[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Poll: Anti-AFK mobs

Comments

• KingofrunesKingofrunes
    Reactions: 865
    edited February 2018
    I think these anti-AFK mobs are a pain in the butt and should be removed. That's what I thought at first. However reading through the comments I could see how they could still be necessary for GMS.

However I hear people talking about KSing other people to get them off a map, KS wars, and straight up finding ways to force d/c people so they can claim their map. When you got crap like that going on, anti AFK mobs being there or not would have very little effect. Most people I feel would just ignore the afker as the worst they can do is defame you, or get a KS war going. At which point it isn't worth the trouble.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2018
    i say we should get rid of it so if let's say, a player needs to use the bathroom for 5 min, he won't get killed and his exp lost.

They can AFK in Ardentmill (free teleport) or in town. Level 200+ doesn't have to be hard, but it shouldn't be casual either; why AFK in a battle map? In any other game if you AFK'd like this you'd risk being killed as well.
    But wait, if you leave, you lose the map! Well, hey, then either we have the same problem KMS has with hogging maps or we don't and the person stealing your map isn't going to care if you're there or not, so that point is moot entirely.

Besides, Scrapyard has had anti-AFK measures long before Arcane River ever came about, and no one complained. If you AFK in Upper Skyline or any map beyond that you're going to die from falling debris pretty easily. Seriously, no one ever complained about anti-AFK mechanics until Arcane River came out. I had difficulty convincing people they existed at all.

My opinion is that you don't kill bosses by demanding that they remain perfectly stationary while you beat them over the head, you learn the mechanics and develop strategies to deal with them. Same thing applies here; AFK mobs are something you should deal with, demanding their removal is like demanding that Lucid remains on her flower in the second stage, easy != better.
    There might be a flaw in how they spawn, sure, but that's more a matter of making them despawn after a time, not removing them entirely.
  • bootlickerbootlicker
    Reactions: 1,475
    edited February 2018
    The one thing they definitely should do with these is not have them spawn and hover over entrances just as soon as you enter a map. I don't mind killing the dumb things if they spawn in the middle of the map and then come over to you but seriously when you are trying to get to a map 6 to 7 or more maps away and these stupid things ambush you by literally raping you as soon as you enter a map over and over it's pretty annoying.
  • MewBlueberryMewBlueberry
    Reactions: 1,530
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    The worst part is when I dc in the middle of training in a map with anti-afk mobs. When I relog, those little buggers hone in straight for me, but I can't move right away because the stupid news window pops up and decides to lag my computer for like a full minute.
    bootlickercarmenpop22
  • Nick008Nick008
    Reactions: 925
    edited February 2018
    People shouldn't be afking where anti afk mobs are.

I think they are fine.

• VinsaneVinsane
    Reactions: 2,210
    edited February 2018
    I'd say, it's fine.
    It won't stop the hackers from finding ways around it.
    But...
    It also promotes, no leeching and hogging maps while going away from keys.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    A lot of Morass maps actually have safe platforms lol. Same for Arcana. Even Clocktower has some safe platforms.

If they're set on keeping it in here/if map-holding really is a problem in GMS, then they really need to rework the spawn logic. How about they keep the current spawn timer (every like 5ish minutes?) but make it so it resets every time a mob is killed? Kinda sucks when I want to take a bathroom break, but I have no idea when the next anti-afk mob is gonna spawn to kill me, so I end up holding it in til the next one spawns. In addition to those things people up thread said to protect players that have just entered the map/game.
    Neospector wrote: »
    \
    My opinion is that you don't kill bosses by demanding that they remain perfectly stationary while you beat them over the head, you learn the mechanics and develop strategies to deal with them. Same thing applies here; AFK mobs are something you should deal with, demanding their removal is like demanding that Lucid remains on her flower in the second stage, easy != better.
    There might be a flaw in how they spawn, sure, but that's more a matter of making them despawn after a time, not removing them entirely.

These are grinding maps. Way different from bosses. For one, most modern bosses aren't hours-long sessions. If you have to go to the bathroom in the middle of a Lucid run (which is capped at 30 min), you deserve the 1-3 deaths coming your way. In a grinding map, you don't just beat monsters over the head for 10-30 minutes, and then get teleported to a safe area; you're there for extended periods of time.

RuneScape's system is actually pretty clever, now that I think about it lol. In a dangerous area, if you continuously kill the monsters there, they stop being aggressive until you leave the area and come back (logging out and in doesn't reset the aggro timer). So after you've been there a while, you can safely take a break from the game without coming back to your corpse.

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Fennekin wrote: »
    A lot of Morass maps actually have safe platforms lol. Same for Arcana. Even Clocktower has some safe platforms.

I believe that is because those areas were added after the anti-AFK mobs were, so the developers knew no safe platform was truly safe.
    Vanishing Journey and Chu Chu did not have the anti-AFK mobs on release, which is why most maps there have no safe spots.
    Fennekin wrote: »
    If they're set on keeping it in here/if map-holding really is a problem in GMS, then they really need to rework the spawn logic. How about they keep the current spawn timer (every like 5ish minutes?) but make it so it resets every time a mob is killed?

This would mean that, as long as one character in the map is attacking, their Kanna/HS/BT/leechers are all safe from anti-AFK mobs.
    I know some people would be happy about that, but some would argue that this negates the main purpose of anti-AFK mobs in GMS.
  • LinksMissingLinksMissing
    Reactions: 735
    edited February 2018
    Even on maps that are designed to not have a "safe spot" there are chairs and mounts and all sorts of ways that Maplers can avoid being hit. Still, these anti-afk mobs are annoying and pointless. EXP is pretty easy to come by these days, and who cares if someone leeches?
  • ManiOhManiOh
    Reactions: 2,155
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
  • ArgentArgent
    Reactions: 3,090
    edited February 2018
    For the sake of all Demon Avengers, I'd like them removed. No need to punish the class any more than it already has been.
  • uzumakialiuzumakiali
    Reactions: 640
    edited February 2018
    Argent wrote: »
    For the sake of all Demon Avengers, I'd like them removed. No need to punish the class any more than it already has been.

