[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Nexon is it so hard to ban hackers / spammers???

Comments

• MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
    Reactions: 1,800
    edited December 2016
    @Ambiv
    I use the terms "botters" and "script-kiddies" because hackers, for me, denotes the people who make the bots and scripts they use.

Think of it like comparing a soldier and a gunsmith. Soldiers need only as much training as how to use the guns issued to them, and are expendable. Gunsmiths are the guys who design and make those systems. In this case, change out "Soldiers" with "Botters" or "Script-Kiddies" and "Gunsmiths" with "Hackers".

Moreover, I mean that the focus should be changed to reducing the rate in which new bots are made. The botters are a threat and an immediate one, yes, but if we could steadily reduce the numbers of bots made, it would make for easier and much more noticeable bot clean up.

Here, I would compare the bots and their rate of production to a boat with a hole in it. Plug or at least shrink the hole, and the task of removing water from the boat is all the easier.

Also, you seem to make the assumption that it is a simple matter to come up with a solution AND implement it in a timely manner. Obvious barbs at Nexon's track record aside, I would wager that they are hesitant to make a more restrictive account requirement, since it would cut into availability for a game that has a low player retention rate (a problem aggravated by their own hand, no less). Moreover, because of the largely unknown nature of Nexon NA's Development team, we have no idea how qualified they are, or what drives priorities. For all we know, the reason why the Devs aren't on the botters as much as we'd like them to is that the Devs may not be formally trained in such measures. The Devs may all have gotten their degrees in Computer Science/Programming, but not in Security/Risk Analysis or Ethical Hacking.

As for solutions, I have said before that we could bind accounts to SMS verification systems, much like the Blizzard Authenticator or SteamGuard, but then that cuts off people without cellular phones (yeah, there are people out there DON'T have them). Another idea I heard and adopted as a potential solution is to make bans by MAC address, wherein the machine on which the ban was received can never play MapleStory again. Unfortunately, this has been undermined by the potential hole made by MAC address masking/spoofing.
    Bahamut_XDreamWeaver
  • OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited December 2016
    I'm honestly so disappointed with the way Luna is going at the moment.
    We have had several goldsellers in FM for days, multiple hackers are in the common hacking maps and our ranks are slowly being destroyed.

I have yet to see a single person I have reported be banned.
    Before anyone comes in saying "they'll just make a new account" well that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be banned.
    Our GMs in EMS used to ban several hundred botters on a daily basis and they kept doing it when the botters came back with new accounts. We had GMs who could have been helping with the situation right now.
    This is the worst I have seen in years of playing and I am kinda annoyed that we have been thrown into this.
    As for all the people saying "they need volunteers", well they did have a bunch of GMs from EMS they could have used.

If you want a suggestion: Hire more game masters, there is literally 0 excuses for the game to be this bad.
    YacyBahamut_XSam016Skyfall1989ZexceedmuhhamorkSlicedTime
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited December 2016
    Okhura
    Okhura said:

I'm honestly so disappointed with the way Luna is going at the moment.
    We have had several goldsellers in FM for days, multiple hackers are in the common hacking maps and our ranks are slowly being destroyed.

I have yet to see a single person I have reported be banned.
    Before anyone comes in saying "they'll just make a new account" well that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be banned.
    Our GMs in EMS used to ban several hundred botters on a daily basis and they kept doing it when the botters came back with new accounts. We had GMs who could have been helping with the situation right now.
    This is the worst I have seen in years of playing and I am kinda annoyed that we have been thrown into this.
    As for all the people saying "they need volunteers", well they did have a bunch of GMs from EMS they could have used.

If you want a suggestion: Hire more game masters, there is literally 0 excuses for the game to be this bad.
    I wish they would hire more gm for gms and ems but nope they want more $$$$$ and doesn't care about players.

