[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

KMS vs Black Mage - The Result

iamflipiamflip
Reactions: 560
Member, Private Tester
edited August 2018 in Non-GMS Content Discussion

As of several hours ago, KMSers finally defeated the Black Mage. After passing the 3rd phase, they came about to deliver a whimpering finishing blow to the Black Mage.

And that's it. Everyone is saved, we can all go home now.

...doesn't this just seem lackluster of an ending? For the amount of buildup and insanity players had to go through for years, only to lead up to generic dialogue and no thorough resolution? Heck, much of the story had something unique for each class while the ending was just... nothing special.

Suffice to say, the reaction out of KMS has been either of denial or really close to rioting at Nexon Korea's offices.

I can only hope that JMS and GMS staff can pick up the slack and alter this content to bring about a more satisfying ending. I'd be happy enough to just get unique dialogue from the White Mage to each class.
  1. What do you think of the ending to the Black Mage?42 votes
    1. It was satisfactory
       29% (12 votes)
    2. It was terrible
       71% (30 votes)

Comments

• DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited August 2018
    Who do we kill next?
    JettLuvsU
  • iamflipiamflip
    Reactions: 560
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    Who do we kill next?

Darmoor is likely next
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    My question is what happens now to all the content centered around the black mage.
    Do people still log in tomorrow to do their Arcane River dailies?
    Do new explorers still find the bound Black Mage in Temple of Time and set him free?

With normal bosses, each character has its own personal progression, so it makes a certain sense that even though other people have already defeated Lotus, you are just now meeting Gelimer for the first time as a Resistance doing job advancement quests.

But with a World Boss, that individual progression through the story has been broken.

So, what happens to all that content now?
    Manji
  • ArgentArgent
    Reactions: 3,090
    edited August 2018
    The Black Mage actually wins since he's killing off a whole bunch of content.
    StayGoldKargoDnaman101AzoraniJettLuvsU
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited August 2018
    I really don't like the way they did this. It should have never been a server based boss to begin with. Other games have done this in the past and it always ends terribly. The ending seemed lacklustre too. Imo they should have had something crazy happen at the end like someone backstabbing the Blackmage for power while he was weak or an ally such as empress becoming purely evil after somehow getting the Black mage's power. They could have also had the next likely main boss such as Darmoor make his debut. Very disappointing.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited August 2018
    iamflip wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough to just get unique dialogue from the White Mage to each class.

There is dialog unique to each class.
    At the very least, there is confirmed unique dialog for Zero characters, where the Black Mage refers to the player as a Transcendent.
  • Sterling_AislingSterling_Aisling
    Reactions: 910
    edited August 2018
    (Get ready for a long rant.)

Pretty much............ boring at the end. It just doesn't feel like they've put enough effort into it, and it also felt like it went way too fast, and rushed. I love MapleStory and all... but seriously? I'm almost absolutely sure that I'm not going to continue playing the game when it comes out. Unless they change it to something better. No offense, it's fantastic and all. But no, first you hyped it up with amazing features, and then bring us down by that bland ending. And then we have to continue the story because of Darmoor? The newer and better boss than the Black Mage? Great, that somewhat ruined the mood. Not that I'm unhappy we get to keep going on, but please do get it together. I honestly don't want MapleStory to end, just yet.
  • UpsilonGreenUpsilonGreen
    Reactions: 630
    edited September 2018
    Perhaps Nexon has been planning for Darmoor to be the final boss for some time. They somewhat introduced him in Tempest and haven't really touched him since.

Magnus is still around isn't he? He's with Darmoor. Always thought that Magnus would betry and kill the Black Mage after his defeat, then Darmoor would make his appearance and continue the Black Mage's plan.

Still don't have an archer or mage for the nova yet, either.

Now there's the Lef race or whatever Illium's race is called.

There's no soul weapon thing for Black Mage is there? Imagine that.

But yeah, the Black Mage was a let down in many ways, but hey, that's Nexon. At least we can focus on Darmoor and hope he's better.
  • VinsaneVinsane
    Reactions: 2,210
    edited October 2018
    AKradian wrote: »
    My question is what happens now to all the content centered around the black mage.
    Do people still log in tomorrow to do their Arcane River dailies?
    Do new explorers still find the bound Black Mage in Temple of Time and set him free?

With normal bosses, each character has its own personal progression, so it makes a certain sense that even though other people have already defeated Lotus, you are just now meeting Gelimer for the first time as a Resistance doing job advancement quests.

But with a World Boss, that individual progression through the story has been broken.

So, what happens to all that content now?

Oddly enough, I was hoping the maple world would go back to its Pre Big bang era.
  • AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited September 2018
    iamflip wrote: »

Darmoor is likely next

Darmoor I've come to bargain

I honestly don't want MapleStory to end, just yet.

I'mma be real with you chief

It ended when the Black Mage came into focus. Maplestory used to be a "sandbox" rpg where it was like a choose your own adventure with social media options. I had fun doing absolutely nothing in Maplestory for no reason until there was a story involved. And to be honest, MMOs with stories tend to always come out half-baked. Look at Tera, for example. It's hard to share a spotlight in an MMO. If anything I was hoping there'd be no more story and we can all go back to maplestory antebellum
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited September 2018
    AznboiE wrote: »
    I had fun doing absolutely nothing in Maplestory for no reason until there was a story involved.

