[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

DMT Issues 7/18

Comments

• RyannCeeRyannCee
    Reactions: 805
    edited July 2020
    Sephie wrote: »
    Extremely disappointing. I want to highlight the problems in the last 2 weeks::

1. Limited cube sale in Reboot, despite cubes costing meso and in a server where people preplan for this months in advance.
    2. First DMT disaster and the poor response. Ran the cube sale 30 minutes before the 1st DMT hour so no one could buy cubes or even enter the cash shop. During the actual DMT no one could cube.
    3. No meaningful communication until the memo out of nowhere. No "please hold your cubes as we discuss this issue". Takes a full week to hear anything that's not just stalling.
    4. No actual compensation, no acknowledgement that people make plans around this specific day and wake up at 1AM-4AM for a 1 hour window only to get nothing. Rerunning the event again that we were supposed to get but didn't is not "compensation", and it took a week to communicate this?
    5. Second DMT disaster with no real change from last week.

There's no indication that Nexon cares at all about Reboot. I would say the memo talking about Burning World for non-Reboot is a bit tone deaf in a memo titled "Maple Memo: July Double Miracle Time – July 10" that was meant to address Reboot. The lack of actual meaningful compensation for people's time annoys me the most, and the "compensation" we ended up getting fell flat on its face. So not only is the 1st event not compensated for but now we need a compensation for the 2nd event?

How did a good will event for the community do the complete opposite and cause everyone to become angry and frustrated towards you?

This perfectly highlights the issue of this whole DMT fiasco for the past few weeks.

As somebody who is in EST I cannot even begin with how disappointing this event is when you still can't get cubes through.

I can't wait for nexon's next non-apology without any future compensation. But hey, I'm opened to being proved wrong
    TurtlesRock
  • GhibleeGhiblee
    Reactions: 3,795
    edited July 2020
    Greetings Maplers,

After looking into the severe lag issues during the Double Miracle Time (DMT) event in NA Reboot, we determined that the code optimization and increasing server spec did not alleviate the lag that was caused by the high traffic. It will require us time to further investigate the source of the issue so to prevent players from experiencing more lag and to mitigate further damage done during the event, we will be canceling the remaining DMT hours for July 18.

- PDT (UTC -7): 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM & 10:00 PM – 11:00 PM
    - CEST (UTC +2): 12:00 AM (Jul 19) – 1:00 AM (Jul 19) & 7:00 AM (Jul 19) – 8:00 AM (Jul 19)
    - AEST (UTC +10): 8:00 AM (Jul 19) – 9:00 AM (Jul 19) & 3:00 PM (Jul 19) – 4:00 PM (Jul 19)

We’re discussing another way to compensate NA Reboot players and we will update with more details when they get decided. We would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you experienced during this DMT event.

-The MapleStory Team

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/59408/double-miracle-time-event-cancellation
    iLikeRichClo
  • TurtlesRockTurtlesRock
    Reactions: 1,845
    edited July 2020
    Sephie wrote: »
    Extremely disappointing. I want to highlight the problems in the last 2 weeks::

1. Limited cube sale in Reboot, despite cubes costing meso and in a server where people preplan for this months in advance.
    2. First DMT disaster and the poor response. Ran the cube sale 30 minutes before the 1st DMT hour so no one could buy cubes or even enter the cash shop. During the actual DMT no one could cube.
    3. No meaningful communication until the memo out of nowhere. No "please hold your cubes as we discuss this issue". Takes a full week to hear anything that's not just stalling.
    4. No actual compensation, no acknowledgement that people make plans around this specific day and wake up at 1AM-4AM for a 1 hour window only to get nothing. Rerunning the event again that we were supposed to get but didn't is not "compensation", and it took a week to communicate this?
    5. Second DMT disaster with no real change from last week.

There's no indication that Nexon cares at all about Reboot. I would say the memo talking about Burning World for non-Reboot is a bit tone deaf in a memo titled "Maple Memo: July Double Miracle Time – July 10" that was meant to address Reboot. The lack of actual meaningful compensation for people's time annoys me the most, and the "compensation" we ended up getting fell flat on its face. So not only is the 1st event not compensated for but now we need a compensation for the 2nd event?

How did a good will event for the community do the complete opposite and cause everyone to become angry and frustrated towards you?

I saved a lot of meso for the cube sale. This was going to be my first real big cubing DMT. Then they removed the cube sale, WHICH WAS IN EVERY OTHER DMT.

There better be a normal cube sale for the next "compensation" DMT, and it better be 24 hours long.