• ManiOhManiOh
    Reactions: 2,155
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Yakudle
    Yakudle said:

Peep
    Peep said:

Yakudle
    Yakudle said:

it seems some players dont even know the numbers behind the scenes
    am not here to defend anyone but the ban hammer its delivered around 10k~ish times per week the few active are trying
    while others are... {data expunged}
    if anyone has the ability of helping them please do... instead of complaining about it

Yeah sure they remove around 10k a week most of which are gold spammers and low to mid level hackers and gold farmers. Do you know how many gold spammers come to fm on a daily basis? Hundreds. Take that and multiply it across all servers and then multiply it across an entire week. You have a large majority of that number which are gold spammers banned mostly.

I've known this for a long long time. This is why my countless reports on player botters and hackers never get looked into or banned. Guess what. I have about 8 ongoing hackers and botters i have reported none of which have been banned. Guess when they were reported? Up to 3 months ago. Since then nothing has been done despite follow up reports and those botters have gotten far closer to 250. I actually think they're going to make it.

This is the garbage we have to deal with. It's very easy for one of them to go and catch these guys but 3 months has gone past and nothing has been done. They literally go at it all day too. It's just a sad state of affairs. I already make their job 1000x easier with my reports and clearly explain what is going on, when to look and explain in detail how the offender is macroing and if they still can't do anything after that it's a lost cause.

that just shows another person that doesnt know and comes here to complain
    please instead of this how about giving a suggestion that actually helps them to stop the botting uh? that might help more
    eazy some things that can for sure reduce the amount by 50% minimum
    harder register system,limit period or test period on what that acc can do 1st month/week of register, monitor on ranking system,GM or you name the postion that has been or its player and knows the places and things gong on ingame and so on many things to improve....
    for a begin get luna/other servers atleast 1 gm thats online for like 1h/day

just team of GM and brainstorm am sure they can get even better ideas

offtopic a bit
    why with so much bugs/hackers and things going on
    in the last maintenance 1st priority was to reduce the amount of coins given from box and rate why?
    that was the thing that was so much abusable ? for real?untradeable mounts&chairs and few cubes? where people did enjoy and had fun legitly farm ? evo and di i dont know when was that popular in while but yea

would have been more nice if you did something about botters and the event to 200 wich gives so much meso and nx that gives this botters hackers or how you call them even more reason to do the things they do

its about time for nexon to step in and DO SOMETHING before its to late

kms merge 2017?
  • SniperBear13SniperBear13
    Reactions: 660
    edited December 2016
    a single GM is no where near enough to cover the entire game world over 20 Channels, and they wont really be able to do much about all the hackers and botters anyway. i have once seen Nexon do Mass bans and it filled the chat box for like a good 30 mins. just hundreds of names over and over and over. it didn't really do much in the end(this was back when Scania and Bera were the only GMS servers).

it would be nice to see less bots and scammers. however, i know for a fact, there will always be thousands roaming around. hackers make money off of games like this, so they have no reason to stop, and they WILL find ways around any walls that get built to stop them.
    DreamWeaver
  • ManiOhManiOh
    Reactions: 2,155
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    yea you are absolutely right but 1>0 and it can change something that will make it feel a bit better then it is
  • OkhuraOkhura
    Reactions: 4,185
    edited December 2016
    SniperBear13

a single GM is no where near enough to cover the entire game world over 20 Channels, and they wont really be able to do much about all the hackers and botters anyway. i have once seen Nexon do Mass bans and it filled the chat box for like a good 30 mins. just hundreds of names over and over and over. it didn't really do much in the end(this was back when Scania and Bera were the only GMS servers).

it would be nice to see less bots and scammers. however, i know for a fact, there will always be thousands roaming around. hackers make money off of games like this, so they have no reason to stop, and they WILL find ways around any walls that get built to stop them.
    Bans used to fill the chatbox? Wow that must have been annoying.

There will always be hackers but you can hit them hard by banning accounts. The serious ones will be using several accounts anyway to make the most profit, so even banning like 10 of their accounts will set them back a bit.
    mork
  • YonaxYonax
    Reactions: 3,016
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    The shear amount of botter/hackers we've had in Luna has been a big problem since migration. Since migration there have been 1 gm's logged in twice to Luna to be online for just over 5 minutes to remove a few spammers for selling mesos. That's immediately also concludes the whole list of bans that has been done since migration.

http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/48/coming-soon#latest

As you can see, there have been given 0 proof of any hacker/botter being banned. Since it's the biggest concern of every player at the moment, it's a very bad statement if you can't even proof that any hacker/botter which have been reported being banned. As long it's not adressed Nexon is losing way and way more money, than just hiring a couple extra GM's would cost, who don't do anything else than just check every single server for hackers. They should be able to do some more tasks ofcourse.

