[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Make some players into GMs

TribalStarTribalStar
Reactions: 1,015
edited January 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I'm so sick of this, make some of us able to ban these bitters and spammers. I will be one on EU maple and be banning every single Mose spammer and every bitter in mu lung. Why you don't employ GMs is beyond me, the game would run better without them I am sure of it!
  1. Employ Gms26 votes
    1. About time
       88% (23 votes)
    2. No I like botting
       12% (3 votes)

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    They don't want to employ (read: pay a salary to) any more people, players or not.
    And if it's not employees, but volunteers, well, they tried that with the MWLB (Maple Watch Leaf Brigade), and it didn't work out.
  • LeFrenchieLeFrenchie
    Reactions: 710
    edited January 2017
    They don't want to employ (read: pay a salary to) any more people, players or not.
    And if it's not employees, but volunteers, well, they tried that with the MWLB (Maple Watch Leaf Brigade), and it didn't work out.

What exactly was the maple Watch Brigade, and why did it not work out?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    The Maple Watch Leaf Brigade was created in 2009 and officially shut down in 2012.

The members were players hand-picked by Nexon to be "GM helpers". They had special accounts, separate from their player accounts. The special accounts had some GM powers, like teleport and invisibility. They did not have the ability to ban other players or affect them in any way (such as teleport elsewhere). They did have the ability to submit reports and videos that would be looked at by real GMs. They also participated in "mini-GM events" of playing Omok and Match-Cards with players.

The program failed for various reasons. From what I understand, people kept losing interest and drifting out, mostly because Nexon failed to do its part: there's nothing more disenheartening for a volunteer than to submit a report and video on a hacker, and have it take another month before they get banned.

The final shutdown reason, however, was breaking NDA. Same as the MLC.

Nexon's announcement: http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=19158
    Some specific Watcher introductions:
    http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=19676
    http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=20579
    http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=21785
    http://www.southperry.net/showthread.php?t=23171
    There were more but they were all just as cringeworthy.
    I could not find an official notice of the program's being shut down, sorry.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited January 2017
    -sees another thread- Q_Q Its too bad my resume isn't good enough...Id take the real job...
  • scholar624scholar624
    Reactions: 3,315
    edited January 2017
    It seems like every attempt in getting the community involved always backfires; whether the program is for a brigade, council, apprenticeship, or minutemen. Do you think this is from a lack of trust from the community, Nexon, or a little of both?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    scholar624 wrote: »
    It seems like every attempt in getting the community involved always backfires; whether the program is for a brigade, council, apprenticeship, or minutemen. Do you think this is from a lack of trust from the community, Nexon, or a little of both?

I place the blame squarely on Nexon's shoulders.
    Even if the volunteers picked were unsuitable for their positions, and did their job poorly or broke NDA, it is ultimately Nexon's fault for not selecting them correctly. I refuse to believe that in the entire community there cannot be found a few dozen people who are capable, responsible, and willing to work to help the game.

With the MWLB, as I said, Nexon failed to properly motivate the volunteers to continue working.
    With the MLC, from what I saw, Nexon largely ignored all their suggestions, or at best took from them what looked like it would make money (Oz in Marvel), completely ignoring the spirit of the resolution.
    In both cases, Nexon did not allocate resources to interacting with the volunteers and using their contribution. It's not too terribly surprising that people lost their drive, and eventually one (or more) got upset enough to break NDA. (Should not happen, of course, even when frustrated. But see previous paragraph about choosing the right people).

Also, not every attempt fails. The Volunteer Forum Moderator position seems to be working out well, for the most part. I believe this is because Nexon has no choice (they certainly aren't going to hire paid moderators, and the CM is overworked as it is), so they are willing to put in some effort to make it work. But with "mini-GMs" or a "game design advisory council" - well, they already have paid people doing that work, kind of. Higher management doesn't really understand what the player volunteers contribute that makes it worth the extra hassle to interface with them.

