[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Can I get banned for......

azzacuraazzacura
Reactions: 765
edited February 2018 in General Chat
With all the discussions lately about people claiming to be falsely accused of hacking and banned, I was wondering if the following actions could potentially get a player banned, be it justified or not:

1. Can you get banned for buying a (unbeknownst to you) duplicated item on AH, and then selling that same item on the AH again?
2. Can you get banned for having an addon program for a different game open while playing Maplestory?
3. Can you get banned for having mods on your computer for a different game while playing Maplestory?
4. Can you get banned for using a third party program that allows you to link keys from your keyboard to your controller? So you can play with a controller instead of keyboard?
5. Can you get banned for making a makro on your computer so that if you press one key it automatically registers 3 more? But actively playing with it? For example: With Mercedes you want to make certain combo's, and you can't place all of the skills in the ingame makro thingy (in your skill screen). So can I jump around, press one key and the game thinks I pressed 4 keys to kill stuff and then pick up the drops? I haven't done this but I know it's possible so was wondering if it's allowed or not.

7. Sometimes when I'm walking (well, double jumping) to a different map I get the "hack detected" window, but I'm not doing anything and I can just click the window away without getting disconnected. Should I be worried or is this a known issue?

I have had several mods and addons for different games (GTA, B&W, WoW) in the past. I was thinking about downloading some again but I don't want to risk Nexons bot thinking I'm gonna hack in Maplestory and ban me. And the addon program I use for WoW (Curse) was changed recently (to Twitch) so sadly I can't turn it off completely without going into task manager and guessing which process it is.

I'm not asking if questions 1-4 are good reasons to be banned. I'm asking whether they can get me banned in any way, shape, or form.

Comments

• ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited February 2018
    1. if it's unbeknownst to you then probably not and especially if you no longer have it. Nexon has done chain bans before where everyone who got in contact with an item was banned but this was only for obviously hacked items where the stats are impossible to get.
    2. depends on what the add on program is. If you're going to hack in another game, well you shouldn't but you could be banned here for having it open even if it's for a different game.
    3. again depends on what the mod is
    4. nexon allows you to use a controller and they even have an ingame support system or something for it
    5. I'm not sure on this one
    6. don't worry about that hack detection window, it shows up if you kill too fast or lag.
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Hiya, as long as you are not doing anything to violate the game’s rules, you should be fine.

The GM hack detections that show up if you are lagging or attacking mobs while lagging are false and do not result in bans, so you should be fine. When you see mobs frozen, I recommend you don’t attack until they start moving again for lesser chance to get the false message.

Macro hunting is not allowed. You should always reply to any GMs that may whisper/detect you of possible botting. (Botting is obviously against the rules.)

As for programs, it depends. If you running a cheat engine for another game, you may run the risk to be detected by ngs check, so if you are feeling worried, close all your programs before running maple. Otherwise, running a browser or a normal program shouldn’t result in the detection.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    #5 I'm pretty sure is against the rules, even if you're at your computer the entire time to answer GMs that whisper you. 1 human input = 1 in-game output is the rule I tend to assume is in place if they don't explicitly say they allow macros lol. Doubt they'll be able to catch you, tho.

#2 I run Alt 1 on RuneScape all the time while MapleStory's open, haven't been banned yet. Might want to consider shutting off the add-ons, depending on what they are though, just to be safe.

#4 not sure, but it's probably against the rules. there is an in-game controller thingy, but it's kinda limited. use that, if possible. most classes can get by with the limited buttons lol.

Also, ya skipped 6.
  • iHateForumsiHateForums
    Reactions: 560
    edited February 2018
    Rheariel wrote: »
    Hiya, as long as you are not doing anything to violate the game’s rules, you should be fine.

The GM hack detections that show up if you are lagging or attacking mobs while lagging are false and do not result in bans, so you should be fine. When you see mobs frozen, I recommend you don’t attack until they start moving again for lesser chance to get the false message.

This is false information, I've said it before and am now saying it again... I have been banned for one month from the so called "false message" Maple police pop up (Continued to attack through lag on 2x event) Which ended up with me being banned for an entire month and no the tickets i sent did nothing.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2018
    This is false information, I've said it before and am now saying it again... I have been banned for one month from the so called "false message" Maple police pop up (Continued to attack through lag on 2x event) Which ended up with me being banned for an entire month and no the tickets i sent did nothing.

Er, no, the GM Police message has no ability to ban you. I've gotten it plenty myself.

You were likely banned by a GM, however I have no way of knowing any of the details. The GM Police message itself is nothing but an indicator that the server and the client are no longer in sync. There is an automated system related to hack detection, but the GM Police message is not part of it as far as I've experienced it; the two are separate systems. Most players report auto-bans without receiving this message.
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018

Not sure where you got the idea of it being "false information". I, myself have gotten this message quite a lot because I learned that attacking while lagging can get you the GM message which doesn't ban at all.
  • 9gag9gag
    Reactions: 270
    edited February 2018
    You should always reply to any GMs that may whisper/detect you of possible botting.
    Yeah! because how many of us want to have the chat window open while training and having the chat window spammed by stuff on the ground, that's a good way for legitimate players to get wrongfully banned.

Have a GM come into map GM, Whispers you, you don't see the GM Whisper because the chat window is closed GM assumes you're a botter get banned lawl.

GM's should send a popup message box to the player asking them to reply not relay on the player to have the chat window open.
  • iHateForumsiHateForums
    Reactions: 560
    edited February 2018
    Not sure where you got the idea of it being "false information". I, myself have gotten this message quite a lot because I learned that attacking while lagging can get you the GM message which doesn't ban at all.

