[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Old Maplestory memories

NeoTokyoDudeNeoTokyoDude
Reactions: 1,240
edited August 2019 in General Chat
I would like to ask about in what year can we expect the rules to be changed but I do not have confidence in getting an answer so I have nothing more to say about that.

At least it is still allowed to reminisce about Old Maplestory but to be honest, doing so just makes me a little sad. I legit feel sorry for new players because there is an experience with the game that cannot be reproduced right now. Sure people can play recreations here and there but those of us who played early Maple had a unique moment in time and relationship with the game and the company and the staff which operated it. Even if I imagined myself to be a person who hated everything about Old Maple from the moment of signing in, looking back today I would appreciate all of that time.

Did people like it for the community? (Sure) did they like it because of gameplay or as a chance to go solo? (Sure) And any number of a never ending list of things? Yup, its all true. As someone who started long before the Big bang and continued playing on and off until well after the BB, I will say that it would be a super sad ending to see the legacy of Maple only exist with veterans. Certainly, I can tell a newcomer about the past but games are an interactive medium and its really better for each player to see stuff with their own eyes and keyboard. I think it would be a waste but I have spoken my peace.

Moving on to something more cheerful, I am very grateful and full of thanks to have had the opportunity to cross paths with Old Maplestory. Whatever happens, I was simply happy to just be here.

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited August 2019
    gqnQaNm.png

Bugger off. It's been four years and you refuse to clue in to both the fact that absolutely nobody gives a damn about this, and that YOU ALONE were the root cause for the rule being implemented. Did you forget that? Shall I jog your memory?
    lordtrist
  • NeoTokyoDudeNeoTokyoDude
    edited August 2019
    I am 100% ok to engage with individuals (such as yourself) whom do not share the same opinion as myself. Didn't the adult figures in your life teach you about tolerance or manners? Ahh well, I could give you a lecture or explain about taking things out of context but for me its not an issue. As I said, I did not have any expectation to have all people agree, hold hands and sing songs together. Actually I am quite proud of the efforts that I and others attempted in that endeavor. Save images of as many threads as you like, I regret nothing.
    WONDERGUYBulbasaur
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited August 2019
    cEePGmd.png

1n7JdEW.png

You exhausted any tolerance I may have had for you years ago.
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited August 2019
    Pikamemnon, is that you?
    edited August 2019
    For Aggraphine: I'm not really sure what you are upset about? The rule that you quoted says that making threads asking about making an Old Maple server is not allowed. It also clearly states that nostalgia based threads are permitted. If you dislike talking about Old Maple then I am ok with that. I am not exactly sure why you would want to keep reminding me about that but I have no complaints. Come to think of it, you showing me pics of Old Maple threads gives me more nostalgia so I guess maybe I should be saying thanks?
    PirateIzzy wrote: »
    Pikamemnon, is that you?
    According to the rules of internet, I would never admit that even if it were true. Although I can say that there are many players who do not have representation or a voice on this topic. (due to a fear of bullying, etc) You might also be surprised to learn that the person you mentioned is not the most extreme supporter of Old Maplestory in the forgotten community.

However I do recognize your screen name (from Pre Big bang maybe?) so perhaps you would be willing to share some insight on this scenario? What are your thoughts on player to game to company to community relations? Compared to Old Maplestory that is? And what do you think about the rule itself? (without violating it, if at all possible)

As Aggraphine said, I was at ground zero when the wildly unfair rule came into existence. I did try everything that I could think of to get whoever runs the forums to reconsider but as you can see, years later nothing happened. When something like that takes place without any warning at all, what can a player a do? I would hope it still gets debated internally but like I said in the opening, I don't really have confidence in that department. Not that I would not like to, just that its something I learned through experience. I don't have a big interest in re-litigating the case but since the other user brought it up, I felt the need to set the record straight. I've already said what I wanted to on the subject so the rest is up to the staff to decide what they would like to do.

I'm not sure how often you visited the official forums over the years but the Old Maple players fought hard. I witnessed some of that and they tried so much, for a cause which they believed in. Regardless of how practical or impractical their request was, I would be glad to stand next to any one of them anytime.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2019
    You know, it's so sad that nobody will ever get to experience Beatlemania again.

