[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.248 - Strawberry Farm Festival Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

How was your IGN invented?

DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
Reactions: 7,195
edited April 2017 in General Chat
I was wondering how you guys invented the IGN of your mains. Does it mean anything special to you, was it random, or plain cool looking?

Please tell me the story behind your IGNs :P.

earlzork

Comments

• _Cas__Cas_
    Reactions: 1,160
    edited April 2017
    My IGN: limes

Reason: I love limes.

Pretty straight forward :p
    JettLuvsUOneLetterSparklee
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 2017
    I've told this story before, but I used to play Neopets when I was younger. I wanted a cool name, so I decided on "specter" as in "ghost", which my pre-pubescent brain decided to spell as "spector".

Neo(pets) + "Spector" = Neospector

As for my main, "Artulian", I think I pulled if off of a fantasy name generator and tweaked it until it was accepted. That's typically how I do all my character names now.
    AngelRose59JettLuvsUOneLetter
  • AngelRose59AngelRose59
    Reactions: 1,360
    edited April 2017
    I still Play Neopets :D I haven't in a very long time, but I do plan on revisiting my characters sometime in the future :D

My IGN's mostly have the name ROSE in them, because I love that name, and I love that flower, too. :D I have an Aunt by that name, but she is in Heaven now. She was my Mom's Sister. I really loved both of those ladies and all of my Aunts and Uncles and Cousins, too. :D

On my Farm, I am naming some of my monsters after the animals that I had while growing up or have had over the last years. :D

So, that is how my names are established. :D
    JettLuvsUOneLetter
  • UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited April 2017
    My Zero's IGN is Chrodite, which is a mix of Chronos and Aphrodite. Chronos since, ya know, Gods of time and Aphrodite because I love Aphrodite.
    JettLuvsUTanyaOneLetter
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    Neospector wrote: »
    I've told this story before, but I used to play Neopets when I was younger. I wanted a cool name, so I decided on "specter" as in "ghost", which my pre-pubescent brain decided to spell as "spector".

Neo(pets) + "Spector" = Neospector

LOL I used to prepend "Neo" to words and use the result as my IGN too. My first RuneScape (and MapleStory) char was named Neopian1, but I got a lot of hate cuz neopets was a "baby" game lol. So for later chars I just used "Neo" plus whatever. I wasn't very creative though. NeoMaging for an i/l, NeoSniping for an xbowman... before that I used Neothedude and Neotheguy, cuz I had a friend who named his chars Jackthedude or something.

My old main was a marksman named PhineasFlynn, cuz I was into Phineas and Ferb at the time. Even had a robo named Perry.

My current name is Amayzee, cuz Amazy Dayzees from Paper Mario. No idea why. I guess I was into Paper Mario at the time? I loved the original and TTYD. I feel like changing it though. I wanna change to Gumball, cuz TAWoG, but it doesn't seem to suit my char...

And forum name is the best pokemon ever. Would LOVE to have it be my main's name, but it's taken. I do have the version with just the accented i, but I dunno how I feel about using accented characters lol.
    JettLuvsUOneLetter
  • scholar624scholar624
    Reactions: 3,315
    edited May 2017
    Over 10 years ago, I started Maplestory as my first Mass Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game as a brief respite in between community college and working abysmal shifts waiting tables beneath a corporate glass ceiling. The cleric AngelScholar was the first character I ever made and still lovingly return to when fiddling with various game styles of other MS characters. He is not exactly an accurate reflection of myself, but rather two simple words forming an example describing someone I wish I could be.

Angels, radiant beings commonly renown as bringers of hope, strength, and guidance during dark times of great strife. I wanted to play as someone who could mends wounds and lovingly support others even if becoming completely inept at fighting. Naturally, this would draw me towards choosing the cleric branch. A decision this avatar would never reconsider even when swayed from observing others performing spectacular abilities during training sessions.

Then there's scholar...An intellectual dedicated to studying the fields of science, mathematics, and fine arts, discovering lost logic interwoven between various concepts and applying new found knowledge in solving some of today's toughest problems. Even if commonly stereotyped wearing glasses and carrying a book of some sort, this was an accurate representation of myself having been born near-sided and developing a love for mystery novels. If not carrying a mystery novel, at least a notebook of some type for organizing thoughts or recording journal entries even when on the go.

Both concepts share a common thread. It is to help others solve problems and through helping help others in return, finding one's own place in life. Even after 10 years, 2 college degrees, and countless adventures later, our goals and means have remain unchanged: strive for a place to start a new chapter in life and a brighter tomorrow through assisting others. Maybe someday, we might find our own little piece of heaven.
    OneLetter
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited May 2017
    iAAfKn3.png

tumblr_ok12lojpQU1qehrvso1_500.gif

I like to cosplay characters that I see in Anime
    AlexFJettLuvsUSorrowLusttouOneLetterArwoofoussiremix
  • TanyaTanya
    Reactions: 1,230
    edited May 2017
    I wanted the IGN Luna but it was taken, so I added an "i" and an extra "n" for the IGN Liunna and I love it so much that I use it for all the games I play :)
    OneLetter
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited May 2017
    I name all my characters based on their theme, example: named my reboot phantom RoyalFlushed due to the card system and thats one of the best hands you can get in poker. My windia dual blade used to be overiide, when he was a night lord, sounds like a nightlord name, now hes DrivingForce because dual blades push forward. Then there are a few that are just for fun, my paladin is named 1knightstand, play on words, and my windia phantom is named Clasanova, spin off casanova, because phantoms use canes and phantom is the most romantic from the classes, based on his storyline and the cutscenes.
    OneLetter
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    edited May 2017
    My IGN is Daxterbeer

The first part of my name is "Daxter." He is named after the Ottsel, Daxter from the Playstation series. I didn't use the name Jak because Jak didn't have dialogue except for his fighting sounds.

