[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

A sun has set

TheSaltySimenTheSaltySimen
Reactions: 670
edited November 2017 in Rants and Raves
Warning: High levels of sodium

It was a cold November morning, a thin layer of ice and snow covered the ground outside, the sun hadn't peaked over the mountains, but, in his room, a nerd got ready to kill some red robots. He fired up his laptop, heard the sound of the hyperactive fan go into berserk mode, and then he waited as Windows 10 forced him to download another dozen of updates; it was going to be a great day.

He had hit level 108 on his Blaze Wizard the previous night, and that was the highest he had ever leveled in Maplestory. He had played Maplestory before, years ago, and had some occasional moments where he came back because everything else bored him to death, but, this was the first time the game had ever managed to sink its hooks into him. He had spent hours mindlessly doing nothing, but, it had been fun, and with a few friends and Blazing Extinction, by his side, it got even better.

The killing spree from yesterday had ended in the bowels of Ludibrium, or more accurately, in the toy factory, knee deep in Master Robo parts. It had been great. The robots gave a decent amount of exp, and with just a single click of his e button, Blazing Extension cleared out a whole army of the red chunks of metal. It had been easy exp, and he was ready for more, way, way more.

Sadly, the game had other plans for our nerd.

The nerd launched the game, logged on, and came face to face with what would be his next victims. He put up his buffs, pressed e, and then, the game went crazy. The screen froze for a moment, and he got dc'd. Assuming that this would just be a one-time thing, he reentered the game, put up his buffs, pressed e, and got dc'd again. He tried a few more times, but the result was always the same. What the hell was this ****? Was it something wrong on his side? Had his connection turned to garbage overnight? The nerd did a quick check, and no, everything seemed fine, so what was it then? Had he messed with something? Nothing came to mind, but he went through and un and re-installed the game. Once everything was done and settled, he tried again. He entered the game, put up his buffs, jumped off the platform the game had spawned him on, pressed e, and he got dc'd. What was this? Why did the game suddenly hate him? Was the game bugged? Could it be that Maplestory, Maplestory of all games, had a game-breaking bug that screwed over a class? No, surely not. Our little hero decided to take it upon himself to do a few tests. He got into the game and tried everything but Blazing Extinction, and to his dismay, everything else seemed fine. Was Blazing Extinction, the issue? Could he no longer cast his sun? The thing that had made killing a whole population of robots a breeze was the root of this evil? And so, as the realization came crashing down, he pressed e. The red orb of goodness formed in front of him, and then, the game, once more, dc'd him.

He contacted support, hoping for a quick solution, but we are on day five now, and nothing yet. The game runs fine, every test they have made him do comes up fine, but, he can no longer cast his sun.
PirateIzzyLilyflowerSherriShakaAlekMesosMewelup

Comments

• SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,375
    edited November 2017
    But.. the sun never sets on the British empire..!

Though really.. the heck? Why on earth is it doing that? I should attempt a Blaze Wizard and see if I can recreate that error you are having.
    If it didn't do this before and suddenly started to.. well, that is kind of worrying.
    I remember hearing that MapleStory wasn't very good at running on a laptop, compared to a desktop.. though it's been a while since I heard that so that might have changed by now..?

Also... lucky, I wish it would snow here already.
    TheSaltySimen
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited November 2017
    Good story.
    TheSaltySimen
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited November 2017
    That was the most entertaining post I've seen in quite some time. Well done. Hope the blaze wizard thing gets sorted out.
    TheSaltySimenSherriMewelup
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
  • TheSaltySimenTheSaltySimen
    edited November 2017
    Chapter 2; Nexon and their unrivaled customer support.

It had been days, but a darkness still lingered within our little nerd. His sun had yet to rise. For days he had been throwing e-mails at Nexon consumer support in a search for answers, tips, tricks, or astrological signs. Would the sun rise tomorrow? Or would he just have to live in this new dark world?

In the start, things had been okay. Our nerd was given a series of tasks to carry out, an Irl quest so to speak, but this was one of those annoying fetch quests that everyone dreads and avoids like the plague. The list of tasks had been long, and among them were things like Ip renews, Ip refreshes, as well as providing Nexon with DxDiags, Traceroute, and Netalyzer tests. The steps were annoying to carry out, and the nerd had a sneaking feeling that neither of these tests would give the team any info, and yet, he went along with it, he gave them the things they asked for and in returned he expected a quest reward. Not anything major, just to be able to play his BlazeWizard again. His free cash items had already expired, those snazzy exp coupons he had were gone, and his teleport rock had surly teleported into someplace far better than this hell.

But, was there a reward at the end of this confusing and drawn out string of objectives? No, not really, but then again, whatever goes our little nerd's way? That's right, nothing.

The tests would take a few days to go through, fine, okay, he could go a few days without playing Maplestory. He wasn't addicted or anything, it wasn't like he would eventually start writing short stories about his struggle on the friking forums. No no no... no such thing.

