[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Unblock tunneling services for Maplestory Global.

PeepPeep
Reactions: 3,950
edited September 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Continuing from the thread on old forums- http://maplestory.nexon.net/community#/showthread.php?1551835-Unblock-tunneling-services-for-Maplestory-Global-Ping-is-ridiculous&nxid=6

As the title says. These were blocked for god knows what reason back in May 22nd 2015 following the major DDOS attacks that were happening around that time. Whether or not it was a mistake is unknown but many threads have been made in the past and all of them have gone unnoticed and have received no response from any official. Contacting live support about this issue was pointless as they don't seem to understand what it is even after linking the website and provide no useful answer to resolving this issue.

This post best describes a tunneling service.

"It's like... your normal connection to the game is a bus - it makes all sorts of unnecessary stops on it's way to your destination, so it takes longer to get there, resulting in a high ping. A program like Battleping or Mudfish or Pingzapper is like a personal car. It can take the most direct route, so it reduces travel time (ping)."

Currently this is what ping looks like if you aren't situated near the servers. Although it's more like 350ms standard. Would most likely be 150-200+ for people in EC or EU. People from East coast US, EU, Australia and other far areas in the service regions are all affected. A tunneling service would effectively bring the latency down to the correct values. Australia ping to the West Coast US should be 180-200 max yet it's 350? This is due to the horrible routes to your servers which can easily be fixed with a tunneling service. I know this because everyone who had high ping was using them before you randomly decided to block them.

http://www.basilmarket.com/Hey-has-a...Thread-b551J-1

"I've personally used it and it helped out a lot. An Aussie friend of mine also uses it and it's really the only way she's able to do dojo reasonably"

http://www.basilmarket.com/High-late...Thread-b5DKV-1

http://www.battleping.com/theforum/s...d.php?tid=1937

I have no idea why they were blocked since they pose no threat. Perhaps they were mistaken for VPNs that mask your IP and are used by botters. These services however do not mask your IP. They login with the player IP first. I'd also like to mention most of these services are used in more than 100 MMO games globally and while the publishers/devs do not support it personally they allow the use of these services in their game.
PhantomMasterThiefLilyflowerAramyIvangoldIts2Sharp4Ugenji123Celeste123

Comments

• FawkoFawko
    Reactions: 2,360
    edited September 2016
    PLEASE THIS!
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited September 2016
    Peep
    Peep said:

Continuing from the thread on old forums- http://maplestory.nexon.net/community#/showthread.php?1551835-Unblock-tunneling-services-for-Maplestory-Global-Ping-is-ridiculous&nxid=6

As the title says. These were blocked for god knows what reason back in May 22nd 2015 following the major DDOS attacks that were happening around that time. Whether or not it was a mistake is unknown but many threads have been made in the past and all of them have gone unnoticed and have received no response from any official. Contacting live support about this issue was pointless as they don't seem to understand what it is even after linking the website and provide no useful answer to resolving this issue.

This post best describes a tunneling service.

"It's like... your normal connection to the game is a bus - it makes all sorts of unnecessary stops on it's way to your destination, so it takes longer to get there, resulting in a high ping. A program like Battleping or Mudfish or Pingzapper is like a personal car. It can take the most direct route, so it reduces travel time (ping)."

Currently this is what ping looks like if you aren't situated near the servers. Although it's more like 350ms standard. Would most likely be 150-200+ for people in EC or EU. People from East coast US, EU, Australia and other far areas in the service regions are all affected. A tunneling service would effectively bring the latency down to the correct values. Australia ping to the West Coast US should be 180-200 max yet it's 350? This is due to the horrible routes to your servers which can easily be fixed with a tunneling service. I know this because everyone who had high ping was using them before you randomly decided to block them.

http://www.basilmarket.com/Hey-has-a...Thread-b551J-1

"I've personally used it and it helped out a lot. An Aussie friend of mine also uses it and it's really the only way she's able to do dojo reasonably"

http://www.basilmarket.com/High-late...Thread-b5DKV-1

http://www.battleping.com/theforum/s...d.php?tid=1937

I have no idea why they were blocked since they pose no threat. Perhaps they were mistaken for VPNs that mask your IP and are used by botters. These services however do not mask your IP. They login with the player IP first. I'd also like to mention most of these services are used in more than 100 MMO games globally and while the publishers/devs do not support it personally they allow the use of these services in their game.
    u sir are smart give this guy a medal!.

