[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Desperate for female Mihile

Comments

• KlaraKlara
    Reactions: 3,385
    edited April 2019
    mihile has been unpopular since before the revamp. people dont like the playstyle not because it's gender locked.

people dont really train mihile unless theyre going for 8k legion or link skill. even with legion you dont need mihile to be 200 to get 8k, you just need 40 characters.

so, unless youre planning on maining and others are planning on maining mihile, does the benefit of including female mihile outweigh the effort?

But it's such a small change. Male Mihiles use beginner explorer top/shorts/shoes at character creation.
    Then there's the Apprentice Knight of Light Robe which is gender-neutral.
    I've already proposed the potential starting looks for girls - we don't need anything fancy. Jean hair was recoloured for female Mercedes' character creation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    And if Nexon really doesn't have time, they can give me the dialogue I would be happy to edit it for them.

Why revamp Jett if it was so unpopular? And why bring BT to GMS?
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    Klara wrote: »
    But it's such a small change. Male Mihiles use beginner explorer top/shorts/shoes at character creation.
    Then there's the Apprentice Knight of Light Robe which is gender-neutral.
    I've already proposed the potential starting looks for girls - we don't need anything fancy. Jean hair was recoloured for female Mercedes' character creation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    And if Nexon really doesn't have time, they can give me the dialogue I would be happy to edit it for them.

Why revamp Jett if it was so unpopular? And why bring BT to GMS?

The problem is that it's so low priority, they're dealing with much bigger issues atm.
    Sure it wouldn't take that long to fix, but if you throw in 100 of those "This wouldn't take that long to fix" you detract from larger issues.
    What Nexon should probably do is take a patch season, or even half of one, to focus on clearing up these small minor things.
    Sort of like the tune up update, but with a broader brush. Otherwise they just throw them into random updates when they see to it.

• DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited April 2019
    I'd wager the majority of players wouldn't think about this "issue" unless you were to bring it up and influence about it. Just like angelic buster, we just get used to it.

This is just a topic based on someone really really wanting a female mihile, not so much that there should be one.
  • HoneyWaterHoneyWater
    Reactions: 2,245
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    Female Mihile would be cool.

i think its fair to just include it. I don't really know any other classes that are really gender locked.
    I mean it would also happen if the player-base cared about it. One day :/
  • KlaraKlara
    edited April 2019
    I'd wager the majority of players wouldn't think about this "issue" unless you were to bring it up and influence about it. Just like angelic buster, we just get used to it.

This is just a topic based on someone really really wanting a female mihile, not so much that there should be one.

If you google "maplestory male angelic buster" and "maplestory female mihile" there's been many people over the past several years who've wanted them.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited April 2019
    HoneyWater wrote: »
    Female Mihile would be cool.

i think its fair to just include it. I don't really know any other classes that are really gender locked.
    I mean it would also happen if the player-base cared about it. One day :/

Angelic buster, that people have literally been talking about in this entire thread.

And the playerbase doesn't care because a gender-locked character is nothing out of the norm(some games don't give you a gender choice at all) and is ultimately a non-issue to all but a very small, somewhat-vocal minority. Gender-locked mihile is not a game-breaking bug, it's not legit players being swept up in a banwave, it's not server instability, it's not kishing being nerfed or removed, it's not Belgian players being cut off from cash shop chance items, and it is most certainly not account verification errors.

So because of all this, the vast majority of players do not care about it; and rightly so.

Realistically, you have a male gender-locked class, and a female gender-locked class. If you don't like that, I welcome you to pursue one of the literally almost four dozen other classes that give you a choice between male and female.
    PetalmagicFuhreak
  • LuxxLuxx
    Reactions: 1,795
    edited April 2019
    I mean, let them have Mihile still canonically be a male
    and just give us a female items. The M/F bases are the same.
  • KlaraKlara
    edited April 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Realistically, you have a male gender-locked class, and a female gender-locked class. If you don't like that, I welcome you to pursue one of the literally almost four dozen other classes that give you a choice between male and female.

But the gameplay and skills won't be the same. There's also the creative side (fashionstory) where people like to give themes to their characters. Imagine if I/L was locked to females and F/P could only be male. People have their own preferences with gender and how to dress classes.
  • PawblePawble
    Reactions: 405
    edited April 2019
    The easiest solution would be to remove gender options in general, make non-NX armor bound only to classes and make new hair coupons. one for female, one for male that any character can use, letting people can freely choose which gender they want to be at any given time.

Edit: Realizing that would remove some choices of clothes at the beginning of some classes but I guess that would be one of the small sacrifices.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019

But the gameplay and skills won't be the same. There's also the creative side (fashionstory) where people like to give themes to their characters. Imagine if I/L was locked to females and F/P could only be male. People have their own preferences with gender and how to dress classes.

