[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.248 - Strawberry Farm Festival Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Please keep P2W out of Reboot

Comments

  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    quite honestly, it'd be a more prevalent issue if there were a damage cap, paying for stats in a limitless cap isnt much to be concerned about
  • SealSeal
    Reactions: 1,310
    Posts: 79
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Support. Do not want the Re:Zero boxes available for NX because it gives an advantage to paying players making in P2W thus defeating the purpose of Reboot.
  • SealSeal
    Reactions: 1,310
    Posts: 79
    Member
    edited May 2017
    the difference is, reboot is a server, re zero update is an event

    having meso sacks for nx would defeat the purpose of the server, so i commend the community for raising awareness. as far as this coming event goes we have to wait to see

    Having Re:Zero boxes available for NX will also defeat the purpose of Reboot because it allows paying players more changes of obtaining the medals. Although it might not drastically affect Reboot as a temporary event versus a permanent addition like the mesos sacks would have, it will discourage players who solely joined Reboot for being P2W free. I disagree that this will be a one-time occurrence, because in the end some users on Reboot will buy the Re:Zero boxes for NX and Nexon will translate this as being acceptable. It might be "okay" now, but if Nexon continues to release these type of events, the paying privilege will only become more apparent and drive players away. So it'll become P2W, only at a slower pace.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Seal wrote: »
    the difference is, reboot is a server, re zero update is an event

    having meso sacks for nx would defeat the purpose of the server, so i commend the community for raising awareness. as far as this coming event goes we have to wait to see

    Having Re:Zero boxes available for NX will also defeat the purpose of Reboot because it allows paying players more changes of obtaining the medals. Although it might not drastically affect Reboot as a temporary event versus a permanent addition like the mesos sacks would have, it will discourage players who solely joined Reboot for being P2W free. I disagree that this will be a one-time occurrence, because in the end some users on Reboot will buy the Re:Zero boxes for NX and Nexon will translate this as being acceptable. It might be "okay" now, but if Nexon continues to release these type of events, the paying privilege will only become more apparent and drive players away. So it'll become P2W, only at a slower pace.

    i highly doubt it, quite honestly. Not enough evidence to support the claim that reboot will become a p2w server from this one event.
  • DaxiDaxi
    Reactions: 1,800
    Posts: 141
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    i highly doubt it, quite honestly. Not enough evidence to support the claim that reboot will become a p2w server from this one event.

    Any amount of P2W, even a "1 time P2W" is too much P2W for me.

    I like to be efficient, if I want to be efficient I have to use P2W features where available. It's the reason I stopped playing regular servers in the first place.

    I can't be certain that this thread is representative of the Reboot community, but a clear majority so far are against P2W being introduced into Reboot.

    I know personally I would rather not have the boxes at all then have the option to buy them with NX.

    I hope I don't have to stop playing Maplestory all together, but I'm not sure P2W, even as a 1 off is something I can accept.
    quite honestly, it'd be a more prevalent issue if there were a damage cap, paying for stats in a limitless cap isnt much to be concerned about

    The main issue for me is the XP boost Medal, I'm going for 10k Union so will need up to 39 of them if I am going to continue to be efficient.
    Tashie
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Daxi wrote: »
    i highly doubt it, quite honestly. Not enough evidence to support the claim that reboot will become a p2w server from this one event.

    Any amount of P2W, even a "1 time P2W" is too much P2W for me.

    I like to be efficient, if I want to be efficient I have to use P2W features where available. It's the reason I stopped playing regular servers in the first place.

    I can't be certain that this thread is representative of the Reboot community, but a clear majority so far are against P2W being introduced into Reboot.

    I know personally I would rather not have the boxes at all then have the option to buy them with NX.

    I hope I don't have to stop playing Maplestory all together, but I'm not sure P2W, even as a 1 off is something I can accept.
    quite honestly, it'd be a more prevalent issue if there were a damage cap, paying for stats in a limitless cap isnt much to be concerned about

    The main issue for me is the XP boost Medal, I'm going for 10k Union so will need up to 39 of them if I am going to continue to be efficient.

    I personally dont care if anyone gains advantage, theres no actual end game to this game. Theres no time limit to reach the potential youre aiming to get. Id say it's jealousy that makes people throw a fit about these things. Id say it's a blessing that we even get to get things for nx, especially exp boosters. Exp boosters are just a way to level faster, by no means gains you advantage. Doesnt matter when you get to the level you want to get, the point is you got there.

    because what exactly are you winning in this case of paying?
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Daxi wrote: »
    i highly doubt it, quite honestly. Not enough evidence to support the claim that reboot will become a p2w server from this one event.

