[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Graphic elements missing after playing for a while

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited June 2017 in Bug Reporting
Bug type: Stability

Brief bug summary: After running for some time, MapleStory starts developing graphic glitches in the form of invisible graphic elements.

More details:
After MapleStory has been running for a while (time is shorter if active, and longer if idling), various graphic elements show up as transparent/invisible when they need to be displayed. This includes map background elements, mob animation frames, dialog boxes, UI windows (such as inventory, system options, or world map), etc.
The only solution is to restart the client.

MapleStory's RAM usage also grows while it's running, even if idling. This leads me to believe there is a memory leak somewhere that is affecting the program's ability to load new sprites.

Steps to reproduce: Run MapleStory.exe for a few hours.
The length of time required depends on level of activity in-game and on computer hardware and operating system: happens much faster on my Windows 7 machine with 4GB RAM than it does on Windows 10 with 16GB RAM, but it happens to both eventually.

Comments

• Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited June 2017
    All information same as above.

Here are screenshots for the bug being reported which was reproduced on a Windows 10, 64-bit, 16 GB RAM machine:
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    Another example posted by someone on the Discord:

aedabf7f59.png
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    It's been happening to me a lot more frequently as well. For example, the world map will be invisible aside from the right search bar field (happened today). Background sprites will go missing (also happened again today, rip drop coupon). And it's followed by intense lag/freezing whenever entering/loading a new map.
    5/21
    VfbpraA.jpg

5/25
    HyzhRT6.jpg

One of my guildies also experienced it recently.
  • SkyTheDestroyerSkyTheDestroyer
    Reactions: 1,525
    edited June 2017
    I've also seen this occurring more frequently recently, more especially during/after bossing.

I decided to drop out of full-on bossing for a bit, and didn't have it happen. Then I started bossing again. Voila, it's happening again. It's likely not a Root Abyss, Hilla, or Magnus issue, as I still do those daily and haven't seen an issue.
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    edited June 2017
    I've also seen this occurring more frequently recently, more especially during/after bossing.

I decided to drop out of full-on bossing for a bit, and didn't have it happen. Then I started bossing again. Voila, it's happening again. It's likely not a Root Abyss, Hilla, or Magnus issue, as I still do those daily and haven't seen an issue.

It's not the content itself. It's most likely the game client failing to close unused information which eventually clogs up and crashes the client. That's my take on it at least.

If it was a specific content it would be very noticeable and most likely would've had a widespread complaint. A good example are Mechanical Hearts Event with the Wonderoids. But it could be a possibility so for now anything is on the table.
    SkyTheDestroyer
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017

Bossing might hasten it, but this happens to me on computers that I don't boss on at all.
    SkyTheDestroyer
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    More examples from the Discord
    unknown.png
    unknown.png
    wXjvHFv.png
    unknown.png
    sEj7TeB.png
    ENVPAXU.png
  • choozchooz
    Reactions: 1,815
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    It also leads to an inevitable crash, which might be in the middle of something you don't want to crash during.
  • PitrackPitrack
    Reactions: 200
    edited July 2018
    Has there been a fix to this issue? Both of my computers are now crashing due to this glitch.
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    edited August 2018
    Still an issue after v.197 – Ark: Monad.

Date and time of the incident: August 2nd, 2018 @ 11:30 PM EDT.

Cropped Screenshots
    QKM50B8.png

rQwWb5C.png
  • MiraMira
    Reactions: 4,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    Yeah it just seems to be something attributed to being logged on for an extended period of time. I can be sitting in a town for a few hours and get the glitch, and I can also get it from doing a few bosses. I can't pinpoint it to anything specific, and it happens on all of the chars I play on. =(
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited August 2018
    I believe the the cause of this is a memory leak, http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/21072/maple-story-now-have-frequent-memory-leak, since MapleStory cannot load graphic correctly if it has no memory.
  • NibboNibbo
    Reactions: 1,330
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    Uhh there's something up with Lucid.. I entered the normal boss with my party and the cutscene appeared and this happened:
    e036b2b357e234a77caba5cef031df1d.jpg

