[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Censorship Suggestion.... Round 3 Extended!

Comments

• HerbazyliuszHerbazyliusz
    Reactions: 550
    edited July 2018
    Can't you guys just improve your whole censorship system? Make it so only 'ass' gets censored, but 'glass' stays the same. Can't you just check if word 'ass' is preceded or followed by other letters or characters, other than space/blank/no character? If someone wants to use bad words, they will do it anyway, there's no point in trying to censor it all and at all cost. If 'ass' gets censored, smart folks will start to use a*s*s, or a.s.s or a~s~s, or whatever.
  • BfortbattleBfortbattle
    Reactions: 1,325
    edited July 2018
    The n-word is censored in too many ways

example:
    i was finding grapes instead of bananas

not the greatest example but this happens a lot in english and even more in dutch.

• EnokumoEnokumo
    Reactions: 1,610
    edited July 2018
    The n-word is censored in too many ways

example:
    i was finding grapes instead of bananas

not the greatest example but this happens a lot in english and even more in dutch.

mini game / minigame, really annoying this cannot be typed out. I see this might be not changed because it's too clear but idk, I would still see an exception for this case.
    Can't you guys just improve your whole censorship system? Make it so only 'ass' gets censored, but 'glass' stays the same.
    Funny enough, ass is not censored. For whatever reason. (unless it has been censored before)
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2018
    Ass is only censored when creating character names.
  • BfortbattleBfortbattle
    Reactions: 1,325
    edited July 2018
    Isn't it better to make a "remove censorship" option in game like League of Legends has for example, then you can let people choose to have censorship applied to their text or not. Of course censorship would be ON by default.

words that make chatting really hard in terms of "n-word"
    - nggr
    - nigr
    - niga
    - nigg

Most of the time these words are found split apart in normal civilized sentences.

aside from these theres also a pretty dumb one regarding the n-word being "cotton picker" don't really know what to think of that because if you were to say "Go pick cotton" it's not censored.
    YoongiKittyIsAUSherri
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    Reactions: 2,160
    edited August 2018
    Okay so for some reason the phrase "the willpower" is censored. It's not even a part of the phrase that's problematic, it's the whole thing.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    ana1

can a 10% scroll
    ---
    r4pe

other 4 people

• EnokumoEnokumo
    edited August 2018
    YRsLcuI7.png

Might also remove the filter for mofo.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    Not really censor but sorta is.

Using "gamei" anywhere in a sentence causes the message to not go through at all.

game is

Unsure if it should be reported as a bug rather than censor @akradian

----
    apara

a paradox
    a parallel
    a parasite
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    pisse
    pLsse

pls sell me that thing
  • TamireliaTamirelia
    Reactions: 1,335
    edited August 2018
    Adding onto what SadVirgin said earlier about messages not going through, MMOS, MMS, MMD, and iGAME also don't go through in all chat.

Also, I'm not sure why "helpdesk" is censored.
  • YoongiYoongi
    Reactions: 1,735
    edited August 2018
    Am I the only one that thinks the censorship in the game is out of hand?
    I can understand racist words or terms spambots use, but anything else, really? Why can't I curse or say whatever I want to? Anyone who is too young to hear such words shouldn't be playing online games anyway and their parents should be watching them. I mean, really.
    I've had the stupidest things censored and it blows my mind sometimes.
    ZerpShadEightKuronekonovaxBeastHeroCutieMikuSherri
  • ZerpZerp
    Reactions: 390
    edited August 2018
    Yoongi wrote: »

Not just in game, I had some threads deleted in forums for no damn reason. I am wondering if I used some word in those too. Like, yesterday I wrote a suggestion asking to implement a sort of ceiling in pet boxes ( to exchange some number of fresh temporary pets for 1 permanent) and it got deleted. No explanation, or anything.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    Isn't it better to make a "remove censorship" option in game like League of Legends has for example, then you can let people choose to have censorship applied to their text or not. Of course censorship would be ON by default.

This is the best solution. Or if you don't want to do this, can we just open up the file that censors words for user editing?
    Let people (or parents) create their own list of things to censor. This is already possible if you hack the .wz file (or it used to be possible), but as editing those files is against ToS, it's not a valid option.
    CutieMiku
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    ratecom

pirate common skill
  • EnokumoEnokumo
    edited September 2018
    Fuhreak wrote: »

This is the best solution. Or if you don't want to do this, can we just open up the file that censors words for user editing?
    Let people (or parents) create their own list of things to censor. This is already possible if you hack the .wz file (or it used to be possible), but as editing those files is against ToS, it's not a valid option.

or just give a toggable filter that can be turned on and off. It's the responsibility of the parents to watch for that, not Nexon's.
    h0lyicdragon
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    castrate

got my cat castrated

It's not even a sexual word and synonyms like "neuter" and "sterilize" aren't censored.
    h0lyicdragon
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited September 2018
    Yoongi wrote: »
    I can understand racist words or terms spambots use, but anything else, really? Why can't I curse or say whatever I want to? Anyone who is too young to hear such words shouldn't be playing online games anyway and their parents should be watching them. I mean, really.
    I've had the stupidest things censored and it blows my mind sometimes.

some bright users thought it was a good idea to 'fix' the filter before we could begin to implement a toggle (actually nexon is just lazy but w/e). Meanwhile this thread is dying because tinkering with all possible permutations turned out to be a tiresome task. But hey 'its for the greater good' right? 2 pages in 9 months, im sure we'll make it there some day........any day now.......
  • ElaieElaie
    Reactions: 585
    edited September 2018
    Why not just limit the censor only to block out whole words without spaces being considered part of the word, and leave all of the others alone so we won't have this issue to begin with? Everyone already gets swears passed through by separating the word into pieces with brackets to avoid the filter. The only ones who have issues are average players just trying to have normal conversation.

The current system is obviously deeply flawed, making it needlessly complex to try and fix. Everyone is in this game are sick of the filter blocking out many things they're trying to say.
    CutieMiku
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    verga

whoever gave me that
    never gamble