[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.234 Destiny: Homecoming Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

We all want a merge

Comments

  • XiangTuXiangTu
    Reactions: 1,225
    Posts: 59
    Member
    edited September 2018
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Been awhile since I last posted in this thread. Not a day goes by where this doesn't go reported though. Apologies that this post isn't confirmation that worlds will be merging, but I did want to provide encouragement that we're reading all the new posts made here.

    This is actually really sad.. so despite all this is it just not a priority right now? If it's reported daily and they know of this thread (one of the most popular threads on the forum) it makes me think they disagree that this is a problem considering their inaction.. This is probably the biggest problem in the game right now for the community as a whole, it's upsetting we've spent the better part of a year waiting for a new attempt at a solution and all we know is they are just aware players are complaining :(
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 6,920
    Posts: 997
    Member
    edited September 2018
    XiangTu wrote: »
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Been awhile since I last posted in this thread. Not a day goes by where this doesn't go reported though. Apologies that this post isn't confirmation that worlds will be merging, but I did want to provide encouragement that we're reading all the new posts made here.

    This is actually really sad.. so despite all this is it just not a priority right now? If it's reported daily and they know of this thread (one of the most popular threads on the forum) it makes me think they disagree that this is a problem considering their inaction.. This is probably the biggest problem in the game right now for the community as a whole, it's upsetting we've spent the better part of a year waiting for a new attempt at a solution and all we know is they are just aware players are complaining :(

    Arwoo is also waiting for answers from the devs regarding Gollux Shop restocks which is something also just as important.
  • anubis421anubis421
    Reactions: 710
    Posts: 15
    Member
    edited September 2018
    XiangTu wrote: »
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Been awhile since I last posted in this thread. Not a day goes by where this doesn't go reported though. Apologies that this post isn't confirmation that worlds will be merging, but I did want to provide encouragement that we're reading all the new posts made here.

    This is actually really sad.. so despite all this is it just not a priority right now? If it's reported daily and they know of this thread (one of the most popular threads on the forum) it makes me think they disagree that this is a problem considering their inaction.. This is probably the biggest problem in the game right now for the community as a whole, it's upsetting we've spent the better part of a year waiting for a new attempt at a solution and all we know is they are just aware players are complaining :(

    Better part of a year? true but I've been waiting for a merge/ally for 3-4 years now... but guess what? they really just don't care... :(
  • XiangTuXiangTu
    Reactions: 1,225
    Posts: 59
    Member
    edited September 2018
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    XiangTu wrote: »
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Been awhile since I last posted in this thread. Not a day goes by where this doesn't go reported though. Apologies that this post isn't confirmation that worlds will be merging, but I did want to provide encouragement that we're reading all the new posts made here.

    This is actually really sad.. so despite all this is it just not a priority right now? If it's reported daily and they know of this thread (one of the most popular threads on the forum) it makes me think they disagree that this is a problem considering their inaction.. This is probably the biggest problem in the game right now for the community as a whole, it's upsetting we've spent the better part of a year waiting for a new attempt at a solution and all we know is they are just aware players are complaining :(

    Arwoo is also waiting for answers from the devs regarding Gollux Shop restocks which is something also just as important.

    Maybe it's regarded as the highest priority problem in reboot, this problem is mitigated in nonreboot servers by the trading aspect of the game. That would be a cool change too, but noone is going to quit the game over the gollux store situation, whereas the population problem I personally know has caused some people to quit.
    anubis421 wrote: »
    XiangTu wrote: »
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Been awhile since I last posted in this thread. Not a day goes by where this doesn't go reported though. Apologies that this post isn't confirmation that worlds will be merging, but I did want to provide encouragement that we're reading all the new posts made here.

    Better part of a year? true but I've been waiting for a merge/ally for 3-4 years now... but guess what? they really just don't care... :(

    I mean for a new attempt at a solution* they tried in November 2017 and failed miserably, but it was still an attempt lol. But yes the problem itself has existed for years now.
  • AcgnoliaAcgnolia
    Reactions: 1,280
    Posts: 153
    Member
    edited September 2018
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    As a player who plays daily (don't tell me I have an addiction,) I've already made a several points of being unified in an alliance or merging servers beside the social aspects. Try living in a town without stores or very little residents. You won't have access to goods or locals to socialize with. Regardless of playstyle or money invested in the game, a server cannot thrive with few players. I've seen whales selling everything on the black market since their server is dead and there they are not going to rebuild their empire in another server. We've been hoping Nexon will re-open world transfer so players can move to their desired worlds without starting all over. However, leaving your old server will slowly desert it and merging or going with an alliance.

    If a whale were to return to game after a world leap (maybe playing Maple during the break,) and they live in a quiet server, there is a possibility people might had moved and the returning player would quit due to no one to hang out with and rebuilding in Bera is huge task. If one were to return from hiatus and everything were merged or in allied, the chances of quitting since your server left will be reduced.

