[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

New(ish) Player Seeking Class Advice

StrexStrex
Reactions: 100
edited January 2018 in General Chat
Hey everyone! Posted this over on the Maplestory subreddit but I figured I'd crosspost it here since I haven't gotten any replies over there.

New(ish) player here looking to give the game a second shot now that I've got a bit more time. I've been browsing Ayumilove and have narrowed things down a bit to what I'm interested in, but I'd really appreciate some opinions on these classes. I'm going to be playing on Bera for sure since its populated and I don't mind spending a little bit of my budgeted fun money on NX from time to time. I've listed out the classes I'm interested in below!
  • Night Lord - Back when I first tried Maplestory (sometime around Big Bang) a few of my irl friend played NLs and I always thought they were just awesome. I think I remember they used to take quite a bit of funding, which I obviously don't have as a new player, but I don't know if that's still true or not. This class is just behind my next option at the moment.
  • Blaze Wizard - I've always been a fan of magic-based classes, and this one not only looks fun but has a bonus that would help out any mages I might make in the future. Specifically if I go this route I'd probably make a Battle Mage as my second character, as I like the idea of the Auras that go along with that class. Right now this route is where I'm leaning the most.
  • Dark Knight - Another class that I remember from back when I started playing in high school. Mostly I just like the aesthetics of this class, but I remember them looking fairly fun as well.
  • Demon Slayer - Holy cow this class looks incredibly fun, and I really like the skill aesthetics from what I've seen so far. The Demon Slayer is tied with the Night Lord as far as what I want to try as my first character.
  • Dawn Warrior - I haven't seen this class played before, but from the videos I've watched the skills look fairly cool. Currently this is the last place option I'm considering. It looks fun, and even if I don't pick it I'll probably make one in the future.

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited January 2018
    Night Lord and Dark Knight will be different compared to pre-Big Bang. All Explorers were revamped in the RED update and received makeovers on their skills.
    Blaze Wizard is reportedly fun, but ping-reliant.
    Demon Slayer is decent in my personal opinion. Many players dislike the voice actor used for the skills, however (you can turn voiced lines off in the sound options).
    I've heard from many players that Dawn Warrior is fun to play, the primary downside being the damage scaling.

But, when in doubt, if you can't decide, give the wheel a spin. If you don't like the class, there's no harm in trying another.
  • StrexStrex
    edited January 2018
    Neospector wrote: »
    Night Lord and Dark Knight will be different compared to pre-Big Bang. All Explorers were revamped in the RED update and received makeovers on their skills.
    Blaze Wizard is reportedly fun, but ping-reliant.
    Demon Slayer is decent in my personal opinion. Many players dislike the voice actor used for the skills, however (you can turn voiced lines off in the sound options).
    I've heard from many players that Dawn Warrior is fun to play, the primary downside being the damage scaling.

But, when in doubt, if you can't decide, give the wheel a spin. If you don't like the class, there's no harm in trying another.

Well, the wheel said Blaze Wizard so... that's the route I think I'm going to explore first!
  • ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited January 2018
    My main is a night lord so obviously I think they are awesome. It still does take quite a bit of funding though.
  • PigabaPigaba
    Reactions: 1,105
    edited January 2018
    Starting fresh and clean in the new world and raising your main is extremely difficult. Especially with all the top 4 characters that you picked out. They all have difficult progression barrier that are too high for new players and are more suited for funded players.
    It is better to build some good foundations with Legion, Empress Blessing and Fairy Blessings, Link Skills and some mesos with very easy start characters.
    Start out with Demon Avenger. It's, without a doubt, the best class to begin the game. The damage goes up pretty well, mobbing is easy, and Max HP% gears are cheaper than other stat% gears. And the moment you hit lv170 and learn thousand sword hyper skill, oh boy you're gonna have a blast. The best hyper skill in the game without a doubt. Huge hit range with great dmg and very short cooldown.
    Start with Demon Avenger to get some funding started. Then start Cygnus Knight to get that Empress Blessing level up (which gives all other characters Att/MAttboost). Preferably Dawn Warrior since he's the best Cygnus knight class to start out with.

If you don't want to do any of this, then spend as much as you can from your "fun money" since this game is pretty much p2w anyway.
  • StrexStrex
    edited January 2018
    Pigaba wrote: »
    Starting fresh and clean in the new world and raising your main is extremely difficult. Especially with all the top 4 characters that you picked out. They all have difficult progression barrier that are too high for new players and are more suited for funded players.
    It is better to build some good foundations with Legion, Empress Blessing and Fairy Blessings, Link Skills and some mesos with very easy start characters.
    Start out with Demon Avenger. It's, without a doubt, the best class to begin the game. The damage goes up pretty well, mobbing is easy, and Max HP% gears are cheaper than other stat% gears. And the moment you hit lv170 and learn thousand sword hyper skill, oh boy you're gonna have a blast. The best hyper skill in the game without a doubt. Huge hit range with great dmg and very short cooldown.
    Start with Demon Avenger to get some funding started. Then start Cygnus Knight to get that Empress Blessing level up (which gives all other characters Att/MAttboost). Preferably Dawn Warrior since he's the best Cygnus knight class to start out with.

