[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Closing Star Planet

Comments

• CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited October 2016
    I had made a post about the loss of Star Planet on the old forums, But it seems like only now people care to talk about the impact after it's removal lol
    JettLuvsU
  • NarogNarog
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited October 2016
    Star planet had too many flaws and on top of that less than 1% even used it , they should have closed before it was way too much for too little result
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited October 2016
    Narog
    Narog said:

Star planet had too many flaws and on top of that less than 1% even used it , they should have closed before it was way too much for too little result
    exactly and it sucked and still does they took away alot of gud things in this game and put complete and utter crap. what happen to the times when we can pvp in this game. when we can actually party quest. what happen to partys and team events. this game lost sight of what made it great. and yes i still play it cause for me i at least help remind people what makes this game great. ;D
  • KerBansotKerBansot
    Reactions: 1,635
    edited October 2016
    Scoop
    Scoop said:

None of those options will fill the whole left by Star Planet. Unless they have regular events that allow you to get 30k RP in 20 days, players like me will just be screwed.

And I'll have a hard time believing bots are a major concern for Nexon given the fact that any map with a decent spawn rate has fire balls flying all across the screen.
    Currently I do the following bosses:
    ra 1
    ra 2
    ra 3
    ra 4
    ht
    zak
    easy mag
    ranmaru
    vl
    ani
    cht
    krexel
    mad ran
    pb/cpb
    hilla
    ephenia
    gollux
    black viking

This ends up to 810 RP. 850 if I get lucky w/ both sides of Pianus.

On MC, I have 3 24-hour boxes that is at an almost constant rate of 200 RP, and one 6 hour box w/ an almost constant rate of 70. So my total for MC per day (assuming I only do 1 6-hour box per day) is 670.

This leaves my daily total to roughly 1480. Multiply it by 30 it's 44,400.

Since you mentioned 20 days 1480x20 = 29600. It's October 19 and I've already bought 2 face/hair album slots, maxed black and red cubes, and two shield scrolls. with plenty of RP to spare.

Aside from the original time invested in Monster Collection, my daily boss runs take me roughly 45 minutes. And I'm not pro. I'm only 850k clean. Buffing + MPE red pots/guild pots gets me to 1m. I can't even do Hard Hilla, NMag nor CPB. But it's cool. I get RP, exp, and GP at the same time in less than an hour while still able to talk to guildies.

In Star Planet, I'd find myself bored to death waiting for other players, then watch them take their own sweet ass time on their turns while completely disconnected from the game.

tl;dr: I'm not going to miss star planet.
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Deathmobs
    Deathmobs said:

The one thing I'm slightly concerned about is the hair dye coupons. If they're ripping out Star Planet... what's going to happen to any saved hair styles we have that are MIXED color patterns?
    The suggestion to make mix dye coupons available in cash shop was forwarded last month. Hopefully something will come of it.

Mix Dye coupons were also available for in-game quests at one point (something about daily missions, I think?).

Even if they never become available again, I don't see a reason for any character who has mixed-dye hair to lose it. They're not deleting the mix-dye mechanism, just the coupon that lets you change it.
    (However, I thought the Salon doesn't properly save mixed-dye hair colors, anyway? Only the base color? At least I read that at some point. Might have been changed or fixed since.)
    It saves the mixed dye color, but the UI can't display it, so it will only display the base color, which is odd.
    Catooolooo

I had made a post about the loss of Star Planet on the old forums, But it seems like only now people care to talk about the impact after it's removal lol
    For the record, I was always in favor of having it removed as long as the means of acquiring RP was shifted more towards actually playing the game.

However, based on that memo we got, it doesn't seem like that will be the case.
  • DiannikaDiannika
    Reactions: 995
    edited October 2016
    KerBansot
    KerBansot said:

Currently I do the following bosses:
    ra 1
    ra 2
    ra 3
    ra 4
    ht
    zak
    easy mag
    ranmaru
    vl
    ani
    cht
    krexel
    mad ran
    pb/cpb
    hilla
    ephenia
    gollux
    black viking

This ends up to 810 RP. 850 if I get lucky w/ both sides of Pianus.

