[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

A message about KThxBaiNao

Comments

• ObeliskDRObeliskDR
    Reactions: 210
    edited December 2016
    The guy moved to Seattle and is from what I can see the only Nexon employee teleworking, followed by him slandering previous CM's in his streams, along with a handle that screams frat boy. He was probably put up an ultimatum to come back to the home location and he threw a temper tantrum so they axed him. I just don't see someone with this type of handle or mannerisms being very 'corporate' appropriate.

Meh, didn't even last a year

EDIT: Also like to point out Nexon RARELY if ever fires anyone. The one person who they did fire, I forgot his name but the CM after missmurder that lasted like 6 months, he teleworked in texas and got canned. Girasol quit in a rage, and missmurder i think still works at nexon? I know she was on dirtybomb for awhile.

I definitely would be more skeptical on kaythxbai's side of things, than Nexon's, which is something I thought I'd never say.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited December 2016
    ObeliskDR
    ObeliskDR said:

The guy moved to Seattle and is from what I can see the only Nexon employee teleworking, followed by him slandering previous CM's in his streams, along with a handle that screams frat boy. He was probably put up an ultimatum to come back to the home location and he threw a temper tantrum so they axed him. I just don't see someone with this type of handle or mannerisms being very 'corporate' appropriate.

EDIT: Also like to point out Nexon RARELY if ever fires anyone. The one person who they did fire, I forgot his name but the CM after missmurder that lasted like 6 months, he teleworked in texas and got canned. Girasol quit in a rage, and missmurder i think still works at nexon? I know she was on dirtybomb for awhile.

I definitely would be more skeptical on kaythxbai's side of things, than Nexon's, which is something I thought I'd never say.
    If the bolded section were the case, would they not have told him "pick a different name please" way back in right about now last year?

And I see by your assumption of "an ultimatum to come back to the home location", that you haven't bothered to think that perhaps he had reason to uproot the last year of his life down in LA and hump it all back up to Seattle.

Plus, if he truly, as you put it, "threw a tantrum", why would he have spent the last month or so since moving back up to WA continuing to fulfill his duties as Community Manager? Mayhaps you ought to leave baseless assumptions about one's character unsaid.
  • ObeliskDRObeliskDR
    edited December 2016
    Aggraphine

ObeliskDR
    ObeliskDR said:

If the bolded section were the case, would they not have told him "pick a different name please" way back in right about now last year?

And I see by your assumption of "an ultimatum to come back to the home location", that you haven't bothered to think that perhaps he had reason to uproot the last year of his life down in LA and hump it all back up to Seattle.

Plus, if he truly, as you put it, "threw a tantrum", why would he have spent the last month or so since moving back up to WA continuing to fulfill his duties as Community Manager? Mayhaps you ought to leave baseless assumptions about one's character unsaid.
    No, you're an adult, you choose your identity. You're trying to rationalize the situation, but then people are trying to vilify the company for the decision clearly don't understand how sudden and abrupt this is. The only other community manager who got this treatment was fired for not doing his job duties, everything on his profile was wiped. Girasol quit so that was a little different since it wasn't a 2 week notice thing. He must have done something very unethical for this kind of sweep.

This whole "HE WAS FIGHTING FOR THE COMMUNITY" is a bunch of bollocks, the only two things that come to mind based on the personality he presented when he played was, he disrespected someone of authority for not agreeing with him, or refused to move back to the main office.

deadend5193
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited December 2016
    ObeliskDR
    ObeliskDR said:

No, you're an adult, you choose your identity. You're trying to rationalize the situation, but then people are trying to vilify the company for the decision clearly don't understand how sudden and abrupt this is. The only other community manager who got this treatment was fired for not doing his job duties, everything on his profile was wiped. Girasol quit so that was a little different since it wasn't a 2 week notice thing. He must have done something very unethical for this kind of sweep.

This whole "HE WAS FIGHTING FOR THE COMMUNITY" is a bunch of bollocks, the only two things that come to mind based on the personality he presented when he played was, he disrespected someone of authority for not agreeing with him, or refused to move back to the main office.
    He's an adult, he chose his identity. He chose to continue using the identity he had before working for Nexon, the one that he has used for pretty much all of his on-the-internet life.