    Any amount of P2W, even a "1 time P2W" is too much P2W for me.

    I like to be efficient, if I want to be efficient I have to use P2W features where available. It's the reason I stopped playing regular servers in the first place.

    I can't be certain that this thread is representative of the Reboot community, but a clear majority so far are against P2W being introduced into Reboot.

    I know personally I would rather not have the boxes at all then have the option to buy them with NX.

    I hope I don't have to stop playing Maplestory all together, but I'm not sure P2W, even as a 1 off is something I can accept.
    quite honestly, it'd be a more prevalent issue if there were a damage cap, paying for stats in a limitless cap isnt much to be concerned about

    The main issue for me is the XP boost Medal, I'm going for 10k Union so will need up to 39 of them if I am going to continue to be efficient.

    I just see that people are afraid of change, you want them to say oh these people arent even grateful for the content we provide, we will no longer have these events. it's good to change things up a bit, even if theyre impermanent
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    Posts: 884
    Member
    edited May 2017
    I personally dont care if anyone gains advantage, theres no actual end game to this game. Theres no time limit to reach the potential youre aiming to get. Id say it's jealousy that makes people throw a fit about these things. Id say it's a blessing that we even get to get things for nx, especially exp boosters. Exp boosters are just a way to level faster, by no means gains you advantage. Doesnt matter when you get to the level you want to get, the point is you got there.

    because what exactly are you winning in this case of paying?

    I honestly find the term "winning" quite an over-exaggerated response, if anyone is winning it's Nexon.

    The main problem with 1 item with stats that out-rivals other items is the attainability. If the best item in-game can only be obtained for NX destroys the fundamental concept of GMS Reboot at its core: to not be able to use NX for a chance at higher stats.

    In the long run it does matter. A good example would be a Tyrant Cape. A majority of people won't get even close to 15 or 10 stars. However in Non-reboot worlds you can simply have some No-Boom Advanced Equip Enhancement Scrolls buy an unlimited amount of Guardian Scrolls for NX. The free-to-play Non-Rebooters are only allowed to buy 2 Guardians per month. The point to get there is an enormous gap between free-to-play and paying players.

    Sure, maybe you don't care. But the fact that most of new content favors those with the best equipment or who has money to dish out bothers me, and many others.
    I just see that people are afraid of change, you want them to say oh these people arent even grateful for the content we provide, we will no longer have these events. it's good to change things up a bit, even if theyre impermanent

    People may be afraid of change, that's true. But not all change is for the better. People are not concerned about the box or event as a whole. But the attainability of the medals. I honestly believe that those medals should be obtainable free in-game and not through NX regardless Reboot or Non-Reboot.
    Seal
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Posts: 6,340
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    @DarkPassenger , if you don't think there's any "winning" in Maple, then obviously you won't understand the idea of "pay2win" and the whole reason Reboot was created in the first place.

    Reboot was created because people who do feel there is "winning" in maple - be it by getting to the top of the rankings or by defeating more bosses before anyone else - were angry that paying more money meant "winning" the game more. Reboot was set up with its primary premise being "no advantage by paying". This is what people went there for. This is what people, who had quit the game in disgust at the pay2win, came back for.
    Giving even a tiny advantage to paying players, breaks this. It's not a matter of "being afraid of change". This isn't like revamping a class or an area in the game. It's a matter of breaking the very principle Reboot was created for.
    Its2Sharp4U
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    I personally dont care if anyone gains advantage, theres no actual end game to this game. Theres no time limit to reach the potential youre aiming to get. Id say it's jealousy that makes people throw a fit about these things. Id say it's a blessing that we even get to get things for nx, especially exp boosters. Exp boosters are just a way to level faster, by no means gains you advantage. Doesnt matter when you get to the level you want to get, the point is you got there.

    because what exactly are you winning in this case of paying?

    I honestly find the term "winning" quite an over-exaggerated response, if anyone is winning it's Nexon.

    The main problem with 1 item with stats that out-rivals other items is the attainability. If the best item in-game can only be obtained for NX destroys the fundamental concept of GMS Reboot at its core: to not be able to use NX for a chance at higher stats.

    In the long run it does matter. A good example would be a Tyrant Cape. A majority of people won't get even close to 15 or 10 stars. However in Non-reboot worlds you can simply have some No-Boom Advanced Equip Enhancement Scrolls buy an unlimited amount of Guardian Scrolls for NX. The free-to-play Non-Rebooters are only allowed to buy 2 Guardians per month. The point to get there is an enormous gap between free-to-play and paying players.

