[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Old Maplestory nostalgia?

Comments

• WillScarletWillScarlet
    Reactions: 1,225
    edited October 2016
    DepressedAran

Tuba
    Tuba said:

Ummm this is a MapleStory forums so he kinda has every right to talk about whatever he wants. If you're that triggered then don't read a post talking about this kind of stuff? I mean you're kinda setting yourself up lol..
    Maybe because you are new or something. Neotoykodude is notorious for spamming threads for a legacy server. It's actually a miracle he hasn't made another suggestion thread saying BRING BACK LEGACY SERVER IT'LL MAKE NEXON A LOT OF MONEY AND MAKE THE GAME MORE POPULAR AGAIN

https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/53w66p/old_maple/

He is probably the reason why it's a rule that you're not allowed to make a thread about implementing old server.
    ^ This
    many like me are sick of Neotoykodude constantly spamming threads that deal with "old maple" if you check his name in old forum you will see that literally 99% of his threads are how "old maple was better" and "big bang was a scum that killed old maple."
  • NeoTokyoDudeNeoTokyoDude
    Reactions: 1,240
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

@NeoTokyoDude , I strongly recommend removing the first paragraph of your opening post.
    While I don't know if the poster who's thread I was referencing is still around, I really liked the analogy. I am capable of being aware of other players "sensitivity" but I shan't pass up well thought out comparisons when I think they contribute something. Just to be on the safe side, I made the clear distinction that coco cola and Old MS are two different things.

I could go through and reply to every post of disagreement with nostalgia separately but I think I will simply reply to all of them at the same time. "If anybody would like to complain about my past deeds then I invite you to send me a private message and I would be glad to have a nice long discussion."

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    NeoTokyoDude

AKradian
    AKradian said:

@NeoTokyoDude , I strongly recommend removing the first paragraph of your opening post.
    While I don't know if the poster who's thread I was referencing is still around, I really liked the analogy. I am capable of being aware of other players "sensitivity" but I shan't pass up well thought out comparisons when I think they contribute something. Just to be on the safe side, I made the clear distinction that coco cola and Old MS are two different things.
    The only thing this analogy contributes is the implication that "the change was bad and the company did right to revert it". That's unnecessary in a nostalgia thread, and crosses the line into "legacy server" or even "go back to pre-BB" territory. In my opinion. Of course the mods have their own.

NeoTokyoDudeJettLuvsULilyflower
    edited October 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

The only thing this analogy contributes is the implication that "the change was bad and the company did right to revert it". That's unnecessary in a nostalgia thread, and crosses the line into "legacy server" or even "go back to pre-BB" territory. In my opinion. Of course the mods have their own.

I read the paragraph again and I suppose what you say is one way to interpret it. However I am standing by the fact that the soda and the game are two different things. My intention for the comparison was the part about nostalgia. In a contest between the old and new soda, the old drink was probably not "better" than the new one and yet it somehow won. That is the message I took away from it. I guess this is one more example of people seeing things differently. If I had said lets do what the soda company did or implied that then I would agree with making a change but to connect all the nostalgia dots that I wanted to connect, I first needed to define nostalgia.

It is still a good point to be aware of though.
  • liljayyyyliljayyyy
    Reactions: 1,310
    edited October 2016
    good old days!
    NeoTokyoDude
  • scholar624scholar624
    Reactions: 3,315
    edited October 2016
    Despite not being a living organism, MMORPGs still follow Darwin theory of evolution. Those who are unwilling to adapt amidst an ever changing, competitive environment will not survive. With each new patch, with every update, MS undergoes a similar change. The end result being not one of good nor bad but different than previously.

"Different denotes neither 'bad' nor 'good', but it certainly means not the same!" ~Cheshire Cat, Alice: Madness Returns

Just recently, GMS celebrated their 10 year anniversary in service. How many MMOs do you know of were unplugged before even reaching 5 years? Rather than dwelling upon previous previous versions, let's take a moment and reflect upon what made them so appealing to begin with and how would we even benefit from having the game mechanic resurfacing less than a decade later.

As a community, screaming a myriad of random requests here on the forums after every patch will only lead to conflicting information and underdeveloped content meant specifically for our region. Instead, let us work closely together (and honestly) with our community manager Michael; making sure MS continues evolving/thriving amidst the harshest competition that is the MMORPG market.