If you don't want to do any of this, then spend as much as you can from your "fun money" since this game is pretty much p2w anyway.

Interesting, I hadn't really thought about building up those other skills before actually starting to level my main. That would make sense though! I may have to make a Demon Avenger as well to try out, then. Thanks for the input!
  • PizzaaPizzaa
    Reactions: 1,591
    Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    One advice that you'll hear often is: Start by lvlupping your link skills to level 120. Evan, Mercedes, Aran, Demon Avenger, Kanna, Phantom, Beast Tamer, Xenon, Hayato, Kinesis, Cannoneer, Jett and Kaiser are few classes that you will have to level up anyway because they are giving a shareable link that make your class either stronger or easier to level. You might fall in love with one of those too and it could become your main!
  • StrexStrex
    edited January 2018
    One advice that you'll hear often is: Start by lvlupping your link skills to level 120. Evan, Mercedes, Aran, Demon Avenger, Kanna, Phantom, Beast Tamer, Xenon, Hayato, Kinesis, Cannoneer, Jett and Kaiser are few classes that you will have to level up anyway because they are giving a shareable link that make your class either stronger or easier to level. You might fall in love with one of those too and it could become your main!

Thanks for the list of stuff to work on leveling! I didn't realize just how different the game was from back when I remember playing it last hah. Back then I just kinda picked a class and started leveling.

Edit: Would it be advisable to make a burning character that is one of those? I read somewhere that people were recommended burning a Kanna, but idk if that is still relevant.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited January 2018
    Strex wrote: »

Thanks for the list of stuff to work on leveling! I didn't realize just how different the game was from back when I remember playing it last hah. Back then I just kinda picked a class and started leveling.

Edit: Would it be advisable to make a burning character that is one of those? I read somewhere that people were recommended burning a Kanna, but idk if that is still relevant.

I usually burn a character I'll be training past 150, not a link skill character. If you wanted, you can burn your main, then work on your links.
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018

I don't recommend Kanna, only because they have Kishin which makes leveling a lot more faster for them. You want to burn classes that you feel, you might struggle with. Most people burn classes like Angelic Buster, Kaiser, Phantom, Mercedes, Beast Tamer, as some of these classes are a pain to level. My advice is to burn the best character you feel you won't enjoy.
    Strex
  • StrexStrex
    edited January 2018

I don't recommend Kanna, only because they have Kishin which makes leveling a lot more faster for them. You want to burn classes that you feel, you might struggle with. Most people burn classes like Angelic Buster, Kaiser, Phantom, Mercedes, Beast Tamer, as some of these classes are a pain to level. My advice is to burn the best character you feel you won't enjoy.

Aah, that makes sense. Get things over with quicker, hah. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • StrexStrex
    edited January 2018
    While I'm asking questions... how does one go about properly funding characters nowadays? I believe back when I played before I made most of my mesos by selling scrolled Work Gloves if I remember correctly. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and assume that's no longer really a thing since I haven't seen anything about them in game.
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited January 2018
    While I'm asking questions... how does one go about properly funding characters nowadays?

With real money or having friends with real money who used it properly to strengthen their character, some would be willing to let you mooch off certain bosses for their equips/"pieces."

Original Question: Night Lord is fun but terribly bad at taking damage. Defense is almost worthless pass 10k because the diminishing returns for this stat becomes horribly high beyond that amount. This is the only class I believe would give the "Ready to Die" all-thief 5th job skill live up to it's name because Night Lord can't survive strong hits without it's avoidability, which gets nearly 100% stripped while the skill is active. In return you gain a decent amount of Final Damage (Up to 25% I think), but isn't worth getting on this class unless you also have the Dark Sight + 5th job skill, but it doesn't last long.

I loved blaze wiz but man did I hate getting defamed by people assuming you're a bot or just envy you. Also ping dependent but since GMS isn't in the best condition may not be worth making this class until if they get their stuff together.

Dark Knight is fun/okay but personally I hate Gungnir because of it's cooldown and being a bossing skill I wouldn't like wasting a good inner ability line just for buff duration%.

Demonslayer I liked for a time but I just can't get into it anymore but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. It's fun to be able to target seek mobs and teleport to them but there's this thing where if you use it too many times it goes on a hidden cooldown where it wont work for a few seconds. I also don't really like how they're forcing you to use the Demon Lash skill to keep blue blood up; sacrifices lots of DPS and AoE if you don't have all the hyper passives that increases the fury gained with that skill too.

