[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

is MapleStory dying?

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited March 2019
    Roni777 wrote: »
    Dieing what?

Everyone now is playing at Reboot server. On 2x event yesterday, Took me totals around 2 hours to surfing maps because all good farming maps in Arcana were full. All 30 channels and several maps are full. In the end i gave up and farm on the bad map. All channels are full. Full of players. after 14 hours, i finally manged to get 1 good map. And every 5-10 mins i saw players entering my map to search for farming map lmao. Reboot is way too crowded xD

Even on the old days, before bigbang,i have never seen this many players......

In complete fairness, judging a game's life/death state by how many people are on during 2x is kind of silly. It's like judging an entire year's worth of retail shopping based on Black Friday.
    FuhreakHuskyDM
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited March 2019
    See you holding up the fort there Aggraphine
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    They're only killing normal servers by pandering to reboot. Maybe reboot makes more money though I don't know?
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited March 2019
    JushiroNet wrote: »
    They're only killing normal servers by pandering to reboot. Maybe reboot makes more money though I don't know?

Being able to progress without having to spend money for range makes it so people stay for longer and maybe even entices some to buy Cash cosmetics. That would be the logic but we wouldn't know for sure unless someone released some earnings by server info.
  • pepepepe
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited March 2019
    JushiroNet wrote: »

I actually wouldn't be surprised if reboot actually does make more money from cosmetics only. Surprise boxes are a huge money maker in a world without trading.
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited March 2019
    its depends on your definition of "dying" dying to some people can be different to others while we live in a very confused and weird culture. I would say in a lot of aspects it is definitely the way I define it "dying". We talk about maple culture like I always mention we had a culture before where people would love to log on and hang out and boss with people, now most of us solo or one-shot bosses. We also have a communication issue in the community where things that are written in words can start a who flame war which wasn't the case before, in short, we have an issue with hypersensitivity. We also have an issue where bullies or cowards exist in this brand where people would love to gang up on or witch hunt a single individual or just go 2+ vs 1 which is also an issue with mob mentality and groupthink. I can go on for days about it but yes it is dying and we have a good idea why it's dying not to forget the world transfer event of 2017 which single handily destroyed most of the player base and ruin a lot of friendships. But being aware of an issue and talking about it means nothing unless we use those resources to solve the problems. Some times even you stating or saying the issue can get you silenced so overall it's just a ship waiting to sink and not much we can do. anyway gl with whatever this thread is up for :D
    Merphist
  • MalvonMalvon
    Reactions: 1,340
    edited March 2019
    This is going to be a fair amount of text and some of my minor opinions about this topic with some ok and some subpar suggestions and commenting on some of the above posts.

Well reboot server are some of the most populated so I can see why Nexon would want to focus attention on that server, The dying effect happens mostly because of lack of big surprise content other then the two big seasons, summer and winter break.

I figure with some really good surprise content, like a permanent area that has good to decent exp and great rewards to keep it players motivated like gollux and commerci or crimsonwood keep party quest. All this great content have interesting areas, bosses and they keep players coming back to them for months instead of a few weeks and getting something like a medal that fades after a few days from a grinding event and nobody wants to do stuff that just goes away.

I understand good content is very difficult to make and a lot of praise goes out to those programmers and designers, but instead of hitting it big for twice a year that the effort in putting together just two big patches worth could have 4 or more decent sized chucks through out the year, with things like class re-balances, peppered in off months instead of being a large focus during a main patch.

I am going to stop myself here though or I'll continue to ramble on. Thank you for your time.
  • MerphistMerphist
    Reactions: 890
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    MapleStory is dying from what I'm seeing so far. I've seen more people quit than join. However, the devotion of most players who played even after the Black Mage event are still going strong. Well people tend to come back after quitting for awhile to see whats new, or they heard some event came out. And playing too much can make you lose steam or motivation to keep moving on. Thus it's hard to tell if the game is dying or not unless certain changes that may have upset the community.

With the topic of the worlds I'm seeing above, it doesn't matter the world you play in. This is about the game as a whole. Some may talk about how Reboot and Non-Reboot are two different games, but clearly they're called MapleStory or GMS.

