[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.217 Sengoku Returns: Asura War Patch Notes here!
Add Improved MapleStory Taiwan "Item Dyes" to GMS
MapleStory Taiwan has a purchasable item called "Item Dye." Using one will change an explicitly colorable equipment to a random color via hue shifting.
I believe a version with several Quality of Life improvements would be very popular, as it would allow players to stand out with similar equipment sets. I propose two major changes to the system:
- Instead of the color being random, give the player a UI nearly identical to that used for Chroma Bean pet. It would have a single Slider to hue-shift the equipment.
- Instead of equipment needing to be inclusively tagged as "colorable," make the system exclusive with a "non-colorable" tag. As the value of the system comes from using it, limiting to very specific equipment means this equipment must remain as available as the Item Dyes themselves. This means those specific items become less valued even when Item Dyed, thus making the entire system far less interesting. Mindfully blocking items from being recolored (for instance, crossover equipment) would be its own annoyance, but would be worth the effort for the sake of the system's usefulness.
- As changes to the system are required, the effort would have to be deemed worthwhile. Not only the cost of developing the system, but the inherent risks of opening it to most equipment available and the issues that could arise with it.
- MapleStory Taiwan has a separate item to remove dying from an equipment. In their service, this item cost double the price of an Item Dye. This would definitely have to be reconsidered. If the requested changes to the system were made, this item would not be required.
- As the item functions by hue shifting the item, the effect is less noticeable on predominantly dark equipment. A user may purchase assuming color was added and feel ripped off when there isn't noticeable change. A previewing function in the Cash Shop would be preferable.
The item itself was added to the game data with translated graphical text the same month it was added to MapleStory Taiwan. As such as far as the base content, it would only need the requested modifications to be ready to release. Admittedly there would be a relative good bit of effort and understanding to make the system work as requested here, but I believe it would be worth the cost to give players more customization options.
https://tw.beanfun.com/maplestory/BullentinDetail.aspx?id=51859The value of the system comes from being able to use it, so limiting it to specific equipment requires that equipment remain available perpetually, while also becoming more common and less valued for being hue-shifted. Instead of an inclusive "colorable" tag, make it an exclusive "non-colorable" tag. Limiting to specific equipment puts a lot of work on the developers to keep the system worthwhile, as well as limiting creativity for players and overall perceived value in the item.