[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Old Maplestory nostalgia?

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 2016
    So I merged the two threads so we don't have multiple nostalgia threads on the same page. But otherwise we still cool.
    UzumeJettLuvsU
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited October 2016
    I remember when Ulu City was still relevant.
  • ふかせふかせ
    Reactions: 1,475
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    I still remember the times when a new major area was released (e.g. Ludibrium, KFT). Many people flocked there the moment the game went up after the patch, and people gathered on the ships with anticipation. There was always a great deal of excitement with exploring new areas whether you go on your own, with friends, or strangers.
    WillowRosenberg
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited October 2016
    bring back november wolf and sheep event !
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited October 2016
    Talking about maple story remembered me about the 4job, it was a unique experience, you had to work hard to get the skills themselves, you needed to do quests to get them, you only started with like 4 basic, and the best ones you had to work for, one thing i remember was the ressurrection skill you needed to go a invisible JQ
    and getting it make me feel truly a bishop
    Also how your BEST skill just took so long to get, genesis for bishop was a painn, but was certanly worh in the end xD
    I wonder if 5job will give me a similar/same experience i had once getting new skills and working hard for this great stuff.
    NeoTokyoDude
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Ahaha, doing quests for your skills was a huge pain in the ass, but looking back on it, it seemed pretty fun. I remember my dream in high school was to become a Marksman, learn Snipe, and then just show off 190-200k lines all day at HHG1 lol. I remember one part required you to team up with another archer (don't remember if it had to necessarily be a marksman as well). Think I was stuck on that part for a few days cuz there weren't any easily accessible 4th job archers at the time (this was when Galicia was just released - since it was released with Aran, 90% of the population was Arans lol).

Another thing I liked was that glitch where you could ride a chair on your mount (don't think you could move, though). I would summon Golden Eagle, my pet Robo, my Puppet, my piggie mount, and my Ryko chair. And I'd be like the Pokemon master lol. I don't think the glitch works anymore? I just tried it, and the game crashed :/.

Oooh, and I remember the day I won a Ryko chair from gach. I got spammed so hard with offers. One of them was from the top marksman in the server, too, who was like my role model lol. It was like a month after Galicia came out. Musta been only one of like five in the server at the time. I quit for a few years, then when I came back, my account was cleaned out somehow... bye-bye Ryko chair. Also lost my glowing whip, guess that was worth enough for the hackers to take? All my other stuff was left alone.

Ohhhh and the first Cake vs. Pie event. I saved up for the Lotus Leaf Chair, fighting off the temptation of buying a White Scroll to sell. I honestly didn't like the chair at first, but I'd still use it and people would compliment me on it, offer me tons of mesos, eternal gratitude, etc. and I'd blush and notify them that it wasn't tradeable. Then a few years later, they re-released it as a common Gachapon item... buh bye popularity lol.

NeoTokyoDude
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    Reactions: 1,520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    There are so many memories way to many to recall but I will list a few...

1) Fighting Iron Boar in Pig Beach as a lv 20 warrior was hell. But with a few of my magician buddies to conquer it ( 1 was an aspiring cleric and 1 was an aspiring ice lightning mage) the boar was conquered.

2) Exploring the evil eye cave with friends, dying to a Jr Balrog after not knowing anything that was in the deepest regions of Sleepywood. Then training in the Ant Tunnel becoming mesmerized from the music loosing track of time.

3) Staying up for 48 hours pushing my Cleric to 70 to catch up to my friends who were close to 80.

4) Dying in Orbis because my warrior was way under-leveled and it was just introduced.

5) Having my then level 15 warrior find out that the path between Henesys and Elina has Golems on the bottom on one of the maps, then jumping in thinking that I can take them out for good exp, only to see me "miss" a whole lot then die. Then saying in the chat "I died to a bunch of robots in Henesys". I had no idea they were actually Golems lol

6) Making a guild for the first time with friends.
    NeoTokyoDudeWillowRosenberg
  • NeoTokyoDudeNeoTokyoDude
    Reactions: 1,240
    edited November 2016
    Maryse
    Maryse said:

I remember when Ulu City was still relevant.
    I always got more out of Truckers.
    Fennekin
    Fennekin said:

I quit for a few years, then when I came back, my account was cleaned out somehow...
    I have heard about this happening pretty often, maybe there is such a thing as an inactivity tracking hax?

