[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

is MapleStory dying?

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    You asked for a serious and meaningful discussion about this, OP, but there's really not a whole lot to discuss. The game isn't as popular or populated as it was eight or ten years ago, that much is a demonstrable fact. Is the game dying? Some might say so. But you have to understand that people come and go over the years. Some get banned and never come back again, others see update after update sending the game in a direction they strongly dislike, and others still simply get bored, or life happens and they move on.

There are precious few games that have enjoyed a run as long as this one while still retaining a substantial amount of players and regular bi-yearly major content additions. Even world of warcraft has seen its subscriber count dip in recent years, so it's not a matter of free-to-play versus pay-to-play. The fact that either of these games is as long-running as they are and still have a significant player base and regular content updates is nothing short of an achievement in and of itself.
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited January 2019
    RayzY wrote: »
    Sorry for the dramatic title.
    But all I hear around me is that bera and reboot are heavily populated, while the rest of the servers are empty, and "the community as well as the economy is dying".
    Is there any base to those sayings? how many people play maplestory nowdays, compare to latest years and in generall?

Let us have a serious and meaningful talk.

Well, it's as the title says it is dying but for many other reasons. A long time ago maple was a casual and fun game to play cause you had positive and fun people in the community. back then no one really fought or instigated or wanted drama they log on to enjoy the game and content and log off. you made your own story and it was whatever you wanted without judgment. From my experience with the current community, I'm not surprised that people quit or it's becoming depopulated. it's becoming toxic and un'bera'ble :p . so the question you gotta ask is what type of community you want. what incentive or reason do people want to log on. I can say maple died for me when world transfer happened. many of the people who kept the community positive and nontoxic left it and now all people want to do is cause drama or get people ban. I say if you want the game to stay alive we need to figure out what type of culture we have. and what can make maple great again. Also how to problem solve issues if they come up. most of the time when people want to voice their opinions, some people shut them down or up. so you cant get all the info that out there. but I say the best way to bring the community back to its old self is for the community as a whole to look at themselves and ask what type of community we want. if we want a community that great we can have it but we need everyone and need inclusion. We need fairness, and we also need a voice. that is what communities are made for. but then again that doesn't exist any more lmao so no point in bothering.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    riza wrote: »
    We need fairness, and we also need a voice. that is what communities are made for. but then again that doesn't exist any more lmao so no point in bothering.

Anything worth having is worth fighting for. Just because the community is poor right now does not mean there is no point.
    If everyone has this same attitude, nothing will ever change. If even one person can stand up and start making some differences, then things can change for the better.
    I would think/hope you'd feel this way given your past posting style. Don't sit around waiting for change. Do the things you can do to make it happen.
  • InvulgoInvulgo
    Reactions: 4,620
    edited January 2019
    I have seen this thread and various similar threads over and over again since 2011. The game has never really been dying, it has however been constantly changing and still is because online games are dynamic products. Sure some decisions and directions haven't been what I was really hoping for but in the end I am super grateful that I get the privilege of playing MapleStory now and in the future.
    RayzYFuhreakdarik
  • RayzYRayzY
    Reactions: 1,070
    edited January 2019
    A reminder: that post is out of a great love to MS. I really don't wanna see the game shutdown or something soon.
    I believe the game has alot more to offer, and its problems are fixable.
    Please, keep suggest how to make the game more popular and bring back its past players.
    FuhreakInvulgoKuronekonova
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited January 2019
    A reminder: that post is out of a great love to MS. I really don't wanna see the game shutdown or something soon.
    Please, keep suggest how to make the game more popular and bring back its past players.

The game is still obscenely popular in Korea, along the same lines as League or CS:GO is in the US and other parts of the world. I don't think it'll be going anywhere anytime soon.
    Fuhreak
  • RayzYRayzY
    edited January 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »

The game is still obscenely popular in Korea, along the same lines as League or CS:GO is in the US and other parts of the world. I don't think it'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

Well, it's nice to hear that. but we talk about GMS.
    EXdestFuhreak
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited January 2019

Well, it's nice to hear that. but we talk about GMS.