The Beatles' music is still available, and there are videos too, but none of that can give one the true feeling of what it was like.
    Even if science advances and they manage to clone the Beatles, it won't be the same.
    Heck, even if time-travel is invented and people can transport themselves back to that time and place, it still wouldn't be the same, because the people being transported will have different memories and life-experiences than the people born back then who lived through it.

Some people today, old and young, still love the Beatles. And some can't see what the big deal was. But even those who lived through the Beatlemania, can never go back and feel it again. So sad.

And so it is with everything. Talk to your parents or grandparents sometimes, hear of the things they got to experience, good or bad, and know that you will never feel the exact same things. Nor will they ever experience those same things in the same way again. Time only moves forward. Accept it, and move on.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited August 2019
    AKradian wrote: »
    You know, it's so sad that nobody will ever get to experience Beatlemania again.

The Beatles' music is still available, and there are videos too, but none of that can give one the true feeling of what it was like.
    Even if science advances and they manage to clone the Beatles, it won't be the same.
    Heck, even if time-travel is invented and people can transport themselves back to that time and place, it still wouldn't be the same, because the people being transported will have different memories and life-experiences than the people born back then who lived through it.

Some people today, old and young, still love the Beatles. And some can't see what the big deal was. But even those who lived through the Beatlemania, can never go back and feel it again. So sad.

And so it is with everything. Talk to your parents or grandparents sometimes, hear of the things they got to experience, good or bad, and know that you will never feel the exact same things. Nor will they ever experience those same things in the same way again. Time only moves forward. Accept it, and move on.

He won't though, and all of us that were around on the old forums know it. Ever since the rule was put into place solely because of him, he's failed to see that he was, and still remains, the problem. All he's done since the rules were amended quickly after this became the "new forums" is pop in once a year(or once per community manager) and lament the unfairness of certain forum rules and wondering publicly how long until the forum rules can be revised. He has a one-track mind, and that track is "old maple". He often thought himself clever and gifted in the arts of subterfuge and would try to beat around the bush, but the problem is the bush was always on fire and he was skirting it while holding a gas can and a box of matches.

As I said before, any tolerance I may've had for him was exhausted years ago, when he made it crystal clear that no answer but "yes we will do this" will satisfy him, that he has no machinations beyond "I want a legacy server and nexon should do it".

@NTD: As I've said numerous times in the past, the "no threads about old maple" rule was put into place specifically, if not solely, because of you, anyone with eyes could see it. I hold onto the hope that someday you'll stumble across a modicum of introspection and realize this, and change yourself for the better.
    edited August 2019

I found this kind of nice to be honest except for the ending. Of course it goes without saying that each individual decides on their own terms when and how to move on. Can you imagine approaching a well known Beatles fan and telling them that they should move on from the thing that they like? I wonder what kind of reaction would come of that? If nostalgia threads are supposed to be allowed then I think you may have to give yourself an infraction for that one. (I am just being completely honest here and I mean that in the kindest way possible) Well I mean, here on these forums you have been around and already have some idea of how I feel about the topic. Its one thing to have the rule for a "good" reason but it is something else to keep it simply to trouble a certain segment of the population. And I believe you saw some of my efforts to explain and try to make it right? Ultimately its the decision of whoever runs the forums to decide, I have already spoken about it to the best of my ability.

I'm sure you could speak with your associates or whoever but I gave it my utmost effort. If things like this can go down and without proper warning even then it is what it is. For future reference, I would just need to be more careful in certain situations. Although this is not what I made the thread for, its really more geared for nostalgia and looking back at events with hindsight in mind.