After I spawned in the boss map I saw a purple background colour (It's always pink) and then I disconnected after 2 seconds.. I'm not too sure what happened
  • EtzuEtzu
    Reactions: 305
    edited August 2018
    Nibbo wrote: »
    Uhh there's something up with Lucid.. I entered the normal boss with my party and the cutscene appeared and this happened:
    e036b2b357e234a77caba5cef031df1d.jpg

After I spawned in the boss map I saw a purple background colour (It's always pink) and then I disconnected after 2 seconds.. I'm not too sure what happened

Thank god you took a screenshot it. I keep forgetting too yea since the patch this stuff keeps happening to me too. Or i only see eyes from characters from other players or a boss disappears i entered chaos horntail randomly and i only had a few indications of what was going on thank god its a easy 1 so you can kill it without seeing him. A very annoying bug considering the game is build around bossing and killing monsters. Or interacting with people which freaked me out seeing only there eyes
  • shadowegoshadowego
    Reactions: 100
    The Legion Mem Leak ~

Reproducible 100% of the time on multiple systems of mine with different hardware configurations; your mileage/crash time will vary based on your legion level, system hardware, and so on.

For reference, my main account/system is 5500+ legion and has 32 gigs of ram, and this crashes consistently within 10 minutes.

1) Fresh Login
    2) Open Legion Window
    3) Close Legion Window - the leak, or problem, has been triggered
    4) Go train or boss a bit
    5) Within 5 ~ 10 minutes, graphical elements begin to disappear
    6) Client will eventually crash

This is hard to exactly pinpoint as I have no idea how memory is handled in the client, but a general observation is my accounts with higher legion tend to trigger graphical problems faster than my accounts that have lower legion. Once graphics start going missing, a crash is quickly inevitable (especially if you're going to a major boss like Lucid).

I have all attack transparencies at 100%.

Actually starting the raid, and going in (to get your legion coins), seems to speed the problems up, but it can still be triggered without actually starting the raid. If you do start the raid, leave immediately, don't bother attacking anything.

Once you've triggered the legion leak, going to a place with a lot of other players using skills, transparent or not, will quickly crash your client. I BELIEVE this could happen even if you're idle in a town, but I notice it a lot more in the field / at bosses / grinding / in party play.

This problem has persisted even all the way back to the Legion UI being stuck when you come out of the legion raid. To me, it seems like Nexon "fixed" the UI problem, but didn't actually fix the underlying memory issue.

When the crash happens, task manager says maplestory.exe is using around 2.5 gigs of ram... which, depending on 32-bit memory limits (who knows where in the client code), I'd imagine is helping trigger a crash.

Lastly, duration of being logged on before triggering this is irrelevant. I've done this consistently with a fresh reboot/login and crashed within 10 minutes, versus being logged in for days and finally crashing after triggering this. The only thing that is consistent between these two was opening the Legion UI and closing it.

If I never open the Legion UI, I can train and boss for days with no problems -- well, aside from whatever other random/instant crashes that are out there, which don't seem to be related to this specific issue.

Hope this helps, I know I sure would like to get legion coins again without having to restart my client!

Thanks!
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    shadowego wrote: »
    The Legion Mem Leak ~

Reproducible 100% of the time on multiple systems of mine with different hardware configurations; your mileage/crash time will vary based on your legion level, system hardware, and so on.

For reference, my main account/system is 5500+ legion and has 32 gigs of ram, and this crashes consistently within 10 minutes.

1) Fresh Login
    2) Open Legion Window

This is hard to exactly pinpoint as I have no idea how memory is handled in the client, but a general observation is my accounts with higher legion tend to trigger graphical problems faster than my accounts that have lower legion. Once graphics start going missing, a crash is quickly inevitable (especially if you're going to a major boss like Lucid).

Actually starting the raid, and going in (to get your legion coins), seems to speed the problems up, but it can still be triggered without actually starting the raid. If you do start the raid, leave immediately, don't bother attacking anything.

