[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

New player

volelilyvolelily
Reactions: 200
edited November 2017 in General Chat
Is it worth starting this game from scratch this late into it? if so were would be a good place to go/ class to play?

Comments

• RokaniRokani
    Reactions: 1,220
    edited November 2017
    No reason not to give it a try.

Where to go? Reboot probably, its not very P2W but you have to grind everything out, though thats normally easier than the normal servers. Also it has no market.
    Otherwise the normal servers, just look how full they are to get an idea of population.

Go with Aran (totally not bias'd) they are pretty strong and good all round class.
  • ACMBlackCipherACMBlackCipher
    Reactions: 1,690
    edited November 2017
    I wouldn't say it's too late. Yeah, at this point most of the people you will encounter have either been playing for a very long time or have paid a lot of money to get strong quick. But if you're looking to start maple casually and are not too concerned with reaching endgame content too quickly then I say that you can start whenever and enjoy the ride.

The game is not the same as when I first started (very fond memories of those times) but it's still Maple at its core. There's a lot of issues with this game - as you might see if you browse the forums for a bit - but as a casual player you could probably overlook those for the time being and just enjoy playing some of the classes.

Reboot is good if you want to focus on solo progression. Regular servers are good for if you want to be able to buy things with meso (arguably you could do without this but I personally hate grinding all the time for meso, but nothing against either, of course).

As for a class that depends on what you want to see yourself as: A warrior; up close and personal? A mage; with magical power over the elements? A thief; Sneaky doer of justice and occasional petty theft? A bowman; sharp eyesight and a long range? A pirate; free to roam and attack with brutal, if ungraceful, efficiency?

Granted, if mental roleplay isn't your thing then look for your most desired trait: mobility, attack style, unfunded range, the list goes on.

TL;DR
    It's never too late.
  • KingopiratesKingopirates
    Reactions: 1,620
    edited November 2017
    It's a greatly amusing game to play, even when starting from scratch.
    However if your asking: Will I be the only new player?
    Yes... yet no.
    I agree to the fact that most of the maple players are doing way higher lvl missions and having high lvl and range and experience in this game.
    And its also a fact that not alot of new players are seen daily.
    This does not mean there is a very low number of new characters who you will play with, trough the beginning of the game.
    Maplestory players are used to making new characters that helps get there higher characters more power,
    or even alot of maplers just wanna relive the beginning story of one of the many playable characters amazingly composed storyline.
    I wouldn't see it as a bad thing mostly experienced players are found even at the very beginning.
    Cause they are also the ones who will get you true this game.
    Hope i helped making your decision easyer :-)
    Enjoy a world full of masterfull story's, skills, bosses, character developments, and last but not least: MapleFriends

Greatings,
    Kingopirates
    (Luna EU)
  • KingopiratesKingopirates
    Reactions: 1,620
    edited November 2017
    It's a greatly amusing game to play, even when starting from scratch.
    However if your asking: Will I be the only new player?
    Yes... yet no.
    I agree to the fact that most of the maple players are doing way higher lvl missions and having high lvl and range and experience in this game.
    And its also a fact that not alot of new players are seen daily.
    This does not mean there is a very low number of new characters who you will play with, trough the beginning of the game.
    Maplestory players are used to making new characters that helps get there higher characters more power,
    or even alot of maplers just wanna relive the beginning story of one of the many playable characters amazingly composed storyline.
    I wouldn't see it as a bad thing mostly experienced players are found even at the very beginning.
    Cause they are also the ones who will get you true this game.
    Hope i helped making your decision easyer :-)
    Enjoy a world full of masterfull story's, skills, bosses, character developments, and last but not least: MapleFriends

Greatings,
    Kingopirates
    (Luna EU)

Also: New playable character this weak, so lots of low lvled people.
  • DSpellGuyDSpellGuy
    Reactions: 1,195
    edited November 2017
    a decent choice for new players without funding would be Demon Avenger or Demon Slayer. Avenger uses HP solely and even has a self heal skill. Slayer uses some HP to pay for some skills, but is STR based [Avenger uses HP for everything]. Another suggestion would be Aran [keep in mind this is a class that plays like old school arcade fighting games in terms of using key input combos] as it's tanky and hits hard. Battle Mage would be decent as well [hits like a warrior, but is a mage so no worries on blind status].

You'll likely see a lot of the new class after the patch today - Cadena is a new thief.
    SherriSlicedTime