But there was plenty of story before the black mage

The story of Orbis potentially crashing into Elnath due to pixies removing pieces of the clouds.

The story of Masteria, Versal, and the Crimsonwood Grandmasters.

The Story of how the people of maple world lost their Will

The story of Zakum

The story of the Ludus Lake Clocktower

etc.

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    bumbertyr wrote: »
    AznboiE wrote: »
    I had fun doing absolutely nothing in Maplestory for no reason until there was a story involved.

But there was plenty of story before the black mage

The story of Orbis potentially crashing into Elnath due to pixies removing pieces of the clouds.

The story of Masteria, Versal, and the Crimsonwood Grandmasters.

The Story of how the people of maple world lost their Will

The story of Zakum

The story of the Ludus Lake Clocktower

etc.

I much preferred it that way, to be honest.
    It was more like a real world, where different people have different problems you can help them with. Some were small, like an NPC having an item stolen by monsters, and some were big, like a whole town about to come crashing down from the clouds. But they were all self-contained (even if they sent you to other continents).
    And then the Black Mage story took over, and every bit of trouble in the world was suddenly due to him or the Black Wings. I found that "All Evil Comes From Satan" premise quite annoying and out-of-place for Maple World.

Unfortunately, that overarching story has been with us for so long, that a return to the "you're just a sword for hire, helping random people with random issues" story style would likely cause many players - who have been training to become the Savior of the World for years - to quit. Nexon had to make up this "But wait! Another world has its own Satan we need to help them with!" new overarching story, to try to keep player attention. We'll have to wait and see whether that works out for them.
    bumbertyrIvangold
  • TerrorStreakTerrorStreak
    Reactions: 2,320
    edited September 2018
    If you ask me as far as GMS is concerned when the black mage is finally defeated here the game should just come to a final close for everyone. LOL could you imagine, yup black mage is dead servers are all closing... enjoy maplestory 2 and then in maplestory 2, eventually bring the black mage back cause he got resurrected by a bunch of stupid kids who don't know any better LOL >=)
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2018
    If you ask me as far as GMS is concerned when the black mage is finally defeated here the game should just come to a final close for everyone. LOL could you imagine, yup black mage is dead servers are all closing... enjoy maplestory 2 and then in maplestory 2, eventually bring the black mage back cause he got resurrected by a bunch of stupid kids who don't know any better LOL >=)

MS2 is set before ms1..
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited September 2018
    MS2 is set before ms1..

More than that, it's alternate continuity at this point.
    Places and characters share names and general designs, but are fairly different interpretations. This is why Ludibrium is right next to Henesys (or generally close to it, separated by a "gap") in MS2.
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited September 2018
    I really hope we get a good ending in gms after defeating the black mage the white mage would say example: *thank you maplers XXXX* something like that would really like to see that in gms.
    Reactions: 735
    edited October 2018
    The Black Mage should've literately been impossible to kill which is a shame.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited October 2018
    The Black Mage felt rushed, i feel they could have done some events that affected the entire word, maybe even a second Big Bang changing many of the storylines, i feel Darmoor is going too rushed man.
    Sterling_Aisling
  • xNailKaiserxNailKaiser
    Reactions: 2,440
    edited October 2018
    I wonder when we'll be confronting those beyond the Transcendents... The Great Overseers?
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited June 2019
    Nexon Korea dropped the ball, they could have made it the most epic stuff ever but meh, nothing they do is going to be worse than ruining the game with the big-bang
    Maybe the branch in USA actually makes it better

I used to imagine it, like a final last stand against all commanders backing the black mage, one last time and every player is invited to the fight with no restrictions

The black mage would summon them all and make them stronger "chaos" so you had to fight all of them one after another in chronological order, weakest to strongest or all at the same time considering it would be like a massive lag mess maybe is better to fight one after another

Oh maybe a maple world war, I mean in the background all the people you help in maple world dealing with mobs and instructors and the masters of all classes helping out fighting as well in other words, a worldwide invasion thing where all mobs and bosses of their own areas spawn in towns and people fight them
    then after all the towns are safe everyone is called to sleepy-wood cause all the commanders are reunited there and slowly taking down one after another
    the party ends at balrog sanctuary where all fight the black mage and when he is about to die instead is eaten by a massive balrog and then the missing transcendent shows up to take over everything leading to a clash of two ridiculously powerful beings (spoiler balrog owns and becomes even more powerful) and that would end with
    an almost unbeatable boss, when defeated by all the players a cut scene, should play how it dies by everyone combined efforts then showing how everything is peace people and monsters helping each other ending with zooming out of a big maple tree as it turns into the last page of a book that is presumably being closed by your character that book being MapleStory

that would be so marvelous but I guess the reality isn't going to turn out like that
    there is soo many options to make it amazing and allow everyone to participate not just level 250+ folks
    Sterling_Aisling