[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why Adding 10 Channels Won't Solve The Problem?

AlantinoAlantino
Reactions: 990
edited October 2018 in General Chat
So why by adding 10 more channels won't solve the biggest problem in our game, which is... of course, hackers/botters...

Simple.

There are way way too many hackers/botters not only in Bera, but in any other server as well.

Some people thought that by adding those 10 channels, they'd be able to finally get a spot/channel to train at.

But, think again.

Don't you think that hackers are also fighting with each other when it comes to a great spot/channel?
Of course they are.

And now when we'd have more 10 channels, what do you think those hackers will do? if you think that they'd just stay in channels 1-20, then you most likely live on another planet...

We all know exactly what is going to happen when we get 10 more channels... those hackers/botters will jump on them and fight over them like they always do...
Although this time it's probably gonna be even worse because again, we're talking here about new 10 channels, so hackers/botters probably gonna be very excited about it...
So they're going to fight over them like crazy...

So if you put it like this, then don't you think it'd be better if we won't get those 10 channels? I mean, if you think about it, the ones who are going to control those channels are absolutely gonna be hackers, no doubt about it... so what's the point anyway?
I'm not saying that we should or shouldn't get them, Nexon has already decided, and this is their own game, so they're able to do whatever they want, but I'm just wondering...

Do you think it's a good idea?
  1. Do you think it's a good idea?21 votes
    1. No.
       62% (13 votes)
    2. Yes, because... (you must explain yourself)
       38% (8 votes)

Comments

• DFDFDDFDFD
    Reactions: 2,160
    edited October 2018
    Hackers don't go to popular maps to begin with. I have never ever in my life seen a hacker in CLP, Slurpy, or any other map on high demand. The more popular the map the more likely they are to get reported and banned.
  • NicholasBNicholasB
    Reactions: 1,195
    edited October 2018
    DFDFD wrote: »
    Hackers don't go to popular maps to begin with. I have never ever in my life seen a hacker in CLP, Slurpy, or any other map on high demand. The more popular the map the more likely they are to get reported and banned.

No offense, but it feels as if you're living in your own world.

I can't even train due to a high amount of hackers...
    And they're definitely taking over popular maps as well.
  • MigiSouthpawMigiSouthpaw
    Reactions: 1,000
    edited October 2018
    That is exactly what I was thinking, it won't do much as help legit players but botters they will take over those extra 10 channels without a doubt

If only they disappeared...
    anubis421
  • DarkZettaDarkZetta
    Reactions: 1,325
    edited October 2018

You clearly don't play on Reboot, because a lot of the popular Arcana maps have hackers.
  • BugsinthegameBugsinthegame
    Reactions: 910
    edited October 2018
    What are you talking about?

I have NEVER competed for maps with hackers since I joined reboot (for as long as I remember). All I've ever seen was the occasional blep of hacking, and then they leave. They never disturb me.
    The addition of 10 channels isn't meant help botters, even if it does.
    Nexon is obviously trying to give more space for high level players to farm in.
    DFDFD
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited October 2018
    What are you talking about?

I have NEVER competed for maps with hackers since I joined reboot (for as long as I remember). All I've ever seen was the occasional blep of hacking, and then they leave. They never disturb me.
    The addition of 10 channels isn't meant help botters, even if it does.
    Nexon is obviously trying to give more space for high level players to farm in.

it may be intended to help alleviate instability and have more space for Bera and Rebooters, but bots don't think like that. They will ultimately use those extra channels.
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited October 2018
    Hey guys, so the additional channels are definitely meant to help with Bera and Reboot's large population. We know that there's a deeper issue adding more channels won't address and that it's the number of hackers in game. This is a separate issue that we're putting efforts into fighting with more updates coming on that in a separate announcement.
    ArgentKush
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited October 2018
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Hey guys, so the additional channels are definitely meant to help with Bera and Reboot's large population. We know that there's a deeper issue adding more channels won't address that it's the number of hackers in game. This is a separate issue that we're putting efforts into fighting with more updates coming on that in a separate announcement.

Not more housing for an upcoming alliance? I don't think I can wait to 2019 for a possible alliance. I am wondering if you guys have any idea who is considered empty is needs a merge and those that can wait. I've been hearing GRAZED, MYBCKN and Khroa are the quiet servers and I am wondering if any of them can be brought together.
    Traveler5577
  • LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
    Reactions: 1,285
    edited October 2018
    Arwoo wrote: »
    Hey guys, so the additional channels are definitely meant to help with Bera and Reboot's large population. We know that there's a deeper issue adding more channels won't address that it's the number of hackers in game. This is a separate issue that we're putting efforts into fighting with more updates coming on that in a separate announcement.

Arwoo... If you don't mind me asking. I am not on my old account anymore, but I played and stopped here before. I remember that 2007 was the worst year of hacker (correct me if I am wrong. There was one - two years that hackers were dominating everything.) However, isn't your security thing a bit outdated. Most games I learned already switched security for games already and better than what you guys are using now. Why still use an outdated version? I am just curious.

Edit:
    (By all means, it it's the best you can afford and too troublesome to update... by all means. But I was hoping you guys would switch securities after 10 years.)
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    DarkZetta wrote: »

You clearly don't play on Reboot, because a lot of the popular Arcana maps have hackers.

I play reboot and almost never see hackers. Of course, I don't go for the popular maps.
    The few I do see are usually the same people (I play the same channel always) in the same map and they just haven't been banned yet.
    It's hard to report them because they CC or D/C so quickly. If we had a report option that allowed you to report players not on the map, it would help.
    (I think this was mentioned in a future patch somewhere?)
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    edited October 2018

I clearly do play on Reboot, and my statement still stands. Name the maps, we might have a very different idea on what popular means.