On MC, I have 3 24-hour boxes that is at an almost constant rate of 200 RP, and one 6 hour box w/ an almost constant rate of 70. So my total for MC per day (assuming I only do 1 6-hour box per day) is 670.

This leaves my daily total to roughly 1480. Multiply it by 30 it's 44,400.

Since you mentioned 20 days 1480x20 = 29600. It's October 19 and I've already bought 2 face/hair album slots, maxed black and red cubes, and two shield scrolls. with plenty of RP to spare.

Aside from the original time invested in Monster Collection, my daily boss runs take me roughly 45 minutes. And I'm not pro. I'm only 850k clean. Buffing + MPE red pots/guild pots gets me to 1m. I can't even do Hard Hilla, NMag nor CPB. But it's cool. I get RP, exp, and GP at the same time in less than an hour while still able to talk to guildies.

In Star Planet, I'd find myself bored to death waiting for other players, then watch them take their own sweet ass time on their turns while completely disconnected from the game.

tl;dr: I'm not going to miss star planet.
    before, you could earn all that + the 30k in 20 days.
    the fact that you can earn whatever amount in whatever amount of time doesnt negate the fact that we are losing a source of income.

then there are the many of us who CANT make that much in boss runs. Literally cannot.

also, i assume you either play extrememely limited time, or dont actually use MC to hunt for RP but for the enhance items? (30 min boxes are most efficient way in MC to collect RP, and i believe meso, probably trait items too. but not enhance items, since each higher level box has more stuff then the one below it)
  • KerBansotKerBansot
    edited October 2016
    Diannika
    Diannika said:

before, you could earn all that + the 30k in 20 days.
    I don't get why you want to earn "all that + the 30k in 20 days". Isn't there a limit on how much you can earn?

Diannika
    Diannika said:

also, i assume you either play extrememely limited time, or dont actually use MC to hunt for RP but for the enhance items? (30 min boxes are most efficient way in MC to collect RP, and i believe meso, probably trait items too. but not enhance items, since each higher level box has more stuff then the one below it)

That's exactly my point. I don't spend a lot of time in the game because I can't afford to but still it's possible for me to reach monthly cap. I don't find the need to spend valuable time waiting for bots to play with in Star Planet because RP earned in-game is sufficient.

Diannika
    Diannika said:

the fact that you can earn whatever amount in whatever amount of time doesnt negate the fact that we are losing a source of income.
    I'm sorry I mean no offense here, but the "income" you lose is spent for stuff you use in the game. I just find it odd that people are so against the alternative ways to get RP when these alternatives just don't give you RP but a lot of other things too. And to top it off, these alternatives are in the actual game and not in some pseudo extension.

I mean w/ boss and MC - I get exp, GP, RP, enhance items and still be in the game. In Star Planet there's only RP.

Again, I mean no offense, but it seems to me a lot of people are just ticked that the easy way out is now gone. I wouldn't have commented on this issue if people were just complaining on the amount of the RP. But after reading through the thread, it seems a lot of the guys are complaining coz they can't be fudged to put on the effort.

Diannika
    Diannika said:

then there are the many of us who CANT make that much in boss runs. Literally cannot.
    I get that, believe me. January of this year I couldn't kill CHT. I just kept at it. Buying 2 shield scrolls a month to use on my gollux set, using whatever css I can buy on my cra. I'm not a 2m-2m pro. I'm not even 1m clean. But I'm getting closer. Again, no offense, but all this hate about star planet closing seems like thinly-veiled statements about how the easy way out is now gone. If you want it and want it fast, use real cash. That's always how it's been anyway.
  • todayYoudieetodayYoudiee
    Reactions: 885
    edited October 2016
    i think the main problem is that we could get RW with our other accounts as well our mains, and that gave us a good way to farm some extra cubes, even if they do increase the amount of RW via bossing, this will not affect our "RW mules" or whatever u call it. i'm disapointed they choose to close it, but well, what we gona do???
  • DiannikaDiannika
    edited October 2016
    you do not replace something level 30-somethings can do with only something high-levels can do. Also, dont fricken target me about the hate... all ive said is it needs to be responsibly replaced, not with something that only caters to the upper class.