Let's all shoot for MS celebrating their 20th anniversary!
    NiightseekerJettLuvsU
    edited October 2016
    scholar624

Despite not being a living organism, MMORPGs still follow Darwin theory of evolution. Those who are unwilling to adapt amidst an ever changing, competitive environment will not survive. With each new patch, with every update, MS undergoes a similar change. The end result being not one of good nor bad but different than previously.

"Different denotes neither 'bad' nor 'good', but it certainly means not the same!" ~Cheshire Cat, Alice: Madness Returns

Just recently, GMS celebrated their 10 year anniversary in service. How many MMOs do you know of were unplugged before even reaching 5 years? Rather than dwelling upon previous previous versions, let's take a moment and reflect upon what made them so appealing to begin with and how would we even benefit from having the game mechanic resurfacing less than a decade later.

As a community, screaming a myriad of random requests here on the forums after every patch will only lead to conflicting information and underdeveloped content meant specifically for our region. Instead, let us work closely together (and honestly) with our community manager Michael; making sure MS continues evolving/thriving amidst the harshest competition that is the MMORPG market.

Let's all shoot for MS celebrating their 20th anniversary!
    I would not be against having a conversation about evolution and Maplestory but it would be out of place in a thread about memories and things that happened in Old MS.
    +1 for mentioning Alice in Wonderland
    -1 because I can't see any parts that are nostalgic

While I want to like the post, the lack of nostalgia stops me from doing so.
  • TubaTuba
    Reactions: 3,175
    edited October 2016
    WillScarlet

DepressedAran

Tuba
    Tuba said:

Ummm this is a MapleStory forums so he kinda has every right to talk about whatever he wants. If you're that triggered then don't read a post talking about this kind of stuff? I mean you're kinda setting yourself up lol..
    Maybe because you are new or something. Neotoykodude is notorious for spamming threads for a legacy server. It's actually a miracle he hasn't made another suggestion thread saying BRING BACK LEGACY SERVER IT'LL MAKE NEXON A LOT OF MONEY AND MAKE THE GAME MORE POPULAR AGAIN

https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/53w66p/old_maple/

He is probably the reason why it's a rule that you're not allowed to make a thread about implementing old server.
    ^ This
    many like me are sick of Neotoykodude constantly spamming threads that deal with "old maple" if you check his name in old forum you will see that literally 99% of his threads are how "old maple was better" and "big bang was a scum that killed old maple."
    Ok so then if you see the title of the post has to do with the older maplestory, then DON'T open it lmao. If you don't want to see it stop opening it up and looking at it you people are ridiculous lmao. This is literally a forums for MapleStory get over it.
    LilyflowerUzumeFennekinNeoTokyoDude
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited October 2016

i started to play this game way back in august 2007 and started being a warrior in scania before mardia and kradia were released but i despised it the only reason i chose that was because of the spear looking good, still i made a mistake when i reached level 30 cause i chose fighter for advancement and i stoped playing that character after that then i tried bowman in bera but it was soo slow and boring for me
    i made a cleric in windia there was a lot of good people there yet everyone later left and i found depressing being there
    after that i made a thief in kaini and since the nightlords had the "best class and expensive" status i made a bandit cause i loved the animations when you used savage blow or steal made it dex~less yet i changed my mind when the nautilus showed up
    the day the pirate class was released i was soo happy i found it extremely similar maybe even a copy of the bandits but the fact that
    they could use their fists instead of any weapon made me chose the class that in my ipinion was the most "badass class" ever
    havent changed my mind since that day {13/11/08} after a few months of making new friends in demethos and reaching level 70 i could finally see the best skill in the game period...
    i even took screenshots of it i could transform into a being made out of pure energy that moved faster and had more power in every skill
    also any action you did like climbing a rope or using a chair had animations and diferent for each gender the female one had long hair that was soo aesthetically beautiful even tough you had a small time to enjoy that was worth it