I've talked to him at various points over Steam and Discord, and honestly you couldn't be any more wrong about him and why he moved back up to Seattle if you actually put effort into it.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    ObeliskDR
    ObeliskDR said:

"from what you can see"? Do you work at Nexon? If not, how would you know whether any of their scores of employees also telework?

He's had the handle from day one. The mannerisms too. They hired him specifically so the players would feel he's "one of them", and they let him keep clowning and meme'ing throughout, including allowing him to make his videos on company time with company equipment.
    If someone lost patience with all of that they could have told him to tone it down. Same for slandering former CM's (I never watched the streams so I've no idea how that went).

I feel that even if all you say is true, he should not have been fired before a replacement could be found. A teleworking CM is better than none, especially with the game in the state it's in right now, and the holidays coming.
    SkyTheDestroyer
  • ObeliskDRObeliskDR
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

ObeliskDR
    ObeliskDR said:

"from what you can see"? Do you work at Nexon? If not, how would you know whether any of their scores of employees also telework?

He's had the handle from day one. The mannerisms too. They hired him specifically so the players would feel he's "one of them", and they let him keep clowning and meme'ing throughout, including allowing him to make his videos on company time with company equipment.
    If someone lost patience with all of that they could have told him to tone it down. Same for slandering former CM's (I never watched the streams so I've no idea how that went).

I feel that even if all you say is true, he should not have been fired before a replacement could be found. A teleworking CM is better than none, especially with the game in the state it's in right now, and the holidays coming.
    I'll just say if I wasn't confident in my point about teleworking I wouldn't have brought it up, especially it being such a common place in today's employment. For him to get fired like this abruptly with the most ambiguous closing letter, would have to be 3 things;

-He stole something
    -Insubordination/creating poor work environment
    -Wasn't doing his duties, for awhile too

Otherwise he could probably fight back, and if it was a lay off I'm sure he'd have no problem saying it. Based on the game activity I witnessed before he was selected for the position, his twitter, and his personal streams, I feel as though the second one is more applicable.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2016
    ObeliskDR
    ObeliskDR said:

I'll just say if I wasn't confident in my point about teleworking I wouldn't have brought it up, especially it being such a common place in today's employment. For him to get fired like this abruptly with the most ambiguous closing letter, would have to be 3 things;

-He stole something

Otherwise he could probably fight back, and if it was a lay off I'm sure he'd have no problem saying it. Based on the game activity I witnessed before he was selected for the position, his twitter, and his personal streams, I feel as though the second one is more applicable.
    While speculation is tolerated, please refrain from asserting bad things about individual people, including KThxBaiNao or any particular person at Nexon. I've already had to warn one person for doing this.

We do not know and we may never officially know why anything happened, but claiming that someone specific did something wrong is simply rude to all parties involved, and honestly just bad gossiping at best.
    DreamllusionJettLuvsUAsylumIts2Sharp4U
  • Sweetheart123Sweetheart123
    Reactions: 1,285
    edited December 2016
    sad to see another active helpful mod leave
    but does that mean i can have my original forum name back?
    he changed for being inappropriate even tho its been my name for over 10 years
    without any problems now my account is been mild status since
    #SoNotTiltIt'sLit
  • DreamllusionDreamllusion
    Reactions: 725
    edited December 2016
    I don't think we have the right to blame anyone right now even if we are tempted to... We don't even know the reasons of this happening at all except that it wasn't his decision, and thatls it... As far as I'm aware of, people are basing on suppositions, and not facts, to express their opinions.

It's sad that he's not here anymore, and expressing our support to kthxbainao seems the best thing to do, especialy for him :)

as for me, I'll wait for kthxbainao himself to explain his situation, if he ever want to or can. Then, I'll make my own opinions, without flaming anyone, for everyvody's sake. Even if there is someone deserving a flaming, it won't solve anything or help anybody...

EDIT: now that I think about it, it IS an opinion... ^^'
    Neospector
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

They hired him specifically so the players would feel he's "one of them", and they let him keep clowning and meme'ing throughout
    To me, that's what makes a good Community Manager.
    Someone that is able to joke around with the players while still able to be serious when comes the time.
    The fact that Michael was so involved with the players and how he went out of his way to help while still being super friendly to all of us made me like him.
    The Community Manager should be able to make friends with players but still keep a professional distance from them, especially if they're only players and not Volunteers (but that's still to their own discretion. Obviously no company talk with players only). They should be able to connect with the players. Since Michael has actually played the game before, he was in a position where he knows how frustrating things can be, and I feel like that's why he tried to go out of his way to help more than he was supposed to.
    I feel that because of how Michael was towards the players, it made us feel like we were heard, understood, and, to me, that's how a Community Manager should be.

