[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[Unscheduled Maintenance] Nov. 30, 2016

Comments

• JaaadddddddJaaaddddddd
    Reactions: 1,005
    edited November 2016
    Tbh i think the only reason why people raging is lack of speed in keep us all updated i dont mind waiting as long as i know why and for how long.
    They need to do these shut downs because theres hackers that would abuse the heck out of anything they can find
    ringayeen
  • KisjKisj
    Reactions: 1,100
    edited November 2016
    Jaaaddddddd

Tbh i think the only reason why people raging is lack of speed in keep us all updated i dont mind waiting as long as i know why and for how long.
    They need to do these shut downs because theres hackers that would abuse the heck out of anything they can find
    oh they'll find loopholes instantly anyway, just give it about two hours after the servers are back, they'll be swarming leafre and Mu lung in no time
  • ErraticEclipseErraticEclipse
    Reactions: 600
    edited November 2016
    MySp00n
    MySp00n said:

Sorry, but you guys are REALLY stupid for doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

You have NO public test server (or at least invitation only) and EVERY big patch we have a plethora of game breaking bugs that could've been easily detected have you had people actually looking for them before the patch release. This is ridiculous.

There is very little patience, and absolutely no understanding. You guys pull this same thing off every time.

PLEASE tell me at least the people playtesting for bugs aren't the same that were streaming today on twitch. Freaking embarrassing.
    Sinicide
    Sinicide said:

SarasChaos

MegaScience

Something to consider is the size of MapleStory. After over a decade, there is an enormous amount of content - both universal and GMS-exclusive - and accounting for every single factor becomes more and more difficult over time. While the hope is for everything to function correctly the first time, as a program issues will arise and be addressed appropriately. It's unfortunate when we must incur additional downtime to address issues, but what's important is that issues that come to light due to the dynamics of the playerbase are being addressed - not pointing blame over factors which are not always obvious from a testing standpoint.
    well said, but something to consider is most of the people complaining on here are the ones who only have been here one or two years. they have no idea what they are talking about or the immense amount of content they have yet to discover. I personally have played since beta, and I would rather nexon take there time with this so the future updates wont have as many issues.

I agree. Everyone wonders why MMO's are dying so fast these days, a few examples: Blade & Soul, Echo of Soul, Riders of Icarus etc etc. They don't really take the time to think about why they last over a decade as Maplestory has. It's because Nexon fixes what's broken, WHEN its broken. They don't leave broken content available to the public while keeping on pushing out new content after new content before fixing the broken content (which is what most new MMO's do). I hope that Nexon REALLY does take their time addressing the issues they've encountered. And tbh, if you know that Nexon is going to take more time than they originally gave you and you know that its just going to be extended anyways, why are you here whining. Do you honestly have nothing better to do? There are other games out there, or I'm sure you have homework, sleep, or show/movies to catch up on. Be patient, you'll get good results. Go take a jog or something, jesus.
    Can I keep playing Hearthstone while reading funny forum comments? \o/
    SinicideSarasChaosringayeenDarkOathRiku593
  • SinicideSinicide
    Reactions: 410
    edited November 2016
    ErraticEclipse

MySp00n
    MySp00n said:

Sorry, but you guys are REALLY stupid for doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.

You have NO public test server (or at least invitation only) and EVERY big patch we have a plethora of game breaking bugs that could've been easily detected have you had people actually looking for them before the patch release. This is ridiculous.

There is very little patience, and absolutely no understanding. You guys pull this same thing off every time.

PLEASE tell me at least the people playtesting for bugs aren't the same that were streaming today on twitch. Freaking embarrassing.
    Sinicide
    Sinicide said:

SarasChaos

MegaScience

Something to consider is the size of MapleStory. After over a decade, there is an enormous amount of content - both universal and GMS-exclusive - and accounting for every single factor becomes more and more difficult over time. While the hope is for everything to function correctly the first time, as a program issues will arise and be addressed appropriately. It's unfortunate when we must incur additional downtime to address issues, but what's important is that issues that come to light due to the dynamics of the playerbase are being addressed - not pointing blame over factors which are not always obvious from a testing standpoint.
    well said, but something to consider is most of the people complaining on here are the ones who only have been here one or two years. they have no idea what they are talking about or the immense amount of content they have yet to discover. I personally have played since beta, and I would rather nexon take there time with this so the future updates wont have as many issues.

I agree. Everyone wonders why MMO's are dying so fast these days, a few examples: Blade & Soul, Echo of Soul, Riders of Icarus etc etc. They don't really take the time to think about why they last over a decade as Maplestory has. It's because Nexon fixes what's broken, WHEN its broken. They don't leave broken content available to the public while keeping on pushing out new content after new content before fixing the broken content (which is what most new MMO's do). I hope that Nexon REALLY does take their time addressing the issues they've encountered. And tbh, if you know that Nexon is going to take more time than they originally gave you and you know that its just going to be extended anyways, why are you here whining. Do you honestly have nothing better to do? There are other games out there, or I'm sure you have homework, sleep, or show/movies to catch up on. Be patient, you'll get good results. Go take a jog or something, jesus.