    Sure, maybe you don't care. But the fact that most of new content favors those with the best equipment or who has money to dish out bothers me, and many others.
    I just see that people are afraid of change, you want them to say oh these people arent even grateful for the content we provide, we will no longer have these events. it's good to change things up a bit, even if theyre impermanent

    People may be afraid of change, that's true. But not all change is for the better. People are not concerned about the box or event as a whole. But the attainability of the medals. I honestly believe that those medals should be obtainable free in-game and not through NX regardless Reboot or Non-Reboot.

    equal opportunity doesnt mean youll yield equal results. I personally dont invest much money on nx but i can understand why theyre doing this, and it will by no means lead to reboot being a nx cash oriented server, thats why im speaking out against those falling into the hysteria of reboot becoming a pay to win server.

    put it this way, you buy a pet to gain advantage as a means not to press pick up all the time right? so does that mean youre paying to win just cause you have a pet?
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    @DarkPassenger , if you don't think there's any "winning" in Maple, then obviously you won't understand the idea of "pay2win" and the whole reason Reboot was created in the first place.

    Reboot was created because people who do feel there is "winning" in maple - be it by getting to the top of the rankings or by defeating more bosses before anyone else - were angry that paying more money meant "winning" the game more. Reboot was set up with its primary premise being "no advantage by paying". This is what people went there for. This is what people, who had quit the game in disgust at the pay2win, came back for.
    Giving even a tiny advantage to paying players, breaks this. It's not a matter of "being afraid of change". This isn't like revamping a class or an area in the game. It's a matter of breaking the very principle Reboot was created for.

    there is no winning, the only thing paying does it shortens the time spent on developing your character, at the end of the day everyone logs off and everyone logs on, everyone can get banned and everyone complies with the rules, everyone has an equal chance to fight against bosses and everyone has a chance to defeat the bosses. the main thing that generates advantage is the cubing of equipment, and those are already paid for by mesos.

    I know why reboot was created, it's in the name reboot. The big picture of it all, is that reboot is the biggest meso sink there is. and it still is the biggest meso sink, and it will continue to be a meso sink even with the rezero event. people are getting caught up in the smaller details but at the end of the day reboot still sinks mesos from other servers rebooters arent playing on. we get to play on the server but the server is there to deflate the rest of the servers. at least from an economic stand point.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Posts: 6,340
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    @DarkPassenger , if you don't think there's any "winning" in Maple, then obviously you won't understand the idea of "pay2win" and the whole reason Reboot was created in the first place.

    Reboot was created because people who do feel there is "winning" in maple - be it by getting to the top of the rankings or by defeating more bosses before anyone else - were angry that paying more money meant "winning" the game more. Reboot was set up with its primary premise being "no advantage by paying". This is what people went there for. This is what people, who had quit the game in disgust at the pay2win, came back for.
    Giving even a tiny advantage to paying players, breaks this. It's not a matter of "being afraid of change". This isn't like revamping a class or an area in the game. It's a matter of breaking the very principle Reboot was created for.

    there is no winning, the only thing paying does it shortens the time spent on developing your character, at the end of the day everyone logs off and everyone logs on, everyone can get banned and everyone complies with the rules, everyone has an equal chance to fight against bosses and everyone has a chance to defeat the bosses. the main thing that generates advantage is the cubing of equipment, and those are already paid for by mesos.

    I know why reboot was created, it's in the name reboot. The big picture of it all, is that reboot is the biggest meso sink there is. and it still is the biggest meso sink, and it will continue to be a meso sink even with the rezero event. people are getting caught up in the smaller details but at the end of the day reboot still sinks mesos from other servers rebooters arent playing on. we get to play on the server but the server is there to deflate the rest of the servers. at least from an economic stand point.

    Are you trying to say Reboot was created because the other servers were too crowded?
    Because that's what it means to say "reboot still sinks mesos from other servers rebooters aren't playing on".
    And that's patently absurd.
    Reboot was created to attract the people who complained of pay2win, pure and simple.
    Since you don't believe "pay2win" exists, you are obviously not the intended target audience.

