[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Poll: Combo Kills

OrodalfOrodalf
Reactions: 610
edited February 2018 in General Chat
I'm wondering how many combo kills people tend to stack as they train. I notice that the 9999 Combo achievement has 12.22% global completion, and I was wondering what people's general behavior with respect to Combo Kills was during training (i.e., not when actively aiming to complete the achievement.). I would personally never hit that achievement unless I were specifically working toward it...
  1. Do you conscientiously maintain your Combo Kill count as you train?14 votes
    1. Yes - I try my best to keep it as high as possible
       79% (11 votes)
    2. No (do indicate why you choose not to in the comments)
       21% (3 votes)

Comments

• GeminiaGeminia
    Reactions: 2,370
    edited February 2018
    It's quickest to achieve with Illium and could potentially take less than 2 hours on a good map with a Kanna. I haven't gotten it myself, but I did help out a friend a month or so ago when he was training his Illium and he got 3000+ combos in a relatively short time. That said, it's hard to keep a high combo sometimes because the grind just gets too boring, or an elite with a really bad effect will spawn, or an elite boss, or whatever else may happen.
    Kingofrunes
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited February 2018
    Yes, and when I lose the combo count after it got to +500, I leave the map to meditate on what happened.
    YinYangX
  • TheOutlanderTheOutlander
    Reactions: 1,230
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    I used to ignore combo orbs back when they first came out, but ever since they introduced Aran's new link skill, I can't help but to gather those orbs now. I've never been an achievement hoarder so I really don't care about that 9,999 combo thingy so I let it fly over my head as I only tend to gather at least 1,000 combo before I level up on my 170-190's which are my current leveling demographic. It can be infuriating however to maintain the count since different classes have differing mobbing potential and some have many fewer buffs to equip while keeping said count for example Shade's Maple Warrior vs Lumi's 3 Macro's worth of buffs which are necessary for me as I have many weak characters that rely on them.
  • DaisukeHarutoDaisukeHaruto
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited February 2018
    I like seeing how far I can get before the bots comes by and starts eating up my prey. I've even seen them in Ashwan or whatever it's called. level 40 vac-killing enemies and getting nowhere fast because they don't give out EXP.
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Same as what most people have said above, I actively try to maintain combo cause of the Aran Link exp. If I'm on a map that I can 1hko and with decent spawn, ~2k combo/30min, ~1k/30min if it's a bit harder map.
    Think I did hit 10k combo once when I was doing the mystery mission for the recent Hasty event (kill 45k/56k mobs).
  • KingofrunesKingofrunes
    Reactions: 865
    edited February 2018
    If only I had the attention spam and ability to sit training for more than 1 hour I would get that achievement. As it is the highest I've hit in an hour time period is 2k combo. After that my willpower and attention spam quickly starts to drop off and I tire and need to take a break and switch.

I try my best to keep my combo as high as possible but for some classes it's a lot of work to be able to continually keep it going. If you slow down or mess up for a few seconds or lag, that's it for your combo. Start over :(

The combo orb exp is a nice bit of burst exp too, especially if you get the Aran link skill. Speaking of which, I still need to do that >.>

Wishful thinking but, I wish instead of straight up losing the combo entirely if you slow down or mess up they changed it to instead drop off. I believe Aran's combos work in that fashion where you don't lose it right away, it just starts to drop off after a bit.
    TheOutlanderSlicedTime
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    If only I had the attention spam and ability to sit training for more than 1 hour I would get that achievement. As it is the highest I've hit in an hour time period is 2k combo. After that my willpower and attention spam quickly starts to drop off and I tire and need to take a break and switch.

I try my best to keep my combo as high as possible but for some classes it's a lot of work to be able to continually keep it going. If you slow down or mess up for a few seconds or lag, that's it for your combo. Start over :(

The combo orb exp is a nice bit of burst exp too, especially if you get the Aran link skill. Speaking of which, I still need to do that >.>

Wishful thinking but, I wish instead of straight up losing the combo entirely if you slow down or mess up they changed it to instead drop off. I believe Aran's combos work in that fashion where you don't lose it right away, it just starts to drop off after a bit.

Combo dropping down slowly wouldn't be a bad idea. I can agree on that.
  • SnowedSnowed
    Reactions: 840
    edited February 2018
    It was easily achievable with blade dance back in the day when you can spin for hours on end without it stopping on you, but Nexon added a time limit so you can't take your eyes off your character (there's three words that start with "away" but I can't mention that here now can I?), also unfortunately maps are no longer for solo players (i.e the old second drill hall) and have too many platforms that actually require you to move around and kill every monster or they'll just spawn sporadically in one platform. Xenons on the other hand are terrible mobbers, their hit boxes are so small it can fit around 3-5 monsters per spin.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited February 2018
    Snowed wrote: »
    It was easily achievable with blade dance back in the day when you can spin for hours on end without it stopping on you, but Nexon added a time limit so you can't take your eyes off your character (there's three words that start with "away" but I can't mention that here now can I?), also unfortunately maps are no longer for solo players (i.e the old second drill hall) and have too many platforms that actually require you to move around and kill every monster or they'll just spawn sporadically in one platform. Xenons on the other hand are terrible mobbers, their hit boxes are so small it can fit around 3-5 monsters per spin.

with all that spinning, you'd think the laws of physics would come into play and Xenon creates a pull vortex to draw mobs closer, then again if that were the case, people might get auto banned by the system.
  • Nick008Nick008
    Reactions: 925
    edited February 2018
    it will take about 90 to 180 minutes depending on our class of repetitive comboing.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    AB's could probably do it pretty fast. I remember for one Hasty Hunting event, I did that mission by spamming Soul Seeker lol. Each orb adds to your combo separately, and you can have up to 8 orbs running at once. Could get 150-200 combo kills per minute without my kanna on a bad map. With Kanna, that'd probably speed up.