[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

MapleStory 2 release date please?

Cartoondude135Cartoondude135
Reactions: 640
edited January 2017 in Non-GMS Content Discussion
Don't tell me MS2 is gonna be released 2 years, 1 month, and 11-12 days from Korea's release date like it did for MapleStory! My hands are shaking uncontrollably with my Wii remote in my right hand, my iPhone in my left hand, and my iPad on my head and I want that game out now so that I can get my hands on the game models and convert them to be used in MMD! When is MapleStory 2 gonna be released in North America? Please say you have answers! The suspense is killing me.

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2017
    Simple answer is no one knows. I would play it safe, if I were you, and not get my hopes too high for a 2017 release.
  • serveyou123serveyou123
    Reactions: 750
    edited April 2017
    Check out this site for information about MS2 release date: http://www.maplestory2training.com/maplestory-2-us-release-date/
  • SealSeal
    Reactions: 1,310
    edited April 2017
    I wonder if Nexon NA will even license MS2 since Maplestory isn't as popular in NA compared to South Korea. I mean, just look at the game selection Nexon Korea has compared to Nexon NA. It's not like Nexon NA get the games for free, they have to license and pay money for these games. Their thought process is probably something along the lines of whether it's worth the risk licensing another Maplestory title. It's either a hit outside of the Maplestory community and makes money, or it'll just cause a shift between MS and MS2. MS players will try out MS2, but it's the question on whether they'll completely migrate to MS2, stay on MS due to their investments, or possibly actively play both. I mean the hype for MS2 is from current MS players, so either way it's like they would be paying more for the same player base that may or may not spend more, and due to Maplestory's P2W nature, the downward trend of P2W games, and Nexon's currently reputation on such matters, I find it will be difficult for Nexon to attract new paying customers.
    serveyou123WatcherCCGFirewolfslayerSherriLyeden
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited April 2017
    Seal wrote: »
    I wonder if Nexon NA will even license MS2 since Maplestory isn't as popular in NA compared to South Korea. I mean, just look at the game selection Nexon Korea has compared to Nexon NA. It's not like Nexon NA get the games for free, they have to license and pay money for these games. Their thought process is probably something along the lines of whether it's worth the risk licensing another Maplestory title. It's either a hit outside of the Maplestory community and makes money, or it'll just cause a shift between MS and MS2. MS players will try out MS2, but it's the question on whether they'll completely migrate to MS2, stay on MS due to their investments, or possibly actively play both. I mean the hype for MS2 is from current MS players, so either way it's like they would be paying more for the same player base that may or may not spend more and due to Maplestory's P2W nature, the downward trend of P2W games, and Nexon's currently reputation on such matters I find it will be difficult for Nexon to attract new paying customers.

youre right about the licensing thing, if maplestory is not as popular, they would probably think what would make maplestory 2 popular. To license it might cost them more than they;; produce in revenue from it.
  • SealSeal
    Reactions: 1,310
    edited April 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    Everything here plus the fact that MS2 isn't doing super hot in Korea.
    MapleStory is more successful.
    Yep, pretty much owe it's success to being one of the first free-to-play MMO's and the nostalgia associated since many people were able to start and play at such a young age because it was free. I mean that's pretty much the only reason I still play and hang around.
  • Cartoondude135Cartoondude135
    edited May 2017
    Nexon Corporation or anyone out there, please post answers on this thread ASAP.

It's past mid May 2017 at the time of this comment post and I (in fact we all) wanna know for crying out loud,
    WHEN IS MAPLESTORY 2 GONNA BE RELEASED IN NORTH AMERICA?!?!?!?!??!?!

Like, I looked at MS1 and seen that it was released in KOR: 2003-04-29 and NA: 2005-05-11.

Ok, I seem to have miscalculated something earlier, but.............

Ok, so by looking at this time frame, GMS was released 2 years, and 12 days from KMS's release date. MS2 was released in 7-7-2015 for KOR. So I estimate it will be released on 7-19-2017 which is July 19 of 2017. So we have about 2 months left til the estimated (that's estimated) release date. So we don't have long to go! (Is it safe to say "All aboard the hype train!"?)

But anyways, yeah. If anyone catches wind of MS2's release date, please notify me ASAP by commenting in this thread. Please and thank you. Because some of the models in the game are perfect to be ported to MikuMikuDance.
    JettLuvsU
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    Reactions: 1,520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    >:)

There is no news on even the alpha yet July 2017 seems unlikely or the buzz would start happening now lol

My guess is an alpha will start in late 2018. It might not even make it past the Alpha Stage. A lot of games (ex: Sugar Rush) had closed beta then got shut down. Even if it does come to NA, will they have the player-base??

A lot of factors can tank the game before it is even out of Alpha if/when Alpha is even announced, it is best not to get too excited or those chickens you counted might be eternal resting in their egg. ;)

>:)
    edited May 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    Everything here plus the fact that MS2 isn't doing super hot in Korea.
    MapleStory is more successful.

Wait................... what do you mean by that? :/
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited May 2017

In the Korean market, Maplestory 2 isn't (or wasn't, I'm unsure of its popularity currently) doing as well as Maplestory. This is because of a number of factors, like poor advertising.
    A similar issue occurred with the Wii U; Nintendo poorly advertised the system and many people thought it was an extension of the Wii, resulting in lower sales, despite quite a few of the games being quite good.

Overall there's no official release date that I've heard off, either officially from Nexon or from community reports. Only speculation based on supposed job offers related to MS2 appearing and disappearing from the Nexon website. So, we'll see what happens when it happens if it happens, nothing's confirmed or denied and it's mostly up in limbo for now.
    AlexF
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Neospector wrote: »

In the Korean market, Maplestory 2 isn't (or wasn't, I'm unsure of its popularity currently) doing as well as Maplestory. This is because of a number of factors, like poor advertising.
    A similar issue occurred with the Wii U; Nintendo poorly advertised the system and many people thought it was an extension of the Wii, resulting in lower sales, despite quite a few of the games being quite good.