    And Instinct, I hope you are just neutral on the topic of merge/alliance and not detesting the idea of unifying. I live in a quiet server and I've been hoping to move to a more crowded server. The only problem is I cannot take everything I have with me since I cannot fit my alliance characters or clutter into a single character roster. If moving companies were know for breaking things, people would be reluctant to move since they wouldn't want to lose their valuables.

    I understand my opinion is an unpopular one here, but I think it is worth sharing anyway. A merge or alliance would keep whales from quitting the game sure, you are right, but is someone who has invested $1000's of dollars on a video game moving on in life really a bad thing? Whether you want to call your daily activity addiction or not, can a reasonable person actually say spending the thousands of dollars it costs to be competitive in maplestory wouldn't be bringing their 'habitual behaviour' extremely too far? Is spending hours a day on a game viable for most people wanting to better themselves? This sort of spending on a video game is either a colossal waste of money if you are not rich or is you passively wasting the best years of your life if you are. Either way a very big waste of your time here on earth. So thinking in the best interest of everybody, it is best we do not have a merge, and you are all further pressured to move on with your lives. Giving maplestory a merge would be like not putting down your dog who can't stand up anymore.The game is surviving on a small demographic of the players who spend enough time and money on the game to make significant business or philanthropic moves. Trying to make maplestory work in your 20's is you procrastinating in life. I'm sorry though, I won't tell you anymore scary truths to delude your fantasies.

    I haven't been to this thread in a while, and I come back to this strange argument. It can be summarized as: this game is bad (maybe all games in general according to you?), and so you should stop playing, and because you will stop playing, you don't need a merge. You can legit say this for anything and everything, might as well close down the entire suggestion section of the forum.

  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,955
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited September 2018
    HIs argument, as I interpret it is that a merge isn't really needed, because the handful of people that are "keeping the game afloat" continue to spend the amount of money they do, to keep doing so. Which means, they're content. He's saying, the game is still alive without a merge. Taking away all the psychology behind his comments, this is what is left behind. And he's saying, if the whales that do quit after a merge quit, is it a bad thing theyre moving on? which leads to the question, would the game still be afloat if the people spending the most leave?


    As for your response, not really, because the majority of suggestions that nexon gets are for perm nx, royal hair and faces, and some changes for convenience in game play. The most game changing ones have only been 2, as far as I see it, the Kishin removal suggestion and this one to merge all worlds. Cant compare the calibers of the 2 game changing suggestions to those large majority of whats in the suggestion section.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,865
    Posts: 6,272
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    What Instinct9001 is saying is the same thing several others in this thread have said: If there's no merge, more and more people will quit, and the game will die.
    Only difference is, Instinct9001 seems to think that is a good thing.
  • Instinct9001Instinct9001
    Reactions: 545
    Posts: 21
    Member
    edited September 2018
    Acgnolia wrote: »
    Daxterbeer wrote: »

    I understand my opinion is an unpopular one here, but I think it is worth sharing anyway. A merge or alliance would keep whales from quitting the game sure, you are right, but is someone who has invested $1000's of dollars on a video game moving on in life really a bad thing? Whether you want to call your daily activity addiction or not, can a reasonable person actually say spending the thousands of dollars it costs to be competitive in maplestory wouldn't be bringing their 'habitual behaviour' extremely too far? Is spending hours a day on a game viable for most people wanting to better themselves? This sort of spending on a video game is either a colossal waste of money if you are not rich or is you passively wasting the best years of your life if you are. Either way a very big waste of your time here on earth. So thinking in the best interest of everybody, it is best we do not have a merge, and you are all further pressured to move on with your lives. Giving maplestory a merge would be like not putting down your dog who can't stand up anymore.The game is surviving on a small demographic of the players who spend enough time and money on the game to make significant business or philanthropic moves. Trying to make maplestory work in your 20's is you procrastinating in life. I'm sorry though, I won't tell you anymore scary truths to delude your fantasies.

    I haven't been to this thread in a while, and I come back to this strange argument. It can be summarized as: this game is bad (maybe all games in general according to you?), and so you should stop playing, and because you will stop playing, you don't need a merge. You can legit say this for anything and everything, might as well close down the entire suggestion section of the forum.
    Your summary of my argument is incorrect. Maplestory is not a 'bad' game and that isn't my rationale for not having a merge, please reference my other comment quoted below - essentially saying, "Playing this game casually is great", so no, this game itself is not bad, its merely that there is a substantial amount of the players who happened to be addicted to this game, to the point where it is financially interfering with other aspects of their life, and on top of that spend their day playing this game. There is a difference between 'winding down' and relaxing on a video game and spending a piece of your pay cheque every month and/or spending hours of every day invested into a game with little real life returns to offer. Also a difference between spending all day gaming as a teenager vs as an adult. It is the people investing most of their time or money into this game that need to move on. And again, as stated below, I believe maplestory can be sustained as a casual game without the alliance while simultaneously deterring whales from wasting more of their money or days on a video game. Casual playing over video game addiction is what i'm advocating for, that would have been a good summary and you could have probably put a sarcastic twist on that too.

