[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

What do you think about bringing elements from...

hyacahyaca
Reactions: 1,050
edited June 2019 in General Chat
old maple into new maple in a modern way?

AKradian said I could make this topic, since it's not a discussion of legacy servers, but returning revamped valued content to the players.

For example if Carnival PQ were brought back but with 5th job mobs, a lot of people would have fun playing it. Or if we could at least buy the previously unobtainable party potions that cpq used to drop from an npc. I can see a use for this for bossing. Let's say your team mates can't use a potion, and then all you have to do is use a party pot, healing everyone completely.

Hp washing could be brought back... pretty useful for demon avengers.

What other content should make a return to maplestory in some form?

Comments

• Kradian_SouthKradian_South
    Reactions: 1,015
    edited June 2019
    pottable badges
    bring em back
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited June 2019
    Sounds like another "update the goddamn party quests" plea. Let's hope this one sticks finally.
  • fidgetspinnerACEfidgetspinnerACE
    Reactions: 1,465
    edited June 2019
    What I feel is a necessary but subtle component that I think they desperately need to bring back is the sense of adventure and exploration. What I'm about to describe is going to be a little hard for me to explain, and I'd understand why Nexon or anyone else would feel the work for it won't translate to direct profit, but in my mind, it should be one of the core tenets of Maple's identity and that it has value.

To clarify, what do I mean by "sense of adventure"? Currently, Maple is extremely streamlined. This makes it easier for devs to create, maintain or remove content. In terms of area/monster map layout and design there are some positives to it as well- maps are only designed for grinding or for quests, so they are always viable. Some are even exclusive to certain resources like Star Force and Arcane Force for increased map value. However, because of its simplicity, there are a lot of negatives as well. Many area maps lead to dead-ends and barely branch out, some monster maps are obviously better for grinding than others (ex. Morass Abandoned Area 3 is viable as far as grinding for experience, but awkward for looting with all the platforms), their usability is limited except if they are meta, etc.

Lets look at an example. When I look at the background of a map, I see so many possibilities. A striking one I like is Moonlight Bamboo Grove:

73eaaf0b13.jpg

The first thing I can imagine is jumping through the trees fighting haunting spirits and wildlife, finding secret clearings or monsters that I may want to avoid, meandering deep into the fog-filled forest leading into the mountain or the moon, all the while feeling this pervasive loneliness but knowing there are dangers all around me. Perhaps the land here is cursed which mechanically means an area-wide undead status that can only be ignored by the area specific potions sold by NPCs there that you have to befriend. You can bruteforce it, or have certain class skills, or obtain a quest item to alleviate the restriction. So many possibilities...

The reality is this is the background of just two maps, from a set of story quests leading to a story boss. None of what I described above applies to the actual location.

Another example:

maxresdefault.jpg

Esfera, the Origin Sea. Short, to the point. It's purposeful. But what if? What if, as a way to mirror the area boss Will, you'd have to defeat mobs two times by entering the sea beneath your feet? What if you have to enter the crashed ship in the base camp because periodically, the area gets flooded?

What I'm trying to get across is that Maple has become so streamlined, that it only allows functionality and forgoes most perception of role-playing. Check the base camp of Esfera again, all the NPCs are lined up in the open for you, the monster maps are a short walk, there's no tension because it's the same pattern you've grinded to since the beginning. It's become too predictable and bland. Might as well have just one monster map, 1x1 pixel small so as not to waste player and dev time. The only purpose of this place is to grind (they could've have placed Will anywhere else and it would make as much sense).

Compare the design of that area map to this old one:

vihenesys.gif

There's a lot more interest going on. There's nothing crazy going on like my above ideas but for what the player can do for that area, and what that maps are specifically designed to achieve, it beats out all of the maps in Esfera.

Now, I want to specifically call to attention the map labelled "Dungeon Entrance". Before I begin any further, remember that the level that can enter these maps are very low, tele rocks were nonexistent, and the half the classes had no mobility options. You did have taxis or town scrolls (maybe, I forgot), but the normal, intended way was to pass on foot.

In this map, the middle section that has the hiddenstreet portal that leads to "Breathing Rock" had high lvl monsters, which outright kill the level appropriate characters of the area. To actually challenge the golems swarming this pit, you'd have to be a higher level to even hit them. So, as your making your way to and from this map, you'd have to platform carefully above this pit section, or risk death. Going for the top platforms was safer but took longer than the bottom platforms. It was scary. It was fun. If you were curious, or brave, you could somehow aggro the golems in one direction and enter "Breathing Rock". Maybe your a Thief and could just phase through them, or you've become high leveled and can show yourself and others where you train. Maybe your mischievous and trick people to go into the pit. So much value in one map, and it's not even intended to grind there!