    Yes, there are Rebooters who are there because they don't want to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for cubes, but would like to drop $10 here or there for a 2x card or an event medal, but they are not who the server was made for. And they don't understand the strong emotions those of us who know the history have about Nexon's slippery-slope tendencies. The normal servers also only had "little paid advantages" like pets, and 2x cards, and gachapon, and... until it became impossible to get anywhere without paying Nexon the price of a small car.
    Nexon has been slowly reversing that trend, even in the non-Reboot servers, and I hope the meso market works well in GMS and helps even the field even more.
    But Reboot must not be allowed to replay the history of the other servers. It must stay strictly "no advantage by paying" or it has no justification to exist.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    AKradian wrote: »
    @DarkPassenger , if you don't think there's any "winning" in Maple, then obviously you won't understand the idea of "pay2win" and the whole reason Reboot was created in the first place.

    Reboot was created because people who do feel there is "winning" in maple - be it by getting to the top of the rankings or by defeating more bosses before anyone else - were angry that paying more money meant "winning" the game more. Reboot was set up with its primary premise being "no advantage by paying". This is what people went there for. This is what people, who had quit the game in disgust at the pay2win, came back for.
    Giving even a tiny advantage to paying players, breaks this. It's not a matter of "being afraid of change". This isn't like revamping a class or an area in the game. It's a matter of breaking the very principle Reboot was created for.

    there is no winning, the only thing paying does it shortens the time spent on developing your character, at the end of the day everyone logs off and everyone logs on, everyone can get banned and everyone complies with the rules, everyone has an equal chance to fight against bosses and everyone has a chance to defeat the bosses. the main thing that generates advantage is the cubing of equipment, and those are already paid for by mesos.

    I know why reboot was created, it's in the name reboot. The big picture of it all, is that reboot is the biggest meso sink there is. and it still is the biggest meso sink, and it will continue to be a meso sink even with the rezero event. people are getting caught up in the smaller details but at the end of the day reboot still sinks mesos from other servers rebooters arent playing on. we get to play on the server but the server is there to deflate the rest of the servers. at least from an economic stand point.

    Are you trying to say Reboot was created because the other servers were too crowded?
    Because that's what it means to say "reboot still sinks mesos from other servers rebooters aren't playing on".
    And that's patently absurd.
    Reboot was created to attract the people who complained of pay2win, pure and simple.
    Since you don't believe "pay2win" exists, you are obviously not the intended target audience.

    Yes, there are Rebooters who are there because they don't want to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for cubes, but would like to drop $10 here or there for a 2x card or an event medal, but they are not who the server was made for. And they don't understand the strong emotions those of us who know the history have about Nexon's slippery-slope tendencies. The normal servers also only had "little paid advantages" like pets, and 2x cards, and gachapon, and... until it became impossible to get anywhere without paying Nexon the price of a small car.
    Nexon has been slowly reversing that trend, even in the non-Reboot servers, and I hope the meso market works well in GMS and helps even the field even more.
    But Reboot must not be allowed to replay the history of the other servers. It must stay strictly "no advantage by paying" or it has no justification to exist.

    theres a difference between an inflated economy and a crowded server, quote where i said it has to do with population.

    let me explain exactly what a meso sink is, a meso sink is a system or tool that deflates currency. should it be transaction tax or a means to deflate prices by drawing players to another server where there is no market and simply uses recurring mesos.

    a high density of players doesnt necessarily mean an inflated economy, the demand of those players is what determines it, by funneling players out of a pay to win server into a server like reboot, the demand for exaggerated priced equipment decreases by % because there supplies remain constant.

    i would say pay to win only applies to competitive games, theres no major league gaming for a game like this, nx items is more like the equivalent to dlc.

    heres an even simpler explanation, exhibit a, me, say I play on windia and i need to generate tons of mesos to buy equipment to be well on my way, id have to generate over 10bil for even a single item, in most cases people resot to 3rd party illegal stuff like mesos online, which creates a bigger meso hole, now that multi billion mesos hole is in the game, and when i buy the items, someone on the other end has those mesos, those mesos are passed around the game until they become decimals, now one situation wouldnt be so trivial right? but in a densly populated server like windia used to be, this occurred server wide, that is until reboot came to be, suddenly even the third party meso vendors lowered their prices because the value of mesos was successfully deflated. To the point where now people sell stuff for real money, that changed now with the auction house, which is stabilizing the economy.

    so yes, reboot is a tool to draw out mesos from being generated in other servers,
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    AKradian wrote: »
    @DarkPassenger , if you don't think there's any "winning" in Maple, then obviously you won't understand the idea of "pay2win" and the whole reason Reboot was created in the first place.