Of course ^^v
  • FTangoFTango
    Reactions: 630
    edited November 2016
    Can't wait to play! I guess I will read some of these posts on this forum while waiting. So far, it seems like everyone that is posting here is either very upset or very supportive.
    SinicideRiku593
  • xTheRebellionxTheRebellion
    Reactions: 360
    edited November 2016
    I feel the people complaining have no idea how programming or any sort of logic works. How can they test 100%? I work in a financial software company, with release cycles being monthly, and we discover hundreds of bugs, but still some slip through the crack. It is impossible to find every single test case. It would be very easy for them to make a release with no bugs, if they limited how many items, how many customization etc. but all the fancy interface and customization that you see is a complex amount of code to make it all happen. All it takes, is for a few elements (maybe, certain attack combinations or crit %) to completely break something. And rather than let the game go on and do a roll-back, they decide to pause and fix the problems. Anyone with the argument that they are fed up and been through this too much, and that Nexon has a huge problem needs a reality check. It is people that develop this game, thus mistakes, miscalculations are all viable possibilities. The same way you make mistakes, developers do too. This game has been running for 10 years, which shows they know how to correct those mistakes.

It's just irritating to see people selfishly thinking that they are so entitled to have everything go their way, and forgetting that at the other end is people just like them. If you think management, investors etc. are happy about these downtimes, you are sadly mistaken, falls down the ladder.

/rant.
    ringayeenSinicideErraticEclipsesparebladeEloquentPelicanAkamaSescr
  • SarasChaosSarasChaos
    Reactions: 1,330
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    ErraticEclipse

MySp00n
    MySp00n said:

Sinicide
    Sinicide said:

SarasChaos

MegaScience

do what you want. its the internet.
  • KisjKisj
    edited November 2016

Red Panda <3
    DSpellGuyRiku593StarrySWolf
  • PrettyPretty
    Reactions: 645
    edited November 2016
    To GMs: Please also fix the Event Hall lag while the game is down! We'd all really appreciate it! :)
    StarrySWolf
  • PlasticHollyPlasticHolly
    Reactions: 2,140
    edited November 2016
    SarasChaos

Wzer
    Wzer said:

MegaScience

Sure, we all understand there may be difficulties upon upgrading the system. Which makes us more mad/annoyed is the way GMS communicates with players. Moreover, it's just been happening too much for it to be considered as a pass-by situation.
    SarasChaos

MegaScience

I don't really know why people end up assuming everyone complaining to be a new player. I've played Maplestory long enough to notice that this is a big problem. You are the one being ignorant supporting Nexon for its fault.

your the one criticizing them for doing their job trying to bring you new content. whos the one being ignorant? if you aren't used to them taking long periods of time for a version update then its on you. most veteran players don't even mind it.
    I have seen every single anniversary of maplestory, played since a week after bera went live and the lack of testing and general poor quality control never improves regardless of the size of the update, the bigger ones just provide them more opportunity to overlook more issues.. here's a hint, when the games up again there will still be major issues unfixed and most of them wont even be acknowledged, we have some of the same bugs we have had for months and months, it once took them almost 3 years to fix a horntail bug, you'd think that even the most novice programmer could have found the issue in less time and addressed it, unless of course they are more intent on churning out new content to general revenue than testing and fixing what already exists... which is obviously the case
    tonyassisan
  • WzerWzer
    Reactions: 905
    edited November 2016
    SarasChaos

Wzer
    Wzer said:

MegaScience

Sure, we all understand there may be difficulties upon upgrading the system. Which makes us more mad/annoyed is the way GMS communicates with players. Moreover, it's just been happening too much for it to be considered as a pass-by situation.
    SarasChaos

MegaScience

I don't really know why people end up assuming everyone complaining to be a new player. I've played Maplestory long enough to notice that this is a big problem. You are the one being ignorant supporting Nexon for its fault.

your the one criticizing them for doing their job trying to bring you new content. whos the one being ignorant? if you aren't used to them taking long periods of time for a version update then its on you. most veteran players don't even mind it.
    Probably because I'm from different Maplestory region where tasks are done in a good manner. You saying that I'm not used to waiting just describes how many times they have caused this kind of situation in the past. I wonder where you're getting the idea of "veterans don't even mind it," just looks like you're talking with no evidence. Because obviously, that is not true.
    xTheRebellion

I feel the people complaining have no idea how programming or any sort of logic works. How can they test 100%? I work in a financial software company, with release cycles being monthly, and we discover hundreds of bugs, but still some slip through the crack. It is impossible to find every single test case. It would be very easy for them to make a release with no bugs, if they limited how many items, how many customization etc. but all the fancy interface and customization that you see is a complex amount of code to make it all happen. All it takes, is for a few elements (maybe, certain attack combinations or crit %) to completely break something. And rather than let the game go on and do a roll-back, they decide to pause and fix the problems. Anyone with the argument that they are fed up and been through this too much, and that Nexon has a huge problem needs a reality check. It is people that develop this game, thus mistakes, miscalculations are all viable possibilities. The same way you make mistakes, developers do too. This game has been running for 10 years, which shows they know how to correct those mistakes.