The social aspect of the game is also important as well.
    riza wrote: »
    its depends on your definition of "dying" dying to some people can be different to others while we live in a very confused and weird culture. I would say in a lot of aspects it is definitely the way I define it "dying". We talk about maple culture like I always mention we had a culture before where people would love to log on and hang out and boss with people, now most of us solo or one-shot bosses. We also have a communication issue in the community where things that are written in words can start a who flame war which wasn't the case before, in short, we have an issue with hypersensitivity. We also have an issue where bullies or cowards exist in this brand where people would love to gang up on or witch hunt a single individual or just go 2+ vs 1 which is also an issue with mob mentality and groupthink. I can go on for days about it but yes it is dying and we have a good idea why it's dying not to forget the world transfer event of 2017 which single handily destroyed most of the player base and ruin a lot of friendships. But being aware of an issue and talking about it means nothing unless we use those resources to solve the problems. Some times even you stating or saying the issue can get you silenced so overall it's just a ship waiting to sink and not much we can do. anyway gl with whatever this thread is up for :D
    I whole-heartedly agree with this. Most of what this game is about is communicating with people. It's hard to play this game without the base of the past when a lot of people loved to talk with each other in Henesys, boss together, go on party quests, etc.

So population wise, we are dying slowly. We are still growing immaturely. But we stand strong, so the weeds that haven't been pulled out of the ground will meet and greet the Black Mage.
  • rizariza
    edited March 2019
    Merphist wrote: »
    MapleStory is dying from what I'm seeing so far. I've seen more people quit than join. However, the devotion of most players who played even after the Black Mage event are still going strong. Well people tend to come back after quitting for awhile to see whats new, or they heard some event came out. And playing too much can make you lose steam or motivation to keep moving on. Thus it's hard to tell if the game is dying or not unless certain changes that may have upset the community.

With the topic of the worlds I'm seeing above, it doesn't matter the world you play in. This is about the game as a whole. Some may talk about how Reboot and Non-Reboot are two different games, but clearly they're called MapleStory or GMS.

The social aspect of the game is also important as well.
    riza wrote: »
    I whole-heartedly agree with this. Most of what this game is about is communicating with people. It's hard to play this game without the base of the past when a lot of people loved to talk with each other in Henesys, boss together, go on party quests, etc.

So population wise, we are dying slowly. We are still growing immaturely. But we stand strong, so the weeds that haven't been pulled out of the ground will meet and greet the Black Mage.

Yea I do agree with how you sum it up there are people who return if a vet or someone who started late like me which was in 2011 is still playing. I had a lot of people rejoin due to my presence in the community. I also heard similar cases with other known and other vet players. Cause we also have a base of players too. But don't forget when people quit or get hacked like the old best in gms "Kewra" people who followed or was in that era leave too. I notice when Kewra was hacked that's when the game went downhill. Also with many other issues that created the problems we have today. I feel honest we can absolutely fix it but first, we need to situate and bring up the world transfer issue. This issue alone can bring back some of the player base, as I had even brothers people in the same household as I quit because they didn't transfer in time. The other issue which everyone hears me talk about all the time is maple culture. We had a culture before that was great and made maple great, we don't have that today. People would rather whine and cry and get mad over nonsense as opposed to having fun. The other aspect of culture is legitness as we had someone who was well popular hack and cheats, culture in this sense means who we want to imitate and copy and be like. We need to advertise and honor those who played the game the way it was designed to be played. I can go on for days about culture but I probably get in trouble for it. But we need to be able to talk about problems, yes, but all means nothing if it not being put to use and we aren't being proactive about it.
  • GoldAdventurerGoldAdventurer
    Reactions: 2,645
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    I believe the game got changed a lot, including some negative changes which causes the game to feel harder, not benefitable enough.

I feel I'm not much being benefited from the game because there are many items which are untradeable or can only be moved within the same world only.

For example: Master Craftman Cubes and Miester Cubes: these are not tradeable after being crafted or earned from elite boss' treasure box.
    Also, most of the chairs benefit with recovery of 100 hp and 100 mp, up to 500 hp and mp every 10 seconds.
    However, I was excepting for many untradeable chairs to be able to move between characters on the same world and some select of these will recover hp and mp even faster (maybe 2,000 hp and mp every 10 seconds or higher).
    Furthermore, chances to earn worthy items from gacha or philosopher's book will be higher and items which are less in use will be removed.
    Additionally, I would like to see old school fashion equipments being available in game for collectors (like me) such as snowboards, roses, surfboards, old hats, umbrellas, tubes, masks, capes and more...
    Also, I would wish that it will be possible to trade more cash items in auction house such as new unused pets and game coupons.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited March 2019
    its interesting
    GMS used to be popular on twitch but now its few streamers (paid by nexon) and few cheaters here and there)
    all other are from other regions-servers that are with far more viewers
    https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/MapleStory