Like you said, no meaningful communication, and no actual compensation. Anna and Ghiblee need to go.
  • NotBestNotMadNotBestNotMad
    Reactions: 220
    So in terms of compensation, what about people who have been sitting on cubes that will expire?
    TurtlesRockpat159
  • MouseyyyMouseyyy
    Reactions: 250
    edited July 2020
    Not surprised at this repetition. DO NOT BUY NX guys, they don't respect any of you enough to take any of your suggestions seriously. Empty promises left and right. They read it many times "make the DMT 24 hours, half a day.. etc etc etc" Yet, they give us a crummy 1 hour to squeeze and then say,"OHH WOW I can't believe that happened again." LOL!! Seriously, if you want respect, demand it. Boycott is the biggest way to show Nexon that you aren't taking that crap anymore. If you are still buying NX despite the disappointment, you are like a girlfriend who is expecting a lousy deadbead boyfriend to change. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!
    TurtlesRock
  • HeeroOfLightHeeroOfLight
    Reactions: 600
    edited July 2020
    Once again I am here to share my utter disappointment with how incompetent the content team and direction of this game is going. Constantly the community asks for things like potable badges, wondroid events, 24 hr DMTs or alternatives and we get Bebe boxes and half winded appologies.

Its baffling how we come back to this game with maple on a resurgence due to corona ONLY FOR NEXON BLOW IT. It was a simple lay up to potentially make this game relevant. Fix the server lag, give players what they want so it doesn't feel like you are throwing your life away to play a new character without retired gear, communicate effectively not half heartedly and promptly.

This team expects players like myself to spend time and money on a product that neither function comparatively or as consistently as other games on the market. The decision making from the top down needs to be over hauled. So many people I know have quit this game cold turkey in the last month because of these destructive decisions made.

Thanks Nexon.
    TurtlesRock
  • JeyooJeyoo
    Reactions: 930
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2020
    Hi GM Ghiblee,

Not an active user anymore but still regularly follow updates on the health of the game. I've stopped playing and refuse to play due to the state of the game. I'm not sure if it's incompetency or disrespect for the players, but each month the game seems to get worse.

Nexon needs to do more to address the issues players are concerned about. From this DMT, to the rising gap between new and old players, to many many more major issues that one would think would kill the game, this game is a massive mess. But the fact that the game is still (relatively) alive is crazy. This should be an indicator that what Nexon has here is something special and unique, yet you continually make bad decisions one after another almost like its purposefully done.

All my friends love the game too, some played in the nostalgic era, some now. Some look to get back into it, but I tell them that it's not worth playing. And I emphasise to them to tell others its not worth getting into.

Please fix your game, because a lot of people want to play.
    RainbowYiffTurtlesRock
  • NotByakuyaNotByakuya
    Reactions: 340
    Made an account here as I've heard that CM's actually read the comments made here.

As a returning player I've noticed maplestory has completely lost touch with its player base and refuses to communicate about the issues players bring up. Why was there no response to the mass demand for a 24 hour DMT event? If it isn't feasible to do (which I doubt) then atleast recognize the people asking and respond. Instead the opposite happens and we get a vague "code optimization" and nothing else. I truly wonder what kind of compensation you guys are going to compensate the previous compensation with. compensation. What kind of compensation can make up for the cubes I and many others lost during the periods of extreme lag? Too many questions and no answers. Even here it feels like everyone is complaining to a wall.
    RainbowYiffTurtlesRock
  • NotByakuyaNotByakuya
    Reactions: 340
    edited July 2020
    Made an account here as I've heard that CM's actually read the comments made here.

As a returning player I've noticed maplestory has completely lost touch with its player base and refuses to communicate about the issues players bring up. Why was there no response to the mass demand for a 24 hour DMT event? If it isn't feasible to do (which I doubt) then atleast recognize the people asking and respond. Instead the opposite happens and we get a vague "code optimization" and nothing else. I truly wonder what kind of compensation you guys are going to compensate the previous compensation with. compensation. What kind of compensation can make up for the cubes I and many others lost during the periods of extreme lag? Too many questions and no answers. Even here it feels like everyone is talking to a wall.
    RainbowYiffTurtlesRock
  • detexdetex
    Reactions: 935
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2020
    There has never been a LIMITED cube sale for a DMT, and DMTs have never ran so horribly.

This whole situation has been handled in a pathetic manner.

From the poor initial communication from Ghiblee: https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/hmi5cn/issues_and_server_instability_during_dmt/

To the laughable compensation

Before the compensation was announced, players jokingly said that the compensation will be a re-run of 3 1-hour blocks of DMT. Lo and behold, these monkeys actually just decided to re-run the exact same event.