    Lol and it is a strange argument because this forum is for maplers and I am pressing some of these maplers to critically think about how much they're investing into this game. Its not that videogames are bad, i don't believe that, its that somehow maplestory has successfully compelled people to spend $1000's of dollars on MANY different aspects of the game. And anecdotally, I know way too many 20+ year olds spending all day on this game. These consequences of the games survival has affected so many of the players that in my opinion are so severe the act of merging servers or creating alliances in order to delay the decline of this games population would only further perpetuate these consequences (being substantial money spent and time spent), while inaction on this issue would still allow the game to be played casually

    And that is just a hypothetical best-case scenario for my personal opinion. The reality is, Nexon is still making lots of money from the whales without the alliance. So whatever their rationale is for this decision to me is irrelevant. I just happen to believe it was a good idea because of what I previously wrote.
    .

    Implying you know the habits of everyone that plays the game, outside of the game. Keep these types of comments to yourself. Times have changed and behavioral patterns change. People are more social outside of the game that they were before.

    wasn't directed towards casual players, or everyone that plays. ~ a lot of people play casually. That is great. I want to reiterate there is a big handful of people who spend thousands of dollars and excessive hours everyday on this game. It is an odd phenomena that even the world health organization has acknowledged as a disorder. http://www.who.int/features/qa/gaming-disorder/en/
    Times and behaviour have changed, we know most maple players are the same players from 10ish years ago. meaning most players aren't kids anymore. We're adults, some of which are investing way too much of their life and funds into make-believe fantasy characters. Sorry to chalk up some of your lives to that. My opinion on this matter is that a merge or alliance is not necessary because this game can still be sustained as a casual game. It can also be sustained as a $5,000USD+ 'investment' if young adults are still wrongly prioritizing gaming over other aspects of life because their online buddies are enabling them. If this wake up call makes one person pursue something more important in life than a video game then It was a good idea. Either way other casual players should be aware of how much money can be spent on this game (There are frenzy totems on illegitimate black markets going for >$1,500, otherwise your spawn rates suck for post lvl 200 training- meaning you will train based on frenzy totem owners schedules who can offer you a service for a fee).

    **P.s you saying 'people are more social outside of the game than they were before' is kind of implying you know the habits of everyone that plays the game...

  • AcgnoliaAcgnolia
    Reactions: 1,280
    Posts: 153
    Member
    edited September 2018
    Acgnolia wrote: »
    Daxterbeer wrote: »

    I understand my opinion is an unpopular one here, but I think it is worth sharing anyway. A merge or alliance would keep whales from quitting the game sure, you are right, but is someone who has invested $1000's of dollars on a video game moving on in life really a bad thing? Whether you want to call your daily activity addiction or not, can a reasonable person actually say spending the thousands of dollars it costs to be competitive in maplestory wouldn't be bringing their 'habitual behaviour' extremely too far? Is spending hours a day on a game viable for most people wanting to better themselves? This sort of spending on a video game is either a colossal waste of money if you are not rich or is you passively wasting the best years of your life if you are. Either way a very big waste of your time here on earth. So thinking in the best interest of everybody, it is best we do not have a merge, and you are all further pressured to move on with your lives. Giving maplestory a merge would be like not putting down your dog who can't stand up anymore.The game is surviving on a small demographic of the players who spend enough time and money on the game to make significant business or philanthropic moves. Trying to make maplestory work in your 20's is you procrastinating in life. I'm sorry though, I won't tell you anymore scary truths to delude your fantasies.

    I haven't been to this thread in a while, and I come back to this strange argument. It can be summarized as: this game is bad (maybe all games in general according to you?), and so you should stop playing, and because you will stop playing, you don't need a merge. You can legit say this for anything and everything, might as well close down the entire suggestion section of the forum.
    Your summary of my argument is incorrect. Maplestory is not a 'bad' game and that isn't my rationale for not having a merge, please reference my other comment quoted below - essentially saying, "Playing this game casually is great", so no, this game itself is not bad, its merely that there is a substantial amount of the players who happened to be addicted to this game, to the point where it is financially interfering with other aspects of their life, and on top of that spend their day playing this game. There is a difference between 'winding down' and relaxing on a video game and spending a piece of your pay cheque every month and/or spending hours of every day invested into a game with little real life returns to offer. Also a difference between spending all day gaming as a teenager vs as an adult. It is the people investing most of their time or money into this game that need to move on. And again, as stated below, I believe maplestory can be sustained as a casual game without the alliance while simultaneously deterring whales from wasting more of their money or days on a video game. Casual playing over video game addiction is what i'm advocating for, that would have been a good summary and you could have probably put a sarcastic twist on that too.

