[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

How much does “Final Damage” matter?

AlexUshimatoAlexUshimato
Reactions: 770
edited May 2019 in General Chat
So while this post comes off of a recent set of patch notes for KMS, this has raised a question about Maplestory as a whole that I wanted to ask about.

In the update, the % Damage on Dawn Warrior’s “Rising Sun” skill, and the boost it gets from the “Master of the Sword” passive is being changed to % Final Damage on the basis of “it helps Dawn Warrior scale better, consistently.”

My question comes in two parts, and I hope I can articulate it correctly.

1) How big of a different is changing 55% damage to 55% Final Damage?
2) If I’m losing 55% of my current damage, but 55% of my final damage is being boosted, do I come out doing more damage, or less damage?

Basically this boils down to how does % Damage scale vs. % Final Damage, which skill is better, and why does this change make Dawn Warrior better at higher levels?

Here’s Dawn Warrior’s current skills in question:

498-C9-BA3-8-A00-4075-80-E4-F0503-FB76737.jpg
A288580-E-2541-432-B-91-B3-BF597230021-F.jpg

Here’s the changes to the skills:

5-A81-CEE1-D8-B4-4519-A735-9-A6-E704-E49-DD.jpg

I think the overall damage buff is still the same, going from 55% damage on Rising Sun to 55% Final Damage, but I could be wrong. I don’t think that changes the question.

Comments

• PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited May 2019
    Final Damage is calculated after all other calculations if I recall correctly, but overall it buffs you pretty well. I play a class with NO Final damage currently, although we will finally get a buff soon.
    AlexUshimato
  • AlexUshimatoAlexUshimato
    edited May 2019
    Petalmagic wrote: »
    Final Damage is calculated after all other calculations if I recall correctly, but overall it buffs you pretty well. I play a class with NO Final damage currently, although we will finally get a buff soon.

So then if my pure damage is being removed and then final damage is being added in its place (going from 55% DMG to 55% Final DMG), is it a net positive, net negative, or stays the same?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited May 2019
    It's a net positive, I believe. Final damage is, quite literally, a final boost to your damage after everything else; crit damage, boss damage, damage % itself, ignored defense, all of it.

I don't think I explained it right, but final damage is a very nice thing to have.
    AlexUshimato
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited May 2019
    %Final damage stack multiplicatively with other source of final damage.
    %Damage/%damage vs boss stack additively with other sources of %Damage/%damage vs boss.

Portion of the damage formula

... * (1 + %damage + % damage vs boss) * (1 + %final damage source 1) * (1 + %final damage source 2) *
    (1 + %final damage source 3) * (1 + %final damage source 4) * ...

Basically they are slowing down the diminishing returns of getting more %damage/%damage vs bosses from equipment/skills/legion/link skills
    AlexUshimato
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited May 2019
    Short Answer: Dmg <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Final Dmg. This is a HUGE buff to DW, a class that had 0% final dmg.
    Overall dmg of DW will increase significantly from this buff
    AlexUshimato
  • AlexUshimatoAlexUshimato
    edited May 2019
    Penguinz0 wrote: »
    Short Answer: Dmg <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Final Dmg. This is a HUGE buff to DW, a class that had 0% final dmg.
    Overall dmg of DW will increase significantly from this buff

I was thinking that would be a huge buff, but it’s nice to hear it put like this. Hopefully we don’t end up having to wait too long for this to be implemented. Really looking forward to it! :D