[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

the worst class in Maplestory illium

MarisaKirisameMarisaKirisame
Reactions: 500
edited April 2018 in Rants and Raves
the character is a very depressing character the class is slow clunky doesn't do very much damage
it's early game is terrible I could understand some people played it and got to the late game but the early game is so boring and tedious it kills your desire to want to continue playing MapleStory I don't recommend playing the class if your a new player to the game cuz you'll never want to play the game again

me and my friends made our characters took advantage of the burning event one of my friends chose to play a cannoneer one chose to go for Paladin
I chose illium both of my friends are already level 150 I'm only 48 it took him only 4 hours to do that and I'm on my second day working on my character
this class has such terrible mob clearing early on

there needs to be some damage adjustments on this class for early levels cuz it's terrible and also by the way its link skill is pretty terrible two

Comments

• CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited April 2018
    illium is pretty good once you get them to 3rd job and becomes a great mobber at 4th job. I agree though, his mobbing sucks in the early stages, but he's certainly not the worst class and other classes have this issue in early game as well (like demon avenger and Beast tamer)

the link skill is also really good if you play without standing in one spot at all times
    nihiri
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited April 2018
    Go to 4th job it will get very interesting.
    nihiri
  • MarisaKirisameMarisaKirisame
    edited April 2018
    the demon Avenger is good all the way through the whole entire game that's what my main is you constantly kill 7 to 8 enemies at a time
    but illium in the other hand is best skill rarely goes through 3 mobs even when there's a large group of them and the mechanics with the orb it's very situational you'll get it in the right place the early game damage needs to be raised on that class before I ever will choose to Play It Again and also the character sounds the most annoying out of all the maple characters
  • UserRedUserRed
    Reactions: 1,590
    edited April 2018
    Jett is the worst class, its mobbing is complete ass.

Wait that rhymes, but still it's terrible.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited April 2018
    the demon Avenger is good all the way through the whole entire game that's what my main is you constantly kill 7 to 8 enemies at a time
    but illium in the other hand is best skill rarely goes through 3 mobs even when there's a large group of them and the mechanics with the orb it's very situational you'll get it in the right place the early game damage needs to be raised on that class before I ever will choose to Play It Again and also the character sounds the most annoying out of all the maple characters

dude, I almost dropped demon avnger due to how slow the attacks are in the early game, and many of my friends felt the same, but it picked up at 3rd job.

a good rule of thumb, get the class to 4th job before judging the class.

trust me, once you get illium to 4th job, you will enjoy it.
  • Lucsean99Lucsean99
    Reactions: 1,565
    edited April 2018
    As a veteran who has played for years. The Jett class is extremely mobile enough to have fun with if you know how to use the class right.
    The only Con about it its MP heavy.

Early on it's The explorer Fire/Poison Mage, not a lot of Toa early, lacking excitement in skills.
    nihiri
  • BelloPallyBelloPally
    Reactions: 1,905
    edited April 2018
    Lucsean99 wrote: »
    As a veteran who has played for years. The Jett class is extremely mobile enough to have fun with if you know how to use the class right.

Early on it's The explorer Fire/Poison Mage, not a lot of Toa early, lacking excitement in skills.

Fun is a relative term. You cannot define a class as fun or not based on your opinion only.

awA8jwatbeOj5or22zxZu1jB8vc4jGbZi14NvAXRzX8.png?w=1024&s=034f386f54ccccb26c8a71ba4249e54a

According to this DPM chart, Jett is ranked 42 out of all 44 classes. And just as UserRed said, Jett's mobbing is one of the worst in this game; most of Jett's skills cannot be used midair and have poor hitboxes. Cosmic Upheaval even causes disconnection.

Lastly, I don't know what you mean by "extremely mobile". Jett's mobility was nerfed heavily during the Override update.
  • Lucsean99Lucsean99
    edited April 2018
    Ok i will see for myself, if it has been nerf so hard tomorrow after 12pm or after SM
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2018
    Don't worry OP , illium is currently bad but in kr it got buffed hard .
  • MarisaKirisameMarisaKirisame
    edited April 2018
    early game is so boring for that illium all other classes I have played I actually enjoyed the whole entire process of leveling but that class is so tedious early on I can't make it to my 3rd job the grind feels 10 times more painful and tedious that's even with a burning effect
  • Evan_Von_GustavEvan_Von_Gustav
    Reactions: 620
    edited April 2018
    early game is so boring for that illium all other classes I have played I actually enjoyed the whole entire process of leveling but that class is so tedious early on I can't make it to my 3rd job the grind feels 10 times more painful and tedious that's even with a burning effect