    Lol and it is a strange argument because this forum is for maplers and I am pressing some of these maplers to critically think about how much they're investing into this game. Its not that videogames are bad, i don't believe that, its that somehow maplestory has successfully compelled people to spend $1000's of dollars on MANY different aspects of the game. And anecdotally, I know way too many 20+ year olds spending all day on this game. These consequences of the games survival has affected so many of the players that in my opinion are so severe the act of merging servers or creating alliances in order to delay the decline of this games population would only further perpetuate these consequences (being substantial money spent and time spent), while inaction on this issue would still allow the game to be played casually

    And that is just a hypothetical best-case scenario for my personal opinion. The reality is, Nexon is still making lots of money from the whales without the alliance. So whatever their rationale is for this decision to me is irrelevant. I just happen to believe it was a good idea because of what I previously wrote.
    .

    Implying you know the habits of everyone that plays the game, outside of the game. Keep these types of comments to yourself. Times have changed and behavioral patterns change. People are more social outside of the game that they were before.

    wasn't directed towards casual players, or everyone that plays. ~ a lot of people play casually. That is great. I want to reiterate there is a big handful of people who spend thousands of dollars and excessive hours everyday on this game. It is an odd phenomena that even the world health organization has acknowledged as a disorder. http://www.who.int/features/qa/gaming-disorder/en/
    Times and behaviour have changed, we know most maple players are the same players from 10ish years ago. meaning most players aren't kids anymore. We're adults, some of which are investing way too much of their life and funds into make-believe fantasy characters. Sorry to chalk up some of your lives to that. My opinion on this matter is that a merge or alliance is not necessary because this game can still be sustained as a casual game. It can also be sustained as a $5,000USD+ 'investment' if young adults are still wrongly prioritizing gaming over other aspects of life because their online buddies are enabling them. If this wake up call makes one person pursue something more important in life than a video game then It was a good idea. Either way other casual players should be aware of how much money can be spent on this game (There are frenzy totems on illegitimate black markets going for >$1,500, otherwise your spawn rates suck for post lvl 200 training- meaning you will train based on frenzy totem owners schedules who can offer you a service for a fee).

    **P.s you saying 'people are more social outside of the game than they were before' is kind of implying you know the habits of everyone that plays the game...
    Other then highlighting the unhealthy habits of extreme players, you're worried an alliance will have its intended effects, change the game so people wouldn't mind logging into the game more, and delay the decline

    Even if I agree that this game can be sustained as a casual game without a merge, many of us in this thread are saying it would be much better to have an alliance/merge. Im a casual player and I can't stand to be in khaini, I would have more fun, if i was in a populated world, with an active guild and players to play with and a market with more items. I am most certainly a casual player. But im guessing you don't disagree that an alliance will make the game better, but that because it makes the game better or atleast more desired to be played, people may want to log in more and thus waste more resources like time and money. But can't that be said for any improvement that nexon implements that might make people want to play the game more?

  • Instinct9001Instinct9001
    Reactions: 545
    Posts: 21
    Member
    edited September 2018
    [/quote][/spoiler]
    Other then highlighting the unhealthy habits of extreme players, you're worried an alliance will have its intended effects, change the game so people wouldn't mind logging into the game more, and delay the decline

    Even if I agree that this game can be sustained as a casual game without a merge, many of us in this thread are saying it would be much better to have an alliance/merge. Im a casual player and I can't stand to be in khaini, I would have more fun, if i was in a populated world, with an active guild and players to play with and a market with more items. I am most certainly a casual player. But im guessing you don't disagree that an alliance will make the game better, but that because it makes the game better or atleast more desired to be played, people may want to log in more and thus waste more resources like time and money. But can't that be said for any improvement that nexon implements that might make people want to play the game more?
    [/quote]

    Think about this, when people move on from maplestory they phrase it as they're 'quitting'... What is this a video game or cigarettes? People literally give away their equips when they quit to ensure they won't want to come back, this is like flushing your drugs down the toilet because you have no self discipline on your addiction.The way a lot of people play this game is truly unlike how most people play other games.

    Its more about weighing the positives versus the negatives. The negatives are at their base the time and money permanently lost to this game, which becomes too severe at a certain point when players are compromising other aspects of their life in order to continue playing. Which leads to the more intricate negatives; the development of gaming disorder as defined by the World Health Organization which so many maplers could be categorized in, the social repercussion of prioritizing gaming over real life interactions, compromising important relationships in order to game (anyone else see that 'FortNite' was cited in 200 divorce cases this year in the UK?) the passive spending of money, The lack of motivation outside of the game, there can be real consequences to gaming, and maplestory implicitly encourages the addiction side of it (i.e. 2x exp events for 4-hour blocks at a time and only on weekends? 30%exp pendant takes 3 hours to activate? the expensive nature of cubes, 'bonus potential', costly scrolls to add to your scrolls? the whole concept of RNG being way overemphasized?) This game is set up to take all of your day and all of your money. And an alliance will perpetuate these effects.

