[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Urgent request to change description

ChaoCutieChaoCutie
Reactions: 510
edited April 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Please see http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/11581/very-dangerous-item for details. Basically, the description for the Amazing Helium Gas can be construed as encouragement for people to start huffing, which can end up being deadly. I request at least a small disclaimer be put on the item not to do this, as soon as possible, even if there has to be an emergency maintenance to do so (and I really dislike emergency maintenance from being done if it can be helped).

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    It would require more than a maintenance. It would require a patch to the client.

I seriously doubt you'd be able to convince Nexon of the importance of this, in a game where we run around with sharp weapons, are expected to die multiple times in certain boss fights, and earn an achievement for taking damage while falling down from great heights 100 times. As I said in the other thread: Recently, we were encouraged to inject chocolate directly into our veins. Right now we have an event that's all about flying by riding rockets. The game is chock-full of things you should Not Try At Home. If it's any consolation, hardly anyone reads any text in the game, either item descriptions or quest instructions.

I am sorry for whatever real-life tragedy has made you so sensitive to this particular issue, but the truth is that if someone is that impressionable, they should not be playing any sort of fantasy game.

That, at least, is my opinion, as a player.
    AlexFCatoooloooRegretfuIlyTanya
  • ChaoCutieChaoCutie
    edited April 2017
    I get that, and I'm lucky that no sort of real life tragedy related to this has happened to me or those close to me. It still is fairly over the line, encouraging what would be on par with drug abuse. Nobody would realistically think that injecting chocolate or falling down from heights, or getting into violent fights in the real world would be 'a good idea'. However, inhaling helium has lead to deaths of people who did not realize this was dangerous, and the item in question says it's 'amazing' and even heals HP and MP. Regardless of Nexon's intent, the takeaway from someone not knowing the danger this could cause could end up encouraging damage to an innocent.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited April 2017
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited April 2017
    youre kidding right?

itd be a cold day in hell when you hear someone say, " maplestory made me do it" i dont think they need to do anything about disclaimers and changing descriptions. The majority of the player base dont need stuff like that. If youre a parent and your little kid plays maplestory, the parent should tell them. Maplestory obviously doesnt push anything violent or drug related. They dont even say " kill x amount of enemies" they say "defeat x amount of monsters"

why is this even an issue for you, how many people do you know that are huffing helium?
    RegretfuIly
  • RegretfuIlyRegretfuIly
    Reactions: 1,235
    edited April 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    It would require more than a maintenance. It would require a patch to the client.

I seriously doubt you'd be able to convince Nexon of the importance of this, in a game where we run around with sharp weapons, are expected to die multiple times in certain boss fights, and earn an achievement for taking damage while falling down from great heights 100 times. As I said in the other thread: Recently, we were encouraged to inject chocolate directly into our veins. Right now we have an event that's all about flying by riding rockets. The game is chock-full of things you should Not Try At Home. If it's any consolation, hardly anyone reads any text in the game, either item descriptions or quest instructions.

I am sorry for whatever real-life tragedy has made you so sensitive to this particular issue, but the truth is that if someone is that impressionable, they should not be playing any sort of fantasy game.

That, at least, is my opinion, as a player.

Not only this, but also keep in mind that the majority of the player base is 16 and over, so anyone that's actually reckless enough to try something they read in an MMO item description should either find another game to play, or seek professional help to deal with any psychological issues that would other wise cause them to consciously make that kind of decision.
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    You see people ingest helium and make funny voices in movies rated for everyone. There's no need for an "emergency maintenance" and when you buy helium tanks there are proper warnings/labels on them and directions on proper use.
  • ChaoCutieChaoCutie
    edited April 2017
    I'm not speaking to the vast majority of people that have common sense and knowledge about this. If even one person foolishly does, it would be on Nexon's head, and I wouldn't want that to happen.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited April 2017
    ChaoCutie wrote: »
    I'm not speaking to the vast majority of people that have common sense and knowledge about this. If even one person foolishly does, it would be on Nexon's head, and I wouldn't want that to happen.

so you're saying that it's more likely for someone to get a foolish and deadly idea from maplestory than it is from any of the kids shows they are probably watching (like spongebob, gumball..etc)?

I say, if a kid has made it this far and were lucky to somehow avoid doing all the dangerous stuff you can watch on youtube with videos of people doing stupid things, or see it happen in a cartoon and go "I should do that too", then I think they can resist the urge because both cartoons and youtube have a higher consumption to general public than maplestory.

now if you excuse me, I have to go inject 50cc's of chocolate into my veins because maplestory compels me to.
    edited April 2017

There wouldnt be a case. It wouldnt be negligence, nexon wouldnt be at fault should something happen. Theyre etc drops to fill up balloons, the characters themselves dont physically ingest the helium to get a buff, nothing crazy happens with the helium. Youre overthinking this.
    Bellamazed
  • ChaoCutieChaoCutie
    edited April 2017
    Yet again you are trying to discredit by the vast majority that would know better. They are the ones I'm not worried about. And I've actually talked to a lawyer for California at this point. Yes, yes they could be held liable for something like this. Never underestimate the California judicial system to side heavily with a victim.
    edited April 2017
    Yet again you are trying to discredit by the vast majority that would know better. They are the ones I'm not worried about. And I've actually talked to a lawyer for California at this point. Yes, yes they could be held liable for something like this. Never underestimate the California judicial system to side heavily with a victim.