PhantomMasterThief
  • PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
    Reactions: 3,195
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    Yea please nexon unblock this my ping exceeds 400 Ms , yet when i play Ems i get the normal 80-100 Ms , It's a Huge difference will help alot of non Us Players .
    Supported.
    Raw
  • nenenenenenenenenene
    Reactions: 1,095
    edited September 2016
    Well, the way you explained it, correct me if I'm wrong: ... so it takes the DDoS attackers much less time to send their DDoS packets, just like you, to the servers, right ?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    nenenenene

Well, the way you explained it, correct me if I'm wrong: ... so it takes the DDoS attackers much less time to send their DDoS packets, just like you, to the servers, right ?
    Doesn't make any difference to DDoS, because they don't need to wait for a response to the previous packet before they send the next one.
    Lilyflower
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Can we get an Official Reply pls ? Nexon ? , I get 400Ms Ping Constantly , i can't use some skills Efficiently because it takes time until they activate, not a normal delay for the skill , but a delay for me, i have tried the skill at Ems , and i had no delay at all , Basically it ruins some skills , and make them unusable , skills that can be of great help at bossing ,training , moving etc ..... Please nexon Unblock Tunnling service, or make the servers a bit Friendlier to non Us Players , and there are A Lot of non us players
  • nenenenenenenenenene
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

nenenenene

Doesn't make any difference to DDoS, because they don't need to wait for a response to the previous packet before they send the next one.
    You don't get it or you just pretend not to. The question is NOT that they need or they don't need. The question is their time is reduced just like you. Go and google what it means by frequency...

Besides, you are dealing with the network/security department. Their job priority is NOT to make customer happy but to protect the company. Good Luck on getting any positive responses.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    nenenenene

AKradian
    AKradian said:

nenenenene

You don't get it or you just pretend not to. The question is NOT that they need or they don't need. The question is their time is reduced just like you.

An analogy:
    A normal player is like having batting practice with your friend. They pitch the ball, you swing at it, your friend catches it or runs after it, and then they throw again.
    A DDoS'er is like those batting-practice machines, rapid-firing balls at you at whatever pace they're set to. There's nothing stopping them from firing another ball at you while the first one - or the first dozen - is still in the air.
    Even if the machine shooting the balls is halfway around the planet from you, and it takes each ball 10 hours to get to you, they will still come at you at the same rate that the machine fired them. They'll just do it 10 hours later.
    Lilyflower
  • nenenenenenenenenene
    edited October 2016
    Your analogy only covers DDoS but not tunneling.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    nenenenene

Your analogy only covers DDoS but not tunneling.
    It shows that tunneling doesn't make a difference to DDoS.

Let me continue my analogy: Let's say you dig a tunnel through the center of the Earth, so that now the balls your friend is pitching (through that tunnel) reach you in 2 hours instead of 10. You two are much happier now.
    Now let's say the DDoS'er uses your tunnel too, and their balls also reach you in 2 hours.
    Either way, when their barrage of balls reaches you, you will crash. Whether it is 10 hours after they started their machine, or only 2, doesn't matter. You're going to crash either way. (And if you somehow become fast enough to be able to bat 10,000 balls per second, you'd be able to cope with their barrage equally well, regardless of when it hits).
    Lilyflower
  • yannickyannick
    Reactions: 340
    edited November 2016
    bump, especially with the EU merge it'd be great if we could at least lower our ping to the US servers.. I've got quite a few friends on there I'd like to play with.
  • PeepPeep
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, following the merger there's really no reason why this should still be blocked. Nexon loads of other MMO publishers and devs allow the use of these services on their game. They don't support them which is fine but they allow the use of them. By not allowing them you're only hindering the gaming experience to people with higher latency. Some people don't even dare touch games if it is deemed "unplayable" due to high latency so any reduction would surely help people not near the West coast.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, it's really hard to enjoy the game with ping, specially if you are doing some hard bosses or playing a class with many freatures like kinesis, you just lose too much dps, and you can't even think to compete with NA players.
  • yannickyannick
    Reactions: 340
    edited November 2016
    bump, a word on this would be appreciated.
  • PeepPeep
    edited November 2016
    Is this ever going to happen...?
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    ~BUMP~ Please Make This Happen : D
    Lilyflower
  • ClawStaffClawStaff
    Reactions: 2,950
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    They won't make this happen, because it goes against their own TOS disallowing 3rd party programs.
  • PeepPeep
    edited November 2016
    ClawStaff
    ClawStaff said:

They won't make this happen, because it goes against their own TOS disallowing 3rd party programs.
    It's funny you should mention that because it's also in the TOS for all those other MMOs. A service that helps out people and makes the game playable to people who otherwise probably wouldn't even touch the game can only be seen as a good thing. Why do you think they make this an exception?

Take Aion as an example. Horrible netcode and horrible routes to their servers for pretty much everyone besides the people who lived in Texas which is where the servers are hosted. Battleping a tunneling service fixed this issue for many people. Had a friend from Seattle use it. He used to have 80-90ms ping to Aion servers and after he used battleping his ping dropped to 30-40. People who are further out get even bigger drops up to 50% and believe me it's noticeable. Even NCsoft publisher acknowledged that people really need it.

This is exactly why it NEEDS to happen for Maplestory. It's pretty much the only MMO that has these services blocked.
    PhantomMasterThief
  • GabezinGabezin
    Reactions: 305
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Super BUMP. This needs to happen as soon as possible!

I get 800ms+ PING on Reboot on any day, 2x event or not, day or night.

Some classes are unplayable, like Blade Wizard (which Orbital Flame orbs depend on a server response), and other combo ones like Thunder Breaker.
    PhantomMasterThief
  • PeepPeep
    edited December 2016
    Waiting for an update on this...