As someone who plays a Female F/P mage, that wouldn't stop me from playing my favorite class.
    It's fun yes, (to dress up your characters) but it shouldn't be stopping you from playing the class you like.
    As Aggraphine said, it's a small minority that actually cares about this.
    Realistically, Nexon isn't going to change it. They most likely never will. If you like the class, I suggest you just play it.
    Regardless of Male or Female.
    Pawble
  • KlaraKlara
    edited April 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »

As someone who plays a Female F/P mage, that wouldn't stop me from playing my favorite class.
    It's fun yes, (to dress up your characters) but it shouldn't be stopping you from playing the class you like.
    As Aggraphine said, it's a small minority that actually cares about this.
    Realistically, Nexon isn't going to change it. They most likely never will. If you like the class, I suggest you just play it.
    Regardless of Male or Female.

Even if this only involves the minority of the player base, it doesn't mean it should be ignored. Everyone plays differently, so for some, being restricted in character customisation is really disheartening. And not everyone is comfortable to play a restricted gender. I rarely log onto anything other than Zero but I would still like to play dress-ups with my mules because they each have their own name, theme, personality, and backstory - and gender is the icing on the cake. And let's not forget skin colour; we don't have a salon for it so it'll be a pain to keep changing it every time I want to customise my zero alpha/beta into someone with darker skin. Furthermore, a lot of old nx covers are restricted to specific weapons so I can't complete certain looks that I've planned out on just one class.

Why can't people be more positive with their comments? Just because Nexon is known for ignoring small ideas, it doesn't mean we should give up on them entirely. Remember how long it took for GMS to release elf skin and clay skin? The majority of players didn't even know people were making threads about those skin colours because not everyone uses the forums.
  • AstersAsters
    Reactions: 975
    edited April 2019
    i think nexon wanted to make some classes special on gender. Angelic buster is fixed as female whereas Mihle is male,

i agree though why not make them flexible like all the other classes we have.

We could argue that some classes should be fixed to their corresponding story gender
  • AstersAsters
    Reactions: 975
    edited April 2019
    AKradian wrote: »
    I'd wager it's because mihile was established as being a male character early on, and angelic buster is basically just fanservice: the class

Whereas Phantom wasn't established as being male? Considering Korea's supposed homophobia (speculated to be the reason we don't have same-gender marriages in Maple to this day), having Phantom the womanizer, lover of Empress Aria, be female, is quite scandalous. And yet we can make female Phantoms.

From what I've heard, Mihile class was originally intended as an April 1st joke, but was released as an actual class to deflect attention from some scandal or other in KMS. It was hastily done so they didn't have the time to make the female version of the storyline. That doesn't explain why they never went back and added the female version when they finally revamped the class, however.

AB, on the other hand, would need to be completely redone for Magical Boy. It's not just the outfit but the skill animations and of course the story dialog. Unless we want Eskalade to be forcing an actual boy (rather than a tomboy) into pinkness and sparkles, which somehow I don't think would satisfy those players who hate playing AB because of her gender-lock...

Dont spread the hate on korea.
    it's a game design . and many other gender choice issue make the story to sound rather strange as in the ones of phantom& aria -Demon slayer & matisma - xenon &Claudine, and so on.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    Asters wrote: »
    AKradian wrote: »
    I'd wager it's because mihile was established as being a male character early on, and angelic buster is basically just fanservice: the class

Whereas Phantom wasn't established as being male? Considering Korea's supposed homophobia (speculated to be the reason we don't have same-gender marriages in Maple to this day), having Phantom the womanizer, lover of Empress Aria, be female, is quite scandalous. And yet we can make female Phantoms.

From what I've heard, Mihile class was originally intended as an April 1st joke, but was released as an actual class to deflect attention from some scandal or other in KMS. It was hastily done so they didn't have the time to make the female version of the storyline. That doesn't explain why they never went back and added the female version when they finally revamped the class, however.

AB, on the other hand, would need to be completely redone for Magical Boy. It's not just the outfit but the skill animations and of course the story dialog. Unless we want Eskalade to be forcing an actual boy (rather than a tomboy) into pinkness and sparkles, which somehow I don't think would satisfy those players who hate playing AB because of her gender-lock...

Dont spread the hate on korea.
    it's a game design . and many other gender choice issue make the story to sound rather strange as in the ones of phantom& aria -Demon slayer & matisma - xenon &Claudine, and so on.

Mastema actually changes gender depending on which gender Demon you select, to always be the opposite of yours.
    As for Xenon and Claudine, they were supposedly friends as children.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    Even if this only involves the minority of the player base, it doesn't mean it should be ignored.
    Sure. Don't let it stop you from saying that it's a good idea, but it shouldn't be treated as a major issue, either.
    Based on the way a lot of these small issues are treated, you'd think they prevent people from playing the game or something.
    Why can't people be more positive with their comments?

I'm positive that people are saying that you can play the game regardless of this. That you shouldn't let something so minor stop you from enjoying a game.
    Do you want blind optimism, or do you want the truth of the matter? Nexon will most likely do nothing about this. Would you rather people pretend Nexon cares?
    As I said before, it's a small issue that is easily ignored. Is it also easily fixed? Sure. But so are thousands of other things. Nexon will get to it when they get to it.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited April 2019
    Even if this only involves the minority of the player base, it doesn't mean it should be ignored.
    Sure. Don't let it stop you from saying that it's a good idea, but it shouldn't be treated as a major issue, either.
    Based on the way a lot of these small issues are treated, you'd think they prevent people from playing the game or something.