I have a couple of suggestions as well of course:

- Update the Ban list on a weekly base
    - Get a better hackingshield as NGS, in Luna we used to have xIGNcode3 it was so much more strict and harder to bypass for scrpities. Hacker still bypassed it, but it took them that much more time.
    - Patrol every day the common hacker locations: Colossus, NH, Wolf Spiders, Far East (Singapore).
    - Patrol every week for new locations where they might been hacking
    - Make sure every single proper reported hacker/botter gets banned (current count of reported hackers being banned is still: 0
    - Hire more GM's, for a small investment, you regain a lot more players who wanna try out the game or spent NX on it.

I hope we can get some improvement this year!

MakazeKibaBahamut_XManiOhSam016mork
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited December 2016
    Yakudle
    Yakudle said:

Peep
    Peep said:

Yakudle
    Yakudle said:

am not here to defend anyone but the ban hammer its delivered around 10k~ish times per week the few active are trying
    if anyone has the ability of helping them please do... instead of complaining about it

Yeah sure they remove around 10k a week most of which are gold spammers and low to mid level hackers and gold farmers. Do you know how many gold spammers come to fm on a daily basis? Hundreds. Take that and multiply it across all servers and then multiply it across an entire week. You have a large majority of that number which are gold spammers banned mostly.

I've known this for a long long time. This is why my countless reports on player botters and hackers never get looked into or banned. Guess what. I have about 8 ongoing hackers and botters i have reported none of which have been banned. Guess when they were reported? Up to 3 months ago. Since then nothing has been done despite follow up reports and those botters have gotten far closer to 250. I actually think they're going to make it.

This is the garbage we have to deal with. It's very easy for one of them to go and catch these guys but 3 months has gone past and nothing has been done. They literally go at it all day too. It's just a sad state of affairs. I already make their job 1000x easier with my reports and clearly explain what is going on, when to look and explain in detail how the offender is macroing and if they still can't do anything after that it's a lost cause.

that just shows another person that doesnt know and comes here to complain
    please instead of this how about giving a suggestion that actually helps them to stop the botting uh? that might help more
    Doesn't know? I know a hell of a lot more than you do. I've probably been combating botters far longer than most on this forum or game for that matter. The fact of the matter is there is a problem, suggestions have already been offered and there has been absolutely no follow up AT ALL for a very long time now. So the only thing left to do is complain about how incompetent they are. That is the plain and simple fact and until something is done it will be a vicious cycle.

So please instead of making comments like this how about you go report a botter and see how it is for yourself. Oh I know. Try getting one at Dark World Tree banned and then come back to me. Enjoy your automated response with no follow up.
    Sam016
  • detexdetex
    Reactions: 935
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    Sam016Lilyflower
  • NobleEvanNobleEvan
    Reactions: 1,440
    edited December 2016
    MakazeKiba

@Ambiv
    1. These are not hackers. At worst, they are botters, but mostly they are script-kiddies. Hackers would have us losing accounts more than losing maps.
    2. Sadly, the number of botters/script kiddies you see here is how it's been for years.

However, the problem to address is not reporting the botters. It's actually pretty easy to check and ban a botter. The hard part is being able to control the number of accounts used to bot. Specifically, bot accounts are too easy to make.
    Strange thing is we hardly had them in EMS after a certain patch. One would say if EMS can fix it, GMS ought to be able as well.

Note to Nexon:
    Please get rid of the hackers, script-kiddies, meso-seller.

Im shocked to see meso-sellers even being able to frequently use smega's. At EMS we would never have seen them again if they dare to do that. This is just saddening to see.
    Sam016Yonaxmorkmuhha
  • Sam016Sam016
    Reactions: 1,880
    edited December 2016
    Also agreeing with the above, it's stupid how there's blatant beater medal and frenzy totem abuse in reboot and no one's been banned?

