[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Is Bera really populated as it seems to be?

MirxMirx
Reactions: 300
edited January 2019 in General Chat
I ask this because i created a Burning character (Blaster(now in lvl139)) in Bera and it seems to be almost a ghost town in Henesys and other sites im only seeing bots everywhere spamming one skill and using ultra fast teleporting abilities in various locations killing everything on the screen. where is everybody? My main character is on El Nido (lvl 220) and i don´t know if it´s really worth to migrate to Bera in the next world trasfer event x(
P.S.: I don´t want to go to Reboot because i want to buy stuff on the Auction House to increase my range instead of been in a world without trading methods.

Comments

• FawkoFawko
    Reactions: 2,360
    edited January 2019
    It is heavily populated by bots, but it is still the most active world besides possibly Reboot. Most people are AFK in Outpost, if you did not start the black mage event yet you wont see them until you do that. Arcane River and FES 2 are packed with people now because it is 2x exp also.
  • MirxMirx
    Reactions: 300
    edited January 2019
    Mmmm x( the admins should get rid of them at least one time per month, because they are frecuent in sites like The swamp in Kerning city, Fantasy Theme World(Ludibrium), well, those are the places where i´ve seen the most, but there are other zones that i haven´t went there yet at least in Bera, they usually are ARK or Kanna.
  • JezJez
    Reactions: 1,600
    edited January 2019
    yeah what fawko said, beras heavily populated with bots 24/7 botting at many locations in every ch. but theres so many bots because its the most heavily populated world so, more legit players = more potential customers

i dont know why nexon doesnt just hire one guy to go around bera instabanning obvious botters... and whats with there being spam bots advertising outside of market 24/7? come on, should be easy to stop this but it hasnt ever stopped for years... and the botting in bera is so bad, bots dont ever cc anymore cause they dont care, by the time they get banned theyll already have transferred their mesos... and i bet they have tons of backup accounts ready to go. a dedicated mod, just a single dedicated mod could make a huge difference. but idk, this problem has been incredibly apparent in bera since i started playing years ago, i dont think nexon is really trying to crack down
    darik
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited January 2019
    Mirx wrote: »
    I ask this because i created a Burning character (Blaster(now in lvl139)) in Bera and it seems to be almost a ghost town in Henesys and other sites im only seeing bots everywhere spamming one skill and using ultra fast teleporting abilities in various locations killing everything on the screen. where is everybody? My main character is on El Nido (lvl 220) and i don´t know if it´s really worth to migrate to Bera in the next world trasfer event x(
    P.S.: I don´t want to go to Reboot because i want to buy stuff on the Auction House to increase my range instead of been in a world without trading methods.

thing is due to auction house the activity in bera has increased. rn because you can't verify hackers or find out who selling what more characters are created and with the silent log in its opening doors for bad activity. the population is a lot but the cheaters are the ones who made it.
  • DarchesDarches
    Reactions: 620
    edited January 2019
    Is there any way to apply to gain mod powers? I'm a quester and I've seen bots pretty much everywhere. I reported about 20-30 then got bored of Nexon's repetitive report forms. They don't even consider banning players if you don't have the name, which sucks because some maps (Kerning Swamp) have elements like tall grass that block the hackers names >:o
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    Darches wrote: »
    Is there any way to apply to gain mod powers? I'm a quester and I've seen bots pretty much everywhere. I reported about 20-30 then got bored of Nexon's repetitive report forms. They don't even consider banning players if you don't have the name, which sucks because some maps (Kerning Swamp) have elements like tall grass that block the hackers names >:o

They don't allow remote GMs if that's what you're asking. There's too much potential for abuse and a whole host of other liability issues that keeps that far away from consideration.
    Fuhreak
  • DarchesDarches
    edited January 2019
    Does GM stand for Game Moderator or Game Master?
    What is a remote GM?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Is there any way to apply to gain mod powers?
    There are legal issues with allowing players to ban other players, so Nexon does not have volunteer game moderators.
  • BiohazardBiohazard
    Reactions: 760
    edited January 2019
    Does GM stand for Game Moderator or Game Master?
    What is a remote GM?

GM is seen a lot in games...but in this instance it's either Game Master or Game Moderator. Other uses for it that you might see are Guild Master which isn't the same thing here, obviously. Both mean Game Moderator and Game Master mean the same thing.

A remote GM would be where someone connected from say a home setting to moderate in-game. Most gaming companies don't allow this because, as mentioned before, it's a liability issue. All GMs would be required to show up at a Nexon established office and log in through a stable server on a GM-use only account to moderate in-game.

It's mostly to prevent things like biased bans, item abuse, or some sort of harassment that can't be tracked to the worker. If a remote GM logged on at home and then say went to eat and their daughter or son went on the PC and went to town thinking it was all for giggles that would be a huge mess for Nexon to clean up. In a work station that wouldn't happen. It just protects them from those sort of mistakes.