As long as gms has a player base, it's not going anywhere. Another thing you have to keep in mind is that a lot of the people who grew up playing this game, they've got school or work or what-have-you. If you pay attention over the course of the year, populations fluctuate pretty hard throughout the year. A spike in summer and winter that coincide with both major updates and people having breaks from school.
    Fuhreak
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited January 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    riza wrote: »
    We need fairness, and we also need a voice. that is what communities are made for. but then again that doesn't exist any more lmao so no point in bothering.

Anything worth having is worth fighting for. Just because the community is poor right now does not mean there is no point.
    If everyone has this same attitude, nothing will ever change. If even one person can stand up and start making some differences, then things can change for the better.
    I would think/hope you'd feel this way given your past posting style. Don't sit around waiting for change. Do the things you can do to make it happen.

I heard that same line in Footloose the musical, not the same thing ;) lmao. But honestly, I don't see the point I can say I love fighting for something but I don't know if the fight will get us anywhere. Fought for world merge or transfer event, nothing happened, making it great again, still progress but too much. Its a lot of work and its hard with the people we have now. They don't have that fighting spirit anymore. Only crying spirit ;) but yea I do hope something happens soon.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited January 2019
    I think one major problem is that this is an MMO and these games aren't nearly as popular as they are on Asian countries. People do prefer to do things solo in this side of the world, although sometimes its because there is no other option given the lack of people wanting to party up. There is a reason why Root Abyss stopped requiring a party to enter after all. I think there are also some other issues with how the game overall is run, it takes years for some issues to be resolved only for the next update to break it again. Being a BT main its actually hard sometimes so keep on playing when my class is so underpowered and it takes time to get to 200 with some other character even if we are being rushed into 200 because all the content is there. Heck, I missed the big Black Mage battle because I just couldn't be bothered for a while.

Maple Story itself is a good game and what I believe its that what is dying is not Maple Story itself, but the community. This game is so popular in Korea that they need additional servers so that they can keep up with the traffic, meanwhile here we are in a great need of a server merge because most servers are ghost towns. And to be honest I don't think there is an immediate solution to this. Getting new people to play a MMO and keep on going to the higher levels is not easy, even if it is free. I really believe Nexon needs to advertise Maple Story a lot more like many other games do, at least that way they could get some people to try it, but it isn't a long term solution. Eventually I think we might just end up getting merged to the Korean server and playing on a translated client just so that people can keep on playing.
    Fuhreak
  • RayzYRayzY
    edited January 2019
    HuskyDM wrote: »
    Eventually I think we might just end up getting merged to the Korean server and playing on a translated client just so that people can keep on playing.

I thought about that option too. it would be cool.
    Fuhreak
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    edited January 2019
    Eventually I think we might just end up getting merged to the Korean server and playing on a translated client just so that people can keep on playing.

I just hope that if they reach that conclusion they at least keep the GMS only content like Jett, the Sengoku, Beast Tamer, Monad, all that stuff. Would be a shame to lose all of that.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    I just hope that if they reach that conclusion they at least keep the GMS only content like Jett, the Sengoku, Beast Tamer, Monad, all that stuff. Would be a shame to lose all of that.

I'd like to see all the Non-KMS content reworked (read: balanced/better programmed) and re-integrated into the base game.
    Things will be much easier on the development team as a whole if they only have to worry about one version of the game which has multiple servers/languages.
    RayzYHuskyDM
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited January 2019

If we want to get technical, jett is not gms-only. Yes jett is a gms thing, but jett is basically the same class as zen, which is in a couple other versions(not sure which, pretty sure tms/msea). Furthermore, I don't get how you could even think the sengoku classes, whose entire area resembles feudal Japan, were gms-exclusive and not from jms. As for beast tamer, that's from cms.

