[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

What happened to all the socialness of Maplestory?

VarsikVarsik
Reactions: 400
edited November 2016 in General Chat
I would just like to know a few things.
-What happened to everyone hanging out in Henesys (Is there a new hangout spot now?)
-What happened to party quests or team-based things. Did something replace these?
-Also boat rides was a good way for meeting people, although thats long gone.

The game feels so empty now, if only you guys could have experienced 2007.
Edit: This game used to be PACKED, filled with people everywhere. Henesys, Ludi, Orbis, you name it. Logging into this game was like logging into a whole universe. There was no other game that could compete.

Comments

• CoppersannCoppersann
    Reactions: 1,105
    edited November 2016
    Maplers these days are more focused on the solo aspects of the game then people back in 2007 I guess..
    Also the game is a lot bigger now so people are more spread out over the world compared to for example pre big bang.
    It also depends on how many people are playing in your server of course..
  • VarsikVarsik
    edited November 2016
    Coppersann

Maplers these days are more focused on the solo aspects of the game then people back in 2007 I guess..
    Also the game is a lot bigger now so people are more spread out over the world compared to for example pre big bang.
    I mained Bera back then, but this time chose Scania pretty much to play with the highest population possible.
  • VilstuVilstu
    Reactions: 520
    edited November 2016
    Varsik
    Varsik said:

Why do you assume that other players didn't experience Maple in 2007?
  • VarsikVarsik
    edited November 2016
    Vilstu
    Vilstu said:

Varsik
    Varsik said:

Because 2007 is a long time ago, it would be more foolish for me to assume that they've been playing for that long.
  • CoppersannCoppersann
    Reactions: 1,105
    edited November 2016
    Maple can still be busy these days, during events or peak time! As far as I know henesys is still the place to go if you want to hang out!
    Here is a picture of MapleStory Europe two days ago during a GM event! image it was super busy!
    JenAskar
  • VilstuVilstu
    edited November 2016
    Varsik
    Varsik said:

Vilstu
    Vilstu said:

Varsik
    Varsik said:

Because 2007 is a long time ago, it would be more foolish for me to assume that they've been playing for that long.
    Quite a lot of have and I feel like a large part of players these days play just because they always have played. I'm sad to say but I don't think Maple is a very attractive game for newcomers.

• VarsikVarsik
    edited November 2016
    Coppersann

Maple can still be busy these days, during events or peak time! As far as I know henesys is still the place to go if you want to hang out!
    Here is a picture of MapleStory Europe two days ago during a GM event! image it was super busy!
    Now that looks a lot like the MS I remember
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Coppersann

Ask why though they are more focused on the solo aspects?

1 They removed party play at LKC/Stronghold
    2 Removed expeditions
    3 Removed party play at Monster Park
    4 Removed boss restrictions where you need people (Except Ursus and a few irrelevant bosses like Scarlion /Targa who have outdated drops)
    5 Removed family/mentor system
    6 Nerfed party quests
    7 Removed party quests like crimsonwood pq and old ones like carinval

Sure they added the party play zones in the most recent patch but that only for like 7x to 15x . Where as before we had party play up to 200 and beyond before. KMS is packed out! every server I just feel that people would come back if more resources was put in to the global version.

@Varsik I still see plenty of people in Henesys channel 1 in GRAZED but that's pretty much the only place I see many people lately.

Romeo and Julliet pq spawn rate was nerfed in to the ground without active kishin it's rubbish. But it's pretty much impossible to get people together for PQs now due to how low the population is. The instability of the game and the bugs along with things like Kishin nerfing and ninja nerfing ect has chased people away. If they just fixed things it could be popular again but I still

People boss solo because you don't get instanced drops in the most bosses likewise exp, that should change in my opinion. Likewise exping is mostly better off soloing. Those areas I mentioned sure they are great if you can find people....... but it's to late most people have quit.

Reboot is even more negative in a way towards community aspect in my opinion.... due to the lack of trading. Which most people have migrated to. You can just meso farm all day ,gear up>kill bosses all on your own if you wanted.

The game needed to reward players for playing together like it did in the past or they won't when they are mostly better off solo except if you can find a party in that reason. Party quests need an overhaul (I think that's coming soon) Party quests need to be the prime way of gaining exp and rewards like it used to be pre unleashed.
    Vekilo
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited November 2016
    Vilstu
    Vilstu said:

Varsik
    Varsik said:

Vilstu
    Vilstu said:

Varsik
    Varsik said:

Quite a lot of have and I feel like a large part of players these days play just because they always have played. I'm sad to say but I don't think Maple is a very attractive game for newcomers.

Yes, but thats EMS. EMS is more active than GMS. And yes I would love that population of EMS. the creation of new worlds are splitting the player base into small sections tbh. SInce, there are just so many choices to choose.

Lilyflower
  • VilstuVilstu
    edited November 2016
    There is no chance ever that EMS is more active than GMS.
  • VarsikVarsik
    edited November 2016
    BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

Vilstu
    Vilstu said:

Varsik
    Varsik said:

Vilstu
    Vilstu said:

Varsik
    Varsik said:

Yes, but thats EMS. EMS is more active than GMS. And yes I would love that population of EMS. the creation of new worlds are splitting the player base into small sections tbh. SInce, there are just so many choices to choose.