I liked having a market for Mastery skill books but I also think some parts of that system could have been made a little easier.
    Glirotus
    Glirotus said:

2) Exploring the evil eye cave with friends, dying to a Jr Balrog after not knowing anything that was in the deepest regions of Sleepywood. Then training in the Ant Tunnel becoming mesmerized from the music loosing track of time.
    Ant tunnel was way more interesting than I expected it to be. Even before learning about Bob the snail.
  • TubaTuba
    Reactions: 3,175
    edited November 2016
    I MISS ALL THE PRE BIG BANG MAPS. I LOVE SLEEPYWOOD MAPS AND LITH HARBOR MONSTER MAPS ))):
  • WillowRosenbergWillowRosenberg
    Reactions: 520
    edited November 2016
    Glirotus
    Glirotus said:

There are so many memories way to many to recall but I will list a few...

1) Fighting Iron Boar in Pig Beach as a lv 20 warrior was hell. But with a few of my magician buddies to conquer it ( 1 was an aspiring cleric and 1 was an aspiring ice lightning mage) the boar was conquered.

3) Staying up for 48 hours pushing my Cleric to 70 to catch up to my friends who were close to 80.

4) Dying in Orbis because my warrior was way under-leveled and it was just introduced.

5) Having my then level 15 warrior find out that the path between Henesys and Elina has Golems on the bottom on one of the maps, then jumping in thinking that I can take them out for good exp, only to see me "miss" a whole lot then die. Then saying in the chat "I died to a bunch of robots in Henesys". I had no idea they were actually Golems lol

6) Making a guild for the first time with friends.
    I agree with all of these.

Also - the first time they had the easter event with the eggs with legs. I was a low level I/L wiz and those things would torture me. I'd try to get up a ladder and they'd just kick me and kill me.

I miss the huge sense of community. When people would just hang out on boards and chat.

Ant Tunnel was a blast.

I remember the first time I finally found sleepywood. Damn, that was hard! I remember going nuts trying to find it. I really felt like I had accomplished something.

The first time I found El Nath was another big one for me! I felt like I found something amazing. Although the penguins on the lower level of Orbis Tower made it hell for me to get there! Then I got to El Nath and I couldn't kill anything and I had to try to find my way back but I was lost and I couldn't get back. I was asking for help and some random Thief took pity on me and told me he'd show me the way back to Orbis. So he partied me and hit me with Haste, which I had never seen before and I was such a nublet that I couldn't control my character! I just remember him making the F6 face in Orbis tower as I repeatedly either jumped over platforms and fell, or ran off them by accident. I had no idea what was wrong with my character!

I really enjoyed the walking from one city to another when I couldn't afford to use the taxi as a nub. Making my way from Lith Harbor, to Henesys, to Ellinia. I don't know why, but there was something fun about that. The new maps just kill any sense of exploring.

I remember finding pig beach and that was huge for me. That was before every single secret portal in Maple was highlighted so you had to find it by accident or be told by someone in the know.

I think Nexon never really understood what made Maple so great and it shows in Maple's current incarnation. Also, Nexon's blatant lack of respect for its users also killed a lot of the fun for me. I remember making a guild, and building it up until I had about 50 members. I had a private website for the guild, and a forum for guild members to hang and sell stuff. I put a ton of work into it and when the guild hack happened it really took a lot of the wind out of my sails. Especially with how Nexon handled it. I filed a ticket (as I'm sure hundreds or thousands did) and Nexon replied by giving me a Million mesos and closing the ticket. Basically telling me, "Here's some mesos that don't even cover the cost of what it was to make your guild. Now get lost..." I slowed down a lot with my playing after that.

Then when Big Bang happened, that kind of finished everything off for me. Seeing how Nexon had no clue and that the game was only going to get worse killed a lot of what was left.

Also...I got hit with that inactivity hack or whatever it was on another account. When I slowed down my playing after the guild hack and big bang, I had an account with a high level character that I didn't touch for like a year. Then eventually I did log on to that account for some reason and my main on that account had been cleaned out. I was really bummed about that because he had a great chair that my girlfriend had given me and that was gone. All my mesos were gone. Most of my equips were gone. He was my first ever character on Maple, so he had some things that were sentimental to me. Including a chromi that I was stupid enough to buy a name tag for from the cash shop when I was nub enough to not realize how soon you upgrade wands when you're low level. So I got hit with that hack, too.

I still play but nothing near what I used to. It's like I want to play out of nostalgia but there's really nothing there nostalgic as everything's been changed so it's weird. It's like things are familiar but they're not. I still play though here and there and mostly just bemoan how there's a complete lack of community. And how there's almost no one online when I do play. I can go for hours before seeing someone in Windia on any of the channels other than 1. It never used to be like that before Big Bang.