as for limit, yes there is a limit you can earn... and star planet had seperate limits. so you were in fact able to earn more then you can just in game. the 30k was, i believe, the monthly limit in star planet (but as you could earn 1500 per day you would make it in 20 days) That limit was COMPLETELY seperate from the maplestory limit...
  • SandwichSandwich
    Reactions: 2,830
    edited October 2016
    Personally, I never visited star planet even once.
  • KerBansotKerBansot
    edited October 2016
    Diannika
    Diannika said:

you do not replace something level 30-somethings can do with only something high-levels can do. Also, dont fricken target me about the hate... all ive said is it needs to be responsibly replaced, not with something that only caters to the upper class.

as for limit, yes there is a limit you can earn... and star planet had seperate limits. so you were in fact able to earn more then you can just in game. the 30k was, i believe, the monthly limit in star planet (but as you could earn 1500 per day you would make it in 20 days) That limit was COMPLETELY seperate from the maplestory limit...
    I still don't get it. The stuff you can get in the Rewards Shop is mostly to make end-game/high-level gear better. What would level 30 characters do with cubes? Or shield scrolls? Even if it's for inventory expansions, what low end gear would be worth stashing in the expanded inventories for? Seriously, enlighten me on this one because I honestly don't get it.

And the other thing I don't get, I understand the separate limitations. I recall it being 1.5k for Star Planet and 3k for in-game. Still, there's a monthly cap. Does this mean that the issue here is now it's no longer possible to reach cap in less than 20 days? What's the rush? Is it because you don't want to spend the whole month getting the RP?

Also, I wasn't targeting you. I was responding to you since you responded to me. That's how discussions go, if I was targeting you I'd clearly use the word "you" like I'm doing now. I shared my opinion as to what I've read in this and other threads so far and I am open to discussion and even trying to understand where you guys are coming from since I can not personally relate.

But if that's not possible then let's go with the facts:

-It's a free game that needs money to survive.
    -RP, like MP, is just one of those fixes to all the pay2win complaints and possibly keep the F2P playerbase.
    -Star Planet had been a constant complaint because of the bots, the dupes and all the other issues.
    -Players were not using it as intended (playing on more than one char/acct/both to reach the monthly/daily cap faster)
    -This^ quite possibly resulted in less revenue for the company.

From a business standpoint there's limited options as to how to address it. They can either spend further resources on fixing the problems which will not fix the lessened revenue brought about by farming RP in multiple accounts or they can just shut it down and possibly bank on those who can not do/do not want to take the in-game route. I'm sure there's more and I'd like to think they considered it but hey.. *shrugs*
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Diannika
    Diannika said:

The monthly limit on RP is 45,000 from all non-NX sources.
    You could reach that by Star Planet alone - and many botters did, on multiple accounts.
    But it's reachable without it as well. Daily limit in-game is 3000, so you could theoretically reach your monthly cap in 15 days.
    There's no need to raise any caps to compensate for the loss of Star Planet.
    todayYoudiee

i think the main problem is that we could get RW with our other accounts as well our mains, and that gave us a good way to farm some extra cubes, even if they do increase the amount of RW via bossing, this will not affect our "RW mules" or whatever u call it. i'm disapointed they choose to close it, but well, what we gona do???
    Did you ever stop to think that maybe Nexon didn't intend for us to be able to easily farm RP on a dozen mule accounts and get extra cubes and scrolls to use on our mains' gear?

• DiannikaDiannika
    edited October 2016

Guess what, Lower level players have gear too! *gasp* shocking i know. Guess what! that gear? It affects their stats! I know, i know, unbelievable. and whats even more insane is some players actually want to have decent stats and potentials EVEN IF THEY ARENT END GAME!!

Then there are the inventory expansions, which pretty much everyone needs. and once more, THERE IS MORE TO THE GORRAM GAME THEN JUST THE ENDGAME. As for equipment, guess what, there are event equipment, cash shop clothing for some insane reason goes in equipment instead of cash tab, collecting items BEFORE you need them *gasp* oh yeah, and collecting items to sell. Use items -- how DARE someone not at end game want to be able to USE items!! and etc slots... guess people arent allowed to do professions or events unless they are at end game either. Or collect chairs or titles.