Once you've triggered the legion leak, going to a place with a lot of other players using skills, transparent or not, will quickly crash your client. I BELIEVE this could happen even if you're idle in a town, but I notice it a lot more in the field / at bosses / grinding / in party play.

This problem has persisted even all the way back to the Legion UI being stuck when you come out of the legion raid. To me, it seems like Nexon "fixed" the UI problem, but didn't actually fix the underlying memory issue.

When the crash happens, task manager says maplestory.exe is using around 2.5 gigs of ram... which, depending on 32-bit memory limits (who knows where in the client code), I'd imagine is helping trigger a crash.

Lastly, duration of being logged on before triggering this is irrelevant. I've done this consistently with a fresh reboot/login and crashed within 10 minutes, versus being logged in for days and finally crashing after triggering this. The only thing that is consistent between these two was opening the Legion UI and closing it.

If I never open the Legion UI, I can train and boss for days with no problems -- well, aside from whatever other random/instant crashes that are out there, which don't seem to be related to this specific issue.

Hope this helps, I know I sure would like to get legion coins again without having to restart my client!

Thanks!

This is an interesting theory.
    Doesn't entirely match my personal experience (I can usually claim Legion coins with no subsequent ill effects), and also doesn't explain why the memory leaks got so much worse after the Monad patch.
    However, I'm curious to hear from other people whether restarting the client after visiting Legion UI prevents memory leaks for them.
  • PlutiaPlutia
    Reactions: 730
    edited August 2018
    AKradian wrote: »
    shadowego wrote: »
    The Legion Mem Leak ~

1) Fresh Login
    2) Open Legion Window

Thanks!

This is an interesting theory.
    Doesn't entirely match my personal experience (I can usually claim Legion coins with no subsequent ill effects), and also doesn't explain why the memory leaks got so much worse after the Monad patch.
    However, I'm curious to hear from other people whether restarting the client after visiting Legion UI prevents memory leaks for them.

I do not use legion window *at all* because i only play on one level 200+ char, and i still get memleaks.
  • RoognokRoognok
    Reactions: 640
    edited November 2019
    Sadly guys, this has nothing to do with the game or the client themselves. It has everything to do with you Video Card in your computer. It's running out of usable RAM. When it gets full, it can no longer run the application so Maple crashes. When you restart your computer, the memory is wiped fresh to a clean slate and thus can run maple efficiently, until the RAM fills again. That's why it happens so much faster/sooner/more often on your Windows 7 4GB machine than it does on your Windows 10 16 GB machine. You can download and use various tools like System Mechanic that can defrag your RAM to help keep the issue at bay, but ultimately, if your machine doesn't randomly dump RAM memory while running, you'll always crash from this eventually.
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited November 2019
    Roognok wrote: »
    Sadly guys, this has nothing to do with the game or the client themselves. It has everything to do with you Video Card in your computer. It's running out of usable RAM. When it gets full, it can no longer run the application so Maple crashes. When you restart your computer, the memory is wiped fresh to a clean slate and thus can run maple efficiently, until the RAM fills again. That's why it happens so much faster/sooner/more often on your Windows 7 4GB machine than it does on your Windows 10 16 GB machine. You can download and use various tools like System Mechanic that can defrag your RAM to help keep the issue at bay, but ultimately, if your machine doesn't randomly dump RAM memory while running, you'll always crash from this eventually.

Irrelevant, Maplestory definition of a memory leak is when it exceed 3GB memory usage instead of the usual 1.2GB-1.5GB.
    Maplestory data is stored on the main RAM attached to the motherboard, not the video card RAM. It will still show graphical glitch and crash even with GBs of free RAM due to a somewhat hard limit on how much RAM is assigned to a single program on window.
    Memory leak only warrant a new thread when 3GB memory usage occurs within an hour many times in a row such that it is no longer a coincidence, and majority of the time it is due to bad coding which is a bug that is valid to be reported.
    Also please check date of the last post.