There was a certain magic in the original Maple. Nexon never understood that and thought only that if they made things easy, and just crammed it full of content then the game would get better. And I think to a degree they still don't get it. It's like the CEO of a company not understanding why his company is tanking because he's listening to his managers. Meanwhile the bottom tier office plebs and workers, who have been complaining to the managers about what's wrong just get ignored because managers never listen to the plebs anyway.

Nexon's official motto has become, "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
    NeoTokyoDude
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited November 2016
    The sheep and wolf event during thanksgiving event
    Its2Sharp4U
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited November 2016
    NeoTokyoDude

Dukus were so good in your 150s pre-BB.
    I remember spending hours training during 2x there, spamming Blizzard.

Also the Alien event, that was the best event imo.
    I was so noob at the time though.
    Tuba
  • TubaTuba
    Reactions: 3,175
    edited November 2016
    Maryse
    Maryse said:

NeoTokyoDude

Dukus were so good in your 150s pre-BB.
    I remember spending hours training during 2x there, spamming Blizzard.

Also the Alien event, that was the best event imo.
    I was so noob at the time though.
    I JUST DID ULU CITY QUESTS YESTERDAY AYLMAOOOOO!
  • VarsikVarsik
    Reactions: 400
    edited November 2016
    Old MS was the best. 2006-2008. When Ludibruim 101st floor was always packed with people looking for PQs. Henesys being the "chatroom" of the game, always filled with so many people. When people sold Zruns so you can get your helmet. Orbis glitch PQ. Being "Maple Famous". The guy in Bera who smega'd the alphabet, and told us we would remember it forever. Ludi maze PQ.

The best part of this game was its large population + almost everything requiring teamwork. You made friends that you would see the next day, and the day after. The game had so much going on, it didnt need the drastic change it was given.
  • NeoTokyoDudeNeoTokyoDude
    Reactions: 1,240
    edited November 2016
    Varsik
    Varsik said:

Old MS was the best. 2006-2008. When Ludibruim 101st floor was always packed with people looking for PQs. Henesys being the "chatroom" of the game, always filled with so many people. When people sold Zruns so you can get your helmet. Orbis glitch PQ. Being "Maple Famous". The guy in Bera who smega'd the alphabet, and told us we would remember it forever. Ludi maze PQ.

The best part of this game was its large population + almost everything requiring teamwork. You made friends that you would see the next day, and the day after. The game had so much going on, it didnt need the drastic change it was given.
    I think one of the best parts of the game is that it is mostly 2D.

Who remembers the turkeys?
    Not long ago I fought some plump and peaceful turkeys. They had good drops and would probably be good for eating but I will never forget the scrawny angry ones from the past. After their initial appearance they returned as cyborgs or something, for reasons I do not recall.
  • nizu26nizu26
    Reactions: 300
    edited November 2016
    (Sorry if this was already mentioned but I haven't read everything back)

But does anyone remember the monster events where they'd summon a bunch of balrogs and mushmoms and stuff? If I remember correctly 4th job didn't exist yet so basically if you were too low level you'd just die the whole time because no one could KO the bosses yet.
  • nizu26nizu26
    Reactions: 300
    edited November 2016
    Also another thing I remember is when Korean Folk Town didn't exist yet and you'd just go to the elevator hoping it'd work somehow but it didn't cause it wouldn't lead to anywhere, and then when Korean Folk Town came I was so excited to finally use that elevator
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited November 2016
    NeoTokyoDude

I think one of the best parts of the game is that it is mostly 2D.

Who remembers the turkeys?
    Not long ago I fought some plump and peaceful turkeys. They had good drops and would probably be good for eating but I will never forget the scrawny angry ones from the past. After their initial appearance they returned as cyborgs or something, for reasons I do not recall.
    At the most I know it was in relation to NLC. I mean just look at the design! They're back for revenge as Turkey Commandos!
  • xNailKaiserxNailKaiser
    Reactions: 2,440
    edited November 2016
    I always liked the old maps of areas with their size and openness. I remember one of the field maps near Ellinia used to be ginormous!

I really wish Victoria Road and the old Victoria Island could be somehow restored. I used to love just taking a stroll on the road around the island just to pass the time.
  • NonxenNonxen
    Reactions: 710
    edited November 2016
    I remember when I sold pig head for meso, and grinding at clock tower fighting with Platoon Chronos for Esther Shield with my friends. We were the three musketeers magicians version, I was Cleric and other two was I/L Mage and F/P Mage. We crazay enough to make a guild with mage only :)), old good time.