Theyre limited liability, in the terms of agreement you agree you wont hold nexon accountable should you do anything stupid and suffer consequences.
    edited April 2017

I spoke to the Attorney general and the District Attorney and looks like youre wrong
  • UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited April 2017
    How would a child get helium?
    If someone is legitimately not taking care of their child and allows them to inhale loads of helium, then the parent is at fault and should be held accountable, not some stupid game with a dumb description. You're worrying far too much, to the point where it's rather irrational. The chances of Nexon being sued are PHENOMENALLY low, and the chances of the person suing actually winning is even lower.
    DarkPassengerBellamazed
    edited April 2017
    Uzume wrote: »
    How would a child get helium?
    If someone is legitimately not taking care of their child and allows them to inhale loads of helium, then the parent is at fault and should be held accountable, not some stupid game with a dumb description. You're worrying far too much, to the point where it's rather irrational. The chances of Nexon being sued are PHENOMENALLY low, and the chances of the person suing actually winning is even lower.

Not just that if they were to sue nexon, the probability they would win is in the decimals. not because of the power of nexon but because the terms and agreements limit the liability they would face.
  • ChaoCutieChaoCutie
    edited April 2017
    Attorney General and DA only deal with criminal cases, not civil ones. Also, I am aware of the arbitration clause in the terms of service. They don't apply to those who haven't agreed, such as parents of teenagers who play, and still have to take care of their teenage children. Again and again you bring up 'probably' and 'most likely'. I'm not speaking to that at all, for like the third time. It's still possible, and honestly even outside of legal reasonings, it's still can be a PR nightmare if this gets out.
    edited April 2017
    Attorney General and DA only deal with criminal cases, not civil ones. Also, I am aware of the arbitration clause in the terms of service. They don't apply to those who haven't agreed, such as parents of teenagers who play, and still have to take care of their teenage children. Again and again you bring up 'probably' and 'most likely'. I'm not speaking to that at all, for like the third time. It's still possible, and honestly even outside of legal reasonings, it's still can be a PR nightmare if this gets out.

I brought up the attorney general and Da to make fun of you. the terms and agreement begin at inception, when you create the account.
    I seem to notice you're grasping a straws. It's illogical anyway you put it, blaming a game developer for someone huffing helium. Game developers handle PR through forums, not the same way as bigger companies do. If you were to sue Nexon for your kid huffing helium, youd lose.

it's parallel to the "games cause violence", it never sticks in arguments or cases. it'd be negligence on the parents part for not teaching the kids the dangers of those types of activities. Nexon isnt telling you to do helium. Helium is in the for the purpose it serves in real life, to blow up balloons.
    edited April 2017

As far as pr is concerned, it wouldnt be much done to the reputation of nexon, it wouldnt be their fault.
  • ChaoCutieChaoCutie
    edited April 2017
    Just because you would hold Nexon blameless, does not mean others wouldn't. "That wouldn't happen because reasons" isn't really convincing to me, when I'm actually giving reasons.
    edited April 2017
    Just because you would hold Nexon blameless, does not mean others wouldn't. "That wouldn't happen because reasons" isn't really convincing to me, when I'm actually giving reasons.

I dont have to convince you. It is what it is, you personally may try to hold them responsible, but it wont stick. trying to convince you about a fact is like trying to convince you grass is wet in the rain, you can clearly see it's wet.

what would your evidence be that supports the claim nexon would be responsible?
    edited April 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    I had remembered reading something about this before about a game developer being sued because of the content. Unfortunately, it appears precedent has been set already for this to not be a viable lawsuit;
    "In dismissing the case, US district Judge Edward Johnstone said the video-game makers could not foresee what Michael, then 14, would do. He also said the games are media not subject to product-liability law."

You can look up his opinion, but most likely this would be the ruling that other judges would use in dismissing the case. You are correct; if something were to happen, it would be a tricky liability case, and would probably not look great in terms of media coverage.
    I would hope parents are overseeing what children are doing on the internet, and if they come across this item.. that they take a moment to explain to their children how helium can be dangerous when inhaled.

DarkPassengers, you don't need to mock somebody for having an opinion of something. In fact, when you do - it makes you look very small and doesn't reinforce your opinions in the least.

i am pretty small, Im 5 ft tall