A few days passed, and there was an email, surely, it held all the answers. Surely, this would be the key to fixing everything. This would make the sun rise anew.

No, it wasn't.

Inside the email, there were no answers, only more demands for additional steps and tests. There were more? How could there be more? Was this an exam? Would he be graded? Our nerd tried to not sink into the pool of despair that formed and complied. Going through his drivers, making sure they were up to date, and then providing support with a new set of tests. Support got back to him rather quickly this time, but, not for good reasons. They told our nerd that these tests would take 1-2 days, and in his mind, the nerd switched out the word "days" for "weeks". But, yet again, he just dealt with it.

Day one went by, no answer. Day two came, went, and nothing. Day three, the nerd hits up live support.

Live support, for those who have not experienced it, is waiting for a Nexon employee to write out "We thank you for your patience. I can not provide you with any info about this. Give me a moment. We are looking into it. Our investigation." and sentences like these in more elaborate ways than you can begin to imagine. They use a paragraph to write what could be boiled down to three or four words. It's magical, but also quite testing, driving you to the edge of insanity.

And it is on this edge I will halt the story for now. The sun has yet to rise, and the weather forcast looks dire.
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited November 2017
    Lol idk why but I remembered something in this thread.
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited November 2017
    I got some good news for you @TheSaltySimen

I was browsing through the Nova patch notes from Orange Mushroom, and I saw this little gem:

Blazing Extinction: fixed an error where the client would sometimes stop after using this skill

Hopefully it fixes the issue you have.
    edited November 2017

I was browsing through the Nova patch notes from Orange Mushroom, and I saw this little gem:

Blazing Extinction: fixed an error where the client would sometimes stop after using this skill

Please, tell me you aren't kidding.

They have been telling me for almost a week now that it's my computer that is causing the error, but that they don't know just how it does it. Support has been silent for the past 3 days, and when I jump into the live chat I get told that the tests I sent are still getting looked into. And now they are just gonna sneak that **** into the patch notes without sending me an email about it? Excuse me? After being repeatedly told that I had somehow caused the issue, they are just gonna do that? Oh my lord.... I'm actually mad.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2017

Please, tell me you aren't kidding.

They have been telling me for almost a week now that it's my computer that is causing the error, but that they don't know just how it does it. Support has been silent for the past 3 days, and when I jump into the live chat I get told that the tests I sent are still getting looked into. And now they are just gonna sneak that **** into the patch notes without sending me an email about it? Excuse me? After being repeatedly told that I had somehow caused the issue, they are just gonna do that? Oh my lord.... I'm actually mad.

pretty sure they mean the KMS Nova patch notes collected from Orange mushroom cause there are no Nova patch notes for GMS yet, meaning this was a bug carried over from one of the KMS patches and will only get fixed from the Nova patches. nova happened in KMS months ago so it wasn't snuk into the patch notes, but the fact that the CS team can't tell you it's a bug that will be fixed in a future patch just shows how well trained they are.
    TheSaltySimen
    edited November 2017
    Catooolooo wrote: »
    pretty sure they mean the KMS Nova patch notes collected from Orange mushroom cause there are no Nova patch notes for GMS yet, meaning this was a bug carried over from one of the KMS patches and will only get fixed from the Nova patches. nova happened in KMS months ago so it wasn't snuk into the patch notes, but the fact that the CS team can't tell you it's a bug that will be fixed in a future patch just shows how well trained they are.
    Well, if this was a bug on KMS, then how in the world could support not figure that out instantly? Surely, they had to have logs, or brains, or... anything? Ctrl+f ? It is incredibly annoying to go days, and be told that "No, this is your computer," and now it turns out is was a known thing in KMS? Jesus...

• SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,375
    edited November 2017
    Yep. Customer support is full of-- *tackled by 500 moderators*
    pandabunniesTheSaltySimenPetalmagicMewelup
    edited November 2017
    I wanted to post something fun, but I'm done trying. Nexon support, please catch on fire as I have never in my life had to deal with a more incompetent bunch of fools than you. I work with children daily, and I'm pretty sure they have been more help through this than you guys ever were.

So for my final piece of this rant, I present some art called:

"Is that the sun? Oh, it is just a dumpster fire."
    cpNluTu.png

ImASpawnSlave
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    With Blazing Extinction I found if you stay afk for a bit then you won't dc
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited November 2017
    I wanted to post something fun, but I'm done trying. Nexon support, please catch on fire as I have never in my life had to deal with a more incompetent bunch of fools than you. I work with children daily, and I'm pretty sure they have been more help through this than you guys ever were.

So for my final piece of this rant, I present some art called:

"Is that the sun? Oh, it is just a dumpster fire."

Ranting is one thing, insulting is not. Your bug is reportedly being fixed in the upcoming update (check the update notes when they come out to be sure), don't insult people just because you're upset.

Close reason: Rant turned Nexon bashing.
This discussion has been closed.