Dawn Warrior I liked when Fire Emblem became popular again because their Sun stance version of their bossing skill reminded me of when I was an Ike "main" in smash and would casually down+b off ledges and oof myself. There's constant AoE switching when you mob with equinox which can get annoying (one hits in front of you and 1 hits both front in back but half as far as the one hitting just the front. I also disliked moon stance because I felt more powerful attacks were in the sun stance where moon stance skills felt graceful.
  • YonaxYonax
    Reactions: 3,016
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    While I'm asking questions... how does one go about properly funding characters nowadays? I believe back when I played before I made most of my mesos by selling scrolled Work Gloves if I remember correctly. I'm just gonna go out on a limb and assume that's no longer really a thing since I haven't seen anything about them in game.

Most common ways to make mesos are now doing Dojo weekly (on your 141+ chars), hunt elites and sell their drops, do the bosses you can and sell their drops.
  • PigabaPigaba
    Reactions: 1,105
    edited January 2018

Aside from bossing, I'll give you 3 best tips I have for decent meso earning through auction sales

1) Keep your eyes peeled for "Rune of Treasures." When these runes are activated, a flying witch comes out and start dropping equips, mesos, potions and exp. These equips are more than likely to have Epic Potential. Armors are dropped as shield in bubbles and weapons are dropped as sword in bubbles. Collect these Epic potential items and reveal their pots. If you get %Stat equips, transfer hammer the potential to equip for the job that corresponds with that stat line (for ex, if magician equip epic pot turned out to be %str lines, then transfer it to warrior equips). Then sell these epic items for reasonable price on auctions. I put emphasis on "reasonable" because I see people putting epic equips for wayyyy more than what they're actually worth. Look up the average prices of other epic items of the sort and learn the market before putting the item up for sale. This way, you can definitely make sales and get the reasonable pay out.

2) Don't throw away or just sell low level items to NPC market. Check out these low level equips (below lv100) rare potential lines to see if you get %stat line. If you do, put it on the auction for reasonably higher than what you would've gotten from selling it to NPC market. Some people just want to make character for their legion scores with very low funding, and they will very much like to buy them.

3) Also, put lvl 80-110 equips on the market even if they don't have good pot lines (also for decently higher price than what NPC market would've gave you). These items can be used for transfer hammer mediums. But since these lvl80-110 can't be bought from the NPC stores, players acutally have to have character around that level mobbing to get those equips. If you put them up for reasonable price, lazy people (like me) who don't want to take time trying to find these equips themselves will buy them off of market.

• Player1Player1
    Reactions: 1,040
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    Pigaba wrote: »

Aside from bossing, I'll give you 3 best tips I have for decent meso earning through auction sales

1) Keep your eyes peeled for "Rune of Treasures." When these runes are activated, a flying witch comes out and start dropping equips, mesos, potions and exp. These equips are more than likely to have Epic Potential. Armors are dropped as shield in bubbles and weapons are dropped as sword in bubbles. Collect these Epic potential items and reveal their pots. If you get %Stat equips, transfer hammer the potential to equip for the job that corresponds with that stat line (for ex, if magician equip epic pot turned out to be %str lines, then transfer it to warrior equips). Then sell these epic items for reasonable price on auctions. I put emphasis on "reasonable" because I see people putting epic equips for wayyyy more than what they're actually worth. Look up the average prices of other epic items of the sort and learn the market before putting the item up for sale. This way, you can definitely make sales and get the reasonable pay out.

2) Don't throw away or just sell low level items to NPC market. Check out these low level equips (below lv100) rare potential lines to see if you get %stat line. If you do, put it on the auction for reasonably higher than what you would've gotten from selling it to NPC market. Some people just want to make character for their legion scores with very low funding, and they will very much like to buy them.

3) Also, put lvl 80-110 equips on the market even if they don't have good pot lines (also for decently higher price than what NPC market would've gave you). These items can be used for transfer hammer mediums. But since these lvl80-110 can't be bought from the NPC stores, players acutally have to have character around that level mobbing to get those equips. If you put them up for reasonable price, lazy people (like me) who don't want to take time trying to find these equips themselves will buy them off of market.

Likewise with the rune of treasures, the bonus rounds of elite bosses can also give the same things (most preferred would be anything other than beating up treasures because that takes a while and they group up so you don't see the weapon or shield bubbles much and you also have to use z to pick them up) (if you plan on playing in reboot, these are great to have when burning a character during the early levels because you can transfer hammer up epic pot gears to the level 100 frozen set)
  • TheHoATheHoA
    Reactions: 2,210
    edited January 2018
    If you need the easiest start possible - make a demon avenger.