    Reboot was created because people who do feel there is "winning" in maple - be it by getting to the top of the rankings or by defeating more bosses before anyone else - were angry that paying more money meant "winning" the game more. Reboot was set up with its primary premise being "no advantage by paying". This is what people went there for. This is what people, who had quit the game in disgust at the pay2win, came back for.
    Giving even a tiny advantage to paying players, breaks this. It's not a matter of "being afraid of change". This isn't like revamping a class or an area in the game. It's a matter of breaking the very principle Reboot was created for.

    there is no winning, the only thing paying does it shortens the time spent on developing your character, at the end of the day everyone logs off and everyone logs on, everyone can get banned and everyone complies with the rules, everyone has an equal chance to fight against bosses and everyone has a chance to defeat the bosses. the main thing that generates advantage is the cubing of equipment, and those are already paid for by mesos.

    I know why reboot was created, it's in the name reboot. The big picture of it all, is that reboot is the biggest meso sink there is. and it still is the biggest meso sink, and it will continue to be a meso sink even with the rezero event. people are getting caught up in the smaller details but at the end of the day reboot still sinks mesos from other servers rebooters arent playing on. we get to play on the server but the server is there to deflate the rest of the servers. at least from an economic stand point.

    Are you trying to say Reboot was created because the other servers were too crowded?
    Because that's what it means to say "reboot still sinks mesos from other servers rebooters aren't playing on".
    And that's patently absurd.
    Reboot was created to attract the people who complained of pay2win, pure and simple.
    Since you don't believe "pay2win" exists, you are obviously not the intended target audience.

    Yes, there are Rebooters who are there because they don't want to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars for cubes, but would like to drop $10 here or there for a 2x card or an event medal, but they are not who the server was made for. And they don't understand the strong emotions those of us who know the history have about Nexon's slippery-slope tendencies. The normal servers also only had "little paid advantages" like pets, and 2x cards, and gachapon, and... until it became impossible to get anywhere without paying Nexon the price of a small car.
    Nexon has been slowly reversing that trend, even in the non-Reboot servers, and I hope the meso market works well in GMS and helps even the field even more.
    But Reboot must not be allowed to replay the history of the other servers. It must stay strictly "no advantage by paying" or it has no justification to exist.

    it all depends on what you mean by advantage, to me a boost in exp isnt an advantage. if i dont have the means, then ill be more diligent in my training.
    if i dont have a good item with stats, ill make sure to compensate with another item and make it equal or better.

    if youre stuck on trivial things like, oh theres going to be boxes being sold for nx and not mesos which defeats the purpose of reboot, and now reboot is paytowin.

    youre over complicating things for yourself because as of this moment it's grasping at straws. youre reaching a conclusion without going through the experimental phase.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    until the day comes when this game has a clear end point and paying real money lets you reach that end point, thats when there will be such thing as pay to win in maplestory.
  • DaxiDaxi
    Reactions: 1,800
    Posts: 141
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Why did you quote me twice in 2 replies back to back? I hope you don't mind if I only reply in 1. :)
    I personally dont care if anyone gains advantage, theres no actual end game to this game. Theres no time limit to reach the potential youre aiming to get. Id say it's jealousy that makes people throw a fit about these things. Id say it's a blessing that we even get to get things for nx, especially exp boosters. Exp boosters are just a way to level faster, by no means gains you advantage. Doesnt matter when you get to the level you want to get, the point is you got there.

    because what exactly are you winning in this case of paying?

    While I appreciate that you might not personally care about something, everyone else so far has cared about this enough to leave their support. Your person beliefs don't invalidate ours (just like ours don't invalidate yours).

    Reboot has no xp boosters, we would be against them also. If I wanted to be able to buy my way ahead I wouldn't be playing Reboot, I would be playing on a regular server.

    I play competitively, if someone can pay money to be able to do something faster then me they have absolutely paid for an advantage.. By definition.
    I just see that people are afraid of change, you want them to say oh these people arent even grateful for the content we provide, we will no longer have these events. it's good to change things up a bit, even if theyre impermanent

    Would personally be happy not having the event at all if it means no P2W, no event would be preferable.

    If it's simply a case of Nexon needing more money to operate Reboot then I believe they could find other ways to make profit that wont upset people as much.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    Daxi wrote: »
    Why did you quote me twice in 2 replies back to back? I hope you don't mind if I only reply in 1. :)
    I personally dont care if anyone gains advantage, theres no actual end game to this game. Theres no time limit to reach the potential youre aiming to get. Id say it's jealousy that makes people throw a fit about these things. Id say it's a blessing that we even get to get things for nx, especially exp boosters. Exp boosters are just a way to level faster, by no means gains you advantage. Doesnt matter when you get to the level you want to get, the point is you got there.

    because what exactly are you winning in this case of paying?