Are you sure we're not talking about Angelic Buster's pre-3rd job? iirc, It was a slog to get through early game because the recharge rate is low, and the Soul Battery only has a handfull of skills to switch between, none of which were very fun.
    I eventually got my AB to 3rd job, and once I got to 4th job, getting it to 140 to give it an Empress Soul Shooter to match the official artwork was actually pretty fun....
  • EbontribeEbontribe
    Reactions: 425
    edited May 2018
    BelloPally wrote: »

Fun is a relative term. You cannot define a class as fun or not based on your opinion only.

According to this DPM chart, Jett is ranked 42 out of all 44 classes. And just as UserRed said, Jett's mobbing is one of the worst in this game; most of Jett's skills cannot be used midair and have poor hitboxes. Cosmic Upheaval even causes disconnection.

Lastly, I don't know what you mean by "extremely mobile". Jett's mobility was nerfed heavily during the Override update.

"Fun is a relative term. You cannot define a class as fun or not based on your opinion only. "
    want to bet? my opinion of fun is the only opinion of fun that matters since its subjective anyways and that means im obviously not going to take your word for it as we are different people.

"According to this DPM chart, Jett is ranked 42 out of all 44 classes"
    Grats on that i guess? you realize the DPM charts are in an ideal scenario with 4k legion levels all links and so fourth correct? your also aware the previous person spoke about enjoying their Jett not about Jetts numbers right? so you now throwing them out here and then stating where Jett is is actually you telling them that their fun is null and void and only thing that matters is DPM

"Lastly, I don't know what you mean by "extremely mobile". Jett's mobility was nerfed heavily during the Override update"
    again you like to argue people's personal opinion it seems..... they enjoy the mobility and find it more than adequate so your notes on jett losing mobility again kinda moot like your DPM chart.

BUT since this thread is about Illium not Bashing Jett Per Usual!

Illium has issues IMO too
    tbh he does feel clunky his wings of glory is a dps decrease
    he has to rely on his robots
    he has to mash those 2 keys at all times or he dies due to umbra buff
    his moves are too flashy and take up legit too much of the field of view
    his invincibility move takes his stacks away forcing his dmg to go down when hes invincible
    yes he does get a heal but the CD is aweful!
    the crystal legit takes too much time to fill and rehcarge - even the 5s window is too long at the end

AND i got mine to 175 before i made the call on this

IMO if you like spamming 2 keys and hitting buffs without moving this is a guy for you! He does less damage than shade takes less of a hit and is miraculously more boring! Only now if you fall asleep mid farm you'll die!
  • RedLeafHeart777RedLeafHeart777
    Reactions: 930
    edited May 2018
    Ebontribe wrote: »
    "Fun is a relative term. You cannot define a class as fun or not based on your opinion only. "
    want to bet? my opinion of fun is the only opinion of fun that matters since its subjective anyways and that means im obviously not going to take your word for it as we are different people.

Grats on that i guess? you realize the DPM charts are in an ideal scenario with 4k legion levels all links and so fourth correct? your also aware the previous person spoke about enjoying their Jett not about Jetts numbers right? so you now throwing them out here and then stating where Jett is is actually you telling them that their fun is null and void and only thing that matters is DPM

"Lastly, I don't know what you mean by "extremely mobile". Jett's mobility was nerfed heavily during the Override update"
    again you like to argue people's personal opinion it seems..... they enjoy the mobility and find it more than adequate so your notes on jett losing mobility again kinda moot like your DPM chart.

"Your thoughts don't matter, so Jett doesn't need to be buffed!"

his invincibility move takes his stacks away forcing his dmg to go down when hes invincible
    the crystal legit takes too much time to fill and rehcarge - even the 5s window is too long at the end

"But my thoughts do matter, so Illium needs to be buffed!"

*Confusion intensifies*

My goodness, 175! Not even close to 5th job advancement and acting as if he knows ALL about the class!

I have to admit, this is the most hilarious thing I've seen this year. Well done, mate!
  • XenomataXenomata
    Reactions: 2,595
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2018
    I feel a strong need to interject, speaking as someone who came back to MS playing Illium and ended at level 204.

