[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Unscheduled Minor Patch - October 20, 2016

Comments

• UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited October 2016
    AK712
    AK712 said:

In fact, it does good by making sure the chat stays clean for everyone.
    Lol, no. It just helps people learn new bad words, or ways to bypass the filter. Either way, people are learning "naughty" words. Nothing can be truly clean until you take away their ability to say anything at all.

Heck, back in the day Maple was the reason I learned curse words.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited October 2016
    Let us see what was censored, this should make things better in the first place...
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited October 2016
    AK712
    AK712 said:

Maryse
    Maryse said:

People were gonna get bored of this within a week and everything would be back together.
    Honestly I feel like most people on this game are in their 20s, we're not kids anymore guys.
    Now we're gonna have to go back and bypass the crappy censor system because there's some things we can't say even if they are 2 different word or it's within another word (documentary).
    Sorry Maryse, but for once, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

You've fallen for the typical view that "being an adult" = "saying and doing whatever I want, whenever I want", and that's simply not true. Most professional adults will not tolerate bad language (aka basically every major business in every country), so why should a game tolerate it? Although it's true that filtering words containing swears might cause some confusion, you cannot rationally argue that censoring these words does any harm to anyone. In fact, it does good by making sure the chat stays clean for everyone.
    This is a game, why should we be professional? We're hanging around with friends and when you hang around with friends, a few swear words are going to pop out every once in a while. If that's not for you, then that's okay too.
    I used to play a game called Habbo Hotel back when I was 13 (2004~), there was a censor at first but then a few years down the road, they gave the users the freedom to turn off the censor. This is also a game for kids (13+). Did it change anything? Not at all. People were happy, much like people were happy about this accidental change for this game.
    I was mostly talking about the censor system as a whole because it made having a normal conversation a hassle because if a word (documentary, analyze, spice, etc) or a combination of words (word ending with "sh" followed by a word starting with the letter "t") seemed too similar to a swear word, it would be censored.
    Uzumeparkjinwoo
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016

OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

iExpodiZz said:

You better not fix the language filter, that's the most fun I've had since Pre-bigbang
    It's coming back. Hope everyone got it out of their system. I also wonder how many people know that our standard language rules still applied as they were saying some of those.... choice words.

As a note, we did see all of your comments regarding the language filter and are looking into some potential adjustments to the system.
    I hope that you guys don't re-enable word regarding the LGBT community,
    because now that it was removed, and if those words return ill just forward this to various LGBT action groups.

I find it somewhat sad that words like Gay, Homosexual, etc are censored. Side Note, why no gay marriage? Is it just Nexon America thats disgusted with the idea or all of Nexon inc.?
    Forward what, pray tell? Are you going to complain to the ACLU that a game has a chat filter that has the UTTER NERVE to not let you say "gay" or anything containing the word "sex"? Please, by all means do it. I'd love to see how far you get.

But for real. People like you are one issue I cannot stand in regards to the LGBT community. That incredibly noisy facet of it that has to make every minor thing(such as a word filter blocking "gay" or "homosexual" or anything of that nature; or a game lacking same-sex marriage) out like it's some enormous flagrant disregard of your status. They act as if every single minor inconvenience is a veritable slap to the face and a direct affront to their lifestyle. Please, for the sake of everyone, get off your high horse and remove that stick that's so lovingly wedged in a personal location.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited October 2016

OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

iExpodiZz said:

You better not fix the language filter, that's the most fun I've had since Pre-bigbang
    It's coming back. Hope everyone got it out of their system. I also wonder how many people know that our standard language rules still applied as they were saying some of those.... choice words.

As a note, we did see all of your comments regarding the language filter and are looking into some potential adjustments to the system.
    because now that it was removed, and if those words return ill just forward this to various LGBT action groups.

I find it somewhat sad that words like Gay, Homosexual, etc are censored. Side Note, why no gay marriage? Is it just Nexon America thats disgusted with the idea or all of Nexon inc.?
    Mabinogi actually has Gay marriage. :D
  • AACMIVAACMIV
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited October 2016
    There is lag in the Event Hall, maybe that?
  • VolumezVolumez
    Reactions: 1,335
    edited October 2016
    #FreeSpeech #NoFilter #ThisIsntClubPenguin
    DariusJQuellan
  • NiightseekerNiightseeker
    Reactions: 2,040
    edited October 2016
    AK712
    AK712 said:

you cannot rationally argue that censoring these words does any harm to anyone. In fact, it does good by making sure the chat stays clean for everyone.
    Well, I think we c** **l agree that under some cir***stances censorship can do more harm than good. The *** ** mightier than the sword, so surely expressing ourselves through text without hindrance is a good thing?
    MaryseDiannikaAggraphineUzumeSkyTheDestroyerparkjinwooふかせIts2Sharp4UPonPonMewsand 2 others.
  • DariusJQuellanDariusJQuellan
    Reactions: 720
    edited October 2016
    Uzume
    Uzume said:

AK712
    AK712 said:

In fact, it does good by making sure the chat stays clean for everyone.
    Lol, no. It just helps people learn new bad words, or ways to bypass the filter. Either way, people are learning "naughty" words. Nothing can be truly clean until you take away their ability to say anything at all.