And honestly, with all the bugs monad had, and probably still has, on top of the only worthwhile rewards being temp-stat medals, I doubt anyone would notice if it was removed.
  • microwavemicrowave
    Reactions: 425
    edited January 2019
    Sorry for the dramatic title.
    But all I hear around me is that bera and reboot are heavily populated, while the rest of the servers are empty, and "the community as well as the economy is dying".
    Is there any base to those sayings? how many people play maplestory nowdays, compare to latest years and in generall?

Let us have a serious and meaningful talk.

u answer is YES ,ms is dying to cause of all the problems in the game to today , none solution , none answer for fix bugs or lags and hackers , now whit the problem of the maplepoints last pff .... i think quit of the game whit my main 250 done , servers emptys why full to today is cause of bots and hackers, maplestory whit the merged event terrible die sincerly and this is by nexon and desicions bads in the game and last events in the game ( they need join to all the worlds in a unique global server for log in this, other solution in this times no. not time for continue observing servers emptys and problems -... ) .i check the memos of the adm or directive but not resolved nothing ... the black mage event was catastrofic since my point
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Oh it's this thread again
    Fuhreakdarik
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    edited January 2019

If we want to get technical, jett is not gms-only. Yes jett is a gms thing, but jett is basically the same class as zen, which is in a couple other versions(not sure which, pretty sure tms/msea). Furthermore, I don't get how you could even think the sengoku classes, whose entire area resembles feudal Japan, were gms-exclusive and not from jms. As for beast tamer, that's from cms.

And honestly, with all the bugs monad had, and probably still has, on top of the only worthwhile rewards being temp-stat medals, I doubt anyone would notice if it was removed.

I liked the plot of Monad. And yes, non-KMS would have been better wording looking back.
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited February 2019
    I think one major problem is that this is an MMO and these games aren't nearly as popular as they are on Asian countries. People do prefer to do things solo in this side of the world, although sometimes its because there is no other option given the lack of people wanting to party up. There is a reason why Root Abyss stopped requiring a party to enter after all. I think there are also some other issues with how the game overall is run, it takes years for some issues to be resolved only for the next update to break it again. Being a BT main its actually hard sometimes so keep on playing when my class is so underpowered and it takes time to get to 200 with some other character even if we are being rushed into 200 because all the content is there. Heck, I missed the big Black Mage battle because I just couldn't be bothered for a while.

Maple Story itself is a good game and what I believe its that what is dying is not Maple Story itself, but the community. This game is so popular in Korea that they need additional servers so that they can keep up with the traffic, meanwhile here we are in a great need of a server merge because most servers are ghost towns. And to be honest I don't think there is an immediate solution to this. Getting new people to play a MMO and keep on going to the higher levels is not easy, even if it is free. I really believe Nexon needs to advertise Maple Story a lot more like many other games do, at least that way they could get some people to try it, but it isn't a long term solution. Eventually I think we might just end up getting merged to the Korean server and playing on a translated client just so that people can keep on playing.

U still need a party to do ra and cra o.O , cuz" theres no way my character is going alone" :P
  • CarlacCarlac
    Reactions: 1,060
    edited February 2019
    I do not know if the game is dying but i have seen lot people come and go since I started in year three. Some get bored, some move on and some just try and do not do not like the game. And perhaps the many changes over the years drive some people off. I was an avid Magic player but the constant changes, primarily to sell more cards, led me to sell my cards and move on. And it is a shame to only a couple of worlds seem to thrive. I play in Bellocon and have more than a decade investing in developing and advancing my characters. I am not interested in starting over in another world.

i think one problem was the closing of the Free Market in favor of the auction house. In the Free Market you could do a little bargaining while the auction house is really pay the posted price with no chance to dicker and deal. It is not an auction format at all. A lot of people played, it seemed, just to sell items and the removal of the Free market changed how in game selling went and not for the better.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited February 2019
    the correct question is, "is Global Maplestory Dying" because in other regions, it's not. interest may be dwindling in gms but it doesn't mean it's dying.
    FuhreakWONDERGUY