Yes his early game sucks. 1st job especially. You spend most of the time doing loot quests with one weak skill and one extra weak skill that doesn't offer a significant boost to the other, and a summon who is unreliable in its attack patterns.

2nd job isn't that much better, but it at least improves his range of attack. Since most of the enemies (in Reboot at least) are able to be 1-2 hit killed with the still weak Radiant Javelin, the fact you keep using a weak 1st job skill in 2nd job doesn't hurt as much. But this is when you need to begin learning what sets Illium apart from every other class: Illium centers most of his combat ability around the Crystal rather than the area around him, which is the area that will inflict the most damage to monsters in it. The crystal is where Machina hangs around, its where the Reaction skills are centered, and it lets the Radiant Javelin hit enemies above or below if positioned correctly. Everywhere else on the map will have weak coverage compared to the area the crystal is in, and Illium has very few options for when an enemy is directly in front of him without moving the crystal, but if you learn to control the crystals positioning and use of skills, you WILL see the danger of being in the crystals area to your benefit.

3rd job is where Illiums power begins to build up, between the damage boosts to Radiant Javelin and Wings of Glory, which while not good for bossing is still good for mobbing.

And 4th job is where the damage builds up even more, as well as finally improving Radiant Javelin to Radiant Javelin II. Longinus Spear is a good mobbing skill from the right angles, but knowing when to unleash it is important: a badly aimed Spear will only hit one enemy, but a well-aimed one will mow at least 3 or 4 platforms down in one fell stinger.

Hyper Skills and 5th job don't bring anything immensely new to the table. Longinus Zone is a great massive attack that fortunately doesn't center on the crystal, but it's not anything too separate from other hyper skills. Crystalline Bulwark I don't like as an invincibility skill, since you only get 1 second of invincibility per Lucent Brand stack, compared to other classes who get far more than that without any prerequisites determining the duration, but it's invincibility who'se complaining. Crystal Ignition is a nice and massive attack, but I really don't think the cooldown needs to be so big (3 minutes). I can't comment on Templar Knight, but it doesn't really seem like an immense game-changer for Illium.

Illium's biggest problem isn't that he is weak, because he isn't. The area around the crystal is a deadly zone that can cause most bosses to die in a surprisingly short amount of time. Illium's problem is that bosses who can move around will be able to leave the zone without issue, and Illium has trouble getting the crystal into a good position again because it doesn't want to move a few inches at a time, only large distances. He also takes a lot more damage than other classes if he doesn't have Lucent Brand stacks, which also happen to be his main form of damage build-up, even amounting to a boost in Attack Speed (which if I understand will eventually be made passive), so his damage may fluctuate if you do nothing to avoid attacks. There is also the issue that his attack effects, especially the Crystal itself, cover up a lot more of an enemy than other characters effects do, which can cause problems when trying to identify the skill the enemy is doing next (a problem especially if a boss can cast Damage Reflect), but turning the transparency of skills up too much will cause you to be unable to see the Crystal entirely, which can cause problems when trying to reposition it.

If what you like is Demon Avenger, fine. I personally think DA is just a generic/bland class whose main gimmick doesn't actually mean anything, especially when it used to actually mean something that your hp was constantly being eaten up but now is only slightly inconvenient. And if you don't like how Illium is played, even after coming to actually understand it, that's fine to. But saying the class is terrible and needs damage adjustments is not a fair form of criticism towards a class, especially when you barely even touched what Illium is really capable of.

Also, please learn punctuation. It hurt more trying to figure out where the sentences began and ended than what you said about Illium, and really just doesn't sound mature in general, let alone when complaining or criticizing.
  • Lucsean99Lucsean99
    edited May 2018
    BelloPally wrote: »

BUT since this thread is about Illium not Bashing Jett Per Usual!

IMO if you like spamming 2 keys and hitting buffs without moving this is a guy for you! He does less damage than shade takes less of a hit and is miraculously more boring! Only now if you fall asleep mid farm you'll die!

Well lad it seems you have more time on your hands. Given I'm working with all of the class to lv 130 before focusing on my favourite DPS class. The funny fact i don't really care damage range etc, or legion rankings. If you rushed through it without enjoying ti you will definitely get bored
  • Lucsean99Lucsean99
    edited May 2018
    If anyone disagrees with me in regardless to the Jett. oh well it still feels fine that's your view on it.
    https://www.facebook.com/Lucsean99