[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why do you play?

ZeroBluxZeroBlux
Reactions: 1,100
edited September 2017 in General Chat
Over the course of the time that you've played this game, i gotta ask, why do you still play it?

There has been constant lags, poor customer service, errors and bugs all around, hackers and botters, etc. What exactly makes you tick to want to play this game further? Or maybe you're contemplating leaving just like I am? v.188 made me lose all interest in playing until maybe cadena and illium. So what about you?
  1. Play Again?31 votes
    1. Continue
       65% (20 votes)
    2. Game Over
       35% (11 votes)

Comments

• ChingTheMonkeyChingTheMonkey
    Reactions: 1,165
    edited September 2017
    ^
    Pretty much this
  • adri1234adri1234
    Reactions: 540
    edited September 2017
    I played until it came out tune up, ruining everything by the way.. :(
  • BiohazardBiohazard
    Reactions: 760
    edited September 2017
    Simply put, nostalgia.
    But their compatibility is terrible now...
    I shouldn't get lag spikes with a $1k rig...
    darik
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Mainly what most other people say: nostalgia factor, maybe more so for me than most people (self-assumption) cause I was first exposed to the "wonder" that was known as Maplestory maybe when I was in early grade school? (Korean here and older cousins were playing on KMS and I was lovestruck [is that possible? with a game? o.o {or maybe it was just because it was the first mmo I've ever seen in my life, theoretically}]
    xxMTraveler1276xx
  • NyvorNyvor
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited September 2017
    I actually play for the updates. Many times I got bored from the repetitive missions, but is the new content, new jobs, new game system and achievements that catch me on maplestory. I know the lag and crashes sucks, and it should be a priority to the team because many of us get tired at some point. But I gotta say that nostalgia probably was the first reason why I came back, but not why i keep.

I honestly think that Maplestory is a great game that need to get improved on lag and connectivity issues,
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited September 2017
    Biohazard wrote: »
    Simply put, nostalgia.

Theres more to lag than a 1k rig.
    edited September 2017
    Probably to see all the changes that are made to the game is why I still play. Now that I played during the drop rate nerf, I dont see why people complained. I dont see the difference. I get the same amount of nodes as before.

From someone that played when it took a couple days to get to level 30, grinding some more for extra nodes is nothing.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Simply put, nostalgia.

lol please KMS runs super smooth. The GMS client is poorly made..
  • ZeroBluxZeroBlux
    Reactions: 1,100
    edited September 2017
    to chime in myself. i do play for nostalgia as well but nexon doesn't seem to care about that anymore. the game is a solo grind all the way to 250. they changed the limits of old party quests like the crack in time to characters at lv 130. like seriously, who would ever play that pq at lv 130. the nerf to r&j's spawn rate. Nexon is just making random and unneeded changes to this game that nobody asked for or wanted instead of listening to what the fans want. They are the ones who put the money in your wallets anyway. cooperation at early levels is rare to find these days. nexon needs to increase and encourage party play in this game. maybe remove the exp split for party play. you can cover more ground, you're getting the same amount as exp, and you just might make a friend.

For a company who claimed to be different, they sure act pretty samey to the very people they said they were different from.
    edited September 2017
    Simply put, nostalgia.

lol please KMS runs super smooth. The GMS client is poorly made..

KMS is usually local to the region, GMS hosts global players, there will be more traffic and interference, congestion etc
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited September 2017
    i wish we didn't have to deal with the world and kept it to North America for the sake of server stability not having to deal with other people's time zones
    DarkPassengerZeroBluxbootlicker
  • NimoNimo
    Reactions: 800
    edited September 2017
    Mostly because of nostalgia. The very first time I played MapleStory was when GMS first started (I still have that account, but I'm not using it). Then when they created EMS, I created an account for that and migrated over there. Then they shut that down, so I'm here again. :)

I don't play all the time, but every now and then. When it's working, I still find it fun to play, since I just play solo and don't play the auction house or try to buy the best weapon there ever is. I just level all of my characters and take my time. *shrugs* I've been lucky enough not to experience much lag or many bugs, so there's that, too.
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited September 2017
    Simply put, nostalgia.

Same, i got a really decent laptop , i can play without any problems games like world of warcraft and guild wars 2 that require much more space and without any lag and trouble at all yet this game that requires only 10GB, i believe ,i still have a lot of lag issues,dcing issues, takes years to start it and has tons of buggs tbh, and consider i have 300MB of internet connection and i still lag when a player comes to my channel, when i enter ursus and when i do bosses in party... , i keep playing the game because on one side its addicting and on the other side it remembers me of my childhood , i think i started playing it at 12-14, im 23 years now, i like to remember those days where i had no responsabilities i guess, but as days go by i keep asking y do i play this game? There are far better games that dont give me this much trouble when playing, who knows, unless things change and the service nexon offers us improves a lot, sooner or later i might just quit once and for all.
  • bootlickerbootlicker
    Reactions: 1,475
    edited September 2017
    It's pretty much been this way since I started playing back in 2010. Nothing new to see with DCs, patches, and hacking issues but with that said I always seem to come back. I guess I enjoy building a character up from nothing with little money or friends helping me. I'm actually glad I took a vastly under powered class with little finding and have taken it this far. Of course to the big money whales I am nothing but to my friends who have quit and my family who still play I am someone who has done a lot without much to work with. I actually still enjoy this game a lot. I just wish they could cure their constant server and maintenance problems.
    TachikawaHiyoko
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    Reactions: 1,520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    >:)

I played MMOs that shut down in 5 years time or less, this to me, is the only MMO I played that is still going strong. Sure there are others that are equally as long or longer, but I started Maple as my very first online game so I continue to play it. I also set goals to reach for myself to keep me motivated to play for a long time. So it is a nostalgia thing for me. That and a lot of my classes I picked to play are really enjoyable to play =D

I know this game has its flaws, everything in life does, and every single game does, nothing is ever perfect nor will it be in my lifetime so I keep hoping for the best and do my thing.

If things become out of our control, we can either rage at it or accept we can't change it and move forward with our life.

>:)
  • xxMTraveler1276xxxxMTraveler1276xx
    Reactions: 200
    edited September 2017
    i started maplestory when i saw a friend played it. in 2007 i was stuck for it. as soon as i downloaded it. made my first explorer and hit lvl 20 that night. in 2008 i didnt stop playing. the good o days. and i found my first Diamond ... :3
  • Ryia_ArcherRyia_Archer
    Reactions: 610
    edited September 2017
    One of my first MMO games, even though I quit a few months ago I came back for nostalgia purposes. Despite all the issues this game has looking back on it with rose colored glasses keeps making me come back.
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Time investment and still fun somewhat... I keep playing in hope that one day they will wake up and fix the game and remove all bad changes and ban hackers and OPTIMIZE the game client and buff pqs so hard. KMS is so well optimized and even the newly released Thai server is really well optimized... Oh and bonus pot cubes in reward shop, Zen, more character slots ect Oh and start listening to us and actually communicating more.. (The Discord kind of increased communication but not much)
  • TorippiTorippi
    Reactions: 1,540
    edited September 2017
    Echoing what a few others said, childhood nostalgia is one of the reasons. The other reason being it's hard for me to let go of something I've spent a lot of time on and it takes a lot of screw ups to convince me to give up (aside from the game closing down, that is). I guess somewhere inside, I'm still hopeful for a better change that the game's developers will bring.
    TachikawaHiyoko
  • TachikawaHiyokoTachikawaHiyoko
    Reactions: 1,290
    edited September 2017
    In my case, there's a lot of nostalgia - like many people have already said - and there's a lot of attachment to my characters and there's a lot of... I don't know, "comfort zone"? To say it somehow. MapleStory was the first MMORPG I ever played and, after so many years, it has turned out to be the only one I felt comfortable playing.

I'm not a hardcore gamer and I don't play many other things (mostly, The Sims), so I'm not a very experienced and talented player. I've always gotten very nervous, to the point where I'd almost get a panic attack from the tension, when dealing with bosses or stressful missions in most games and, so, I stopped actively playing and became a "watcher" of my sister while she plays a long time ago. But, for some reason, MapleStory was a game I dared to try myself, where I wanted to progress and achieve something on my own. So, I've stuck with it since the beginning, and tried my best to progress even though I can't afford to put money into it and I haven't made it all that far and, for the standards nowadays, all my characters are a big failure. :P

That discourages me sometimes, because I end up feeling like all these years have meant nothing, but then I remember how much I like my characters (for what they are and the stories I've imagined behind them, even if their damage sucks) and how sad it makes me to think they are stuck in the same level and left alone if I quit, so I come back and keep trying to progress and make something out of them even though I don't have an active guild anymore, all the people I knew and that played with me (both friends and family) have quit and even though there are many new things that are hard for me or that I don't like (like bosses!) or that I simply can't do because I don't have the monstrous damage or equips or whatever that is needed to do this or that. :P

So, yeah... Nostalgia of the good old times when my guild (the guild my sister and I made with a lot of effort) was alive, when my sister played and we lived adventures together in-game, when you had to struggle to get to lvl30 and it was kinda rewarding doing so, when there was a lot more people around and you had a chance to just train together for hours, while chatting or something; that's one of my reasons to play. The fact that I don't wanna leave my dear characters to die or to just be deleted someday, that's another. And the fact that this game provides me with a sense of adventure, of self-accomplishment, of "courage" that real life doesn't and that is kinda satisfactory (and fun, to feel like you can live another life through your character and do stuff you'll never be able to do in real life, like fight for a cause or do something epic or use magic or powers), that's another big reason why I keep playing. That adds to the fact that I've always loved the graphics of this game (I don't particularly like 3D games or most modern games, actually), the mechanics of it and all... Well. All that has kept me here, even though I feel more and more that I will never actually "succeed" in anything, I will never actually "accomplish" anything and every day gets harder to do something relatively worth it without having money to invest or friends to help me with anything. :P
    Torippibootlicker