    While I appreciate that you might not personally care about something, everyone else so far has cared about this enough to leave their support. Your person beliefs don't invalidate ours (just like ours don't invalidate yours).

    Reboot has no xp boosters, we would be against them also. If I wanted to be able to buy my way ahead I wouldn't be playing Reboot, I would be playing on a regular server.

    I play competitively, if someone can pay money to be able to do something faster then me they have absolutely paid for an advantage.. By definition.
    I just see that people are afraid of change, you want them to say oh these people arent even grateful for the content we provide, we will no longer have these events. it's good to change things up a bit, even if theyre impermanent

    Would personally be happy not having the event at all if it means no P2W, no event would be preferable.

    perhaps expectations of the game is where the difference lies, I dont see how this game can be competitively played. I dont see the getting ahead aspect when everyone whether they pay for stuff or not eventually reach that destination since theres no time limits on reaching a certain level or a certain damage range. Theres no really getting ahead when the maple road keeps going.
  • DaxiDaxi
    Reactions: 1,800
    Posts: 141
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    perhaps expectations of the game is where the difference lies, I dont see how this game can be competitively played. I dont see the getting ahead aspect when everyone whether they pay for stuff or not eventually reach that destination since theres no time limits on reaching a certain level or a certain damage range. Theres no really getting ahead when the maple road keeps going.
    there is no winning,

    Leaderboard and ingame rankings disagree with you. I basically only play games for leaderboards, rankings and competition.

    I don't even care about bosses and damage. I don't play games against myself to "progress at my own pace", I play Maplestory 14-18+ hours a day in order to win.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    Posts: 2,669
    Member
    edited May 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    Daxi wrote: »
    perhaps expectations of the game is where the difference lies, I dont see how this game can be competitively played. I dont see the getting ahead aspect when everyone whether they pay for stuff or not eventually reach that destination since theres no time limits on reaching a certain level or a certain damage range. Theres no really getting ahead when the maple road keeps going.
    there is no winning,

    Leaderboard and ingame rankings disagree with you. I basically only play games for leaderboards, rankings and competition.

    I don't even care about bosses and damage. I don't play games against myself to "progress at my own pace", I play Maplestory 14-18+ hours a day in order to win.

    I would have to agree with Daxi; Maple is by nature pretty competitive; Dojo ranking, Lvl Leaderboards, Guild have ranks, etc.
    Players also talk about "Hey, did you hear X can clear Z boss in Y minutes?"

    Also, Union (The new update) has rankings also - based on how much damage you do to the boss. So if somebody gets 5% more exp on every character because they bought it via this event - it would provide a significant lead over others.

    all that wouldve been significant before the damage cap was even 2mil, way before. In the evolved state the game is, saying someone can clear a boss in a certain amount of time is pretty much small now. Look at all the youtube videos of countless maplers doing y boss in z minutes as you state. as far as ranking, it doesnt serve a purpose as much as just "bragging" rights, and even then it is short lived. if you take the game that seriously as to mention rankings and leaderboards, you should be ready to adapt to a change that is most probable not even permanent. dojo isnt even a good example as it resets every week and many just do the 1st stage for the points.
  • StargethStargeth
    Reactions: 2,680
    Posts: 82
    Member
    edited May 2017
    @DarkPassenger: I think you're missing the point that others are trying to make. They are trying to say that any paid advantage, no matter how small, is an unfair advantage in Reboot for those who do not pay up. And that is the sole fundamental reason Reboot was created. That is a fact that is inarguable.

    Now, maybe the competition and marginal value for the BiS does not matter to you personally, but that still does not change the fact that it IS an unfair advantage, and to some people competition means a lot. Especially so in Reboot. You look at the World Records for the Olympics and sometimes the new one is set by a few hundredths of a second, yet people still go crazy and celebrate cause it's a new World Record. This is a similar parallel to how some Maplers feel about records and competition.

    What if Olympic runners could pay a million dollars and get a .1 second head-start? 100 milliseconds might not sound like a lot, but I bet the runners would be willing to pay up for that, and it creates an unfair advantage for anyone who isn't able to pay up. Whether or not you personally would pay up or not or even care about the marginal difference, it means a lot to those runners.

    ---

    As for the original topic, I honestly hope Nexon doesn't bring the medals into Reboot period, but in the very worst case scenario, I hope they make the boxes available for mesos only.