As for rankings, currently the Luna hacker which I mentioned on the first page (which was removed) is almost 242. Some comments mentioned it no use to ban them as they keep coming back but what about these guys who just hack freely all the way to 250? At least ban them so they stop ruining ranks

EMS had a total of 5-6 GMs and they did fine on their own cause they knew the game, I feel like some of the ones here think its normal for blaze wizards to do full map attack
    NobleEvan
  • Skyfall1989Skyfall1989
    Reactions: 1,255
    edited December 2016
    I have reported one hackers few weeks ago, and l did provide the video that l recorded as a proof, however l do not know what action nexon took to clear these hackers.. it just made the game lose its justice, these people can hunt mesos for bill..and it destroy the free market. Eventually, they made this game lose the joy.. But it seems nexon do not do anything for it, are they lazy or they just do not care? But one thing is sure that they keep advertising their sales every few days and the sales are generally shitty. Players have made post about what likes and what to expect to see, but it is never changed, bcos simply they do not give a damn about players but profit..
    Sam016Lilyflowermork
  • AlexisShionAlexisShion
    Reactions: 905
    edited December 2016
    Neospector

Nightcrawl3r

You do know that your "official channels" do absolutely nothing when people report hackers and spammers, right?
    And the forums work even worse than they do, so please don't break the forum rules by accusing people, thank you.
    Not really, making the issue public is good enough to keep the comunity alert about whos shady and who isnt. On EMS we had this section and the Forum mods would check what where true and which werent. As simply as having a video or a SS would be enough to be posted on the forum.

Right know is like these forums are 100% useless because you guys claim has no conection with maple staff, then whats the point of a forum at all? EMS had so bad management that they had to close down the server and they still did a better job as a whole than any of you people working on GMS, how sad is that. They handled hackers by chainbaning IPs, so if someone would have been found hacking anything logged from that IP is gone. It wasnt an stupid 1month ban, where I hack the sh!t out of the game wait a month and get profit. They where perma bans for any kind of abuse, and we had legit people involved in these perma ban but in the end it was easier to check whos guilty and who isnt.

You guys say "they will create another account" I bet you if you take down 10 of these mules on fm selling their loot, checking a few maps taking them down and chainbaning them it could be a good start. But hey, what Im asking to people on a useless forum and ManapotforPP.

Hideous
    Sam016morkNobleEvanmuhhaAmbiv
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited December 2016
    Peep
    Peep said:

Yakudle
    Yakudle said:

Peep
    Peep said:

Yakudle
    Yakudle said:

Doesn't know? I know a hell of a lot more than you do. I've probably been combating botters far longer than most on this forum or game for that matter. The fact of the matter is there is a problem, suggestions have already been offered and there has been absolutely no follow up AT ALL for a very long time now. So the only thing left to do is complain about how incompetent they are. That is the plain and simple fact and until something is done it will be a vicious cycle.

So please instead of making comments like this how about you go report a botter and see how it is for yourself. Oh I know. Try getting one at Dark World Tree banned and then come back to me. Enjoy your automated response with no follow up.

Of course my point stands you dont know a thing about "combating" botters since you only report them lol
    just proves that by the way
    you cant even submit 1 suggestion post instead of complaining
    you and many just keep doing the same only complaining and it is already a vicious cycle enjoy it~
    getting one botter banned from dark world tree?

that doesnt solve anything at all
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited December 2016
    You have failed to read the post and continue posting gifs. It only makes you look worse btw. I'm pretty sure you're just being a troll at this point or incredibly stupid. The suggestions to combat botters have already been made by myself and hundreds of others before me. Which is exactly why all that's left to do is complain until something is done. Make sense for you now?

So since you have failed to read I will post once again what I said earlier and maybe this time you will read it with eyes open rather than closed.