No need for exp coupons while your leveling... lets save that for end game too, when its useless. Not allowed to use sharing tags, or hammers, or aura pendent or ring...but thats ok, they arent allowed an additional pendant slot besides the 6 weeks of one we get from athenaeum. oh, but all you elite/endgame players will insist that we arent allowed to do that, because it isnt the most effective way to level, so i guess not even that. no evolving pets, no more than one pet, and no reviving pets. No safety charms, buiff freezers, respawn tokens, or scissors either right? only endgame people need those! shops too.

And we ALL know there is no point in scrolling your pets gear until you get the endgame version! cuz, you know, thats a thing....

not allowed more then 2 monster park entries a day, and heaven forbid they wish to have more then the alloted number of hair and face slots in salon right?

and forget completely about event stuff! nope, not allowed.

You are absolutely right! no reason for anyone other than engame players to be allowed to ENJOY playing the game. What on earth was i thinking?!
  • DiannikaDiannika
    edited October 2016
    As for the less insane portions of your post

I AM NOT SAYING STAR PLANET SHOULD NOT BE CLOSED. I SAID THEY SHOULD REASONABLY AND RESPONSIBLY MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS, NOT JUST CATER TO THE HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS. NOT EVERYONE CAN GET ANYWHERE NEAR THE CAP WITH THE SYSTEM IN PLACE.

Some people actually PLAY the game, not just speed thru to end game and then whine about there being little to do.
    Some people actually PLAY multiple characters, not just grind them to 120 for link and abandon them or use them as mules.
    Some people even do that ON MULTIPLE SERVERS. esp reboot and another server.

As for making money, they make most of that on pets and clothing and gatch anyway, none of which is available in reward shop, This is why reboot is still around, even tho most players play there, and there is no pay-to-win (except the new fishing thing) because they still make plenty of money from it.

and btw, for the most part the inventory expansions are the LEAST important item in cash shop, as you can get most of them by playing friend story. if, y'know, you actually take time to play the game, anyway.
  • DiannikaDiannika
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Diannika
    Diannika said:

The monthly limit on RP is 45,000 from all non-NX sources.
    You could reach that by Star Planet alone - and many botters did, on multiple accounts.
    But it's reachable without it as well. Daily limit in-game is 3000, so you could theoretically reach your monthly cap in 15 days.
    There's no need to raise any caps to compensate for the loss of Star Planet.
    todayYoudiee

Did you ever stop to think that maybe Nexon didn't intend for us to be able to easily farm RP on a dozen mule accounts and get extra cubes and scrolls to use on our mains' gear?

you perhaps could. Even theoretically, i couldnt. or in 30 i dont think, unless i dont do ANYTHING (including sleep) without opening boxes on both servers i play every 30 mins. and including all bosses i can fight without carries currently on all chars (not all chars having done all the theme dungeons they theoretically could have, and not all chars being high enough to do real bosses)

also, my rant wasnt at you, just in case you werent sure :)

as for what you say about multi-ing for RP, bossing leads to a hell of a lot of that, and its just an accepted part of mapleing. *Shrug* i dont see legit players of star planet as any worse. (and before you say botters, i am aware that was a problem, as i said above im not saying it should come back...tho the many other hackers etc should be taken into account as well. you know ppl hack during bossing, or their wouldnt be anti-hack measures in bosses....)
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Diannika
    Diannika said:

As for making money, they make most of that on pets and clothing and gatch anyway, none of which is available in reward shop, This is why reboot is still around, even tho most players play there, and there is no pay-to-win (except the new fishing thing) because they still make plenty of money from it.
    Wrong. They make most of their money from cubes.
    Reboot has a subscription fee (in the form of cash-only pets and water-of-life) precisely because cosmetics are not enough for Nexon.
    And if people are able to get a hundred free cubes a month instead of 10, just by making alternate accounts with level 30 mules that can't kill a mushroom but can farm Reward Points somehow (Star Planet or a weakling-friendly substitute), Nexon has a problem.