Heck, back in the day Maple was the reason I learned curse words.
    This. When I was much younger, I learned the word in the middle of "documentary" because of the chat filter on a separate video game.
    And regardless of whether or not it's actually being said, when you censor part of a word that really isn't a curse word, but rather a word with a string inside of it that could be a curse word, like "documentary", it makes everyone THINK of that three letter word when we wouldn't have otherwise.
    It's like when people say the literal phrase "The N Word", you say a certain six letter word in your head.
    VolumezIts2Sharp4UCatoooloooNiightseekerSkyTheDestroyerMaryseImaBlastBasura
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited October 2016
    AK712
    AK712 said:

Maryse
    Maryse said:

People were gonna get bored of this within a week and everything would be back together.
    Honestly I feel like most people on this game are in their 20s, we're not kids anymore guys.
    Now we're gonna have to go back and bypass the crappy censor system because there's some things we can't say even if they are 2 different word or it's within another word (documentary).
    Sorry Maryse, but for once, I'm going to have to disagree with you.

You've fallen for the typical view that "being an adult" = "saying and doing whatever I want, whenever I want", and that's simply not true. Most professional adults will not tolerate bad language (aka basically every major business in every country), so why should a game tolerate it? Although it's true that filtering words containing swears might cause some confusion, you cannot rationally argue that censoring these words does any harm to anyone. In fact, it does good by making sure the chat stays clean for everyone.
    sorry but i gotta disagree with you, the way the filter is implemented I've learned more swears than I ever would have without this silly system. Needless to say this system doesnt just filter the swears, It actually just boldly points them out when we have to figure out how to re word the sentence to prevent the letters aligning in a certain way that triggers the censor.

Looks like we got an SJW on our hands.
    NB4 request for a "Safe space" forum
    Its2Sharp4UImaBlast
  • BabyBeiberBabyBeiber
    Reactions: 220
    edited October 2016
    Censorship shouldn't be removed. Although there are kids playing this game who are under 18. Maplestory also has gambling in the game, such as Gachapon / Premium Cash Boxes, and Cubing. Shouldn't they remove that too? If they going to remove censorship back to the way it was, and go back to Pre-BigBang MS.
    VolumezImaBlast
  • OneLetterOneLetter
    Reactions: 6,380
    edited October 2016
    Update - Here are the changes in this Minor patch:

• The Reboot Master – Class Medal reward can now be redeemed in Reboot world.
    • The curse word filters have been reapplied.
    • Andersen’s Keys will no longer be dropping when hunting mobs.
    • The game will no longer appear black and white while adjusting the Graphics and Effects settings while in Crimsonwood Castle.
    • The Stellar Detectives icon will now appear properly.
    • Regional IP blocks have been reapplied for certain regions that were incorrectly opened.
    Its2Sharp4UCatoooloooIvangold
  • MaryseMaryse
    Reactions: 6,640
    edited October 2016
    Catooolooo

sorry but i gotta disagree with you, the way the filter is implemented I've learned more swears than I ever would have without this silly system.
    Seriously. Sometimes I'd say something or someone says something then we realize it's censored but we have no idea why because it's some obscure word. What do we do? We look it up. Hey! new naughty word learned!
    Kids these days are no stranger to swear words. If they're already on the Internet, chances are they've been exposed to a lot worse than a little F word.
    Niightseeker
  • VolumezVolumez
    edited October 2016
    OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

• The game will no longer appear black and white while adjusting the Graphics and Effects settings while in Crimsonwood Castle.
    • Regional IP blocks have been reapplied for certain regions that were incorrectly opened.
    RIP Freedom of speech. #NoFilter #ThisIsntClubPenguin
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited October 2016
    BabyBeiber

Censorship shouldn't be removed. Although there are kids playing this game who are under 18. Maplestory also has gambling in the game, such as Gachapon / Premium Cash Boxes, and Cubing. Shouldn't they remove that too? If they going to remove censorship back to the way it was, and go back to Pre-BigBang MS.
    They would have to go back farther if we're talking about Gachapon.
    OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

Thank you for the update!
    Niightseeker
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    Niightseeker

AK712
    AK712 said:

you cannot rationally argue that censoring these words does any harm to anyone. In fact, it does good by making sure the chat stays clean for everyone.
    Well, I think we c** **l agree that under some cir***stances censorship can do more harm than good. The *** ** mightier than the sword, so surely expressing ourselves through text without hindrance is a good thing?
    What'd you say? It got censored.
    VolumezDiannikaImaBlast
  • MataharyMatahary
    Reactions: 580
    edited October 2016
    OneLetter
    OneLetter said:

WHYYYYY which reagions please
  • VolumezVolumez
    edited October 2016
    Aggraphine

Niightseeker

AK712
    AK712 said:

What'd you say? It got censored.
    The worst part is that the text appears fine for you, and when people tell you it's censored you gotta figure out what part is
    ImaBlastBasura
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited October 2016
    at least like censor extremely bad words-- since people can still go out of their way to make their point. but like dont censor things that make up a word. like for example "can use" instead censor the word "@nus". censor direct words rather than words that can be made through similar letters pls.
    Klara
  • ふかせふかせ
    Reactions: 1,475
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Well, this is certainly disappointing. Looks like we'll have to go back to thinking about how to arrange our sentences and what words to replace... It's just too difficult to have a normal conversation without parts of normal words being censored.
    Niightseekerfightmerl