    Alternatively, the positives are temporary improvements to the games population. This enjoyment will not last nearly as long as the consequences will last for the people who continue to spend all their time and money on this game. This will be due to the inevitable transition of more people 'quitting' as most people are in their 20's and because if another alliance was necessary Nexon would implement it very inefficiently (if this thread is any indication).

    And the brilliant idea of merging servers into alliances can only be done so many times. They've already done it what 3 times? And yet still all of the non-reboot servers but one are dead. The games population has steadily been declining, and with Nexon having a track record with being unable to keep up with maintaining the population levels in response to players quitting, it seems like this complaint is just a part of the game play experience (the under populated MMORPG experience). For example, did they really think merging two dead servers together (khaini Broa) would actually solve any problems? Even if you get what you want and a alliance occurs, There is no way Nexon will adequately solve this solution, maybe you'll get Scania with Windia if you are lucky. But just know, if they adequately addressed this problem, there would be nothing else for players to hope for when the population problem occurs again. Because like I said you can only do an alliance so many times until you run out of servers, and if they solved this problem adequately, there would only be one server.

    We could delve even deeper and consider why this is happening; The reason is this game hasn't attracted a decent enough amount of new players in 10ish years, meaning y'all are grown ups now.. Slowly people are growing up and healthily ridding themselves of the nostalgia that is maplestory. So yea, this argument could very well be applied to any improvement to maplestory. Again with the dog euthanasia analogy; these attempts at alliances are maplestory's last breaths, and they are laboured breathes, it's bleeding out more players than its replenishing... Letting this go on any longer is just torturous... It's not about you having a few more moments with mans best friends, its about letting everyone else involved move on. Ironically, i'm thinking about the community here.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 6,920
    Posts: 997
    Member
    edited September 2018
    Other then highlighting the unhealthy habits of extreme players, you're worried an alliance will have its intended effects, change the game so people wouldn't mind logging into the game more, and delay the decline

    Even if I agree that this game can be sustained as a casual game without a merge, many of us in this thread are saying it would be much better to have an alliance/merge. Im a casual player and I can't stand to be in khaini, I would have more fun, if i was in a populated world, with an active guild and players to play with and a market with more items. I am most certainly a casual player. But im guessing you don't disagree that an alliance will make the game better, but that because it makes the game better or atleast more desired to be played, people may want to log in more and thus waste more resources like time and money. But can't that be said for any improvement that nexon implements that might make people want to play the game more?
    [/quote]

    Think about this, when people move on from maplestory they phrase it as they're 'quitting'... What is this a video game or cigarettes? People literally give away their equips when they quit to ensure they won't want to come back, this is like flushing your drugs down the toilet because you have no self discipline on your addiction.The way a lot of people play this game is truly unlike how most people play other games.

    Its more about weighing the positives versus the negatives. The negatives are at their base the time and money permanently lost to this game, which becomes too severe at a certain point when players are compromising other aspects of their life in order to continue playing. Which leads to the more intricate negatives; the development of gaming disorder as defined by the World Health Organization which so many maplers could be categorized in, the social repercussion of prioritizing gaming over real life interactions, compromising important relationships in order to game (anyone else see that 'FortNite' was cited in 200 divorce cases this year in the UK?) the passive spending of money, The lack of motivation outside of the game, there can be real consequences to gaming, and maplestory implicitly encourages the addiction side of it (i.e. 2x exp events for 4-hour blocks at a time and only on weekends? 30%exp pendant takes 3 hours to activate? the expensive nature of cubes, 'bonus potential', costly scrolls to add to your scrolls? the whole concept of RNG being way overemphasized?) This game is set up to take all of your day and all of your money. And an alliance will perpetuate these effects.

    Alternatively, the positives are temporary improvements to the games population. This enjoyment will not last nearly as long as the consequences will last for the people who continue to spend all their time and money on this game. This will be due to the inevitable transition of more people 'quitting' as most people are in their 20's and because if another alliance was necessary Nexon would implement it very inefficiently (if this thread is any indication).

    And the brilliant idea of merging servers into alliances can only be done so many times. They've already done it what 3 times? And yet still all of the non-reboot servers but one are dead. The games population has steadily been declining, and with Nexon having a track record with being unable to keep up with maintaining the population levels in response to players quitting, it seems like this complaint is just a part of the game play experience (the under populated MMORPG experience). For example, did they really think merging two dead servers together (khaini Broa) would actually solve any problems? Even if you get what you want and a alliance occurs, There is no way Nexon will adequately solve this solution, maybe you'll get Scania with Windia if you are lucky. But just know, if they adequately addressed this problem, there would be nothing else for players to hope for when the population problem occurs again. Because like I said you can only do an alliance so many times until you run out of servers, and if they solved this problem adequately, there would only be one server.

    We could delve even deeper and consider why this is happening; The reason is this game hasn't attracted a decent enough amount of new players in 10ish years, meaning y'all are grown ups now.. Slowly people are growing up and healthily ridding themselves of the nostalgia that is maplestory. So yea, this argument could very well be applied to any improvement to maplestory. Again with the dog euthanasia analogy; these attempts at alliances are maplestory's last breaths, and they are laboured breathes, it's bleeding out more players than its replenishing... Letting this go on any longer is just torturous... It's not about you having a few more moments with mans best friends, its about letting everyone else involved move on. Ironically, i'm thinking about the community here.