I'm positive that people are saying that you can play the game regardless of this. That you shouldn't let something so minor stop you from enjoying a game.
    Do you want blind optimism, or do you want the truth of the matter? Nexon will most likely do nothing about this. Would you rather people pretend Nexon cares?
    As I said before, it's a small issue that is easily ignored. Is it also easily fixed? Sure. But so are thousands of other things. Nexon will get to it when they get to it.

The one thing it seems so common for people to do on here is to fall into a line of thinking where, if you're not agreeing with every single facet of something, you must be wholly against it. It would harm nothing to allow for mihile to be made male or female, but it simultaneously harms nothing by its absence. And with the myriad of other problems this game faces on a daily basis, this is rightfully far, far down the priority list, if it's even on there at all.

The gameplay and skills would be exactly the same. Because gender changes none of it. And it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if i/l was locked female and f/p was locked male. I would play the class for its playstyle, not just what gender it's presented as. Hell, I made a female xenon, when the class is canonically male, just for the orchid hair. It doesn't make a bit of difference to me.

People can have their own preferences all they want, but they need to be willing to work with what's available, rather than whining that something needs to change because it doesn't perfectly fit some preconceived notion someone has in their head. There are 44 different individual classes, soon to be 45 with pathfinder. Two of those are gender-locked, one male and the other female. There are 42 other classes that players can mold with regards to "their own preferences with gender and how to dress classes".
  • L4d2jpnL4d2jpn
    Reactions: 2,060
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    I remember when aran was a male then female then male then female lol.

Anyway, OP there are female outfits that you can wear as a male. Just in the tooltip just make sure that it shows a range gain of 0 versus a "--", this even applies to things which are labelled as (F).

Jean/soprano used to be in the April fool rotation so there's hope for decent hairs.

I can see you're all about your char customizations but I feel you can just put a request in and hope something happens later. There's quite a bit of options to make your char look the opposite gender to the point where I feel the only limitation is marriage. Maple heroes, jms and new chars are the only ones with voices so I kinda agree with no gameplay changes. Besides even though there's so many dialogues where Lucid is deemed a guy, people still consider him a girl. If you want to think Mihile as a girl, no one's going to stop you.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited April 2019
    L4d2jpn wrote: »
    I remember when aran was a male then female then male then female lol.

Anyway, OP there are female outfits that you can wear as a male. Just in the tooltip just make sure that it shows a range gain of 0 versus a "--", this even applies to things which are labelled as (F).

Jean/soprano used to be in the April fool rotation so there's hope for decent hairs.

I can see you're all about your char customizations but I feel you can just put a request in and hope something happens later. There's quite a bit of options to make your char look the opposite gender to the point where I feel the only limitation is marriage. Maple heroes, jms and new chars are the only ones with voices so I kinda agree with no gameplay changes. Besides even though there's so many dialogues where Lucid is deemed a guy, people still consider him a girl. If you want to think Mihile as a girl, no one's going to stop you.

What. It's a text error on the soul collector UI. Lucid is literally female.
  • L4d2jpnL4d2jpn
    Reactions: 2,060
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    What. It's a text error on the soul collector UI. Lucid is literally female.

Yeah but it's still funny.
  • KlaraKlara
    edited April 2019

I would just like some sort of communication from Nexon, like "hi, we've seen this request so please be patient and keep an eye out for future updates while we discuss this internally". I want to know if I should let go of all hope or hold out a bit longer. Even some sort of teaser would be nice... e.g. "guess what we're thinking of doing".

I know I can play the game and I'm not letting the gender-lock stop me from enjoying it; I'm just trying to communicate how great this feature would be, what I'm planning to do with it, and how much time I've invested into MapleStory. But multiple people seem to be telling me "this is what was initially decided so it's not going to change - give up and play something else/ another way". Again, I just want some kind of response.

The gameplay and skills would be exactly the same. Because gender changes none of it. And it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if i/l was locked female and f/p was locked male. I would play the class for its playstyle, not just what gender it's presented as. Hell, I made a female xenon, when the class is canonically male, just for the orchid hair. It doesn't make a bit of difference to me.

I was responding to you saying that there's other classes to choose from. I would like my own Mihile because of the light-based skills and the ability to shield teammates, but unfortunately Mihile hasn't been copy-pasted to another class name. Although a gender lock wouldn't bother you, a lot of people would question it because everyone plays in their own way. My Xenon is also female because it fits in with the character I've assigned to the class. Furthermore, Luminous is female; Mercedes is male; and Ark is female for me.
    People can have their own preferences all they want, but they need to be willing to work with what's available, rather than whining that something needs to change because it doesn't perfectly fit some preconceived notion someone has in their head. There are 44 different individual classes, soon to be 45 with pathfinder. Two of those are gender-locked, one male and the other female. There are 42 other classes that players can mold with regards to "their own preferences with gender and how to dress classes".

Why not remove the suggestions/feedback/requests board and make players work with what Nexon has originally done to the game? If there's something to improve on, people will want to ask for change.