In my opinion.
    Ivangold
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited January 2017
    I think if they look to the forums and respond when they are going to do something about or they know the issue might be better than have players as GMs to help or something similar.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2017
    I don't see how you can blame Nexon for most people being untrustworthy in any sort of elevated position. It extends far beyond this game and company, most people simply cannot be trusted. We used to have a test server much like KMS does, but that's gone. Why? Because it was for testing new content, finding and reporting bugs and exploits, but people would only do part of the job; they'd find exploits but keep quiet about them, then go nuts once things hit the live servers.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited January 2017
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    I don't see how you can blame Nexon for most people being untrustworthy in any sort of elevated position. It extends far beyond this game and company, most people simply cannot be trusted. We used to have a test server much like KMS does, but that's gone. Why? Because it was for testing new content, finding and reporting bugs and exploits, but people would only do part of the job; they'd find exploits but keep quiet about them, then go nuts once things hit the live servers.
    or just use it to play the new content before it gets to the live servers and not submit reports of any kind; However, at the same time it was kinda useless cause it wasn't going to be fixed by the time it went live anyway if we are going to be 100% honest.

a public test server is uneccissary for GMS unless we get frequent unique content which isnt coming from other Maple regions.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017

How does Nexon manage to find trustworthy employees, then?
    How do they manage to find mostly trustworthy VFMs - and get rid of the bad apples without abolishing the entire program?

The people picked for the test server were completely random, so of course there would be plenty of useless or just plain malicious ones there.
    But the MWLB and MLC were supposedly hand-picked after a lengthy process, and were still rendered useless and (a few) eventually driven to corruption (or simple carelessness).
    ZeldaOfHyrule
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited January 2017

I'm actually with Akradian on this one. It does all fall on Nexon. There are trustworthy people around and a lot of them don't get the chance. Whatever system they had in place for choosing people needs to be reworked.

There are test servers on so many MMOs and all of them get used like you said. It's understandable because people want to try out the new content. As for people abusing exploits, that again falls on Nexon for not enforcing and not enforcing nearly fast enough. People will exploit either way and if they know they can get away with it easily they will be more inclined to do it. To say most will do this is wrong though. The problem with the test server is most people don't feel it's worth their time to stick around and do a job for Nexon especially after they've seen all they need to content wise. The solution to this? Add incentive to find and report bugs. I know most people would rather be playing on their mains on the live servers rather than finding bugs on the test server.

The MWLB was brought in at a time when lots of people were young. I mean there's still a lot of young people now but there are also far more vets who have continued to play and are in their 20's. Far more mature and knowledgeable about the game. I think they should bring something like it back without the cringe announcements. Just make it a secret thing. GMs need to actually follow up on the reports and the players chosen need to be chosen far better. There are people who have reported and gotten hundreds of people banned. These are the people you want on the MWLB.

The situation in game right now is beyond disgusting. Botting has never been so widespread. I see so many players botting now. I'm not talking about gold farmers which have been around forever. I'm talking about actual players botting/hacking on their mains. They simply do not give a crap anymore because that's how things have become. You have loads of people using macros, people watching their characters macro, afk macroing and a lot of them are making it all the way to 250 without even being touched. The fact that they even make it past 210 baffles me especially since it's so easy to identify macro botters. I don't know if this laziness, lack of staff or lack of experience on the GMs part since Nexon is never transparent with us anymore. I even said before the V patch more players would be macro botting and they have done absolutely nothing. After a major patch like this you would have wanted the GMs to be out in full force making sure nobody starts botting for nodestones and arcane symbols. Sadly they've all gotten away with it because there's no GMs around at all.

You also have the world record event currently running. There's a hacker/gold farmer that has a world record....still not banned btw. Just shows you how bad the situation is atm. In any other game these players would be banned in no more than 1 day.
  • OlueOlue
    Reactions: 645
    edited January 2017
    Because with great power comes great responsibility. Who is to promise that these "player GM" won't abuse this power and start banning random people for the sake of having power. Sure these player GM's can then get "banned", but Nexon employee's can't even properly ban most people to start with, so that's hopeless. It's actually shocking though that having players become GM might be the only solution to fixing the current issue, at the cost of creating more issues of course. We already know Nexon's economic policy is milking a dead cow, so I will give them a bit of slack, but seriously the bans need to happen and be much quicker than this.
  • PeepPeep
    edited February 2017
    Olue wrote: »
    Because with great power comes great responsibility. Who is to promise that these "player GM" won't abuse this power and start banning random people for the sake of having power. Sure these player GM's can then get "banned", but Nexon employee's can't even properly ban most people to start with, so that's hopeless. It's actually shocking though that having players become GM might be the only solution to fixing the current issue, at the cost of creating more issues of course. We already know Nexon's economic policy is milking a dead cow, so I will give them a bit of slack, but seriously the bans need to happen and be much quicker than this.