As for alternate ways to earn RP, @gamechanger made this thread in the old forums back in March.
    I'll quote what I wrote in it:
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

I agree. Maple Reward Points should be earned for playing MapleStory, not for playing Uno or Yut.

So, what do people do in this game, other than bossing (which is already Rewarded)?

1. Train (kill non-boss mobs). Normally I'd Reward this, as AznboiE suggested. However, with the state of botting in the game as it is, I'd rather not. Or cap the reward at, say, 1000 mobs in your level range. Any more than that give you nothing.

2. Craft and Harvest. I'd say get one RP per fatigue point spent, up to some daily limit.

3. Quest. Every quest completed should give a Reward Point, same as they now give guild Contribution. Longer quest lines can give an extra bonus, as you suggested. However, since they're not repeatable, it doesn't really matter either way.

4. Party Quests, and other daily/hourly content (such as DI, Evo, Commerci solo voyages, Kritias Invasion, Flag Race, vaious events).

5. Merchant. We should get some RP per hour of having a shop open, up to some daily cap. Note that goldfarmer bots have shops too. Maybe this will give Nexon some motivation to hunt them down and close them.

6. Enhance gear. Using scrolls, cubes, spell traces, star-force, stamps, hammers, etc, should all give some Reward Points.

7. Socialize. I'd like to Reward being social in-game, but I'm afraid this will just lead to people spamming chat. If anyone has a suggestion on how to do it right, I'd love to hear it.

8. AFK. AznboiE suggested Rewarding time logged in (much the same as we get guild Contribution and Willpower for it). While I'd personally gain from this since I'm logged in 24/7, I don't really think it's justified.

Note that for all this to not be a pain in the neck, the requirement to go in Cash Shop after every 10 times of earning RP should be lifted. If Star Planet can let you play however many games it takes to get to 1500 points before forcing you to "settle" in the Cash Shop, so can MapleStory itself.
    SkyTheDestroyergamechanger
  • DiannikaDiannika
    edited October 2016
    .... the monster collection requires you to be able to kill things... im not sure you understand how it works....
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Diannika
    Diannika said:

<
    as for what you say about multi-ing for RP, bossing leads to a hell of a lot of that, and its just an accepted part of mapleing. *Shrug* i dont see legit players of star planet as any worse. (and before you say botters, i am aware that was a problem, as i said above im not saying it should come back...tho the many other hackers etc should be taken into account as well. you know ppl hack during bossing, or their wouldnt be anti-hack measures in bosses....)
    Bossing doesn't lead to that much multi-ing for RP, because, as you keep pointing out, mules can't boss effectively. Even to get carried through bosses for RP they have to get to a high level.
    Diannika
    Diannika said:

.... the monster collection requires you to be able to kill things... im not sure you understand how it works....
    Not really. You can get the trifling lines at level 10, and the easiest Adequate lines only require about level 40 (even less if you happen to have "leveling gear" like absolute belt). Trifling is actually most efficient for RP, if you can check in on your computer every half hour.
  • DiannikaDiannika
    edited October 2016
    if you only do the baby stuff, you can only do 2 boxes at a time, per server (NOT per character) (hell, even for a long time while working on building it up thats all you can do... i actively work on it, and even with like 9 chars on reboot all fighting things of higher levels than them (as that gives a better chance/takes less time to collect) and im still onlyjust over half way to opening the 3rd box.)

if you take the current amounts into consideration, you can earn an average of 960 per day per server IF you check EVERY half hour for all 24 hours in the day.

being more reasonable (tho still longer than anyone should be actively playing in a day, tho im sure nearly none of us care about that) lets say 6 hours of play time.
    thats 240 RP, plus lets say 40 each for 2 adequate boxes for the time you are away. so another 80... thats 320 points per day per server (average, tho if speculation on them lowering RP there is right, thats actually a high estimate now)
  • DiannikaDiannika
    edited October 2016
    of course, that all assumes you dont care at all about the other things you can get from it like pot scrolls, stamps, etc and are only farming Rp therefore only doing trifling while you are online