    Why don't we take of our elders with that dog analogy? What should we do when our grandparents start to age. Skip the retirement house and wheelchair and take Grandpa to a better place (seriously though, don't euthanize your grandparents.)

    Assuming Instinct is someone in his 20s where they are suppose to outgrow Maplestory and continuing to invest time and money isn't healthy, isn't staying here and lecturing us just as counterproductive as playing when we are adults? You made your point, and the people who remain here are those who decide to stay with Maple and hope to extend its lifespan. If you aren't a Mapler, you can just start a blog on game addictions else and leave the rest of this thread dedicated specifically to alliance and merge discussions since Suggestions and Feedback is where Maplers share their ideas of bettering the game.



  • Instinct9001Instinct9001
    Reactions: 545
    Posts: 21
    Member
    edited September 2018
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    Other then highlighting the unhealthy habits of extreme players, you're worried an alliance will have its intended effects, change the game so people wouldn't mind logging into the game more, and delay the decline

    Even if I agree that this game can be sustained as a casual game without a merge, many of us in this thread are saying it would be much better to have an alliance/merge. Im a casual player and I can't stand to be in khaini, I would have more fun, if i was in a populated world, with an active guild and players to play with and a market with more items. I am most certainly a casual player. But im guessing you don't disagree that an alliance will make the game better, but that because it makes the game better or atleast more desired to be played, people may want to log in more and thus waste more resources like time and money. But can't that be said for any improvement that nexon implements that might make people want to play the game more?

    Think about this, when people move on from maplestory they phrase it as they're 'quitting'... What is this a video game or cigarettes? People literally give away their equips when they quit to ensure they won't want to come back, this is like flushing your drugs down the toilet because you have no self discipline on your addiction.The way a lot of people play this game is truly unlike how most people play other games.

    Its more about weighing the positives versus the negatives. The negatives are at their base the time and money permanently lost to this game, which becomes too severe at a certain point when players are compromising other aspects of their life in order to continue playing. Which leads to the more intricate negatives; the development of gaming disorder as defined by the World Health Organization which so many maplers could be categorized in, the social repercussion of prioritizing gaming over real life interactions, compromising important relationships in order to game (anyone else see that 'FortNite' was cited in 200 divorce cases this year in the UK?) the passive spending of money, The lack of motivation outside of the game, there can be real consequences to gaming, and maplestory implicitly encourages the addiction side of it (i.e. 2x exp events for 4-hour blocks at a time and only on weekends? 30%exp pendant takes 3 hours to activate? the expensive nature of cubes, 'bonus potential', costly scrolls to add to your scrolls? the whole concept of RNG being way overemphasized?) This game is set up to take all of your day and all of your money. And an alliance will perpetuate these effects.

    Alternatively, the positives are temporary improvements to the games population. This enjoyment will not last nearly as long as the consequences will last for the people who continue to spend all their time and money on this game. This will be due to the inevitable transition of more people 'quitting' as most people are in their 20's and because if another alliance was necessary Nexon would implement it very inefficiently (if this thread is any indication).

    And the brilliant idea of merging servers into alliances can only be done so many times. They've already done it what 3 times? And yet still all of the non-reboot servers but one are dead. The games population has steadily been declining, and with Nexon having a track record with being unable to keep up with maintaining the population levels in response to players quitting, it seems like this complaint is just a part of the game play experience (the under populated MMORPG experience). For example, did they really think merging two dead servers together (khaini Broa) would actually solve any problems? Even if you get what you want and a alliance occurs, There is no way Nexon will adequately solve this solution, maybe you'll get Scania with Windia if you are lucky. But just know, if they adequately addressed this problem, there would be nothing else for players to hope for when the population problem occurs again. Because like I said you can only do an alliance so many times until you run out of servers, and if they solved this problem adequately, there would only be one server.

    We could delve even deeper and consider why this is happening; The reason is this game hasn't attracted a decent enough amount of new players in 10ish years, meaning y'all are grown ups now.. Slowly people are growing up and healthily ridding themselves of the nostalgia that is maplestory. So yea, this argument could very well be applied to any improvement to maplestory. Again with the dog euthanasia analogy; these attempts at alliances are maplestory's last breaths, and they are laboured breathes, it's bleeding out more players than its replenishing... Letting this go on any longer is just torturous... It's not about you having a few more moments with mans best friends, its about letting everyone else involved move on. Ironically, i'm thinking about the community here.

    Why don't we take of our elders with that dog analogy? What should we do when our grandparents start to age. Skip the retirement house and wheelchair and take Grandpa to a better place (seriously though, don't euthanize your grandparents.)

