[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Unecessary Censoring of: Korean Girl

YuniorYunior
Reactions: 1,575
edited December 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I was speaking to a female friend who happens to be a Korean girl and I called her a cute Korean girl and since the 2 words Korean andGirl were censored she mistakenly thought I was offending her, it took me a while to reason with her and she realized it was a censoring mistake. I am not trolling at all you guys can try it for yourselves. I just don't understand why that phrase is censored...

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2016
    "Best girl" is also pointlessly censored.

We almost had a less-restrictive word censor, but the censor broke entirely and the community went on a rampage with curse words. Which is really not the kind of thing you want if you're trying to show a game dev you're mature enough to handle a game with no censor.
    Many players are still petitioning for a less restrictive word censor, including myself. I've been thinking of maybe compiling a list of words that don't need to be censored to submit as feedback, but after the holidays would be better.
    TrayseeJettLuvsUthatplant
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    Reactions: 3,415
    edited December 2016
    I'm on board with this. Maplestory has one of the most wretched chat filtration systems I've ever seen in an MMO, and I've been around the block a few. They can do a better job with filtering out the heavier cuss words without tearing our conversations to shreds. It's the words from commonly used phrases that butt together to partially form a 'bad' word that get censored which becomes frustrating when trying to communicate in MS text chat.

Atop that, you can't see when you get censored in your own text feed, so it complicates things even worse, because you don't know when your words just got star'd unless some one else tells you.
    RissanessSlicedTimethatplant
  • TrayseeTraysee
    Reactions: 730
    edited December 2016
    Neospector

"Best girl" is also pointlessly censored.

We almost had a less-restrictive word censor, but the censor broke entirely and the community went on a rampage with curse words. Which is really not the kind of thing you want if you're trying to show a game dev you're mature enough to handle a game with no censor.
    Many players are still petitioning for a less restrictive word censor, including myself. I've been thinking of maybe compiling a list of words that don't need to be censored to submit as feedback, but after the holidays would be better.
    I really like you.
    Rissaness
  • SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,375
    edited December 2016
    Hm really? Last time I've been active in the community, about every cuss word was uncensored x'D
    Though over on Mabinogi, I've seen the word 'swap' censored.
    Is it any different on MapleStory lul
  • Celeste123Celeste123
    Reactions: 840
    edited December 2016
    Yes please! Tone down the absurd censor or maybe just give us an option to toggle the censor on/off instead like they do on the other MMO of the world
    The FCC just called and said they got nothing on you...

Nexon, maybe just write a legal disclaimer in the TOS to cover your butts? If it takes that, cause you are worried people will sue you when their 7 years old special snowflake/perfect little angel learned a dirty word from a chat in an online video game! gasp

Sherri it is quite different in Maplestory because it is hardly a thing to write out a sentence without seeing this sort of thing->
    "Hey l* * *an help, the mob i* ***ting hard" <- like that all over.
    And that is not an exaggeration, I see sentences in chats of MS that looks like that all the time lol
    Rissaness
  • PorterPorter
    Reactions: 1,135
    edited April 2017
    "Asian girl" also gets censored so I'm quite sure they were aiming to censor out any "fetishes" but that still is unnecessary because how often is someone using it in that context..?
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited April 2017
    We took a look recently at the list of censored words and made many changes.
    No promises on when we'll see the changes made into live, but the unnecessary censorship is absolutely something we're working on.

Arwoooo~
    AlexFJettLuvsUFennekin
  • ArwooArwoo
    edited April 2017
    Greetings everyone,

We have received word on when we will see the updated list of censored words introduced onto live.
    We're expecting the changes to take place with the next update in early May.

Please note that this will not be the final edit and that we plan to continue making changes down the line.
    As our language evolves so must our censored words in-game!

Thank you,
    Arwoooo~
    AKradianJettLuvsUAlexFFennekinJuly
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Greetings everyone,

We have received word on when we will see the updated list of censored words introduced onto live.
    We're expecting the changes to take place with the next update in early May.

Please note that this will not be the final edit and that we plan to continue making changes down the line.
    As our language evolves so must our censored words in-game!

Thank you,
    Arwoooo~

Thank you for letting us know.
    Looking forward to more normal conversations.
  • ArwooArwoo
    edited April 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    Nice, this is something everyone has really wanted.

Do you have any teasers as to what words we will be able to use now?

"Who are you to ask me for a teaser? You can always Google it instead of asking me, please.
    Offtopic: I used to be a huge fan of Gunbound."

We were sure to remove more that wasn't mentioned in the thread, but we'll see if further adjustments are needed once it's live.
    Additionally, we'll be making more suggestions to the in-game censorship such as addressing the one which prevents players from seeing if their own text was censored.
    AlexF
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017

"Who are you to ask me for a teaser? You can always Google it instead of asking me, please.
    Those're the only three I recognized lol. Not sure if the 1st one is still censored.
    The three I run into whenever I try doing anything with anyone are "beat me", "if u can", and "can all", so I really hope at least those made the list...
    JettLuvsURissaness
  • ArwooArwoo
    edited April 2017
    Fennekin wrote: »

Those're the only three I recognized lol. Not sure if the 1st one is still censored.
    The three I run into whenever I try doing anything with anyone are "beat me", "if u can", and "can all", so I really hope at least those made the list...

No need to bite! You can all rest assured that no one beat me to the punch. I'm not too sure if u can make a better example than all these. I'm sure most would drop the balls.
    JettLuvsUAlexFFennekin
  • KlaraKlara
    Reactions: 3,385
    edited April 2017
    Can the word "chosen" be uncensored as well please? I don't even know why it's filtered out in the first place.
  • AlanDahManAlanDahMan
    Reactions: 610
    edited May 2017
    They should totally change this. What they are censoring are just very random. This system is ridiculous.
  • Xenon92Xenon92
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited May 2017
    Amusement is censored for some reason lol
  • FennekinFennekin
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Xenon92 wrote: »
    Is it that part that's censored lol?

Another one I thought of was "let's muto". I'm ashamed of myself for knowing what that word is.
  • Xenon92Xenon92
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited May 2017

Another one I thought of was "let's muto". I'm ashamed of myself for knowing what that word is.

oh thats why its censored... Seriously didn't realize Semen was in Amusement LOL.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017

oh thats why its censored... Seriously didn't realize Semen was in Amusement LOL.

Well, I guess it's true what they say - can't spell amusement without..... that.
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited May 2017
    tbh I'd also like to be able to say things like "it's my first time doing this boss" and "20 million mesos"
  • SashiSashi
    Reactions: 790
    edited May 2017
    Is there no chance of just getting a "Turn on/off" option for filtering language? It seems a bit old fashion to keep a list of words censored than just toggling on and off I would think..