[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Unit Damage Skin.... yikes

EpigenesisEpigenesis
Reactions: 575
edited January 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
So I recently opened up some Damage Skin boxes from the Alliance shop and got my hands on one Foggy Damage Skin (Unit). I knew what unit damage skins were like in KMS, so I was interested in seeing how they ended up porting it over to GMS. And... well...

c0G3PVN.png

To give a really simplified explanation:

In English, to break down bigger numbers, we usually partition the digits in threes using commas: a billion would be 1,000,000,000. In Korea, to break down bigger numbers, they partition it into fours: a billion becomes 10억0000만0000. Still 9 zeroes, just separated in different ways. Here, the 억 refers to a value of 100,000,000 and 만 refers to a value of 10,000. In KMS, unit damage skins put the 억 and the 만 between digits, like so:

mA490eF.png

So instead of something like 311528805, they'd get 3억1152만8805 and they can easily parse how much damage they're doing.

And when they brought this over to GMS... well, you can see from the top image. But basically they translated the 억 and 만 values directly to 00,000,000 and 0,000, so Koreans' 3억1152만8805 becomes 3 00,000,000 1152 0,000 8805 for us.

So, uh, yeah, it would be nice if you guys could come up with a better way to handle unit damage skins instead of leaving this as is.
SlicedTimescholar624HHG1BasuraIvangoldFuhreakYinYangXKlaraSionne

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Thank you for the detailed explanation of what's happening with this skin. I have forwarded it.
  • OccireOccire
    Reactions: 1,935
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Sorry for bumping an old-ish thread, but this seemed like the most appropriate place for this. Did anyone else who did get a Foggy Damage Skin (Unit) or the other one (Labyrinth Flame?) have their saved damage skin converted to a non-unit version? And the unit versions are no longer listed in the potential items for the damage skin boxes. I don't think I recall reading about this on any maintenance notes, though I might've missed something, but if not, it seems like this issue got swept under the rug instead of fixed.

This is pretty disappointing, but unit damage skins would be great if they were done properly.
  • EpigenesisEpigenesis
    Reactions: 575
    edited January 2019
    I can corroborate that my stored unit damage skin was converted to a non-unit version (now I just have two Foggy Damage Skins stored). My conclusion now is that unit damage skins were never meant to go live in the first place and this was just an oversight (considering I don't think we've ever gotten the basic unit skin either).
  • SionneSionne
    Reactions: 690
    edited February 2019
    Or why can't we have just actual KMS version of damage skin with unit with Korean character in it (억, 만)? we even have Japanese Kanji Damage skin.
    SlicedTimeFuhreak