    Assuming Instinct is someone in his 20s where they are suppose to outgrow Maplestory and continuing to invest time and money and healthy, isn't staying here and lecturing us just as counterproductive as playing when we are adults? You made your point, and the people who remain here are those who decide to stay with Maple and hope to extend its lifespan. If you aren't a Mapler, you can just start a blog on game addictions else and leave the rest of this thread dedicated specifically to alliance and merge discussions since Suggestions and Feedback is where Maplers share their ideas of bettering the game.
    [/quote]
    I've underlined and bolded some of the text I think is relevant to your response. The first point is of how serious some maplers take this game. For some reason, more maplers are quite literally 'hooked' on this game to the point where they legitimately struggle to quit (reference my joke about the difficultly of quitting cigarettes). When I read that you're upping the ante from mans best friend to your immediate family, that is a testament to how serious some people take maplestory. I understand my analogy may have no captured how attached you are to this game. So to go off what you're saying. I can sympathize with the fact that being hooked on maplestory can be seen as analogous to taking your grandparents off life support when the prospects are bleak for some people. I get it can be that serious. I understand addiction is not something you can snap out of, thats why WHO takes it very seriously now too. And staying here and lecturing you isn't as counterproductive for a variety of reasons. Mainly, to paraphrase one of my previous posts, 'if one mapler takes what i say seriously and stops giving maple all their time' than I have accomplished something that i'm proud of that is benefiting people. I am trying to help the community here. Additionally, I only respond when I have lots of downtime. I'm not wasting more than 10-15 minutes when I write these posts, and as I said, casual gaming isn't bad, so if you're mapling for half hour here and there, all to you. And I am posting here and not on a blog because I used to play this game a lot and can directly sympathize with these people to an extent. And incase you haven't been reading my posts in their entirety, This is my reason as to why a merge is not necessary, and is a justification for my suggestion. Some people complaining about lack of justifications, and now you are complaining about justifications, sheesh. I will not explain that part again please reread. I only respond after my post has been made to counter rebuttals made to my initial argument??
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,865
    Posts: 6,272
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    Instinct9001, please stop derailing the thread.
    Your argument that "things need to be made worse, so people will save themselves and quit the game" could be applied to any suggestion (or, for that matter, bug report), but is not directly related to any of them, including this one.
  • Instinct9001Instinct9001
    Reactions: 545
    Posts: 21
    Member
    edited September 2018
    AKradian wrote: »
    Instinct9001, please stop derailing the thread.
    Your argument that "things need to be made worse, so people will save themselves and quit the game" could be applied to any suggestion (or, for that matter, bug report), but is not directly related to any of them, including this one.

    With all due respect I do not believe I am derailing this thread (aside from entertaining this response) and am mildly offended a couple of you are trying to chalk up my argument to some one-sentence black and white perspective after everything I have written, especially from a moderator, because Every post I've made on this thread has always been related back to the prospect of a merge. I've also praised casual playing in most of my rationales as well, so just considering that, it's obvious this argument cannot be applied to every single suggestion as you are suggesting. For example, The idea of having gollux equips being able to be purchased more than once is a good suggestion in my opinion, because it will inherently benefit casual players who maybe cannot afford one otherwise, and ultimately make them less expensive. By your logic, the people saying "we need a merge because the game needs to be improved" could also be applied to every suggestion on this forum.... Also, there were a few posters complaining about the lack of rationale in this thread
    Acgnolia wrote: »
    Cadena91 wrote: »
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    This may sound crazy, but I believe Nexon will take our suggestions seriously if we know EXACTLY what we want and are not just supporting the idea.

    Too easy.
    Merge all the worlds with Bera, also just by saying "Just saying "merge" is not detailed", it doesn't make you right.
    We say merge because this is the only solution.
    There's no need for details, really.
    Just merge all the worlds with Bera, and of course, take care of botters/hackers as much as possible, I believe, if Nexon want to, they can easily take care of at least half of them, this is just way too easy, they just need to DO it, not talk about it, less talking, more banning. we need deeds, not words. and we need and want them now.
    Details are very important in any plan implemented.
    So, YOU do need to address why it is "the only solution" how YOU think Nexon can take care of botters/hackers if they wanted to. If youre telling them to do it, you need to explain why it's so easy to do. They arent mind readers. The burden of proof is on YOU alone, since youre saying this stuff.

    If youre not willing to give the details or explain yourself with these vague statements/reasons, then this no longer counts as a request nor a suggestion, but a demand. And I don't think Nexon should have to take unreasonable demands from someone that cannot explain why these things are so easy.
    .

    So I knew if I made this case I would have to make a solid argument. However apparently providing suggestions with a thorough rationale is considering 'derailing'?

    I hope after rereading my previous posts, along with this further clarification, that you are able to see why my argument is a legitimate opinion on the matter of merging servers in GMS, and is also more thought out than most opinions presented in this thread.
    Going forward, I would appreciate reading more opinions on the topic of the merge as opposed to reading posts totally dismissing others opinions, that doesn't seem like good forum etiquette to me.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,865
    Posts: 6,272
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    I don't see any connection between population density and game addiction level, to be honest.