How dare you lie to your playerbase and imply that "code optimization" would alleviate the issues. Your memo was released less than a week after the issue, and realistically the time taken to pass this issue along to your korean devs and triage it would take a few days, meaning that they likely only had a week or so to investigate, assuming they did anything at all.

A few days to both investigate and implement improvements for a major part of your application (cash shop server and related endpoints) would be difficult even for top tech companies. To add to that, those companies probably have properly maintained codebases.. Maplestory? No chance. Everyone knows that it's spaghetti code, evidenced by the visible bugs we've seen over the years and random crashes still prevalent today.

"increasing server spec did not alleviate the lag"
    Oh that's new. Everyone knows you guys use AWS servers, did you just buy one extra EC2 instance and call it a day?

Regarding the upcoming compensation
    As a player that recently came back, I was looking forward to tiering up all my equips on my new character. There is NOTHING they could possibly give us (that they consider reasonable, despite these circumstances) to replace DMT.

I see some people asking for 10 legendary potential scrolls. This is not something good to ask for because:
    A. If they do give us legendary pot scroll(s), the regular server players would cry and complain
    B. Everyone has different amounts of meso saved up, a one-size-fits-all compensation like giving a set number of pot scrolls doesn't make sense. One player may have saved up enough cubes to tier-up 2 equips, and would be happy to receive 2 legendary pot scrolls, but what about others who have saved enough for two characters worth of equips?
    C. If they do get the idea to hand out legendary pot scrolls, let's be honest here, I would bet money that we would get only one.

A reasonable solution I saw is to give everyone "DMT potions", handed out over a period of weeks (e.g. divide the playerbase into 3 1-week blocks).
    But I am not exaggerating when I say that I severely doubt that the korean devs are able to implement this properly and in a timely fashion. Their reluctance to change DMT from three 1-hour blocks to 24 hours says a thousand words about how doing something like that is probably unreasonably difficult for them. The DMT event itself is probably some hardcoded garbage considering they've kept the same time blocks for years and years.

To angry players threatening to quit
    You will come back. And if you are really convinced that you won't, then go through your banks and chargeback and dispute every single purchase you have made. Simple as that. If you won't come back, you won't need your account.

This is no way to treat your players
    Anna, you and whoever had a hand in this pathetic compensation need to take a good hard look at yourselves, and ask if the services you provide to Nexon are really worth the money they pay you for, because this would never slide in another game studio
    ArgentRainbowYiffiLikeRichCloTurtlesRockIcyMei
  • BlaqqBlaqq
    Reactions: 220
    edited July 2020
    Issues like this are why I keep leaving Maplestory. And sure a lot of people joke about those like me by saying we're just gonna be back later, but what you need to take into account is that our support will not return. Maybe I'll drop in after another few years again, so saying people like me won't need their accounts is tactless. The amount of money I spent years ago shows a clear, sharp decline. From hundreds spent in a year to just about $10-20 over the course of several years, repeated failures like this hurt Nexon on a financial level which will only push the decline of the game. From a player and an investor who has played since before fourth job was released, it makes no sense to invest the same amount of time and money when I can see just how bad the game has decayed from when it was in its prime.

So once again, I''m done. I already waited to participate in this compensation after waiting for the actual event that failed. There have been several good ideas from the players before that Nexon repeatedly ignores and fails to respond to, while Nexon would rather keep trying the same method that failed. I'm not waiting another two weeks again for a repeat of the same thing as I was only testing the waters of the game and trying to get back into it this summer. So while you take your time to discuss any other great compensation ideas with your staff, I want to be the voice of those that it's too late for.