It makes them look human.
    TubaKeepComingBackAKradianBahamut_XIts2Sharp4UContrastgamechangerIzzyKuroNekoThe Blue CorsairCaughtByLove
  • CrispHotdogCrispHotdog
    Reactions: 855
    edited December 2016
    Kthx is too good for Nexon. You guys are idiots.
  • ringayeenringayeen
    Reactions: 1,580
    edited December 2016
    okay but guys
    y'all complained nonstop about kthnxbainao until he got fired, and now you're all acting like it's a complete sin
    also, he mentioned on twitter he doesn't know why he was fired, which is bs. they have to tell you, or you'd get a good lawsuit.
    he probably did something he's not allowed to talk about.
    so stop whiteknighting, buck tf up and come to terms with this new reality. it sucks, but all we can do is move forward.
    that's all
    Kylehell007deadend5193
  • UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited December 2016
    Sad to hear. I hope he's doing well, getting abruptly fired can be pretty hard on someone financially and we were his family, in a way. Not being able to take care of us must be hard on him too, so no matter what he might've done wrong, I still wish the best for him in every possible way because he did lots of good around here.
    JettLuvsUPhantomMasterThief
  • DreamllusionDreamllusion
    Reactions: 725
    edited December 2016
    I just learned that he don't know why he was fired...
    Thing is, if he really doesn't know, I find it weird... aren't we supposed to have the right to know the reason of our firing when it happens?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    ringayeen
    ringayeen said:

okay but guys
    y'all complained nonstop about kthnxbainao until he got fired, and now you're all acting like it's a complete sin
    also, he mentioned on twitter he doesn't know why he was fired, which is bs. they have to tell you, or you'd get a good lawsuit.
    he probably did something he's not allowed to talk about.
    so stop whiteknighting, buck tf up and come to terms with this new reality. it sucks, but all we can do is move forward.
    that's all
    Where did he say he doesn't know why he was fired?
    He only said it wasn't his decision.
  • UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited December 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

• NakazatoJLNakazatoJL
    Reactions: 1,505
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Yeah get rid of the only person who effectively communicates things to us, good job, now we are totally blind again
  • ObeliskDRObeliskDR
    edited December 2016
    Neospector

ObeliskDR
    ObeliskDR said:

-He stole something

While speculation is tolerated, please refrain from asserting bad things about individual people, including KThxBaiNao or any particular person at Nexon. I've already had to warn one person for doing this.

We do not know and we may never officially know why anything happened, but claiming that someone specific did something wrong is simply rude to all parties involved, and honestly just bad gossiping at best.
    Not sure if you had a job before but they don't abruptly fire you and strip you of all of your credibility immediately for an 'accident'. Someone on Southperry apparently knows whats up though, I thought he was one of the volunteers here but it looks like you're in the dark too lol
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited December 2016
    Maryse
    Maryse said:

AKradian
    AKradian said:

They hired him specifically so the players would feel he's "one of them", and they let him keep clowning and meme'ing throughout
    To me, that's what makes a good Community Manager.
    Someone that is able to joke around with the players while still able to be serious when comes the time.
    The fact that Michael was so involved with the players and how he went out of his way to help while still being super friendly to all of us made me like him.
    The Community Manager should be able to make friends with players but still keep a professional distance from them, especially if they're only players and not Volunteers (but that's still to their own discretion. Obviously no company talk with players only). They should be able to connect with the players. Since Michael has actually played the game before, he was in a position where he knows how frustrating things can be, and I feel like that's why he tried to go out of his way to help more than he was supposed to.
    I feel that because of how Michael was towards the players, it made us feel like we were heard, understood, and, to me, that's how a Community Manager should be.

It makes them look human.
    -adds this to resume for quote integration- This is golden right here.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Uzume
    Uzume said:

AKradian
    AKradian said:

Huh.
    I don't buy that.
    He just lost a few points in my book.