[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Extreme Bot Infestation

Comments

• VinsaneVinsane
    Reactions: 2,210
    edited October 2016
    thrakkes
    thrakkes said:

MarkswomanSpin

Why are ALL the maps in ALL channels at the Black Heaven Scrapyard absolutely infested with Bots?
    Please Nexon, do something about this.
    The main reason is because Nexon implements many contents of different group levels. Lets take Black Heaven as example, as mentionned here. If Nexon hasn't added Dark World Tree, then there wouldn't have been that many Lv190+ training areas. Meaning, the current contents would be more populated, so higher chance of botters being reported!

We need to adjust many high level contents to lower them or adding prequests so botters won't have access. I know this, because I have NEVER seen any of them botting in Kritias nor San Commerci. Just saying, about Commerci we no longer need to do prequest to get there so I am not sure.

Nexon did great to remove Palanquin NPC of Mushroom Shrine for now, because Ninja Castle was infested of botters.

I keep thinking we should fix the game rather than adding new contents. Nexon doesn't realize the reason of why people actually quit the game. We all agree this game is pay2win for end game bosses, but we also have SO many bugs and glitches still unfixed, I also include stuffs like Hard Magnus drops and hack detection system being broken.
    In truth its an issue that ALOT of MMORPGs companies will encounter. I personally dub it an never-ending battle, that has unfortunately no real long-term solution.
    To make things complicated a majority of Botters/Hackers also pay real money $$$ to acquire the needed requirements to perform there much needed illegal hacks/bot programs.
    It's very complicated, because it can help financially keep their business going or not. Its a double-edge sword with a tremendous risks and pros strain.
    That being said, As long nexon is accumulating enough real money, it doesn't matter where the money comes from as long its enough to sustain and uphold their business.
    I'm not supporting illegal or bad business decisions but speaking out to be fair and to help people realize they're soooo many variables involved that influence a decision making as well to finding a solution to fixing it that involves business economics.

• gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    Vinsane
    Vinsane said:

thrakkes
    thrakkes said:

MarkswomanSpin

Why are ALL the maps in ALL channels at the Black Heaven Scrapyard absolutely infested with Bots?
    The main reason is because Nexon implements many contents of different group levels. Lets take Black Heaven as example, as mentionned here. If Nexon hasn't added Dark World Tree, then there wouldn't have been that many Lv190+ training areas. Meaning, the current contents would be more populated, so higher chance of botters being reported!

We need to adjust many high level contents to lower them or adding prequests so botters won't have access. I know this, because I have NEVER seen any of them botting in Kritias nor San Commerci. Just saying, about Commerci we no longer need to do prequest to get there so I am not sure.

Nexon did great to remove Palanquin NPC of Mushroom Shrine for now, because Ninja Castle was infested of botters.

I keep thinking we should fix the game rather than adding new contents. Nexon doesn't realize the reason of why people actually quit the game. We all agree this game is pay2win for end game bosses, but we also have SO many bugs and glitches still unfixed, I also include stuffs like Hard Magnus drops and hack detection system being broken.
    In truth its an issue that ALOT of MMORPGs companies will encounter. I personally dub it an never-ending battle, that has unfortunately no real long-term solution.
    To make things complicated a majority of Botters/Hackers also pay real money $$$ to acquire the needed requirements to perform there much needed illegal hacks/bot programs.
    It's very complicated, because it can help financially keep their business going or not. Its a double-edge sword with a tremendous risks and pros strain.
    That being said, As long nexon is accumulating enough real money, it doesn't matter where the money comes from as long its enough to sustain and uphold their business.
    I'm not supporting illegal or bad business decisions but speaking out to be fair and to help people realize they're soooo many variables involved that influence a decision making as well to finding a solution to fixing it that involves business economics.

Very few games that are as large as Maplestory is have problems with bots near the level that GMS does though. They will always have a handful, but they always have orders of magnitudes fewer bots than GMS does, and their bots are caught and banned more quickly as well.
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited October 2016
    yes please remove bots since like it even hurts maple economy. the meso ratio to USD is extremely low now and most of the mesos are not even legit. I underrstand that is against ToS, but it is very hard to reinforce nor do I participate in such behaviors. But please do fight against the bots and dupers
  • KeepComingBackKeepComingBack
    Reactions: 2,960
    edited October 2016
    Really upsetting to go on the rankings and see this.

No matter how much I train I can't compete with 24/7 FMA botters. It's sad that they are even able to get that high.
    BIackbeanSkyTheDestroyerJettLuvsU
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    It really is. And I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if this crap caused the end of the burning project events and the frozen set they give out.
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited October 2016
    KeepComingBack

Really upsetting to go on the rankings and see this.

No matter how much I train I can't compete with 24/7 FMA botters. It's sad that they are even able to get that high.
    broa sure has a lot of hackers o_O
  • SlashingPainSlashingPain
    Reactions: 1,020
    edited October 2016

How is it possible for this person to lvl from 228 to 236 in 3 days?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • XeraphimXeraphim
    Reactions: 1,480
    edited October 2016
    Lelouchy
    Lelouchy said:

While we're talking about bots is there no way to ignore bots?
    No, they hax the whole map and get legit players banned.
  • XeraphimXeraphim
    Reactions: 1,480
    edited October 2016
    Botting is typically a hex editor or cheat engine thing. Most times it's done by tampering with the signal between the client and server but sometimes it's just messing with the client. This is part of why so many people get Legendary Potentials so fast. They force the cube to upgrade the potential and go from Rare to Leg in 3 cubes. Then they force the Starforce to Success each time. Then they bot like mad and meso farm ultra fast because every monster is sucked to them, they cannot be hit by monsters, and their pet soaks up all the goodies at light speed.