I think that is also a huge factor in the population decrease. Theres soo many servers to choose from.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited November 2016
    BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

Vilstu
    Vilstu said:

Varsik
    Varsik said:

Vilstu
    Vilstu said:

Varsik
    Varsik said:

actually GMS is more active, we just have too many servers that make it look less active.

if we got some real server merges ad had only 4 servers excluding Reboot the population would look more active

EMS only had 2 servers, and out of the 2 EMS's Kradia was the most popular and Demethos sounded like a population wasteland from how I've heard other EMS players talk about it.

the problem is, with what I've seen and heard, people dont want "more active" at the cost of losing "their" training spots
  • chaoscauserchaoscauser
    Reactions: 4,740
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Just remember GMS population was way higher, that was the whole reason for the world alliances in the first place..... Not the amount of servers making it look dead it's players quitting because of poor management choices and ninja nerfs,lack of communication ect. Every server used to be well populated maybe bar Renegades . They all could stand alone as well populated servers pre unleashed. No idea how you can say EMS is more populated than GMS.....
  • KerBansotKerBansot
    Reactions: 1,635
    edited November 2016
    I remember when they kept adding worlds because the top worlds were always overflowing/crashing. Back then even Demethos had stores in FM of channel 3.

Personally aside from the reasons stated by others, I think another reason why the playerbase "died" is because people moved on. In our guild's case that was pretty much it. Our guild was a mix of high school/uni kids with a bit of oldies here and there. The then uni kids moved on to focus on their careers, the then high school kids focused on uni.

Tbh, the old maple was too populated it would get quite dramatic often. KS wars every week etc... It was hella stressful for the run organizers because people took the availability for granted thinking they can just get on the next run even if they signed up for a different run. Things took forever but you had no choice but to wait. In a way, I'm not too against the Solostory state we're in now but I do wish we didn't tone down the social aspect this much. It's like the game went from active to dead in one snap.
  • DepressedAranDepressedAran
    Reactions: 640
    edited November 2016
    Nexon's hubris was adding a **** tonne of new servers during their prime. Obviously now it would be logical to have just 5 or 6 worlds like the old days with just Scania, Bera, Broa, Windia and Khaini. More worlds divide the playerbase, and even if people are given to option to world transfer, they're reluctant to move a single main because link skills and other stuff.

Many outdated parts of the game were changed, which in effect made the game less social.
    - Duration of travel from Orbis got significantly reduced
    - Dimension Portal allowed people to travel to almost any map really quickly instead of manually walking
    - Solo grinding yields better exp than pqs in almost every level bracket except RNJ. Which got nerfed because it was ridiculous, but instead of implementing other incentives for people to PQ, they just nerfed the exp. No more KPQ, LPQ, Carnival PQ etc which were fun.

After 12 years Nexon still bad at handling hackers, drove away a bit of their legit playerbase because of the dumb decisions, and banning both hackers and the people who unknowingly bought duped items. Some stuff are beyond Nexon or the player's control, like the shift in the game market. MOBAs are really popular now, and games like MS, a heavy P2W Asian mmo just won't do as well.
    Lilyflower
  • Kylehell007Kylehell007
    Reactions: 1,295
    edited November 2016
    Honestly should consider a whole new exp party formula and a whole new exp gain to 250 to bring back party play. reason why it died was when you could have 5 mules in a party while soloing at hall of honor example and skyrocket past others on ranks. I don't think what they did when they removed hoh was too wise, even stronghold was pretty bad until you got the hang of it, horrible for any form of party exp ever though, always someone who has to exploit stuff and ruin the game exp/lvls/meso/ all adds up
    Lilyflower
  • KeepComingBackKeepComingBack
    Reactions: 2,960
    edited November 2016
    Truthfully, the main reason why I remember the "good old days" to be more social is mostly because there was nothing better to do than to sit in whatever town was most popular at the time and chat up people. Training was excruciatingly slow and near impossible with the KSers and hackers even in popular training maps, end game content was out of reach for an unfunded player like myself, and I was past the PQ level ranges. There was nothing to do besides socialize or make a new character just to do PQs again. And while I am grateful for all the friends I made, I ended up quitting because I hit that wall and so did a lot of my friends.

Now there's a ton of things to do that we didn't have back then. The game has so much more to offer besides being a glorified chatprogram.
    But I do agree that PQs need to become viable again. Don't really see a need for more populated servers until then.
    KerBansot
  • TerrorStreakTerrorStreak
    Reactions: 2,320
    edited November 2016
    Maplestory is far from dead and it is not dying. maplestory is a seasonal game like it always has been. right now school is in, it is a busy time of the year for younger players and older players alike. once winter break hits and 5th job releases it will pick up fast, then after christmas break it will peeter out and then pick up yet again for summer the usual peak of the maplestory season. stop whining, everquest a game that is older than maplestory is still being played to this day with content releases on an even smaller player base lol.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited November 2016
    Well in V uptate they made PQ's beying lv170+ even, so it should be more used, chew chew island have a PQ that give tons of exp and good reward, and people do that everyday, i guess they could add a extra exp for more party members.
    Agent_Dragonfury
  • DepressedAranDepressedAran
    Reactions: 640
    edited November 2016
    TerrorStreak

maplestory is a seasonal game like it always has been. right now school is in, it is a busy time of the year for younger players and older players alike. once winter break hits and 5th job releases it will pick up fast, then after christmas break it will peeter out and then pick up yet again for summer the usual peak of the maplestory season.
    This can be said for literally every online game.
    TerrorStreak

stop whining, everquest a game that is older than maplestory is still being played to this day with content releases on an even smaller player base lol.
    Yeah because EverQuest Next was so successful just as Nexon is trying keep this shitty franchise alive with MS2, which didn't blow up in popularity as they hoped in Korea. EQ and MS are both in the same boat.