[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

For those of you who buy NX - Why?

YoongiYoongi
Reactions: 1,735
edited May 2018 in General Chat
This is a curiosity more than anything, mostly after finding that it costs around $900 USD for the MVP Diamond.
...Why?
What about Maplestory makes you want to spend such insane amounts of money on the game? And not like, help feed the poor and homeless?? What do you spend so much NX on? Is it a love for the game itself or is it for the fame and people recognizing your name?
I've had many games I've loved over the years but I can never imagine spending such an insane fortune on pixels, so I'm curious to the motivation other people have to spend so much money on items that aren't tangible/offer no quality of life. I can understand $10 or so here and there, I've bought a tiny bit of NX to buy some pets, but that's about it, since I can see a value in a pet in-game.

But what's the reason for you guys? I'm genuinely curious and want to know people's reasons, since I'm feeling a bit bitter that I don't even make $900 a month at my job and have bills to pay so I'm really salty rn. Also...how does everyone have the time to make so much money working and play so often on top of it? What are your secrets?
Meruappu

Comments

• ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited May 2018
    i mean i guess they dont have much else to do outside the game. also they probably spent 900 over a long period of time so it probably end up being like maybe $100 a month which isnt too much to put into a hobby. whatever, they help keep the game running.
  • PigabaPigaba
    Reactions: 1,105
    edited May 2018
    Yoongi wrote: »
    This is a curiosity more than anything, mostly after finding that it costs around $900 USD for the MVP Diamond.
    ...Why?
    What about Maplestory makes you want to spend such insane amounts of money on the game? And not like, help feed the poor and homeless?? What do you spend so much NX on? Is it a love for the game itself or is it for the fame and people recognizing your name?
    I've had many games I've loved over the years but I can never imagine spending such an insane fortune on pixels, so I'm curious to the motivation other people have to spend so much money on items that aren't tangible/offer no quality of life. I can understand $10 or so here and there, I've bought a tiny bit of NX to buy some pets, but that's about it, since I can see a value in a pet in-game.

But what's the reason for you guys? I'm genuinely curious and want to know people's reasons, since I'm feeling a bit bitter that I don't even make $900 a month at my job and have bills to pay so I'm really salty rn. Also...how does everyone have the time to make so much money working and play so often on top of it? What are your secrets?

Most people don't spend that much money on this game at once. They usually spend money over a very long period of time, so they're only using a tiny portion of their earning on this game. It's just a spending money on your hobby. People buy a couple royal boxes to get good looking cash items to make their characters look good. Some buy couple of cubes to enhance their weapons. There are some hardcore poor souls who sold their humanity to demons known as Nexon, and are spending over thousands of dollars in a couple week to cube their gears to power up even further.
  • KirbKirb
    Reactions: 500
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2018
    People can spend money on whatever makes them happy. It's not hurting anyone so who are you to judge?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2018
    Why do people spend money to watch movies, opera, basketball, or whatever else suits their fancy?
    Why do people spend money to enter a museum or amusement park?
    Why do people spend thousands of dollars on sightseeing trips abroad?
    Many forms of entertainment leave you with nothing tangible. Just memories and maybe photos. So?
    If someone's idea of fun worth paying for is perfecting a virtual item or costume in an online game, let them enjoy it. As long as it doesn't come at the cost of essentials (food, rent, tuition, etc), I see nothing wrong with it.
    KrimlockSimz
  • AcuteMapleSicknessAcuteMapleSickness
    Reactions: 300
    edited June 2018
    Goals and Challenges. People play this game with different goals or take on certain challenges. To achieve that 'faster', they would do everything.
  • TerrorStreakTerrorStreak
    Reactions: 2,320
    edited June 2018
    Yoongi wrote: »
    ...Why?

Maplestory started for me as a good game to play with my young daughter, but then i got competitive with other players and the only way to get competitive for the end game is to spend some big bucks. so i was left with a decision don't compete and not spend, and just play the game with my daughter and progress slow as a snail or compete and spend... i chose the latter lol. I forgot some people the smart ones merch and get end game that way but if you think about how many hours merching they do, they may as well spend the time working eXtra hours at a real job and using that extra cash here lol, as making 20 bucks merching would take days perhaps vs a single hour or 2 at a real job gets you the same coin... time=money. unless you are one of those unscrupulous hackers. some countries are fighting a lot of these "f2p" game policies cause in reality they are not free to play, you need to pay to get the entire experience.
  • offeringsdoofferingsdo
    Reactions: 420
    I don't know I just really want perm NXs they give out during the big sales. I just wish they would listen to us more about what to put in CS updates. There's no reason why some CS updates are bad and others good. All of them should be good and plentiful.