As for Reboot or Bera, I'd personally say Reboot if you have more time...Bera if you feel like spending money. Both are populated enough for you to not have to worry about anything.
    Fuhreak
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Biohazard wrote: »
    A remote GM would be where someone connected from say a home setting to moderate in-game. Most gaming companies don't allow this because, as mentioned before, it's a liability issue. All GMs would be required to show up at a Nexon established office and log in through a stable server on a GM-use only account to moderate in-game.

It's mostly to prevent things like biased bans, item abuse, or some sort of harassment that can't be tracked to the worker. If a remote GM logged on at home and then say went to eat and their daughter or son went on the PC and went to town thinking it was all for giggles that would be a huge mess for Nexon to clean up. In a work station that wouldn't happen. It just protects them from those sort of mistakes.

I've actually known a player of another MMO who gained access to an account like this. He was able to do anything a GM could and afaik he was never blocked from this account.
    Of course it was a much smaller MMO from a much smaller company. He never caused any trouble, but he could have done so much damage.
    Remote GMs are a terrible idea, no MMO company with any amount of foresight will allow them.
  • DarchesDarches
    edited January 2019
    For posterity, I must address things...
    biased bans
    The bans should require video evidence, otherwise this is already happening. All humans are biased by nature, except me. I can record easily with [Windows]+Alt+R.
    item abuse
    What kind of item abuse would mod powers unlock?
    harassment that can't be tracked to the worker.
    Why wouldn't Nexon track its mods? That's unusual.
    If a remote GM logged on at home and then say went to eat and their daughter or son went on the PC and went to town thinking it was all for giggles that would be a huge mess for Nexon to clean up. In a work station that wouldn't happen. It just protects them from those sort of mistakes.
    PC's can be locked. Also, such a mess shouldn't be huge. Especially if Nexon tracks its mods and bans.

Remote shouldn't be too different than in-person, especially with video chat. My mother used to work-at-home for Time Warner Cable.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    You can list all the reasons why you think it would work, and you can do that for the next six weeks straight for two hours every day, but at the end of that six weeks, they'll still say "we can't, there's too much liability involved".

I have seen exactly one game allow remote GMs. It was nearly ten years ago that they last allowed it. That game is now dead.

I feel that I should also point out the fact that your mother probably did simple helpdesk-type work, and that phone/web support is a wholly different beast than having access to an elevated-permission account outside of the office.

And all of this aside, there comes the simple question: who could be trusted with that kind of power and authority? We've already seen, thanks to the maple leaf council from a couple of years or so back, that there are certain people who a lot of people think are trustworthy but cannot keep themselves from violating non-disclosure agreements on multiple occasions. I'm not going to name names or point fingers, but if you're still around you know who you are.
  • DarchesDarches
    edited January 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    ...phone/web support is a wholly different beast than having access to an elevated-permission account outside of the office.
    What's the difference?
  • rizariza
    edited January 2019
    I recommended and still do recommend remote gm. Do mods abuse their powers? Absolutely it is a common issue and most companies are in fear of it. Are there platforms where remote gm's exist? Yes many MMO's have it and many of these mods even with people they don't like, they are able to communicate and work with community members. I have seen great things with people with integrity. The problem why some companies don't practice or do it is cause they either know or don't trust their staff. Sometimes people know the nature of the people around them and wouldn't give them too much power in fear of what they can do or become. I think nexon can practice it but I think nexon knows at least with the people they have rn it may not be possible. I still believe this is the better option and trustworthy and honest people exist and are out there. I believe the people who you really don't see in positions are usually the ones who would be most effective. But I think Peters law is one thing practice in most places and is visible :D
    Darches
  • DarchesDarches
    edited January 2019
    riza wrote: »
    Peters law
    The Peter principle is a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to their "level of incompetence". In other words, an employee is promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another.
    Fuhreak
  • rizariza
    edited January 2019
    riza wrote: »
    Peters law
    The Peter principle is a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to their "level of incompetence". In other words, an employee is promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another.

Well that's some of it there's more too it don't want to get off topic but yea I feel in game mods are needed and will help.
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited January 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    ...phone/web support is a wholly different beast than having access to an elevated-permission account outside of the office.
    What's the difference?

The difference is one has more access privileges, the other doesn't.
  • anubis42anubis42
    Reactions: 945
    edited January 2019

In my opinion, atleast 80% of Bera's population are botters, I rarely encounter legit people to be honest, it's like really really rare...
  • rizariza
    edited January 2019
    anubis42 wrote: »

In my opinion, atleast 80% of Bera's population are botters, I rarely encounter legit people to be honest, it's like really really rare...

Cause you never encounter the right people. My ally is all legit I know for most guilds hackers do try to get into legit guilds. That's why in bera it's good to check scammer list in bera market and check the list here they list every week. Every guild at a time will encounter 1 or 2 depending on recruit process. For me I can't check most list as I'm ban from some of these places so people send them to me. But yea you should just find the right people there are not alot but there are many people out there just look around. Gl and hope u find legit people.