Aggraphine wrote: »
    If you are going to play stalker with me then the least you could do is get the facts right. Previously I stated that I would be satisfied if the rule about Old Maplestory was removed or adjusted. I also previously mentioned that I did not have plans to make a lot more threads on the topic myself even if the rule did go down. I stand by the words that I already typed.
  • TwilightHimeTwilightHime
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited August 2019
    Its one thing to have the rule for a "good" reason but it is something else to keep it simply to trouble a certain segment of the population

This is because their stance likely is "it's never going to happen, no matter how much you beg for it" so they don't want you to waste your time petitioning it in the first place. It'd be more troubling to have people spend lots of time writing long posts, going around raising money to get shirts and hats, having people sign petitions, only to be told it's not going to happen.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited August 2019
    If you are going to play stalker with me then the least you could do is get the facts right. Previously I stated that I would be satisfied if the rule about Old Maplestory was removed or adjusted. I also previously mentioned that I did not have plans to make a lot more threads on the topic myself even if the rule did go down. I stand by the words that I already typed.

Cut the garbage. We all know why you want the rule "adjusted" or removed. You think you're being clever but you really, truly, are not. You come around once per community manager to try and get the rule removed so that you can go back to your old ways of inundating the forums with endless talk of legacy servers.

Here is why I think this, in a small, curated list:

Every single one of these threads that you've started pertains to the very same thing. You can sit here and try to spin lies about how every one of those threads totally isn't about old maple or wanting a legacy server, but it's not going to change reality.

You are not fooling anyone other than yourself.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2019
    I found this kind of nice to be honest except for the ending. Of course it goes without saying that each individual decides on their own terms when and how to move on. Can you imagine approaching a well known Beatles fan and telling them that they should move on from the thing that they like? I wonder what kind of reaction would come of that?

Well-known Beatles fans don't keep coming to music or record label forums saying "younger people need to be given a way to experience the Beatles as they were in the 1960's."
    Because well-known, or even obscure, Beatles fans realize that that is impossible. So they enjoy the recordings, and enjoy tribute bands, and enjoy talking to other Beatles fans about how things used to be. Without asking for the impossible. And mostly without annoying the younger generation with constant "the Beatles were better than the stuff of today." (Those that do try that, get flamed ... just like you.)
    Its one thing to have the rule for a "good" reason but it is something else to keep it simply to trouble a certain segment of the population.

The reason is to prevent certain people from troubling the rest of the population.
    I'm sure you could speak with your associates or whoever but I gave it my utmost effort. If things like this can go down and without proper warning even then it is what it is.

There was plenty of warning. You were asked to stop countless times. And you just kept coming back with what might have seemed to you like a completely different take on things, but to everyone else it was the same old "bring back old maplestory".

@Aggraphine:
    The correct way to deal with this thread would have been report and move on. Do not engage, because you know from previous experience exactly how that would go.
    Nostalgia threads are allowed. Personal attacks are not.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited August 2019
    @Aggraphine:
    The correct way to deal with this thread would have been report and move on. Do not engage, because you know from previous experience exactly how that would go.
    Nostalgia threads are allowed. Personal attacks are not.

I did report it. Last night. I understand that nostalgia threads are allowed, but you and I both know his MO. He tries to be clever about it and act vague about things while lamenting "the forum rules" and expressing an ambiguous desire for "certain parts" to be changed. Anyone familiar with him will read between the lines and see what he's trying to say.

As for you, neo. What doesn't help you is that you've taken to completely disappearing for a year or more at a time, only popping out of the cracks when you catch wind that a new community manager has been cycled in and immediately coming back to talk about forum rules and nostalgia again. For anyone that knows how you've been in the past, you could not possibly be any more transparent in your intent.

If you want some advice on the matter, though I doubt you'll actually take it, it would be to just stop with this. I don't care if you want to involve yourself in forum things, I'm not trying to push you out from that. But you seem incapable of talking about anything but nostalgia and days gone by. I can't make it clear enough for you that no one is interested in constant talks about nostalgia.

Look at the forums for a moment before you start banging your head against the same old wall, you won't see a single nostalgia thread, not even a single "I miss the old days" post. You'll see people with questions about the game, people talking about events or, more commonly, pitching a fit because nexon can't seem to sort out the dumpster fire that is their game.