They don't need to give GM banning powers, just invis and teleport like they used to. Like I have said and others they need to choose the players better.

• PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited February 2017
    Olue wrote: »

Considering I have a full on resume I prepared...Id treat it like a real job, but eh...Nexon doesn't want my help :T Like...Id go through a scrutinous recruiting process with full enthusiasm cuz I want to help...cuz I know what botters look like and where they tend to hide around. (I report them quite often)
  • WickedSpiritWickedSpirit
    Reactions: 530
    edited February 2017
    Banning hackers is useless and nexon knows it, thats why there is always so many hackers/botters.
    You ban all the hackers, then few minutes later there is again full of hackers. You ban them all again and few minute later there is again full of hackers....
    So... you really think they are gonna waste their times? No. Their is much more important things to fix like the stability, bugs, and all those things instead of banning hackers when you know that there is gonna be a bunch of new hackers the next day.

• PeepPeep
    edited February 2017
    Banning hackers is useless and nexon knows it, thats why there is always so many hackers/botters.
    You ban all the hackers, then few minutes later there is again full of hackers. You ban them all again and few minute later there is again full of hackers....
    So... you really think they are gonna waste their times? No. Their is much more important things to fix like the stability, bugs, and all those things instead of banning hackers when you know that there is gonna be a bunch of new hackers the next day.

They can at least keep the player base legit by banning macro botters. They refuse to do even that. It's not useless too, but the way they currently go about it is. You can do severe damage to gold farmers if you ban their supply accounts which hold billions. It would lose them money and cause a price rise in meso to dollar. Just follow the money. Look at fm right now. I've seen the same guys selling mass elite boss stock for years now. They don't get banned.
  • WickedSpiritWickedSpirit
    Reactions: 530
    edited February 2017
    Peep wrote: »
    They can at least keep the player base legit by banning macro botters. They refuse to do even that.
    Because macro botter is like hackers. You can ban all the macro botters now and few hours later there are new macro botters everywhere...
    Its a waste of time since you will never be able to remove them all once and for all.
  • FlareyuFlareyu
    Reactions: 455
    edited February 2017
    Ban them all and keep doing it until the pests are eradicated. There's nothing more frustrating than cheaters draining resources from the legitimate player who actually wants to play the game. If other games can do this, then Nexon can too, but they clearly don't want to use their resources to handle this problem.
  • NekudanNekudan
    Reactions: 910
    edited February 2017
    This sounds like a terrible idea.
    Dont get me wrong, i'd love the power to kick out those Advertisers in Free market, Ardentmill and of course towns.
    Aswell as kicking the botters.
    But theres no way we would, should or could be trusted with that sort of power.

Only takes one mistake for us to screw up and kick/ban a legit player.
    Its not fair on Nexon to have to take reponsibilty based on a players actions towards another player like that.

Nexon are the control, thats why staff are GMs and not Players.
    Aggraphinegenji123
  • PeepPeep
    edited February 2017
    Peep wrote: »
    They can at least keep the player base legit by banning macro botters. They refuse to do even that.
    Because macro botter is like hackers. You can ban all the macro botters now and few hours later there are new macro botters everywhere...
    Its a waste of time since you will never be able to remove them all once and for all.

Wrong. Gold farmers use hacks. The people macro botting are actual players some of which have invested thousands of dollars into their characters. These players once banned will not continue macro botting and will most likely not come back. They can easily resolve this issue but have done little to nothing.
    Nekudan wrote: »
    This sounds like a terrible idea.
    Dont get me wrong, i'd love the power to kick out those Advertisers in Free market, Ardentmill and of course towns.
    Aswell as kicking the botters.
    But theres no way we would, should or could be trusted with that sort of power.

Only takes one mistake for us to screw up and kick/ban a legit player.
    Its not fair on Nexon to have to take reponsibilty based on a players actions towards another player like that.

Nexon are the control, thats why staff are GMs and not Players.

They'd only have invis and teleport functions...

Giving them banning powers would be stupid.