Daxter's death commentary is hilarious, but the way he speaks to NPCs is so rude but funny at the same time. When the Fisherman in Forbidden Jungle wondered why couldn't catch anything, Daxter commented that it was probably that the Fisherman had bad breath. He also gives Jak funny advice.

latest?cb=20150310213100

Before I explain further, I DO NOT AND PROBABLY WILL NOT CONSUME ANY ALCOHOL. The part "beer" from a Jak and Daxter video with The Beer Song by Weird Al Yankovic. It combines

All characters I create have the "Dax" in the either at the end, front or middle of their name. Some of my first characters from the Alliance update don't have the name "Dax" in them. The name "Dax" is considered a "royal name" as I never create mules with the "Dax" in its name unless they are in the same Nexon ID (my mules aren't considered worthy of the "Dax" title.)

JettLuvsUOneLetterscholar624
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited May 2017
    Matesword = Mates came from the pencil "Paper Mate" + word came from what you generally write with them. I'm assuming I added an s for the meaning of "Mates" as in a group of people. However everyone assumes it's Mate-sword, so I just kept me leash from arguing on it's creation. How it became a Fire/Poison Mage and not a Warrior (since Pirates never existed) remains a mystery.

Its2Sharp4U = I'm pretty darn sure this was self explanatory. Originally came from Dual Blades and you have two sharp weapons, a Dagger and Katara. I have another character made before this named Itis2Sharp4U but I quit that world. I didn't expect to become so strong as of today, but I'm not the best.
    JettLuvsUOneLetter
  • XelthineXelthine
    Reactions: 1,525
    edited May 2017
    I played World of Warcraft for quite some time, and at some point I named myself Enethil which is basically just Menethil (A royal family name in warcraft lore) minus the M.

I also am a big fan of Kingdom Hearts.
    A few years later, I made a new character which I named Xelthine which is an Anagram of Enethil plus an X, which is how the names in Organization XIII is decided.
    I've stuck with this name ever since.
    JettLuvsUNeospectorOneLetter
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    My IGN foussi or foussiremix
    Well its my real life name in reverse with some letters switched.
    Remix came from nowhere.
    OneLetter
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited May 2017
    Well, I have two main sources of names, one of which I don't use anymore.

The first one originated from Beyblade actually. I loved the Libra top, and I named my second character (My first was an aran I only got to 50 in Zenith so I don't count it :p) SncLibraFury which is based on the trademark attack "Sonic Libra Fury" I just compressed sonic into Snc. Since then it's evolved to Snc -something related to the class I'm making that's only 4/5 letters- and Fury. I have changed it around a couple times. Like my Ab is named SncShineAura.

The other source of names were character names from a book series I was super into around 7th grade called "Warriors" Which was about a bunch of ridiculously self aware cats that formed communities and fought a ton. Imagine four tyrants with a deputy all living together in an area. It doesn't go well. Anyways, the characters have cool names like "JayFrost" or "LionBlade" Kind of cheesy, but still ok.
    JettLuvsUOneLetter
  • DaisukeHarutoDaisukeHaruto
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited May 2017
    most of the names I use are either my story characters (jackDesert being one of them) or based on foreign words (SilNathair my firepoison mage - Nathair means Serpent and Sil because it rolls into the next part really elegantly.)
    JettLuvsUOneLetter
  • TashieTashie
    Reactions: 1,450
    edited May 2017
    I was literally watching animal planet lol idk why i was bored and it was the time BT's 1st came to Reboot and i was thinking of how cute and fluffy animals are xD hence I came up with Fluffaroos lmao; My IL mage i came up with because i love Mystique in x-men hence Mystifies xD i know its off but it was the closest I came to making something similar lol
    JettLuvsUOneLetter
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited May 2017
    Named my wild hunter NoWorldOrder because of the implication of the law of the jungle and they use jaguars
    OneLetter
  • BruiseBruise
    Reactions: 1,375
    edited May 2017
    I've said this before in one of the Look of the Month contests, so it allowed me to reflect on this.

I had always been into Maple fashion and I wanted my character to embody a piece of art, and I thought of the name Mosaic. It has a nice sound to it and is an artsy name. It doesn't even necessarily go with the class.

Hey, where is our painter class!?
    OneLetter
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    edited May 2017
    I got some other character IGNs

OmnidroidDax (Mechanic)- My signature "Dax" + The Omnidroid from the Incredibles
    MitosisATTDax (Shade)- My signature "Dax" + mitosis based off Shade's ability to spit monsters
    OneLetter
  • OneLetterOneLetter
    Reactions: 6,380
    edited May 2017
    I had to like every post in this thread, because these are always my favorite kinds of posts. It's fascinating to me where everyone gets their names from that they continue to use across, sometimes, every site they visit. It's also fun to look back and see what past names you regret or moved on from.

Mine is just because my first name is a single letter, by birth. Trying to register a single letter on just about anything is impossible, and I kept having to explain "It's not J-A-Y, it's just one letter".

Ta-dah?
    FennekinJettLuvsUAlexFInvulgoDarkPassengerscholar624Its2Sharp4U