    I myself am a dedicated Mapler. Probably haven't missed more than a handful of days in the past decade. And I've always preferred low-population worlds. I'm perfectly content with MYBCKN as it is now.

    On the other hand, I see the members of my guild/alliance/buddy-list who only play during school breaks or just rarely in general, and several of them are very sad to log in and find the chat "dead" and their old friends offline. They quickly leave again, because the game by itself doesn't really hold their interest. They need people.

    And I know examples of the opposite, of course. A person's preference for solitude or crowds seems unrelated to how much time or money they put into the game.

    Arguably, the lower the population, the more real money one has to pay to create one's own gear, instead of buying it for meso (obtained by selling other things to other people), and the stronger one needs to be (to solo bosses, because a party is hard to find). Merging or allying worlds would enable more people to play casually, socialize, and trade, instead of do nothing but grind and pay. It would be healthier for players and for the game if all who crave the company of others could enjoy it. (As long as a small corner is left for those people who'd rather play alone).
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Posts: 314
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    If they were to merge, I still would like for them to merge newer low pop servers to each other and older high pop servers among each other as well. This way we could merge; however, keep some merged servers with less population and some with more population and give players the options they wanted or at least the closest solution.

    World leap around the time this happens would also help people go where they want.
  • TrystarrTrystarr
    Reactions: 1,350
    Posts: 64
    Member
    edited September 2018
    Sorrow wrote: »
    If they were to merge, I still would like for them to merge newer low pop servers to each other and older high pop servers among each other as well. This way we could merge; however, keep some merged servers with less population and some with more population and give players the options they wanted or at least the closest solution.

    World leap around the time this happens would also help people go where they want.

    I agree this is ideal in my opinion. Gives people the option, it's not like the lower pop server would take away that many people from the other server anyway (because its a low population..)

    Plus the world leap at this time would be ideal too, as it covers the issue of choosing a low or high population server, and covers the sentimental issue brought up earlier (about going back to your original server)

    The best solution imo.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 6,920
    Posts: 997
    Member
    edited September 2018
    Sorrow wrote: »
    If they were to merge, I still would like for them to merge newer low pop servers to each other and older high pop servers among each other as well. This way we could merge; however, keep some merged servers with less population and some with more population and give players the options they wanted or at least the closest solution.

    World leap around the time this happens would also help people go where they want.


    Overall, I think GRAZED and MYBCKN are somewhat equals and would they even mix? Are there and servers larger than those combined populations? I am also wondering if Windia or Broni is lower in population. Is it more ideal to have a big and small alliance or create two equal-sized alliances, and should Bera even be part of the alliance or be a separate server while non-Berans merge themselves? I am curious if my home alliance GRAZED will forge an alliance with or against MYBCKN (this is not Maple World War 1) or if Bera will joining any alliance.


    With the Black Update coming, we will be given the option to hide avatar megaphones, so the only main concern left is finding places for us to train which is when being in a smaller population has its advantage.





  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,865
    Posts: 6,272
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    With the Black Update coming, we will be given the option to mute megaphones, so the only main concern left is finding places for us to train which is when being in a smaller population has its advantage.

    We won't get the option to mute megaphones. Only to not show the lag-inducing avatar megaphones in the top-right corner.
  • AcgnoliaAcgnolia
    Reactions: 1,280
    Posts: 153
    Member
    edited September 2018
    AKradian wrote: »
    I don't see any connection between population density and game addiction level, to be honest.

    I myself am a dedicated Mapler. Probably haven't missed more than a handful of days in the past decade. And I've always preferred low-population worlds. I'm perfectly content with MYBCKN as it is now.

    On the other hand, I see the members of my guild/alliance/buddy-list who only play during school breaks or just rarely in general, and several of them are very sad to log in and find the chat "dead" and their old friends offline. They quickly leave again, because the game by itself doesn't really hold their interest. They need people.

    And I know examples of the opposite, of course. A person's preference for solitude or crowds seems unrelated to how much time or money they put into the game.

    Arguably, the lower the population, the more real money one has to pay to create one's own gear, instead of buying it for meso (obtained by selling other things to other people), and the stronger one needs to be (to solo bosses, because a party is hard to find). Merging or allying worlds would enable more people to play casually, socialize, and trade, instead of do nothing but grind and pay. It would be healthier for players and for the game if all who crave the company of others could enjoy it. (As long as a small corner is left for those people who'd rather play alone).

    His argument is "I know people who spend too much time on the game, nexon shouldn't do anything to make the game more desirable. Nexon has no obligation to help people with their habits, its on them to change their debilitating habits.

    Should Riot stop attempting to improve league of legends? Because I am sure there is people that spend way too much time and money on that game? or how about console games that require a yearly subscription to play online? you pretty much have to pay, maplestory atleast has the option to be played for free.
This discussion has been closed.