It's just irritating to see people selfishly thinking that they are so entitled to have everything go their way, and forgetting that at the other end is people just like them. If you think management, investors etc. are happy about these downtimes, you are sadly mistaken, falls down the ladder.

/rant.
    Which annoys us more is that Nexon barely communicates with players.
    xEvilSoulx
  • WirsindeinsWirsindeins
    Reactions: 850
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Wzer
    Wzer said:

Get ready for this kind of situation again at Dec 15th. Hope you enjoy.
    I doubt it. They've done the update the same way GMS normally does staggered updates: the first update adds everything, and later on a maintenance will unlock the hidden content. 5th job came out the exact same day as the UI and stat changes in KMS, for evidence. There won't be any massive update that potentially break everything.

There might be new bugs found with the currently closed off content which forces a maintenance anyway, however.
  • TagaloaTagaloa
    Reactions: 1,010
    edited November 2016
    Don't worry about anything, glad to see you guys are working hard to give us the best content, am glad Maplestory has come so far.
  • JohnMillerJohnMiller
    Reactions: 530
    edited November 2016
    I can't wait to create a Beast Tamer :D
    Sinicide
  • 1Beta1Beta
    Reactions: 110
    edited November 2016
    Kliang96
    Kliang96 said:

Does Nexon not have test servers by now where they can implement the patch ahead of time and test for bugs? This is a constant occurrence every big patch, and even the small patches release with several bugs. Not to mention that maintenance is extended more often than not.

It's honestly almost as sad as their streamers today who had no idea how to even play the game.

They used to have a test server called Tespia, but after Nexon took over Maplestory over Wizet the server was thrown out. A reason why was because people were going onto the test server and just leveling up to 200 and messing about instead of trying to fin bugs, as to why the only test server they have is for the staff themselves who don't really play the game.
    Kliang96Tagaloa
  • SinicideSinicide
    Reactions: 410
    edited November 2016
    PlasticHolly

SarasChaos

Wzer
    Wzer said:

MegaScience

SarasChaos

MegaScience

I have seen every single anniversary of maplestory, played since a week after bera went live and the lack of testing and general poor quality control never improves regardless of the size of the update, the bigger ones just provide them more opportunity to overlook more issues.. here's a hint, when the games up again there will still be major issues unfixed and most of them wont even be acknowledged, we have some of the same bugs we have had for months and months, it once took them almost 3 years to fix a horntail bug, you'd think that even the most novice programmer could have found the issue in less time and addressed it, unless of course they are more intent on churning out new content to general revenue than testing and fixing what already exists... which is obviously the case

Because everyone is perfect right..?
  • SnowieeSnowiee
    Reactions: 1,670
    edited November 2016
    OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

We wanted to provide you all with a general update regarding the current unscheduled maintenance [LINK].

We’re working on a few major issues related to crit damage for some classes being much higher than normal, some players having issues with new character creation, and the “Play V” event timer not working properly, along with some other issues as well.

Please note that at this time, we do not have an ETA for completion of this unscheduled maintenance, but our team is working diligently to complete all testing and get each of you back on the servers. We appreciate your patience, and understand how much all of you are looking forward to this update.
    I'm going to assume any "update" on that link is when you will announce the maintenance is finally over, right??
  • SarasChaosSarasChaos
    Reactions: 1,330
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    @PlasticHolly

I mean if you know nexons all about the money, then why do you expect them to change ? what they've been doing has worked so far from a business standpoint. obviously they have no intent to change lol. i don't expect the game to be perfect.
  • KisjKisj
    edited November 2016
    Snowiee
    Snowiee said:

OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

We wanted to provide you all with a general update regarding the current unscheduled maintenance [LINK].

We’re working on a few major issues related to crit damage for some classes being much higher than normal, some players having issues with new character creation, and the “Play V” event timer not working properly, along with some other issues as well.

Please note that at this time, we do not have an ETA for completion of this unscheduled maintenance, but our team is working diligently to complete all testing and get each of you back on the servers. We appreciate your patience, and understand how much all of you are looking forward to this update.
    I'm going to assume any "update" on that link is when you will announce the maintenance is finally over, right??
    i'm afraid so
  • yukimoriyukimori
    Reactions: 1,155
    edited November 2016
    Bruuh
    Bruuh said:

Guys please calm down lol... this is one of the biggest (of not the biggest) update of GMS, give them a chance LOL
    well as a player since 2006 they had bigger/same updates as that //
    its right though ppl should calm down but they frustrated cuz its a whole day of events missing and usualy maple dont compansate for such things unless theres a hot day or attandence check haha