at that point i had lost and found many people and experienced the slime party quest /the carnival in ludi and the party quest/maya house/also experienced the fear of being killed by crimson balrog/or the drakes in perion/i even went too far to mushroom shrine
    {my fav place} to fight yakuza at level 30~40 in their hideout the music there its cool/
    also back then each class was really usefull and diferent
    like bowmans could help a lot with the crit buff and thiefs haste was usefull because no could run fast at all
    meso was not soo easy to get clerics had a big role everywhere warriors had attack buff and max hp increase buff
    if you saw a person with a zakum helmet back then everyone though hey look a "pro" and the others reaction was like

because back then you needed more than 2 hours of fight and really good players supporting each other to kill it good times
    {now you press 1 button and normal zakum its dead literallly}
    everything even the arrival of the young empress didnt changed much the game after aran awakening
    the worst thing in my opinion to happend to me was~
    The big bang its to this day the pivotal moment this game changed some say for the worse others say for the better in my opinion its was an
    Hecatombe because i coulnd´t play the game at all, they updated the gamefiles to work with new machines but no one said anything about it
    you now needed a "better" gpu with shader 2.0 compatibility thats why i couldn´t play the game for a few months
    turns out it was a even worse than i thought when i found out that they removed transform from the game
    that was the turning point that made me stop trying to play this game from december 2010 till sept 2012
    2 years out of the game now with new machine i was sort of hesitant to play to be honest but wanted to feel the old maps music and other things aswell after 4 years i dont have many friends in here because most either dont need to hangout or are interested in other things
    i know 5th job is comming and its not like its bad at all but its not something am hyped about yet hopefully people finds joy in it
    the things that keep me here playing are mostly the music and that i still find fun things to do not just dayly bossing and farming stuff
    my suggestion for all veterans still playing its just try to enjoy the game even the small details matter

NeoTokyoDude
    edited October 2016
    PhoenixKumo

Yeah, I really missed those hidden portals. They were fun to find and even if other people might know about it, it's still like your little secret. There's a thrill to finding a Hidden Street on your own, which is why I hate how they practically highlight all the hidden spots. It's like Maple doesn't trust people to be able to find them, goodness knows why. This is also the reason why I hated when they changed Victoria Island. It used to feel a lot bigger (and taxis were actually useful), full of secrets and adventure.
    CinderKitten

I'm not bitter that time went on, I actually really like the game nowadays because it isn't taxing to play and anyone can get into it. It's confusing when you go to farm an item you used to have is now unavailable or when you realize a zone isn't in the game anymore, but aside from that it's alright. I don't miss the old adventurer's tutorial with the weird Maple garb, having only 4 classes (I still have an old Cleric...), having an ugly character because events or free NX was unheard of, worrying if my Mesos got hacked if I didn't log in often, and maybe it was just me but it was impossible to find friends because any time I ran into anyone I'd get "CC plz or im reporting u" for being in the same zone as them.

And omg... Hidden Street..... lol

I've grown with the game and I'm proud of how far it's come. I remember being unable to get my friends into the game for more than a week because it had potential to be great, but if you didn't fork over cash or play every day for months you'd get nowhere. It was a grind before with payoffs that never felt rewarding to us, and that's changed drastically.

So idk, I like it. I feel like I'm the minority with that being said, but I do.
    Yakudle
    Yakudle said:

the worst thing in my opinion to happend to me was~ The big bang its to this day the pivotal moment this game changed some say for the worse others say for the better

One question people might wonder about is if someone has a lot of nostalgia for Old MS then does that mean they regret that the game changed? Maybe in some cases yes and maybe in some cases no. Speaking for my own point of view, I would say that game updates have not been "bad". My position is that I like the past and present Maple. Just like in science and perhaps in gaming itself, experimentation can often be the key to finding out what works the best. To deny that would be to deny chances for extra growth and development.

Having said that, I think efforts from the past are equally (if not more) important then present or future ones. If a person spends a day going through different scenarios and testing then the recording of those results will be critical in making further progress the next time. If there were no record keeping then each day would be like starting over with a blank slate. Basically similar to playing an RPG where you can never save your game. So while I don't think either extreme is "always correct" I do know that nostalgia and things like it can be important

I don't think there is anything wrong with attempting to fine tune a product but I liked the version how it was, like 50 or 100 iterations ago. I thought Nexon had already nailed it. Maple still getting updates is nice but I cant predict when, if ever of how long its going to take for the modern game to strike a balance that would surpass Old MS. I enjoy watching it try to reach its development goals however so its all good. Just depends on what one thinks the goals should be.