NicholasB wrote: »

Call me extremely skeptical. Like someone else here said, hackers nowadays automatically cc when you enter the map. Even if there were any hackers where you're trying to train, they'd be out of your hair in seconds.
  • GevyGevy
    Reactions: 500
    edited October 2018
    If they expand the channels, they can merge the servers/expand the alliances. Once (hopefully) the hacking problem is dealt with they can eventually reduce the number of channels.
  • LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
    Reactions: 1,285
    edited October 2018
    But, what if the more channels thing backfire? I know the maplestory staff made moves they regretted before due to careless decisions and not thinking of the consequences. We could run into a worse situation. Maybe, not as bad as what happened in 2007-2008, but it might lead to it if not done carefully.
  • L4d2jpnL4d2jpn
    Reactions: 2,060
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    Channels 21-30 have been the smoothest channels by far. I don't think bots utilize these channels as 21-30 definitely look more representative of the true population.

The only hope is that public/private hacks leave thse channels alone and just take 1-20.

@below - Come try Bera. Channels die within 15 minutes, find a new chan and it'll die within 15 minutes again. Literally only playable right after maintenance when bots aren't setup after being disconnected or through modifying "certain things" which usually takes hackers/bots offline for a few hours/days until they've updated their code to run again. Swirlled posted a gif of how bad it is in Bera. Every other server including reboot has almost no delay time when dropping items, just Bera took about a full second for a client item drop command to fully register.

The past 2 days in channel 30 have been the most pleasant experience training that I've ever had in about the past 3-4 years. But I know it's only a temporary feeling cause eventually 21-30 will suffer the same fate as 1-20. It's only a matter of time.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2018
    L4d2jpn wrote: »
    Channels 21-30 have been the smoothest channels by far. I don't think bots utilize these channels as 21-30 definitely look more representative of the true population.

The only hope is that public/private hacks leave thse channels alone and just take 1-20.

I've never had issues with channels 1-10 on Reboot (But always had them with 11-20), these new ones seem to be okay. I tried channel 24 for a few hours and other than one weird lag spike, it was pretty smooth.
  • KweoKweo
    Reactions: 1,035
    edited October 2018
    Bera and Reboot needed the extra channels for players a very long time ago. Bera when the world leap happened. Reboot when the server launched. They've both generally have been on the decline in terms of real players, so I don't really understand why Nexon would increase the channels now to help players. In the short term it means more spots for players to train, and a 50% increase in prime botting maps for bots. I wouldn't be surprised if bots increase their numbers to take advantage of this. Long term, this could potentially drop the value of the bera meso to the same value as the other servers, so the bots may also spread and go back to farming other servers and reduce the load on bera. As of writing this, the value of bera meso is around 1.3x ~ 2x more than the other normal servers.
  • anubis421anubis421
    Reactions: 710
    edited October 2018

I clearly do play on Reboot, and my statement still stands. Name the maps, we might have a very different idea on what popular means.

NicholasB wrote: »

Call me extremely skeptical. Like someone else here said, hackers nowadays automatically cc when you enter the map. Even if there were any hackers where you're trying to train, they'd be out of your hair in seconds.

As a Reboot player, I have no idea what you're talking about...
    Actually, I think we can even rename Reboot and make it HackBoot... way too many hackers, but you're saying that you don't see hackers? that's really really strange...
    I hope you're being serious though...
    L4d2jpn wrote: »

@below - Come try Bera. Channels die within 15 minutes, find a new chan and it'll die within 15 minutes again. Literally only playable right after maintenance when bots aren't setup after being disconnected or through modifying "certain things" which usually takes hackers/bots offline for a few hours/days until they've updated their code to run again. Swirlled posted a gif of how bad it is in Bera. Every other server including reboot has almost no delay time when dropping items, just Bera took about a full second for a client item drop command to fully register.

The past 2 days in channel 30 have been the most pleasant experience training that I've ever had in about the past 3-4 years. But I know it's only a temporary feeling cause eventually 21-30 will suffer the same fate as 1-20. It's only a matter of time.

That's what I thought.

Just wait and see how those botters will fill up the new channels, it just a matter of time to be honest :(
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    edited October 2018
    anubis421 wrote: »
    Actually, I think we can even rename Reboot and make it HackBoot... way too many hackers, but you're saying that you don't see hackers? that's really really strange...

No, that's not what I'm saying actually. I suggest you read it again carefully.
    And also I'm sorry to inform you this, but Reboot has far less botters than regular servers. You can't sell mesos on Reboot, so there's a far smaller market for bots there.
  • KweoKweo
    Reactions: 1,035
    edited October 2018
    You can't sell mesos on Reboot, so there's a far smaller market for bots there.

This isn't totally true. While you can't trade mesos around directly on reboot, people do trade or sell accounts with meso on them already. Value of reboot meso is probably about 4x less than the other non-bera servers, but because of meso% gears and higher server meso rates, they farm meso about 10x faster.
  • anubis421anubis421
    Reactions: 710
    edited October 2018
    anubis421 wrote: »

No, that's not what I'm saying actually. I suggest you read it again carefully.
    And also I'm sorry to inform you this, but Reboot has far less botters than regular servers. You can't sell mesos on Reboot, so there's a far smaller market for bots there.

I was about to answer you a very similar answer to Kweo, but she said it much better.
    Kweo wrote: »
    You can't sell mesos on Reboot, so there's a far smaller market for bots there.

This isn't totally true. While you can't trade mesos around directly on reboot, people do trade or sell accounts with meso on them already. Value of reboot meso is probably about 4x less than the other non-bera servers, but because of meso% gears and higher server meso rates, they farm meso about 10x faster.

Thanks, we need more honest people like you in here.