"The fact of the matter is there is a problem, suggestions have already been offered and there has been absolutely no follow up AT ALL for a very long time now. So the only thing left to do is complain about how incompetent they are. That is the plain and simple fact and until something is done it will be a vicious cycle."

Also if you did read my earlier post properly, I told you to go out and try getting a player at Dark World tree and see how it goes so you fully understand that nothing will be done. Once you understand the situation you can come back here and read countless of suggestions in the suggestion section of this forum by people on how to combat botters and see how none of them have been implemented. After that you may actually read over your own posts in this thread and realize how silly your comments are.

Good day.
    LilyflowerdetexSam016mork
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited December 2016
    It's sad but i already got used to these hackers after playing all these yeras in GMS, but i can see how it got worst somehow, i remember how they used to ban people that were overleveled and leveling over lv200and now there are much more getting to even 250. I guess they are trying to do too much with the same amount of people, now that there's need of much more with V patch, they should have more people to prepare more and not overwork to such level.(seens that they are)
  • morkmork
    Reactions: 690
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Id like to see some sort of professional Team like we "Europe Maplestory Players" used to have in EMS be in GMS also
    the GM's in ems used to be in game all the time if not on a GM char they would be on a char playing in-game
    and as many people already said if 1 person megaphoned anything to do with anything illigal / break the ToS
    they wouldn't be seen again as they would of been banned and there would of been a ban list each week

the one GM we had on luna was not having no noticeable knowledge of maple and only patrolled the FM and henesys
    In ems our GM team was a part of the community and knew the people, they was Maple players and would do more than just patrol henesys and the fm
    they was reliable on reporting bugs to the dev team also they was a loving caring TEAM who love the game and wanted to see it become better and not filled with hackers/abusers/meso spammers as for the people who love to play games and work hard on playing and dedicating there life to a game they love would like to see none of or very little of.

I'm very disappointed as a 10 year veteran of Maplestory since the migration the spammers and hackers and bots have increase exponentially it makes the game 100% less desirable to play

PS.
    Hope something will be done about this its annoying, frustrating, and tiresome
    MakazeKibaYonaxNobleEvanmuhhaStéphySam016
  • StéphyStéphy
    Reactions: 1,440
    edited December 2016
    Hello nexon,

Alright so you want only suggestions and not rants?

Please contact EMS gm's to help you guys, cause it clearly shows you guys need help.
    Many EMS gm's wanted to tag alone but you guys didn't accepted them in your team. For idk what reason actually???
    Therefor either you guys start working yourself (what u get paid for) or get people who actually willing to do it and are good in it.
    Cause it clearly shows you guys can't handle it. (please proof me wrong, if you think you are)

Also a great tip is to actually listen to your customers, the ones who PAY for your INCOMINGS. Then to just ignore them and don't care.
    This kind of attitude showing by you guys is just disrespectfull and lame for people who play this game for many years.

Greetings,
    not so happy mapler.
    morkSam016
  • morkmork
    Reactions: 690
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Neospector

Sam016
    Sam016 said:

http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/6363/code-of-conduct#latest

I like how it says we can't report hackers on forums now
    You have never been able to. When the code of conduct was moved over, it missed the naming-shaming rule, although it was still on the books (I have enforced and reiterated it several times). The subreddit does not allow it either (they refer to it as "witch-hunting").

We do not allow it because people have, frankly, lied and faked evidence to get people banned. Moreover, we have official channels to report botters, and the forums are not that place. Accusing someone of hacking/scamming/harassment is a big claim, and wildly open to abuse, misunderstandings, and other problems.

You're free to complain about bots, but naming specific players is not allowed.
    because people lied and faked evidence to get people banned means the legit people who report them cant do so no more ?
    and isn't it your job / GM's to find out who's lying and faking things ???????????????????? and deal with them accordingly
    if i wanted to witch hunt id play a different game, this game i played all my life and never seen so many hackers / botters before and ive reported many hackers and botters before so i know what i'm talking about i'm pretty sure it don't take a genius to watch a video and see who is actually hacking/botting specially if its your job to know these things i'm sure you can tell fake from real and if you not 100% sure then that's why GMs investigate ?
    AmbivSam016Yonax