᴜɴʟᴇss ɪɴᴄʀᴇᴅɪʙʟʏ ғᴜɴᴅᴇᴅ
  • RennnRennn
    Reactions: 1,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    You need most classes for link skills and even if they don't have one, they make for great legion mules so why not level up all classes to 100 and see which one you find fun? Whatever you go with, don't main a non-KMS class (Jett, Beast Tamer, Kanna and maaaaaybe Hayato) because they get shafted in terms of updates and bugs.
  • PigabaPigaba
    Reactions: 1,105
    edited October 2017
    In my wholeheartedly biased opinion, I recommend Phantom for your thief class. He's not "tanky" in any shape or form, but avoidability is super high, so pretty much everything will be missed. You can steal buff skills from explorer's class too, so you can be very flexible in what kind of buff you need for bossing depending on what your party needs. Downside is that from 1st-3rd jobs, Phantom's own attack skills aren't that great, so you should use other explorer's attack skills. But once you get 4th job, phantom's own attack skills are extremely fun. Especially Millies Aiguilles is the fastest attack skill in the game, I think, and is soooooooo fun to use that to shred monsters while bunch of cards fly and deal 100% crit damage. Link skill is also great (+10% crit chance). 5th job skill is not too shabby either. The main 5th job skill you'll be using will be the blackjack, and even though its hit# isn't that high, the cool down is so low (15sec) that you'll be able to use it again pretty much immediately once it ends.
  • LuxxLuxx
    Reactions: 1,795
    edited October 2017
    Not Kinesis.
    Woah boy is he boring.
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited October 2017
    Luxx wrote: »
    Not Kinesis.
    Woah boy is he boring.

I thought he was decent 4th job. Throwing monsters across the map makes for some fun training.

1st~3rd was pretty meh though
  • ChukkiChukki
    Reactions: 1,525
    edited October 2017
    Try a Thunderbreaker.

They look pretty cool imo
  • KrimlockKrimlock
    Reactions: 1,840
    edited October 2017
    Make a paladin and tank the world! also laugh at anything that has potion lock/DR/%dmg attacks/elemental attacks andat 200 giggle as you have a legit Ferris wheel passive!