There's a push and pull, challenge, conscious player interactions and decisions being made instead of clocking out your brain to do checklists.

Comparing this to new maps, and you can see they're more smaller and less nuanced. Shouldn't that be the opposite? We have so much more power, more mobility options, yet the new maps don't reflect that.

Basically, what I mean by bringing back the "sense of adventure" is advocating for better quality map designs. That includes transitional maps, platforming, how they're designed for grinding, and the length and routes of area maps.

Still, what concrete merit does this actually bring? So far, I've only argued the quality of the old maps and how they're better than the new ones, but not really how they're more necessary. Sure, players will certainly enjoy increased map quality, but how can increased map quality translate to tangible value to the devs? I'll try and list some reasonings for that.

First and foremost, better map quality builds community, which brings in good word-of-mouth for new players and returning ones. Places for people to log in and hang out, even if they're not doing anything else, just to see friends and do something together, because of that positive atmosphere. i.e. Henehoes in Henesys, Islanders, HHG1, etc. Maps serving not only a functional need but also an emotional one ensures that players stay with the game.I believe the KMS devs have even expressly considered adding more communal spots before in a Q&A. With recent maps in particular, it's hard to chill with buddies when there are less platforms to afk on, or getting attacked by an anti-afk mobs (although I admit, this creates value with high chairs...).

Better quality map design means more tension. More tension means more focused player activity. You know what that means? More player retention. That doesn't mean anti-afk mobs. It means monsters that require more strategy or skill. Monsters hitting like trucks again. More use of status effects beyond damage. Reintroduction of enemy placement having an effect. Introducing back specific area bosses and not the catch-all ones currently in use. All of this goes hand in hand with aiding the RPG aspect of Maple as well as further strengthening player retention. Maybe then, this could lead to less reliance on afk events or events in general or I suppose you could double up on it... Botters might have more trouble dealing with these renewed map philosophies, but I'm not too sure on the scope of their abilities.

Replayability, avoiding powercreep, and easier identification of illicit users; efficient use of resources. If they increase map quality, it stands to reason that players want to keep using them (though balance will have to play a part). I have no doubt it can have the same impact as when they balance classes - something exciting worth talking about for players, and (what I assume) just making slight changes for the devs. Better map quality also means you can make less monster maps. Everyone likes fighting for CLP, but if near every map is CLP-quality, there'd be less congestion but still enough for players to drive up player desires, depending on how many quality maps are made (note: I consider CLP good in the context of it aligning well with the current meta, aka mobs concentrated in a relatively small area, which favors one-shots and kish. If possible, I'd like a little more personality). And with the consolidation of these smaller number of maps, botters and hackers will be identified more, since actual players are already wanting to use these maps themselves. I even imagine hackers and botters not even bothering with transitional maps since they hold more recreational value than anything else.

Variety. All actions in the game are done so for a reward, and most ultimately comes down to damage. That is fine. However, as player growth increases, there should be a parallel growth in player surroundings. Players will be given more reasons to get stronger to remove difficulties in more challenging maps, which means more cubes, more time, leading to more profit. This will also help with a sense of achievement, and with that pride. With that, and more things to do, this will decrease the chance of players leaving the game.

(Re)New avenue for monetization. Obvious boost in value to things like Tele Rocks or area Passes. With more focus on more smaller amount of quality maps, we can examine this philosophies shortcomings to provide convenient CS items. For example, since there is now less maps to horde to oneself, introduce a CS item that allows one's own monsters to spawn and kill, irregardless of other players. Or, with the idea in my opening paragraph, if say the area map has constant undead status until a quest item is required, not only will the value of buff freezers go up, a CS equip from a CS box or Marvel Machine that has great stats and has the effect of blocking out non-boss negative status effects can be introduced. Or in transitional maps, introduce special mounts that can fly in those sections only. More quality maps means more reasons and opportunities to buy conveniences.

It's funny, when I first heard about the Adventure patch, I thought they'd finally realize the importance of exploration in the game. No one really talks about this because it does seem like something unnecessary, something that's outdated but as a plea from someone whose experienced the thrill of just wanting to travel all of Maple, seeing how far I could personally go, seeing other players along their travels, connecting with them and the game...It's not a gamble. It will make Maple for the better, for both the developers and the players.
    TachikawaHiyokoscholar624