Nexon could watch for critters in "unauthorized" or "abnormal" locations (there aren't many classes that mess with mobs' map location and they are limited in where they can move the mob) and flag the map that it's happening on for a GM to have a look. They could also look for "excessive looting patterns" that are impossible in legit play (such as uninterrupted meso grabbing over a period of 30 seconds) and kills that happen too fast for too long a period (e.g. 2 or more kills per second with no interruptions for 30 seconds). They could flag certain characters as "legit badasses" so they don't constantly get drawn to the maps that they are wrecking mobs on while keeping the detection on high sensitivity to pretty much instantly pick up on hackers/bots.

There are many ways to go about it and most of them are small scripts that use very little processor time. Nexon just doesn't want to catch botters is all. They like hackers. Otherwise this game would have a LOT less of them. "Just don't get caught" seems to be their motto by what I've seen. I could be wrong though and Nexon could just not want to chase hackers down because they would rather make more content instead.
    IvangoldJettLuvsU
  • OthidistOthidist
    Reactions: 685
    edited October 2016
    Wow Broa! You make me cry T_T
  • BodaciousBodacious
    Reactions: 600
    edited October 2016
    thrakkes
    thrakkes said:

MarkswomanSpin

This

Prequests are a great idea, they will only seem a little tedious to real players but will be an absolute sore to have to do every time they make a new bot.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Bodacious
    Bodacious said:

This

Prequests are a great idea, they will only seem a little tedious to real players but will be an absolute sore to have to do every time they make a new bot.
    Uh...bots are automated. Unless one passed a Turing Test I'm not aware of, they don't really have concept of "tedious".

I want prequests because I think it ruins the experience to have One-Eye calling you Squishy without having gone through Black Heaven, but the reason you don't see bots in Kritias or Commerci because the EXP isn't good, not because of the prequests.

Quests can be a deterrent, but they're not a perfect solution, and they're more geared towards deterring people from power-leveling or macroing than they are stopping bots.
    Bahamut_X
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited October 2016
    It's sad when it's easyer for nexon to ban Legit players tha hackers =\, will it ever change?
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Neospector

Bodacious
    Bodacious said:

This

Uh...bots are automated. Unless one passed a Turing Test I'm not aware of, they don't really have concept of "tedious".
    It's not that bots will find it tedious lol. It's that it'll be harder to automate going through those quests. Especially if it's like one of those CWKPQ quests with the minigames, or better yet, a procedurally generated MMF level lol. Or a quest that requires waiting for a few days.

(and also passing a Turing Test doesn't necessarily mean a bot is sentient and will be able to feel "bored"...)

• LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited October 2016
    Sigh would be nice if we had phone vertication:/ in my opinion it's so better to inplant it in the game way better than captchas this way players won't suffer from seeing bots going all around killing in the maps.
  • Mallow256Mallow256
    Reactions: 1,060
    edited October 2016
    No wonder I lost like 100 rank spots, so many damn bots! Now its only a matter of waiting for an obvious bot to hit 250.
  • DepressedAranDepressedAran
    Reactions: 640
    edited October 2016
    When i'm farming Dark World Tree for the daily quests (the blue/purple slime map), about half of the channels are occupied by Blaze Wizard bots. I don't actually mind bots because prices for css are low. Bought 100 for 2.3 bil from a guy in FM selling bundles of 100 css each.

GMS will always be infested with bots. Has been for over 11 years. Learn to embrace it guiz, and bless those bots for lots of items being cheaper.
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    DepressedAran

When i'm farming Dark World Tree for the daily quests (the blue/purple slime map), about half of the channels are occupied by Blaze Wizard bots. I don't actually mind bots because prices for css are low. Bought 100 for 2.3 bil from a guy in FM selling bundles of 100 css each.

GMS will always be infested with bots. Has been for over 11 years. Learn to embrace it guiz, and bless those bots for lots of items being cheaper.
    On the other hand, if GMS had a better control over botting (ie had a handle on them and there were orders of magnitudes fewer bots), then NexonNA could freely manipulate drop rates and event rewards to make everything easier/cheaper to obtain since bots wouldn't be running the market.

They are not healthy, as they are actively stopping NexonNA from being able to actually fix core problems in the market
    Bahamut_XSkyTheDestroyerJettLuvsUIvangoldIts2Sharp4UBIackbeanLilyflower
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited October 2016
    gamechanger

DepressedAran

On the other hand, if GMS had a better control over botting (ie had a handle on them and there were orders of magnitudes fewer bots), then NexonNA could freely manipulate drop rates and event rewards to make everything easier/cheaper to obtain since bots wouldn't be running the market.

They are not healthy, as they are actively stopping NexonNA from being able to actually fix core problems in the market
    true also the player base is going down day by day GG nexon.
  • KerBansotKerBansot
    Reactions: 1,635
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

"They" just create another one in seconds, but it doesn't become level 224 in seconds.
    It's pretty sad that enough bots get to such high levels as to "infest" the high-level training maps and hold significant positions on rankings.
    This ^
    gamechanger

It honestly isn't even that hard to get to those levels anymore. But yes, NexonNA is really bad at banning high leveled bots,
    True, but not that fast. I've been playing this game for years and I'm only 211, trained for an hour earlier at deck 1 and got a whopping 5%.

If I see someone on the rankings w/ a gibberish name at 224 wearing a frozen set, what else am I supposed to think? It just screams bot. And at 224, it means they've been botting for a dam long while. Don't GMs have some sort of frequently hacked maps? Logically it would make sense for them to have one and to have it patrolled constantly.
    Bahamut_X