Overall there's no official release date that I've heard off, either officially from Nexon or from community reports. Only speculation based on supposed job offers related to MS2 appearing and disappearing from the Nexon website. So, we'll see what happens when it happens if it happens, nothing's confirmed or denied and it's mostly up in limbo for now.

lol it's not because of poor advertising it's because Koreans are so invested in MapleStory 1 . Besides MapleStory 2 has a good player based and it would do better over here than in Korea because we don't have as many people playing MapleStory 1 as Korea does. Maple players over here want a new experience like MapleStory 2 over a grind based game like MapleStory 1. Different games please different markets. But you can also take in to account that there games are better managed...
    JubJub
    edited May 2017

I see.

Well, there are alot of weird things in this world. Like that Gangnam Style video. Why would that Korean MV receive over 100m views in 2 months, but MapleStory 2 videos are receiving 20k-30k views in 1 year on YouTube?
  • KushyDragonKushyDragon
    Reactions: 1,715
    edited May 2017

I see.

Well, there are alot of weird things in this world. Like that Gangnam Style video. Why would that Korean MV receive over 100m views in 2 months, but MapleStory 2 videos are receiving 20k-30k views in 1 year on YouTube?

Because MS2 will never be MS ever. It's a completely different game in general, just with the maplestory license slapped onto it.
  • JointJoint
    Reactions: 1,205
    edited May 2017

I see.

Because MS2 will never be MS ever. It's a completely different game in general, just with the maplestory license slapped onto it.

Really now have you even played that game or just going by a few videos and blogs here and there? Please prey tell what makes MapleStory MapleStory? To me what makes Maplestory is the fact that it involves chibi like characters in an cartoonish environment. Low cd to no cd skills, unique events and monsters/bosses, as well as a good grind type of game. MS2 has all of that and some even though it revolves more about customization and dungeons it still has that grind factor in it. Since their are times you need to grind in that game. Please do not tell me you think MS is MS just because MS1 is 2D and this is a 3D game. That's just silly because that isn't what makes MS MS at all. That's only one small factor. MS is a unique cartoonish type of game and MS2 is just that but in 3D. The game play is very similar to MS1 just it involves more user customization and real raids compared to MS1.
    Sherri
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited June 2017

I see.

it's not a completly diffent game, it's just different from maplestory 1 (original), this is like saying "Pokemon Sun and Moon are not Pokemon games, they are completely different games to the original" even though the only real difference is that one is 3D and has some different systems, it's still maplestory, it's just set in a different time story wise but has the same areas, basic classes and many of the same mobs, and same cartoonish chibi style, just in 3D.

you're right in saying that it's not Classic (current) maplestory (the one that we know and are use to) but that's the point, MS2 was not meant to be a clone of classic (current) MS, it was made to be Maplestory done a different way and in some places fixing the problems that occurred in Classic MS over time.
    edited June 2017
    Ok, it's barely past early June 2017; the 2nd anniversary for MS2 is approaching fast! Nexon Corporation, you'd better cough up answers by then on GMS2's release date! Because I'm not sure how much longer we can be patient! Like, we have about 1.5 months left. So there has to be news about GMS2's release, right? Anyone?

We waited for almost 2 years and we are ALL dying to get a whif of 3d-based nostalgia.

Moderator Note:

We do not allow talk of 3rd party software that may have taken assets from the game without permission.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    Ok, it's barely past early June 2017; the 2nd anniversary for MS2 is approaching fast! Nexon Corporation, you'd better cough up answers by then on GMS2's release date! Because I'm not sure how much longer we can be patient! Like, we have about 1.5 months left. So there has to be news about GMS2's release, right? Anyone?

We waited for almost 2 years and we are ALL dying to get a whif of 3d-based nostalgia.

Moderator Note:

We do not allow talk of 3rd party software that may have taken assets from the game without permission.

Don't speak for everyone lol I can play the Korean version likewise many others.
  • dsLightdsLight
    Reactions: 305
    edited June 2017

Moderator Note:

Just because the difference between the GMS release date and the KMS release date is about 2 years apart has no influence over GMS2's release date. They are completely separate games and I don't think sequel games tend to be released based off of the prior version's anyways. As a person who's been following the MS2 news since 2013 or earlier, I really don't think you should be obsessed over the release date anymore since it just doesn't seem likely GMS2 will ever be released lol. But honestly, the best way to keep up with MS2 news at this point is to check in on the MS2 reddit page every month or so. They tend to be incredibly on top of things in terms of MS2 news so if there is a known release date, it will be there. If it's not there, I suggest you not to waste too much more time on the matter.
  • ChingTheMonkeyChingTheMonkey
    Reactions: 1,165
    edited June 2017
    This topic is depressing.
    I really want MS2 to come out for NA, but I think CMS2 is confirmed, so at least I have that. Luckily I'm fluent in Chinese.
    edited June 2017
    This topic is depressing.
    I really want MS2 to come out for NA, but I think CMS2 is confirmed, so at least I have that. Luckily I'm fluent in Chinese.

Now I wish I learned Chinese. -_-

But anyways, so far, nada. Less than a month left til my estimated release date................ *hands jittering*
  • xNailKaiserxNailKaiser
    Reactions: 2,440
    edited June 2017
    I'd have to upgrade my video card...

Need a GeForce GTX 650/ATI Radeon HD6770 or better (currently I have a GTX 460) so MS2 for me would be a no go.

Though I will say it looks fun.
This discussion has been closed.