[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

When is Same-gender Marriage finally happening?

RaindropsRaindrops
Reactions: 610
edited October 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Talking about marriage in Maplestory, I'm aware that you have to be of the opposite gender of your partner to be able to get married, what's the point of not allowing two people of the same gender to get married as well? What if two people of the same gender want to commit to each other but don't like the idea of creating mules to get married, which is pointless anyways.

Friendship rings do exist but they don't fully express the purpose and are not official claims that two people are committed to each other. Why hasn't this feature been implemented in the game for so long already? It would create a more equal and more enjoyable environment. Please consider adding this to the game.
DFDFDTamireliaSlicedTimeRenniLyedenHarmlessaufeuzDevilsbishopVenusVS

Comments

• DFDFDDFDFD
    Reactions: 2,160
    edited October 2018
    I've always found it quite baffling that it isn't a thing yet. Especially considering Nexon enabled same-sex marriages on Mabinogi (which isn't available in any other version of it).
    The only other possible "reasoning" I can think of is that Nexon for some reason views Maple as a "children's" game? In which case:
    1) The vast majority of current playerbase are in their 20's or late teens.
    2) Homosexuality isn't some foul thing to hide from the sight of children, quite the contrary. A socially responsible company would enable it just to make a stand on educating towards tolerance and embracing diversity.
    TamireliaRaindropsRenniSlicedTimeLyedenLaicalasseHarmlessVenusVS
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited October 2018
    Raindrops wrote: »
    Why hasn't this feature been implemented in the game for so long already?
    because we are beholden to korean overlords
    xparasite9SlicedTimeLyedenLaicalasse
  • YoongiYoongi
    Reactions: 1,735
    edited October 2018
    It seriously needs to be a thing. Especially because the character's gender doesn't always reflect the gender of the person playing it. In fact, most males I know irl play female characters.
  • xparasite9xparasite9
    Reactions: 2,000
    edited October 2018
    you people have been beating this horse for at least 6 years. Korea's not as "woke" as the west wishes the whole world would be, and as long as that's the case, the chances of this happening to Nexon's flagship game are very low.

The only reason it was so easily applied to Mabinogi was the rebirth system, and the fact that when you rebirth a character you're given the option to change its gender, but historically you were locked out of that option if you were in a marriage.

For now, Angelic Buster is gender-locked to female, and marriages are only between male and female characters. This will likely continue to be true for the foreseeable future as long as geopolitics maintain their current course. At this point, it would be more likely that marriages would just be removed from the game.
    Lilyflower
  • YoongiYoongi
    Reactions: 1,735
    edited October 2018
    xparasite9 wrote: »
    you people have been beating this horse for at least 6 years. Korea's not as "woke" as the west wishes the whole world would be, and as long as that's the case, the chances of this happening to Nexon's flagship game are very low.

The only reason it was so easily applied to Mabinogi was the rebirth system, and the fact that when you rebirth a character you're given the option to change its gender, but historically you were locked out of that option if you were in a marriage.

For now, Angelic Buster is gender-locked to female, and marriages are only between male and female characters. This will likely continue to be true for the foreseeable future as long as geopolitics maintain their current course. At this point, it would be more likely that marriages would just be removed from the game.

Except gms has done things in their game that kms has not, and I highly doubt that gms adding same sex marriage will have any effect on kms. gms has a history of doing things it's own way anyway.

I think that it's important for people to continue to keep bringing up the issue, because it's not like gay people are going away.
    DFDFD
  • ACMBlackCipherACMBlackCipher
    Reactions: 1,690
    edited October 2018
    Yoongi wrote: »
    xparasite9 wrote: »

Except gms has done things in their game that kms has not, and I highly doubt that gms adding same sex marriage will have any effect on kms. gms has a history of doing things it's own way anyway.

I think that it's important for people to continue to keep bringing up the issue, because it's not like gay people are going away.