Neither one is inferior in my opinion but Old MS better emphasized things that I care about. Kind of like different potential outcomes in a game or a battle, can represent different collections of personal preferences.
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited October 2016
    i found this and almost made me cry lol
    This is a fix zakum party to help the 12 people aquire each of their job skills
    which drop from the demonic stone figure, the Zakum.
    Dec 8, 2007

that was zakum its just one example of how things changed
    now look at zakum now
    Sep 7, 2016
    this person wanted to...
    could solo Zakum with an 8k-9k range and some Unripe Onyx Apples i found in FM for a few mil each.

its the first time i see someone dying on normal zakum after the chaoz zakum revamp ....

like i said early i think some changes are good but some are not for the better i guess yet...
    i still love this game
    NeoTokyoDudeLilyflower
  • ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited October 2016
    I found this and cried for 31 hours until I was dehydrated and malnourished like an Ethiopian child lol
    This is a maplestory party with 2 autistic people
    Sep 29, 2011

Its the first time I see someone in a majestic kangaroo outfit since the Macy's revamp

Like I said early I think some autism are good but some are not for the better I guess yet...
    I still have schizophrenia
    NeoTokyoDudeLilyflower
  • TubaTuba
    Reactions: 3,175
    edited October 2016
    Arlong
    Arlong said:

I found this and cried for 31 hours until I was dehydrated and malnourished like an Ethiopian child lol
    This is a maplestory party with 2 autistic people
    Sep 29, 2011

Its the first time I see someone in a majestic kangaroo outfit since the Macy's revamp

Like I said early I think some autism are good but some are not for the better I guess yet...
    I still have schizophrenia
    #AutismAwareness

NeoTokyoDude
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    Reactions: 1,520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Careful 'Member Berries can be addicting ;)
    I don't upload anymore videos to youtube because I am on a different platform but ntl... Here is one of the videos

Oct 13th 2006

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5OsN6l84DPM

Along with this I have a ton of pictures, some lost on floppy discs (now that is old lol) which couldn't be recovered and some are uploaded to tinypic. One of these pictures is of one of my characters receiving a bandana from a quest.

Taken July 2012: July 2012 picture
    NeoTokyoDude
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited October 2016
    throw back to maple lagging during 16x exp :D!!!! and FM spams! and now here we have even more lag without any of those!!!
    NeoTokyoDude
    edited October 2016
    Glirotus
    Glirotus said:

Careful 'Member Berries can be addicting ;)
    I don't upload anymore videos to youtube because I am on a different platform but ntl... Here is one of the videos

Oct 13th 2006

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5OsN6l84DPM

Along with this I have a ton of pictures, some lost on floppy discs (now that is old lol) which couldn't be recovered and some are uploaded to tinypic. One of these pictures is of one of my characters receiving a bandana from a quest.

Taken July 2012: July 2012 picture
    I do miss summoning sacks being valuable.
    BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

throw back to maple lagging during 16x exp :D!!!! and FM spams! and now here we have even more lag without any of those!!!
    Back when I first tried the merchant business, I usually needed to walk all the way to the edges of the FM to stop lagging. This was long before I started using Npc run shops. There were times when I could not load or see about half of the screen because there were too many people.
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited October 2016
    Anyone remember the holiday slimes for Halloween and Christmas? Sometimes it's the small stuff that counts.
  • PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    Reactions: 2,730
    edited October 2016
    Its2Sharp4U

Anyone remember the holiday slimes for Halloween and Christmas? Sometimes it's the small stuff that counts.

Oooh, I remember Christmas slimes, when they put Christmas hats on them. So cute. I don't even remember if we had Halloween slimes, much less what they look like.
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited October 2016
    PhoenixKumo

Its2Sharp4U

Oooh, I remember Christmas slimes, when they put Christmas hats on them. So cute. I don't even remember if we had Halloween slimes, much less what they look like.
    Halloween

Christmas

NeoTokyoDude
  • PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    Reactions: 2,730
    edited October 2016
    Its2Sharp4U

PhoenixKumo

Its2Sharp4U

Halloween

Christmas

Santa hat slimes are definitely the cutest. I also remember the split-color slimes, haha. The Halloween slime still doesn't ring any bells though. I guess it's been too long :X