RainbowYiffTurtlesRock
  • HorsechubHorsechub
    Reactions: 1,190
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2020
    Is Anna still the person responsible for PR? I remember seeing her post when she was hired but haven't seen a shred of communication since- even during disasters. The community desperately needs reassurance that appropriate compensation is on the way / Nexon has definitive plans to fix these issues in the future. Negligence has seriously been an issue and it's really affecting the playerbase's loyalty and moral. I really really don't want to see my favorite game die. This is very disheartening.
    TurtlesRockIcyMei
  • iLikeRichCloiLikeRichClo
    Reactions: 1,050
    edited July 2020
    I think that Sephie and although the tone is more critical than I'd like - detex, really hit the nail on the head here. I really appreciate the updates and apologies by Ghiblee, especially in regards to further compensation and awareness of the issue. However, I think that the cynicism and disappointment by the community has really reached a new high, further since because we all hoped that the team had investigated the issue thoroughly and instigated the proper measures. There have been sarcastic posts and memes on reddit and discord about how this second DMT session would be like the first, but I along with many others had faith in the team and was optimistic that things would turn out better. I do think that there was a small improvement, but there was still the noticeable lag, and the constant changing of channels that had to be done to cube; albeit once every 10 minutes. So I am here to express my disappointment with the event, but also to support and encourage the team to maybe take a step back, and reflect on the best way to move forward. Some have suggested a DMT buff that could be given out to players, although I believe this would be hard to do, considering that development changes are made by Nexon KR, and that there are budgets that are put in place that make it very unrealistic to allocate more resources for an event that causes problems every several months.
    I don't really know how Nexon HQ operates, but I really hope that our voices can be carried towards the team, and that compensations can be made to the people. My hope is that, hopefully, a measure is taken that really makes the community feel listened to.
    IcyMei
  • YowlyYowly
    Reactions: 225
    why is it that everyone could tell this DMT wasn't going to work except the company behind the game? What a joke. You guys are so lucky that u created a base of addicts that play this game. No sensible non-addicted person can play this game. From this point on I will NEVER be buying NX again. Not because of this DMT, but a consistent and habitual attack on F2P players. The nerf to kanna, the nerf to meso farming, the nerf to progression via hellux changes, and now this failure to recognize the importance of DMT for reboot YOUR LARGEST SERVER. Three 1 hr DMT sessions is SOOOOOOOOOO obviously a stupid idea that was doomed to fail from the beginning.
    TurtlesRockWONDERGUYTheObservant
  • UnpresentUnpresent
    Reactions: 110
    detex wrote: »

A reasonable solution I saw is to give everyone "DMT potions", handed out over a period of weeks (e.g. divide the playerbase into 3 1-week blocks).
    But I am not exaggerating when I say that I severely doubt that the korean devs are able to implement this properly and in a timely fashion. Their reluctance to change DMT from three 1-hour blocks to 24 hours says a thousand words about how doing something like that is probably unreasonably difficult for them. The DMT event itself is probably some hardcoded garbage considering they've kept the same time blocks for years and years.

DMTs in KMS run for 24 hours.
    TurtlesRock
  • detexdetex
    Reactions: 935
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2020
    Unpresent wrote: »
    detex wrote: »

DMTs in KMS run for 24 hours.

Do they always run for 24 hours? Have they ever held DMT in different time blocks?

If they have shown the ability to run DMT at different times, then the next question is why haven't they done it yet?
  • KrownopKrownop
    Reactions: 825
    edited July 2020
    So Nexon is just going to pretend that this DMT never happened? Because there's no word about the compensation on the patch or any news in that regard.
    WONDERGUYiLikeRichClo
  • SnickySnicky
    Reactions: 1,385
    edited July 2020
    Knowing Nexon there won't be any satifying compensation . Seen normal event most of time we only get temporary stuff [ which sometimes barely is useable for a few days ] .
    Like I said in some other post , Nexcon not really gives a damm about us players , all they look at is how much income they gain from any game , and if it ain;t enough or when we as player base not crawl for Nexon and kiss there feet , they won't ever give in to things we asking for .
    They only concentrate on certain servers , and if I have TBH , they rather wished Reboot didn't exist , and they might try find a way to get us all walk over to any other server of Maplestory so they can close down Reboot aswell , like they did same to MS2 recently . { Why else u think they do same as with Kmaple , an event so you can lvl 3 new chars max [ fast ] and then merge them to any server except Reboot !!
    They just keep there KMaple games alive because for some reason those people playing there not care what Nexon is adding or taken away from the game .
    And yeah any failure event they screw up and redo it always is just as bad as 1st time was . if they really would wanna fix it , they would hire real professional programmers who knew coding for 1000 % and could find every mistake in the coding made .
    But nah that cost Nexon way to much , and if they ever fix something - something else is broken as always .
    I don;t have trust in anything anymore that they will make maple playable in a good way for Reboot .
  • ErdvarkErdvark
    Reactions: 210
    Ghiblee, can you please provide an update regarding this?
    AKPolaB3ar
  • NotSchitzoNotSchitzo
    Reactions: 100
    Hey GM G,
    I have saved up for 3 weeks now for these events. I have over 150 cubes that are set to expire within 2 weeks... this was over 100hours of non-stop grinding to get. Would really like some updates as having only came back to this game in May after MS2 closed, and have already spent $200 on NX, this doesn't bold well for me continuing to spend money.

-MS Reboot: Valeshko, 215 Pathfinder