Because GMS doing things its own way has culminated in what exactly other than the removal of content years after it's been implemented? The marriage system is outdated content as it is and they probably make less money on weddings than on 1k nx "Last chance" item sales. Would really prefer giving priority to optimizing the Frankenstein's Monster that the GMS code has become.
    Lilyflower
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited October 2018
    Foe those who want same gender marriage go play ms2 they have it :) also implementing on gms... chances are very very very low.
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    Reactions: 2,160
    edited October 2018
    Lilyflower wrote: »
    Foe those who want same gender marriage go play ms2 they have it :) also implementing on gms... chances are very very very low.

"For those who want same gender marriage go live in Canada, they have it".
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited October 2018
    DFDFD wrote: »
    Lilyflower wrote: »

-snip-

• EnokumoEnokumo
    Reactions: 1,610
    edited October 2018
    too lazy to implemented. We get shabby and uninteresting content instead. -shrug-
  • xNailKaiserxNailKaiser
    Reactions: 2,440
    edited October 2018
    The values and norms of Korea are reflected in the game. Since Nexon America is only publishing and translating the game as well as overall maintenance, we have no say here in the USA. Nexon America answers to Nexon Korea. If you want change, you're asking the wrong company.
    Lilyflower
  • BDanBDan
    Reactions: 885
    edited October 2018
    Yoongi wrote: »
    It seriously needs to be a thing. Especially because the character's gender doesn't always reflect the gender of the person playing it. In fact, most males I know irl play female characters.

Heh. #truth.
  • TsundereKyuTsundereKyu
    Reactions: 2,120
    edited October 2018
    Most male cosmetics in this game arent as good
  • AerwickAerwick
    Reactions: 505
    edited October 2018
    I don't know if anyone already posted about this (Eventho I'm quite sure someone did)
    But, I'd like to request the add-on of same sex marriage in the game, It's legal in the US, make it legal in GMS.
    I don't know how nexon can integrate it into their system and Amoria PQ (I dont think it would affect it since both males and both females can be married)

On that note, maybe add a sex-change coupon.
    Have all the hairs/eyes that are exclusively male/female change to their opposite sex counterpart or deleted (or maybe turned into an untradeable or account transferable hair coupon).
    I think that would be a great way to differentiate GMS from other Maplestory servers around the world, and add a special exclusive content that makes GMS speical.
  • KyrieigKyrieig
    Reactions: 700
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    Is it serious that same gender chars cannot marry ?
    I've heard that is because korea is all anti-gay and stuff
    But dude.... even that GMS is copping ? Gay descrimination ?
  • xNailKaiserxNailKaiser
    edited October 2018
    Ask the developers at KMS, not GMS. They control what the core content systems are, not the GMS staff.
    Lilyflower
  • xNailKaiserxNailKaiser
    edited October 2018
    As I've posted for other people on this...

GMS does NOT control the core systems and content of the game. KMS, the originators of all content, are the people you need to ask, so this poll is pointless and any legal standings are invalidated by the fact that KMS is the one's who are or aren't acting on this. The GMS, Nexon America, publishers are that... publishers. They have some coders to fix bugs and resubmit them to KMS's bug tracking service and code base, but KMS is the entity that changes all the code in the game and allows whatever content they feel is part of the game. You want this to happen, ask Nexon Korea.
    Lilyflower
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited October 2018
    Seeing as the Nexon Korea CEO is relatively young (Jiwon Park), you might have a chance at it. South Koreans are more liberal than a lot of other Asian nations.

Moreover, Owen Mahoney, Nexon America CEO is Australian, which also tend to be liberal.

It just wouldn't be wise to use "sales of wedding tickets would go up" to ask for it, since they will in all probability run the numbers and the projections wont match the claims.

• SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    Just add friendship rings that have effects meant for couples and call it a day lol.
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited October 2018
    I see no point in it its not something that benefits me nor the Koreans. I say before they even add that in the game they should add a riza class the first black class in maplestory history. Once they add that we might consider it but yea I am not for it but if they add I wont be against it. Shout out to those who want it. I don't but gl and hope you find your thing.

RizaSaika#8726
    Riza Saika (bera-Leader of Dragontribe)
    Riza Saika (ms community- Voice of the people)
    Riza Saika (ms community- Voice of the voiceless)
    Riza Saika (Greatest thing to hit maple since fangblade)
This discussion has been closed.