PLEASE NEXON HELP DAs either remove this mobs or just change the demon frenzy crazy hp drainer cant believe the class with highest hp has about 2k hp when is farming at lvl 210+ areas while dealing 25m dmg per sec i mean when you are lvl 20 your hp is more than an Da in full buff mode with demon frenzy. in last 3 days i have been killed by this mobs about 10 times and i have to spend 18m per day to just buy buff freezer etc to comeback to the map and dont lose my 2X buff i cant even farm for 60min per day now lol and when i thought i will return to maple and lvl up faster i get hit with this mobs they wont even get hit by the exceed execution because it only hits 2mob :) so yeah keep destroying Da players instead of finding a way to stop hackers 10/10 would go back to die farming with 2k hp again and im not sure but does nexon even see these posts? can we even expect them to do something about this?
  • SparkleeSparklee
    Reactions: 2,630
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    I like how people are so confused by the ANTI AFK MOBS... (THE CLUE IS IN THE NAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!)
    They are not there to stop hackers/botters... But are designed to stop players from claiming maps as theirs.

Now I like how these mobs work. But I will ask for some minor adjustments in not having these mobs appear on maps you've just arrived on for at least 30 seconds to one minute. Just to give players who suffer with lag issues a chance for the lag to settle, so they can then go about attacking mobs.

So please keep them.
  • ManiOhManiOh
    Reactions: 2,155
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Sparklee wrote: »
    I like how people are so confused by the ANTI AFK MOBS... (THE CLUE IS IN THE NAMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!)
    They are not there to stop hackers/botters... But are designed to stop players from claiming maps as theirs.

Now I like how these mobs work. But I will ask for some minor adjustments in not having these mobs appear on maps you've just arrived on for at least 30 seconds to one minute. Just to give players who suffer with lag issues a chance for the lag to settle, so they can then go about attacking mobs.

So please keep them.

thats the worst part that its "anti afk mob" but dont stop you from afk
    its more like "KILL THE ( lagy/low hp-def class/news popup screen block .....) MOB"

they can eazy code this
    if someone dont show activity in 1min +- will be kicked to nearst town
    and it will actuly work for big chairs + might kick hackers that stand in same spot(at least make more problems to them aswell )
    but eyy its nexon
    i dont mind if they want ruin even more and just put mobs that makes no sense
    please add more of them in same time :)
  • SwordofShieldsSwordofShields
    Reactions: 745
    edited February 2018
    Honestly, these anti-afk mobs are why I completely stopped caring about the game. I'm 216, and I don't plan on getting any farther than that. Now as for why...

My main class for 6 years now has been Paladin. Historically, their damage has ranged from bad to ok on bosses to terrible, then back to average. However, I was able to enjoy grinding even though they were really ineffective mobbers. I laughed about afking in pre-nerf Warrior Grounds in Perion for 10 minutes right in the middle of the mobs, and still being alive when I came back. I could sit there for hours and slowly kill with my awful damage and range in spite of the low kill count because anyone who jumped in and tried to KS me would get wiped. I loved mobbing, and even though I was inefficient I liked soloing with not even a Kanna present to kishin. Fast forward to when these special mobs were introduced. If I log in and get a huge lag spike while I happen to be in a training map, which lets face it has been the normal "quality" Nexon-owned maple experience for many years now, these stupid mobs kill my previously invincible class. Their existence has ruined everything I liked about grinding, I don't even log in anymore except for events. I don't have any reason to hit 220 because the boss content requires you to take out a mortgage loan in order to get the range to do it. If the monsters are here to stay, they can keep their potion lock and the 10% hp damage, but for the love of all that is holy at least make these special mobs subject to the same damage reduction skills other mobs and even bosses are subject to. It's absolutely stupid that these mobs ignore all blocking and damage reduction skills, it ruins the point of playing certain classes. Between the removal of FM and being unable to comfortably grind like I used to, I'm seriously considering blowing up all my stuff with normal EEs and not coming back.
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited February 2018
    If KMS still has this then there is no point further discussing it since the GMS team will not change it even if it mostly applies to KMS. I just read the patch notes and they're removing the find function. This will tell you a lot about what stays in the game and the lack of perspective for whoever is managing this game.
  • MehiaMehia
    Reactions: 605
    edited March 2018
    The worst part is when I dc in the middle of training in a map with anti-afk mobs. When I relog, those little buggers hone in straight for me, but I can't move right away because the stupid news window pops up and decides to lag my computer for like a full minute.

I agree. I can't tell you the amount of times I died closing the popups you get once you log in and not being able to heal as soon as the popups closed. They should remove the buff that prevents the use of potion when hit by the anti-afk monsters.
  • iMrChiefyiMrChiefy
    Reactions: 650
    edited June 2020
    bumping this, i died 4 times yesterday to these bastards and im pissed, i cant even stop and talk to my guild mates while doing dailies and its bull****, get rid of them 100% if you have problems with afkers make them dc after a certain amount of time, i know if i afk for more than 5 minutes im automatically logged out so it must already be a thing.
    dont **** ruin the game trying to combat a small percentage of jerks.
    Luminous0014
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited June 2020
    Please don't necro 2-year-old threads
This discussion has been closed.