The point I'm trying to make is talk about other things for once. As it stands right now, anyone who knows you from the old forums still associates your name with "that guy who won't shut up about old maple". Stick around, talk about other things, take part in things; don't just hop in for three days, gripe about the rules remaining the same as during your last visit before disappearing again.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2019
    May I suggest going to the comments of www.facebook.com/maplestory posts if you want to circle-jerk about the "good old days" and gush about previous versions. It's all people do there. You'll fit right in and afaik there's no rule against it there, yet.
    edited August 2019
    Its one thing to have the rule for a "good" reason but it is something else to keep it simply to trouble a certain segment of the population

This is because their stance likely is "it's never going to happen, no matter how much you beg for it" so they don't want you to waste your time petitioning it in the first place. It'd be more troubling to have people spend lots of time writing long posts, going around raising money to get shirts and hats, having people sign petitions, only to be told it's not going to happen.
    Would it be unprofessional if I gave you a hug? I am so glad that someone asked this even if the line of reasoning ends sadly. I considered the possibility that they simply cannot do it for whatever reason. If it was the case that the probability to make it happen actually became zero percent then they would only need to say so and give some explanation. If that had happened then I suppose it would save time for everybody.

In reality what occurred is that no one was able to get an answer no matter what. In other words, nobody knows even to this day. (at least not publicly) Which I actually do not have an issue with but long story short. If what you are saying is true then having the Old Maple rule is doing people a favor. It tells everyone that comes this way that they should steer clear if Old Maple is their interest. I could say more about what this implies but its already a sad enough ending as is.

Aggraphine wrote: »
    Thankyou, that is some good nostalgia. Please Aggraphine, show me more of the good stuff. Just the way I like it.

Well-known Beatles fans don't keep coming to music or record label forums saying "younger people need to be given a way to experience the Beatles as they were in the 1960's."
    Because well-known, or even obscure, Beatles fans realize that that is impossible. So they enjoy the recordings, and enjoy tribute bands, and enjoy talking to other Beatles fans about how things used to be. Without asking for the impossible. And mostly without annoying the younger generation with constant "the Beatles were better than the stuff of today." (Those that do try that, get flamed ... just like you.)
    If the request is truly impossible then all they would have needed to do was say so.
    The reason is to prevent certain people from troubling the rest of the population.
    This is actually false. While in some cases there were honest misunderstandings, in most threads the Old Maple people were typically the victims of harassment or other things. I do not include myself there, mine was a story of a big misunderstanding however.
    There was plenty of warning. You were asked to stop countless times. And you just kept coming back with what might have seemed to you like a completely different take on things, but to everyone else it was the same old "bring back old maplestory".
    Now your memory is starting to worry me. One of the first things I complained about after the rule was created is that it was made without proper warning. Had I known what was coming, I would have stopped in an instant. (because I would not want to put the topic at risk)

AKradian, what happened to you? You were supposed to be the reliable one.
    I clearly remember you being right there with me in the thread when we were asking about having a single thread created to contain everything about Old Maplestory. Sure our motives may have been different but for that instance, we had the same goal. Sadly there appeared to be a mis-communication and it did not work out but at least some knowledge came out of the effort.

As I recall you were quite skeptical about the intentions of the people involved. I on the other hand wanted to give the new person a chance. Like I said, this story has a sad end but something I will never forget is that in this one specific moment you, (AKradian) were right! Looking back at it now, if I had been just a little more cautious and less willing to trust what strangers claim maybe it could have turned out different. Or not, the point is that we have found common ground before. The situation has deteriorated from those times but I am confident enough to leave it be.

If you remember even the slightest bit about me then you should know that I would rather have gotten a temp ban then to have let any kind of unfair rule against Old Maple go into effect. So while this chat has been fun, I will hope for the best but expect the worse. Actually that is a figure of speech, as far as I am concerned the staff can decide on their own what kind of forum this ought to be. As a long time player who made a few mistakes, it is my strong recommendation that the Old Maple rule be re-examined. If no one listens to that or nothing changes then I don't have a complaint about that choice.

Its the internet, everyone can believe whatever they want.

• AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2019
    I just explained to you why it is as impossible to re-experience "GMS in 2007" as it is to re-experience "Beatles in 1967".
    Since it's obvious that you did not understand that, and that this this thread is just a repeat of everything you've said before (without ever listening to anything said against it, and while constantly reiterating "I've already said all I had to say about this"), it will be closed.
    Kuronekonova
This discussion has been closed.