maplestory as game its not dying and its no way to die
    but as company/region that runs-manges it could , GMS its dying and it might die like BrMS/EMS and other
    GMS for long time quited to do old/unique/or any kind of event that we use to have (mostly steal from KMS and other regions),GMS hackers tolerance
    and other stuff( am not going to say because it will look like bashing on nexon) but we all know what going on
    KMS its only one doing as community request its balanced for all players (casual/hard core/streamers........) working on fixes stable and so on
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2019
    WONDERGUY wrote: »
    its interesting
    GMS used to be popular on twitch but now its few streamers (paid by nexon) and few cheaters here and there)

wikipedian_protester.png
    edited March 2019
    you cant claim streamers get paid by nexon without showing it to be so, streamers do get invites to events but by no means are they on payroll
    Merphist
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2019
    you cant claim streamers get paid by nexon without showing it to be so, streamers do get invites to events but by no means are they on payroll

He won't show proof. Pulling things out of one's ass is generally not admissible as evidence.
    edited March 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »

He won't show proof. Pulling things out of one's ass is generally not admissible as evidence.

most of what he said is unintelligible but that stuck out the most
  • MerphistMerphist
    Reactions: 890
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    tfw I try to make memes but then they just turn out really bad because all I put is a text box and lense flares to a picture.
    unknown.png?width=953&height=535
    Well if streamers were being payed by Nexon, they would have to disclose they are being sponsored by Nexon? Otherwise it may be illegal. I don't really know laws or stuff.

I think MapleStory last week had a point when it was around 3.7k viewers on twitch from what I heard. Doesn't sound like dying but it was out of the median. Not too familiar with the twitch scene, but I do know it does kind of relate to MapleStory's activity state around it dying or not.
    WONDERGUY
  • rizariza
    edited March 2019

It's true though in Zhong stream "recipes" you can see mods in there monitoring the stream and someone from gms team had let the team know I was in the room and they specifically targeted me and others. So is the person funded by Nexon maybe, cause there were people from both twitch and Nexon in the room monitoring the chat while he was finessing you all and calling the people who forgave him, idiots. If you need proof go back to that video and look at the part where he stops talking and he was heavily staring at his pc. Someone dm me and others to tell us that and we all were definitely watching cause someone on the team told him about me, and others who were in there that could have made the stream change course from the narrative they were trying to give. But staying on the topic Nexon has work to do to fix the game the world merge or transfer is the first and only issue to work on rn, everything else can wait.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited March 2019

what part was wrong geting paid ?
    its fact maybe not in direct cash but(small group) constantly promoted,send to nexon,gifted merch......
    about Viewers there ? have you seen how many are from GMS and how many are from other services ? (some of the services i cant name....)
    after that i said GMS as region is kinda failing like brazilMS and europeMS but thats not end to maplestory as there is still services around
    (but GMS its the one that cant be seen often unless nexon "pay" their golden bois even when they cheat)
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited March 2019
    WONDERGUY wrote: »

what part was wrong geting paid ?
    its fact maybe not in direct cash but(small group) constantly promoted,send to nexon,gifted merch......
    about Viewers there ? have you seen how many are from GMS and how many are from other services ? (some of the services i cant name....)
    after that i said GMS as region is kinda failing like brazilMS and europeMS but thats not end to maplestory as there is still services around
    (but GMS its the one that cant be seen often unless nexon "pay" their golden bois even when they cheat)

wikipedian_protester.png
  • fidgetspinnerACEfidgetspinnerACE
    Reactions: 1,465
    edited March 2019
    Among other things, with the way they ignore party quests and party play, that part of Maplestory is truly dead. Oh, I understand the things they have to do to keep the game going, but when I saw no mention of these mechanics in a korean interview, I wondered if they ever gave an official reason why it's never brought up. With the knowledge and experience Nexon has, a modern-day MMORPG, honest-to-goodness party content would be amazing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/9avcdn/kms_directors_interview_in_tms_event_translated/
    http://m.inven.co.kr/board/powerbbs.php?come_idx=2304&l=12430
    WONDERGUY