Was referring to my personal experience (One month ban) Personally i have never hacked/botted soooooo the only reason i see why i was banned was due to having so many "Gm police pop ups" appear within a short period of time, but all i did was try to partake in a 2x event that kept dcing me and decided to continue attacking through the lag..

@Neospecter If im remembering correctly you were the one who replied to my message about the gm police pop up ban last time yet you said something different (acknowledged people got banned from it) or something along those lines.
  • azzacuraazzacura
    edited February 2018
    I'm flattered by all the red borders here.

Some more information on my questions:

I use Twitch (add-on program) for WoW to change the UI, change the layout of my bags, have spells flashing for me, have different timers on my spells, have health bars in the middle of my screen, etc. It's completely legal in WoW but absolutely gamechanging haha. I'm just worried maybe the anti-hack detection of Maplestory might think it's used for Maplestory and ban me. I don't intentionally run Twitch and Maplestory at the same time but it sometimes happens.

I have no idea what the cheat programs for my other games were called, as I have yet to re-download them. But I will make sure they are never on the same computer as Maplestory because I just don't want to risk getting banned.
    Fennekin wrote: »
    #4 not sure, but it's probably against the rules. there is an in-game controller thingy, but it's kinda limited. use that, if possible. most classes can get by with the limited buttons lol.

Also, ya skipped 6.

The ingame controller thingy isn't enough for my friends Luminous, as it only lets you link 12 keys. You already lose 3 if you want to manually use potions (health, mana, all-cure), and you also lose a bunch to buffs, so there aren't enough left for all the skills.... Any tips are appreciated! And yes I seem to have skipped 6.

Thank you for reassuring me about the automated hack detections. I will keep your advise in mind when I'm lagging.
    9gag wrote: »
    You should always reply to any GMs that may whisper/detect you of possible botting.
    Yeah! because how many of us want to have the chat window open while training and having the chat window spammed by stuff on the ground, that's a good way for legitimate players to get wrongfully banned.

Have a GM come into map GM, Whispers you, you don't see the GM Whisper because the chat window is closed GM assumes you're a botter get banned lawl.

GM's should send a popup message box to the player asking them to reply not relay on the player to have the chat window open.

9Gag has a point, I play Mercedes and my chat window is always spammed away by "You're not high enough to use this skill". If a GM would ever try to contact me I doubt I would even see their message.... Maybe if someone does not respond to a whisper, try opening a chat window with the player? It's harder to spam that notification away.

And yesterday I noticed something odd: I had Heroes of the Storm open and kept getting disconnected from maplestory at the screen where you choose a server. When I closed Heroes of the Storm I could open Maplestory normally. I haven't had this issue before and Heroes of the Storm was the only other program open. Should I go to tech support with this?
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2018
    @Neospecter If im remembering correctly you were the one who replied to my message about the gm police pop up ban last time yet you said something different (acknowledged people got banned from it) or something along those lines.

I told you that players had reported getting banned after seeing the message (at the time), however it only occurred after numerous messages. Most auto-bans current have been reported as "I was just AFKing" or "I was just training".
    You falsely interpreted it as "people get banned for 2x lag".
    azzacura wrote: »
    The ingame controller thingy isn't enough for my friends Luminous, as it only lets you link 12 keys. You already lose 3 if you want to manually use potions (health, mana, all-cure), and you also lose a bunch to buffs, so there aren't enough left for all the skills.... Any tips are appreciated! And yes I seem to have skipped 6.

You can condense the 3 potion keys into 2 or even 1; Power Elixirs and Elixirs are common from events (we have Wonderoid right now which lets you farm Power Elixirs easily). Alternatively, Ginger Ales from New Leaf City are cheap. Most people heal using those potions, because they restore both HP and MP, and use %HP and %MP instead of base amounts.
    All-Cures aren't as much of a necessity later on in the game, as the last boss that has any sort of long-lasting status effect would be Pink Bean. Most of the other bosses, including Elite Bosses, can be resolved using Hero's Will (or equivalent for your class). Newer bosses like Lotus, Damien, Lucid, and Will do not use status effects (thankfully).
    Others have already mentioned that Maple's gamepad usability is rather low, though. It hasn't particularly been updated in some time.

Otherwise it's advised that you don't use a 3rd-party remapping tool; though not explicitly against the rules, it might be detected as such.
  • azzacuraazzacura
    edited February 2018
    I never even knew about ginger ales from NLC, I'm gonna look into that.

I still have untradeable potions from events 2-3 years ago that I try to use as much as possible before using elixirs, and the same goes for my friend. But the elixirs are a good idea.
  • LadysioLadysio
    Reactions: 1,725
    edited February 2018
    The way i think of it as this 1-infinity might get you banned seeing as they hold the right to "update" the ToS as they see fit XD

All jokes aside about #4 thanks to steam controller support i can remap buttons to whatever i want on my xbone controller including triggers and both left and right analog buttons and as far as i can see that system is both a 3rd party AND not a 3rd party program simply cause maplestory is ran through steam its self thats a major loop hole nexon would have to explain XD
  • KerBansotKerBansot
    Reactions: 1,635
    edited February 2018
    Neospector wrote: »

Otherwise it's advised that you don't use a 3rd-party remapping tool; though not explicitly against the rules, it might be detected as such.

This had me palpitating. I broke a key on my keyboard a while back, a key I used often for work (the plus sign on the numpad) so I used a remapping tool to sub it to a key that works which I don't normally use (the minus sign on the numpad). It eventually got worse that I ended up remapping several other keys, mostly because I needed them for maple instead of work. LOL!

Man.. thank god I bought a new one. I could've been banned D: