[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

No More FM

RaindewRaindew
Reactions: 1,030
Member, Private Tester
edited November 2017 in Non-GMS Content Discussion
Rest in Peace Free Market.

you will be missed.
Mesos

Comments

• chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    From a player stand point it makes no sense and from a business stand point it also makes none. They will lose out on money from shop purchases with NX. It's killing off nostalgia for the players and community aspect of the game. It's turning more single player by the patch.
  • SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,375
    edited November 2017
    ...Why?!
  • JointJoint
    Reactions: 1,205
    edited November 2017
    This is a good thing and how the game should have been from the beginning. This is pushing the auction house and trading features more than just a fm spam fest instead. In reality the fm was just a big nuisance and all it did was create problems. It was too time consuming to do any kind of merching in the fm and virtually impossible to sell anything worthwhile due to the fact you need to log on right after maintances just to get a good spot. Then you have those shop botters, spot stealers, and spot hoggers that also ruin the fm. The auction house should have been implemented from the very beginning of the game as all other mmos had done. The only ones that will get mad at this update are the nostalgia freaks who want everything old back in the game. The merchers who now will find it harder to scam other players money, and the market spammers who clutter the fm with unnecessary jargon. Overall, with the increase mesos cap and easier searching this will improve the trading in the game in a big way. Merching will also be a lot easier now since you are able to see everything at once and not have to hop from market to market. Really don't understand the players in this game anymore. TBH the fm is unnecessary anyway ever since they implemented the auction house. Only people who really use the fm are the ones that are selling over max mesos items anyway. They are increasing the mesos cap and improving the auction house now. I see no big difference besides nostalgia reasons.
    LilyflowerfoussiremixCatooolooo
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited November 2017
    Joint wrote: »
    This is a good thing and how the game should have been from the beginning. This is pushing the auction house and trading features more than just a fm spam fest instead. In reality the fm was just a big nuisance and all it did was create problems. It was too time consuming to do any kind of merching in the fm and virtually impossible to sell anything worthwhile due to the fact you need to log on right after maintances just to get a good spot. Then you have those shop botters, spot stealers, and spot hoggers that also ruin the fm. The auction house should have been implemented from the very beginning of the game as all other mmos had done. The only ones that will get mad at this update are the nostalgia freaks who want everything old back in the game. The merchers who now will find it harder to scam other players money, and the market spammers who clutter the fm with unnecessary jargon. Overall, with the increase mesos cap and easier searching this will improve the trading in the game in a big way. Merching will also be a lot easier now since you are able to see everything at once and not have to hop from market to market. Really don't understand the players in this game anymore. TBH the fm is unnecessary anyway ever since they implemented the auction house. Only people who really use the fm are the ones that are selling over max mesos items anyway. They are increasing the mesos cap and improving the auction house now. I see no big difference besides nostalgia reasons.

I feel like 90% of that is refuted by the existence of Owls of Minerva. I'm not saying that the auction house is bad or anything, but at the same time, there's not anything wrong with the FM existing as it is.
    MewChelsea
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited November 2017
    They chose to kill off the place more people go to than the place rarely anyone goes to... (at least that's how it is in GMS)
    e93.jpg

If anything I would have thought they'd eventually merge Auction house's expanded search filter and integrate it into the Free Market to replace Owls.
  • JointJoint
    edited November 2017

I feel like 90% of that is refuted by the existence of Owls of Minerva. I'm not saying that the auction house is bad or anything, but at the same time, there's not anything wrong with the FM existing as it is.

You are correct that the owl has helped the market much better than it use to be. However, there are still some issues with it. The search feature on the owls isn't as detailed as the search feature in the auction house. You have to have multiple owls in order to properly merch well or find the items you are looking for. Where as in the auction house you can just search with detailed specifics and not having to worry about carrying a lot of owls around. Also the fact that owls are sold in item shops and not directly in the free market. This can create more of a hassle going back and forth. The good thing though is they fixed the stacking issue so at least it only takes out one slot instead of multiple slots. I still personally believe the auction house is far better than the free market and it's long over due. The only ones that will really care for the free market are the merchers and people who are into nostalgia. They should have removed the free market long time ago and implemented the auction house from the get go.
  • RadiantSightRadiantSight
    Reactions: 1,025
    edited November 2017
    Good times where people set up their Guild HQ's in Free Markets.
    I'm curious how they will improve Auction house for people that need to sell items above max mesos without spamming super megaphones or increasing meso cap.

I do not think they would let us buy with NX otherwise. :|
  • NyvorNyvor
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited November 2017
    Don't forget the cap meso is gonna be higher now. Many items nowadays has way more value than the actual cap, that's a very good change.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2017

uuhh... in KMS owls still cost NX, are split into 2 different items and are not given away for free in their general stores, that was/is a GMS exclusive thing.

another thing is that, in KMS when they got the AH, most of the FM rooms were removed to push the AH system anyway.

the point of this is to basically unify the selling system, by making AH the only market system and adding improvements to AH to make it better than FM, though as both a hangout spot (for friends and guilds) and a quick way to trade with someone who is in a completely different area, it will be missed, hopefully they will add something (Guild HQ's and a hangout area) to replace the unintentional uses that the FM had.

in KMS this will be mostly an improvement due to the fact that they do not have the gms exclusive changes (like owls for meso)

for people having trouble understanding why this is good, remember back to before owls were sold for meso (which was done after major delays in adding the unlimited search AH were still happening) and remember how a lot of free players where crying for AH to be implemented even in a broken state just so they could easily search, buy and sell without having to spend money. if AH was released in GMS with that climate at the time (without the bugs), it would have easily become the top way to sell anything and get anybody to find it with ease (because owls were not sold in general stores at the time, they cost NX, like it still is now for KMS).

the days of having to go stall by stall to both, find what you want to buy and compare prices died in GMS with the meso owls but not in KMS because they didnt get that change, if you want to search their FM and compare prices you have to either, go stall by stall or buy an owl with NX, while alternatively you can just search the AH for free.

all I'm saying is look at it from the KMS perspective not the GMS one.
    AznboiE wrote: »
    If anything I would have thought they'd eventually merge Auction house's expanded search filter and integrate it into the Free Market to replace Owls.
    I doubt that would even be possible as the AH system functions completely differently than stalls and even fixes certain issues that stalls have (that players currently take advantage of)
    Sherri
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited November 2017
    I think it's a good change I really don't mind if they remove the free market.
  • Traveler5577Traveler5577
    Reactions: 1,995
    edited November 2017
    honestly they dont need to remove it . just place it somewhere else and put the action house there and put a portal up just for free market so players can still use the rooms, or something as HQ...
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited November 2017
    snip

The Auction house is still far superior as all items available can be looked through without searching. Currently with fm you need to manually move from room to room and shop to shop to look through what's available.
    honestly they dont need to remove it . just place it somewhere else and put the action house there and put a portal up just for free market so players can still use the rooms, or something as HQ...

No point keeping stuff in the game that serves no purpose anymore.

I'm glad they're making the auction house better but there's still a number of things they need to do before completely removing the free market. While they mentioned they are raising the meso cap and standardizing the tax. They didn't mention that they would be changing things so peoples names show in the auction house. This is very important and should have been a thing from the start. They need this so people can contact the people selling items and offer if needed. Once free market is gone there won't be any way in game for people to offer to others. We'll be forced to use websites and forums to list our sales and those are hardly effective. Not everyone uses them.

• chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Peep wrote: »
    snip

The Auction house is still far superior as all items available can be looked through without searching. Currently with fm you need to manually move from room to room and shop to shop to look through what's available.

I'm glad they're making the auction house better but there's still a number of things they need to do before completely removing the free market. While they mentioned they are raising the meso cap and standardizing the tax. They didn't mention that they would be changing things so peoples names show in the auction house. This is very important and should have been a thing from the start. They need this so people can contact the people selling items and offer if needed. Once free market is gone there won't be any way in game for people to offer to others. We'll be forced to use websites and forums to list our sales and those are hardly effective. Not everyone uses them.

For some the free market will always hold a purpose.
  • JointJoint
    edited November 2017
    Peep wrote: »
    snip

For some the free market will always hold a purpose.

The free market is pretty pointless and well out dated right now. The only "purpose" is nostalgia just like HHG, long boat rides, and those hidden portals. Times have changed and all mmos have the use of an auction house for there economy. I don't even think there's any other mmo out there besides maple that has a free market. The last one was Wonderking and that game died. Improving the auction house is the best thing they can do and will certainty help everyone in the long run.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2017
    The FM has 2 uses to players, the real purpose of it and the sentimental purposes

People are trying to tie sentimental uses of the FM and the true purpose of the FM as the same thing.

however when the Devs look at this, the purpose of the FM was to centralize selling of items between players, so removing that area is fine when we now have AH. they can create a new place that fits the sentimental uses the FM had (hell they created star planet, which had hangout spots in it) and make it more suited for hanging out, meetups and also make a guild hall room/ guild house system.
  • SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,375
    edited November 2017
    The free market is pretty pointless and well out dated right now. The only "purpose" is nostalgia just like HHG, long boat rides, and those hidden portals. Times have changed and all mmos have the use of an auction house for there economy. I don't even think there's any other mmo out there besides maple that has a free market. The last one was Wonderking and that game died. Improving the auction house is the best thing they can do and will certainty help everyone in the long run.

Heh.. Mabinogi still has a free market. Just recently, an outfit is going for around 50m gold on the Mari server.
    We were supposed to get an auction like years ago. iHUHPgR.png
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited November 2017
    It is a bit sad, but auction house is much easier to use.